Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

With trophies and collectibles and completion rates and higher difficulty levels always staring me in the face it's tough to say I've "mastered" any game in a long time. I was pretty rad at Super Double Dragon, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I played chivalry when it was a source mod competitively for a few months. We were knights of the round table and i was knighted as Sir Galahad. Which, knowing arthurian legends, is both rad and humiliating as a young man.

Otherwise, at one point i could reliably give the same info on Oblivion as uesp.net
Think i spent 800 hours on that game, on xbox 360 only too.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I have purchased Resident Evil 4 on so many platforms it is ridiculous. As a matter of fact it may be time to finish another game of Resident Evil 4 on Wii with the handcannon again because why the gently caress not.

A close second for times completed is Super Mario Bros 3, then Super Mario World. These are both essentially flawless games and I will stop what I am doing to play through them at any time.

I just finished Metal Gear Solid 1 for the first time and something tells me I am going to be replaying this whole series for basically ever.

Oh poo poo, Vice City, too. I won't claim to be amazing at it but it is a game I can just play forever. I have beaten its terrible story so many times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just remembered Nier Automata comes out really soon. This is a good month for hacking and slashing things in video games

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have purchased Resident Evil 4 on so many platforms it is ridiculous. As a matter of fact it may be time to finish another game of Resident Evil 4 on Wii with the handcannon again because why the gently caress not.

A close second for times completed is Super Mario Bros 3, then Super Mario World. These are both essentially flawless games and I will stop what I am doing to play through them at any time.

I just finished Metal Gear Solid 1 for the first time and something tells me I am going to be replaying this whole series for basically ever.

Oh poo poo, Vice City, too. I won't claim to be amazing at it but it is a game I can just play forever. I have beaten its terrible story so many times.

Something that kind of blew my mind was realizing that Vice City is set in 1986 and came out in 2002, 16 years later, and right now we're only one year away from it being that long from when Vice City came out to the present day.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

codenameFANGIO posted:

I don't think there is any game I purchased more than RE4.

Granted that's only three times but still I spent money on the same game three times and I don't regret a single dollar because RE4 is perfect.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

Kerbal Space Program. It's less a game than a toybox, but it's amazing how rewarding it can be to perform a whole mission, stretching over hours of real time and millions of miles, because you correctly planned and constructed the perfect vehicle for it. I didn't stop playing it until I'd landed an astronaut and returned them home from every celestial body in the game.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Granted that's only three times but still I spent money on the same game three times and I don't regret a single dollar because RE4 is perfect.

Like DOOM and DOOM 2 you can never own too many copies of Resident Evil 4.

Guy Mann posted:

Something that kind of blew my mind was realizing that Vice City is set in 1986 and came out in 2002, 16 years later, and right now we're only one year away from it being that long from when Vice City came out to the present day.

:stare:

It's a shame the 2000's is a culturally bankrupt time period or we could have a decent modern Vice City sequel set there

Also you are ruining my life with that information.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

codenameFANGIO posted:

:stare:

It's a shame the 2000's is a culturally bankrupt time period or we could have a decent modern Vice City sequel set there

Also you are ruining my life with that information.

To be fair it came out literally right after 9/11, which is probably the biggest cultural shakeup America has had in that time aside from maybe smart phones and social media.

Also, San Andreas was set in 1992 and came out in 2004. It was 12 years in the past...13 years ago.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Guy Mann posted:

the period of time from the moon landing to your birth is probably shorter than your birth to right now

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I played Demon's Crest so much and so often at one point I legit considered speedrunning it since speedruns of that game are all skill based and dont rely on any crazy bugs.

I platinum'd every single ratchet and clank game and played those just a fuckload over the past few decades.

I also replay La Mulana(the remake or EX, depending on what I feel like playing it on.) very often and have the very hard to get plat for it as well as all the steam cheevos.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

the period of time from the moon landing to your birth is probably shorter than your birth to right now

jesus christ

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i've played link to the past many times because its the only perfect videogame

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

:aaaaa:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oddium posted:

well yeah it was only 15 years inbetween for me, most millenials and gen xes have way overshot that already

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like this tidbit a lot: more time passed between the Great Pyramid of Giza being completed and Cleopatra being born than between Cleopatra being born and now, right now.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There's no easy way to phrase that tidbit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

There's no easy way to phrase that tidbit

It's still crazy cool though. History is cool and vast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

corn in the bible posted:

I think the instrumentation is kinda lovely on most of the score. All those tunes could sound way better on the SNES.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaggitz posted:

I also replay La Mulana(the remake or EX, depending on what I feel like playing it on.) very often and have the very hard to get plat for it as well as all the steam cheevos.

:eyepop:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I got pretty drat good at the Batman: Arkham City combat rooms, especially the Nightwing ones. I just love that combat system, how it's so simple at first but how deep it can be once they're throwing every trick in the book at you and you know if you gently caress up one button press you're going to lose your 300x combo. Plus the takedowns in that game rule, I loved how you could jump off railings and use enemies against another.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

I like this tidbit a lot: more time passed between the Great Pyramid of Giza being completed and Cleopatra being born than between Cleopatra being born and now, right now.

there were still woolly mammoths hanging around for a few hundred years after the pyramids were built

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I used to consider myself proficient at many video games until I started to check out online communities for such games.

Here are the ones I consider myself "best at"

- Super Mario Bros
- Super Mario World
- Super Metroid
- Metroid Prime
- Turok Dinosaur Hunter

I can't get anywhere close to speedrun levels or anything but I can practically play through those games with my eyes closed and that's probably good enough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

oddium posted:

there were still woolly mammoths hanging around for a few hundred years after the pyramids were built

Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.

Wait what?

Wikipedia posted:

Teaching at Oxford existed in some form as early as 1096, but it is unclear when a university came into being.

Woah...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In Training posted:

The very first Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and it all stemmed from having to be better at it than my younger brother.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

As a kid, Resident Evil 2. I never did beat the bonus Tofu challenge though.
I remember getting invisible difficulty on RE-make and giving up on that, too.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm pretty good at games in general, but then I see the insane poo poo people pull off nowadays with games I could consider myself good at and suddenly my frame of reference goes out the bloody window.

Mak0rz posted:

codenameFANGIO posted:

:same: I have it for the GC, PS2, the PS3 HD version and the latest PC version. I also finished it on a friend's Wii.

Also speaking of DOOM , here it is running on... a Porsche 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMpNA86e8Q

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can beat Metroid zero mission in like 50 minutes

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm pretty good at games in general, but then I see the insane poo poo people pull off nowadays with games I could consider myself good at and suddenly my frame of reference goes out the bloody window.

:same: I have it for the GC, PS2, the PS3 HD version and the latest PC version. I also finished it on a friend's Wii.

Yeah I have the GC, Wii, and XBL HD versions.

Fun fact: Doom is one of my favorite games ever but I still haven't purchased it on Steam yet. The reason? I ripped the WADs from the Collector's Edition CDs I bought like 13 years ago and have kept them with me ever since.

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
I was pretty good at Gunbound. Got up to the top 5% rank at one stage, I think it was the wand rank. I could use the Boomer by feel fairly reliably.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I think the instrumentation is kinda lovely on most of the score. All those tunes could sound way better on the SNES.

God loving dammit Lurdiak.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also speaking of DOOM , here it is running on... a Porsche 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMpNA86e8Q

You die in the game, you die for real.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

corn in the bible posted:

Hm forgot about the L.T.T.P. Might have to change my answer to that.

One thing that always seemed genius but strange about that game is the handling of the Master Sword. When I was younger and first playing it I was taken aback at how that sword was given the whole mystical perfect weapon Narsil Excalibur treatment but it's only the 2nd of 4 swords you get (the latter two being upgrades but still).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've played through Symphony of the NIght maybe 30 or so times, does that count?

I don't know that I could ever speed run it or anything, but I know the best way to gimp yourself stats wise and have beaten the game like that.

One day I will be insane enough to level to 99 with that games crazy steep leveling curve.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

codenameFANGIO posted:

God loving dammit Lurdiak.

They're not bad songs! It's just that games that came afterwards on the console show that Link to The Past didn't make the best use of the soundchip. If we're going to talk about the game being "perfect" I think that's one area it could've been even better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i replay the phoenix wright games a lot

which is to say that i replay them AT ALL vs any other game that i generally play once and drop forever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I have the GC, Wii, and XBL HD versions.

Fun fact: Doom is one of my favorite games ever but I still haven't purchased it on Steam yet. The reason? I ripped the WADs from the Collector's Edition CDs I bought like 13 years ago and have kept them with me ever since.

Also because if you buy the steam version chances are it just doesnt work on your machine because its a lovely version of Doom with no support. I bought it and spent more time trying to apply mods to patch it vs. just downloading gzdoom and being done with it and refunding the version on steam.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

They're not bad songs! It's just that games that came afterwards on the console show that Link to The Past didn't make the best use of the soundchip. If we're going to talk about the game being "perfect" I think that's one area it could've been even better.

Name a perfect game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Name a perfect game.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

• Locked thread