Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

suicide squad is poorly edited. it has nothing to do with a trailer house or what have you. recycling of shots isn't really an example of it, it's more there isn't a logical continuity between a lot of the cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

suicide squad is poorly edited. it has nothing to do with a trailer house or what have you. recycling of shots isn't really an example of it, it's more there isn't a logical continuity between a lot of the cuts.

It is a bafflingly poorly made movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If WB were truly committed to the artistic vision of Zack Snyder or whoever that would be one thing, but the major problem is they panic and interfere in really extreme ways at the last minute. Like the problems of BvS are entirely down to the script being over complicated and the Cinematic Universe material being really shoehorned in, etc. Suicide Squad has a lot of good material put together in this odd way that doesn't play it to its strengths.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would argue that there isn't a difference between tasteless and bad when what comes out is as awful as Suicide Squad.

The difference is that nobody has said Suicide Squad is merely bad. There is fundamental agreement that it is exceptionally trashy - it's just that SMG/Hundu/myself are saying, "Lol, remember when the first melee fight in the movie was lame as poo poo?," and you are saying, "I still can't even put into words how lame that melee fight was."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Maxwell Lord posted:

If WB were truly committed to the artistic vision of Zack Snyder or whoever that would be one thing, but the major problem is they panic and interfere in really extreme ways at the last minute. Like the problems of BvS are entirely down to the script being over complicated and the Cinematic Universe material being really shoehorned in, etc. Suicide Squad has a lot of good material put together in this odd way that doesn't play it to its strengths.

I bet the pre BVS release cut of SS was a lot more competent but still pretty bad. Assuming that it had gotten to editing before the reshoots started.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

K. Waste posted:

The difference is that nobody has said Suicide Squad is merely bad. There is fundamental agreement that it is exceptionally trashy - it's just that SMG/Hundu/myself are saying, "Lol, remember when the first melee fight in the movie was lame as poo poo?," and you are saying, "I still can't even put into words how lame that melee fight was."

That's a pretty condescending way to put it.

E: also I was saying that it was outright bad, especially for a big budget film that was suppose to help establish a film franchise, not simply tasteless. It's pretty weird that you decided that I'm angry about it or whatever.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 20, 2017

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The threat in Suicide Squad being one created by their own abject incompetence (or rather, Amanda Waller's) is pretty dumb, and the fact she receives zero comeuppance other than "oh they extract some data off her brains" makes it worse especially with the random scene of her executing intelligence agents.

I also don't recall the city getting destroyed and turned into Staple Horror Game Mooks ville was anything significant. Like it wasn't that important in the whole scheme of things despite it sounding like a genuine threat. In contrast in Avengers 2 the urgency in saving the floating Romanian city somehow felt real, despite it being some random place nobody outside marvel would care about

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I had the good fortune of watching the extended cut of s s without knowing about the atrocities of he theatrical cut, the additional beats to some scenes do make it better (not good. Just better) and the joker scenes actually give him and Harley way more character and necessity to the plot. Still not a good movie .

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

That's a pretty condescending way to put it.

E: also I was saying that it was outright bad, especially for a big budget film that was suppose to help establish a film franchise, not simply tasteless. It's pretty weird that you decided that I'm angry about it or whatever.

I didn't say anything about anger, or make any personal comments at all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

K. Waste posted:

I didn't say anything about anger, or make any personal comments at all.

No but you did say that no one said that SS was "merely bad" when loterally all my posts on the topic have been saying that the film is just bad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The threat in Suicide Squad being one created by their own abject incompetence (or rather, Amanda Waller's) is pretty dumb, and the fact she receives zero comeuppance other than "oh they extract some data off her brains" makes it worse especially with the random scene of her executing intelligence agents.

what makes these things bad though? the movie knows that amanda waller is just as much of a monster as the enchantress but only one gets the backing of the u.s. government and therefore gets away scotfree

suicide squad's execution was pretty hit or miss but the things you're bringing up make the movie more interesting to me, not less

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rirse posted:

Didn't Mystery Men give us Smash Mouth's All Star?

Good god.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

No but you did say that no one said that SS was "merely bad" when loterally all my posts on the topic have been saying that the film is just bad.

Nah, mate, you said the editing was "extremely bad" and that the film is "bafflingly poorly made." I don't associate extremity/bafflement with plain mediocrity, and in general both positive and negative appraisals of Suicide Squad end up expressing the former and not the latter. Obviously, Saddest Rhino is doing a better job of expressing his displeasure with the movie, while also citing rather effectively the myriad stupid, mean-spirited, and trashy elements of the film; like Waller's "abject incompetence," for which she receives no 'poetic justice.'

I am condescending to no one. I am saying I agree: Suicide Squad is really trashy, and its exceptionally trashy elements are worth talking about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The conversation is about "fun" movies that take a while to get recognized for whatever it is makes them "fun" like the beloved films of the 90's. Well, since you can't be 12 again, you could at least try to be honest. People love trash. People love weird poo poo.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this subforum is a goddamn cesspool.

You're still here!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

K. Waste posted:

Nah, mate, you said the editing was "extremely bad" and that the film is "bafflingly poorly made." I don't associate extremity/bafflement with plain mediocrity, and in general both positive and negative appraisals of Suicide Squad end up expressing the former and not the latter. Obviously, Saddest Rhino is doing a better job of expressing his displeasure with the movie, while also citing rather effectively the myriad stupid, mean-spirited, and trashy elements of the film; like Waller's "abject incompetence," for which she receives no 'poetic justice.'

I am condescending to no one. I am saying I agree: Suicide Squad is really trashy, and its exceptionally trashy elements are worth talking about.

Since when does bad mean mediocre?

E: my bafflement was merely at how bad the editing was, not at the low quality of the film as a whole. Sorry that wasn't clear. And The Saddest Rhino is an excellent poster.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 20, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Since when does bad mean mediocre?

Since whenever it became apparent that some things of exceptionally poor quality are in function and/or form, superior to things which are merely competent and conventional.

Like most American colloquialisms, it's pretty much appropriated from black culture - "bad" as in a coded "good," as opposed to "bad" as in a coded "white/bland."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

got any sevens posted:

Jury Duty? That'd be my lowest from that list.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Brother Entropy posted:

what makes these things bad though? the movie knows that amanda waller is just as much of a monster as the enchantress but only one gets the backing of the u.s. government and therefore gets away scotfree

it's interesting but the film handles it p terribly

After handling the Enchantress, what happens? they get ten years off and go back to jail, one with an espresso machine (haha!) also boomerang gets nothing because he wants to drink beer

Wouldn't it be much more compelling if the rest of the squad, decides to go rogue and try to kill Waller, and they completely loving failed because she gets the full backing of the US government. Like there would actually be more agency/motivation for the next movie rather than "we are naughty but somehow conscientious villains"

And rick flagg, the least interesting member even after the rope guy who gets killed within 2 mins of screentime*, has the potential to have this whole "should i side with waller/USA or SS (who are right that the US doesn't respect us and would rather us die)?" conversation, is like... ehhhh okay back to being in love with enchantress, k.

didn't the dispossessed enchantress also get away scott free?

* seriously, him being "enchantress's fuckboi" has so much capacity to be interesting but instead he's just discount bin frank grillo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Boomerang doesn't get nothing. He gets ten years off his sentence, just like he asks for.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's interesting but the film handles it p terribly

After handling the Enchantress, what happens? they get ten years off and go back to jail, one with an espresso machine (haha!) also boomerang gets nothing because he wants to drink beer

Wouldn't it be much more compelling if the rest of the squad, decides to go rogue and after Waller instead, and they completely loving failed because she gets the full backing of the US government. Like there would actually be more agency/motivation for the next movie rather than "we are naughty but somehow conscientious villains"

And rick flagg, the least interesting member even after the rope guy who gets killed within 2 mins of screentime*, has the potential to have this whole "should i side with waller/USA or SS (who are right that the US doesn't respect us and would rather us die)?" conversation, is like... ehhhh okay back to being in love with enchantress, k.

didn't the dispossessed enchantress also get away scott free?

* seriously, him being "enchantress's fuckboi" has so much capacity to be interesting but instead he's just discount bin frank grillo

tbh i kinda start checking out of movie criticism that involves 'why didn't they do this wildly different plot instead'

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

well poo poo, i kinda wished they made him get nothing because it would be (a) a better joke and (b) emblematic of how lovely Waller & the US gov is to these guys

Brother Entropy posted:

tbh i kinda start checking out of movie criticism that involves 'why didn't they do this wildly different plot instead'

good for u bro

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well poo poo, i kinda wished they made him get nothing because it would be (a) a better joke and (b) emblematic of how lovely Waller & the US gov is to these guys

Instead they gave him less than nothing. This is like Bruce Wayne coming to dinner with Waller to trade intel. Waller should be dead and Bruce should be a good guy. What gives?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Instead they gave him less than nothing. This is like Bruce Wayne coming to dinner with Waller to trade intel. Waller should be dead and Bruce should be a good guy. What gives?

bruce being a good guy? that's a wildly different plot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bruce being a good guy? that's a wildly different plot.

Not really, his two appearances so far are all about whether he's a good guy or not.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cyber City Oedo 808 is the better Suicide Squad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A whole lot of terrible movies are fun.

The quest for middlebrow respectability is a trap. At the end, you're loving boring

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't have a problem with that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

The quest for middlebrow respectability is a trap. At the end, you're loving boring

Not all movies are created equal

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

A live-action film would be hilarious just for how they handle Benten.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

K. Waste posted:

My top picks for 2016's best bad movies are Meet the Blacks, London Has Fallen, and Gods of Egypt

London Has Fallen suffers massively from the fact that it is exceedingly dull for a bad movie when compared with its immediate predecessor

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Not all movies are created equal

Absolutely not. The ones I don't like are bad

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

but i love both good and bad films??????

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

but i love both good and bad films??????

Same

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
"Abloo bloo bloo, someone's engaging in the quest for middlebrow respectability"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Which is why we're all such good company.

HannibalBarca posted:

London Has Fallen suffers massively from the fact that it is exceedingly dull for a bad movie when compared with its immediate predecessor

I can at one level thoroughly understand what you're talking about here - but at another level believe firmly that the derivative premise of the Has Fallen franchise works better in the context of a slapdash sequel. The patriotism is definitely more gleefully, subversively morbid in London.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you're going animated there's always Batman: Assault on Arkham.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

K. Waste posted:

Which is why we're all such good company.

I can at one level thoroughly understand what you're talking about here - but at another level believe firmly that the derivative premise of the Has Fallen franchise works better in the context of a slapdash sequel. The patriotism is definitely more gleefully, subversively morbid in London.

I maintain that it's a stealth satire. There's too many little touches for it to be an accident.
For a start, the villain has actually been wronged. He doesn't just have some vague agenda. Morgan Freeman is specifically filmed staring directly in the camera exactly like a villain. Morgan Freeman and the president both lose their bouts of verbal sparring with the villains. Instead of verbally crushing the villain and claiming the moral high ground, when confronted with the family deaths motivating the baddies, both men just sort of awkwardly trail off and change the subject. The swearing in the film sound so consistently and perfectly like a 13 year old's idea of a tough guy. A good chunk of the bad guys are dressed as good guys, specifically cops and soldiers, and at the point they encounter the ones dressed as soldiers, there's no reason for them to still be in disguise. The terrorists are a bunch of well dressed, well spoken guys with specific grievances, rather than lunatics twirling their mustaches. The films begins and ends with a drone strike. The first definitely kills a kid (spawning the bad guy) while the final drone strike is in an area that's 'cleared of civilians' yet we see civilians when it hits. Meanwhile, the terrorists stage precise hits with few civilian casualties. I'm pretty sure Gerard Butler was in on the joke, since he plays the character drunk and unhinged. At one point, while he's interrogating some baddie with a knife, it cuts to wide shot, and you realise it's just a crazy muttering guy stabbing someone he managed to crawl over to. A few minutes later he shoots an unarmed villain who's confined to a wheelchair with such glee and enthusiasm that I refuse to believe he didn't know exactly what he was doing.
It's a movie where the villains showed up from a much better, more nuanced film, while the heroes are from some terrible unreleased Canon film, all acting like they're the cheap replacements in a barely licensed sequel. They're not, because they're the original cast, but I feel like they've all lost some value in the
interim.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Young Freud posted:

A live-action film would be hilarious just for how they handle Benten.

Cast Tilda Swinton?

...poo poo, now I want to hear her say the vampire line.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's interesting to me that Hollywood leading men have to have action franchises associated with them. Matt Damon has Jason Bourne films, Keanu now has John Wick, Liam Neeson has Taken etc. etc. But sometimes there's not a 1:1 actor to franchise ratio.

It's like Gerard Butler got so famous that they just had to put him in a franchise and the 'Has Fallen' series was just what they had lying around. Like, he is a Leading Man so he has to have a string of films where he shoots baddies, but they just couldn't find a better fit than him playing American Mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

he was doing well as charming Scottish rogue in the second tomb raider movie but then Jolie killed him (tearfully) , so

At least he was better than Daniel Craig

• Locked thread