Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I learned Vicky in Victoria 1 by playing Japan, and recommend it to anyone whom hasn't learned it yet.

Yeah, Japan's a great place to start, in Vic/Vic2. I wound up colonizing modern-day Somalia, then took over Oman and Yemen and ended up monopolizing the world opium trade!
Would recommend :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A nice start after you have a handle on the game is czechslovakia. Release it from Austria at the start of the game and you have a small, densly populated country with good resources for industry surrounded by 3 great powers. Strong tech as well since you dont need to worry about a navy.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

I learned Vicky in Victoria 1 by playing Japan, and recommend it to anyone whom hasn't learned it yet.

I played a little as Japan taking Brunei as a protectorate but stopped there. Why would Japan be better than say Brazil or the USA for a beginner?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know. Because the Meiji Era.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
japan can expand militarily pretty easily i guess. but the real best country to start with is mexico

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

Fair enough. I did enjoy the fact I could quickly and relatively easily take both Brunei and Jahore within the first few months/year without any opposition.

corn in the bible posted:

japan can expand militarily pretty easily i guess. but the real best country to start with is mexico

Why Mexico?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Yeah, Japan is the easiest nation ro westernize and GP, can run a train on all nearby nations like Korea and Ryukyu and then gently caress over China easily once it has a decent western military.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
japan gets special events & decisions for westernization, iirc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

800 years

:worship: :worship: :worship:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Holy f*ckballs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This mod is becoming too powerful

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This mod is becoming too powerful

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
all the stellaris dev diaries about hive minds and poo poo look really cool. i don't quite understand how significant they are or aren't, since i haven't played the game, but they look real cool.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
it looks pretty rad in that they're introducing asymmetrical systems that are mutually exclusive and only open to certain players (like hive minds can't coexist with regular pops), which is exciting for future expansions and stuff too. helps get at that feeling of coming up against something truly different and alien from your own species as you explore space

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

paradox said they're gonna unfuck the air combat in the next hoi4 dlc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why the gently caress are they adding Australia to Civ VI but not Persia or Babylon

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Why the gently caress are they adding Australia to Civ VI but not Persia or Babylon

I agree, I'm Australian and I think it's a stupid idea to have Australia as a civ - much like the US, in fact. :colbert: I think they should get rid of both, and have actual civilization variety in the game

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

I agree, I'm Australian and I think it's a stupid idea to have Australia as a civ - much like the US, in fact. :colbert: I think they should get rid of both, and have actual civilization variety in the game

Brazil being in but not Portugal made me scratch my head as well

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Go talk about civ in games you gbs dipshits.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

NO SE PASDaanr Motherfuck,er Lol Franco is a uwrrtt HE canbt kill me t osave his love but Salaxar he had a tisland like irpprortutauease Ganay Island andi l iekd totRTtried To take it but he was I my naval was rto smoalll vux i was fighjt in gFrancerFrano.Franco

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
same

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

is ck2 good again

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

is ck2 good again

Yeah. You can undo most (but not all) of the damage Groogy did in the settings at game start and the last DLC was good. The next one looks good too.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Europa is so badass even though I have no idea what I'm doing. Love it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Europa is so badass even though I have no idea what I'm doing. Love it.

It's my favorite map game and one of my all time fave games period. Who you playing as

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah. You can undo most (but not all) of the damage Groogy did in the settings at game start and the last DLC was good. The next one looks good too.

ill have to check it out once it releases, ive been wanting to see religious orders in the game for a while

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

It's my favorite map game and one of my all time fave games period. Who you playing as

Spain, with friends playing Portugal and Brandenburg. I have so many ducats that I don't know what to spend them on.

Colonizing is fun, I'm still learning which areas are useful to colonize. I have colonies all over the new world right now.

Right now I'm on a string of terrible monarchs. My last 2 have had 0 diplomatic power and my current heir has 1. It's not a huge deal, I just wish I knew if there was any way to influence how good my next heir will be. My last 2 guys were Holy Roman Emperors at least.

This game has so much more going on than HoI. It's going to take a while to understand all of the underlying systems.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can't do anything about heirs outside of random events happening. I cry and scream and wet myself whenever I get like a 1/0/0

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

disinherit those fuckers, if you're spain you'll be rolling in prestige

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's 1534 and no colonialism. no european or asian nation has unlocked quest for the new world. what

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in my last aztec run portugal settled all of cuba/haiti and i had to wait until 1600 to reform off of france in panama. and then i found out portugal was the emperor of an hre with no electors and kicked out of iberia so their capital was in africa. so that was funny

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

so here i am just trying to take frankfurt so i can become germany and those mother fuckers go ahead and elect france as the holy roman emperor of the like 10 remaining holy roman empire places just to spite me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

it's 1534 and no colonialism. no european or asian nation has unlocked quest for the new world. what

Yeah now that idea groups are always dynamic for the AI the only guaranteed colonizers are the handful of nations with bonus colonists. It's sweet if your playing an East Asian or an African because there's a good chance you can get the institution to spawn for yourself

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's a cool idea but it means that americans are hosed, because the only way to get out of 100% tech penalties and an inability to build boats is to reform off a european. maybe they should add the ability to reform without a european, but you don't get any bonus techs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

BBJoey posted:

maybe they should add the ability to reform without a european, but you don't get any bonus techs.

:worship:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

it's a cool idea but it means that americans are hosed, because the only way to get out of 100% tech penalties and an inability to build boats is to reform off a european. maybe they should add the ability to reform without a european, but you don't get any bonus techs.

But it wouldn't be historically accurate!!!

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
hey whats the first nation i should play as in eu4 if i havent played anything except eu2 and dont remember anything about it

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ottomen

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Banana Man posted:

hey whats the first nation i should play as in eu4 if i havent played anything except eu2 and dont remember anything about it

Portugal is pretty easy and fun. You can't really do all that much, but it is a good way to learn the basics. I think if you turn off historical focus spain will go off the rails and murder you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Banana Man posted:

England