Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Some days you can't get someone to direct a bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My buddies and I have been working our way through the DC Animated movies and, uh, how has no one been talking about how perfect Return of the Caped Crusaders is?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Believe it. The movie is absolutely visceral in its action. I lost count of how many times I went :stare:

Is any of the blood not CG?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My buddies and I have been working our way through the DC Animated movies and, uh, how has no one been talking about how perfect Return of the Caped Crusaders is?

But... but... Batman is sitting down! In a chair! Who the hell is he supposed to be, Darkseid?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Some days you can't get someone to direct a bomb.

:discourse:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly, this is something that's bugged me for a while. Bruce Wayne could probably do a hell of a lot more good if he ran for mayor.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, this is something that's bugged me for a while. Bruce Wayne could probably do a hell of a lot more good if he ran for mayor.

Well it'd be the one thing that Green Arrow did first and he can't let him have the satisfaction.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think there was talk of it in the animation thread.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

X-O posted:

I think there was talk of it in the animation thread.

Excellent, I didn't know there was a dedicated thread for that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But... but... Batman is sitting down! In a chair! Who the hell is he supposed to be, Darkseid?

I did laugh when they went from "Batman doesn't sit" to "Batman gets superpowers from sitting" over the course of a few years.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Is any of the blood not CG?

Probably.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Probably.

Can't you tell? I mean CG blood is like the most obvious thing this side of Grand Moff Tarkin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Can't you tell? I mean CG blood is like the most obvious thing this side of Grand Moff Tarkin.

Bad CGI blood is distracting (and it's often done poorly) but it's been done well and has a lot of practical advantages.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 18, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Like many CGI things, you only notice the times it is done poorly and never actually think about the times it is done well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Like many CGI things, you only notice the times it is done poorly and never actually think about the times it is done well.

The only times I've seen it done well is when it's deliberately done so they can do something artsy with it, like in Dredd or some scenes in Hannibal. Every other time it just looks bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No one is as artsy as Wolverine, bub.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah just watch ninja assassin if you want bad cgi blood.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gavok posted:

Believe it. The movie is absolutely visceral in its action. I lost count of how many times I went :stare:

IDK the trailer had a lot of wire tomfoolery

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah Zodiac is the prime example when people say "Actually CGI blood can look great"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of funny how Wolverine movie titles have gotten shorter as they've gone on. Start with X-Men Origins: Wolverine, go to The Wolverine and now finally just Logan. If they made a fourth one would it just be called Bub?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

muscles like this! posted:

Its kind of funny how Wolverine movie titles have gotten shorter as they've gone on. Start with X-Men Origins: Wolverine, go to The Wolverine and now finally just Logan. If they made a fourth one would it just be called Bub?

Bub is the sequel to SNIKT

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Bub is the sequel to SNIKT

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Someone else originally posted this, but if they had planned things out better, you would have had Weapon X, The Wolverine, and Logan as the titles of the trilogy tracing his evolution from weapon to super hero, to man.

But lol Fox

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Shageletic posted:

IDK the trailer had a lot of wire tomfoolery

I rewatched the trailer and noticed wire tomfoolery three times. One being a quick shot at Laura doing a flip and two being Logan and Laura jumping around in a forest fight. The latter two work due to... spoilery reasons, but those aren't really indicative of the overall action.

I'll put this in spoiler text, but here's a basic description of how each character fights for the most part:

Logan feels heavier and drunker than his other appearances. Like age and having a metal skeleton have finally weighed him down. He flails around with quasi-god mode, so we know that people are going to get cut up, but it's equal parts badass and sad.

Laura is like a small, rabid animal. The kind of creature that would latch onto someone and claw their face apart then leap off onto someone ten feet away and start anew. Unlike Hit-Girl, whose R-rated slaughters were played for laughs, Laura is unnerving and genuinely kind of frightening in action.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The dumb leap looks terrible in every movie and they should have stopped using it ages ago.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I concur.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is a picture floating around of the action figure for Ares from Wonder Woman, but Imgur won't let me upload it. It's, well a guy in black armor with a goat skull helmet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Imgur is busted right now. I was trying to upload something just now too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heres an Instagram post of it
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQtUITIgsbN/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Imgur finally working

Front shot of it. It's more demonic than goat like now that I see it more.

Wonder Woman is like Thor, I want to see her fight big crazy monsters more than just regular bad guys. People say they want to see Thor fight the Wrecking Crew but that's way less interesting to me than giants, trolls and fire demons with sweaty ball sacks.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They should have made the goat helmet black armor instead of something that was grey like that, because it's very Doomsday-ish.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
That's pretty dope, but I wish the Chiang designs were being adapted.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gavok, I'm trying to convince a buddy to come see Logan with me but he hasn't seen the first two Wolverine movies (just all the X-Men flicks). Does he need to have seen those others or does it not matter?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Without presuming to speak for your buddy, if you tried to get me to come along to see Logan but before that sat me down with the first Wolverine movie saying "watch this first", I would never go to a movie with you again and might in fact question us being on speaking terms.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first Wolverine movie literally erases itself at the end with a magic bullet.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

The first Wolverine movie literally erases itself at the end with a magic bullet.

Too bad it wasn't aimed at the audience

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Little Mac posted:

Gavok, I'm trying to convince a buddy to come see Logan with me but he hasn't seen the first two Wolverine movies (just all the X-Men flicks). Does he need to have seen those others or does it not matter?

All you need to see is the first X-Men movie. That's it. The biggest reference to X-Men Origins is a thematic Easter egg.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just curious, what happened to the other X-men, and what continuity is this? If it's the old one where Sentinels purged the mutants I'm kinda fine with it, but if the second future is hosed up as well I'd be slightly peeved.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

McCloud posted:

Just curious, what happened to the other X-men, and what continuity is this? If it's the old one where Sentinels purged the mutants I'm kinda fine with it, but if the second future is hosed up as well I'd be slightly peeved.

I haven't seen the movie, but it is just A Future, I don't think it is the definitive future. They're kind of playing loose with it, but then again, so is the rest of the X-Men films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean, it's the X-men, possible wacked-out futures is what they're made of.

• Locked thread