Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

panda clue posted:

The game crashing in this situation has nothing to do with p2p and everything to do with bad/buggy code that hasn't been fixed yet that happens to be related to p2p. Flip this argument around: if there were dedicated servers and the servers went down, would you say "ugh loving servers, why isnt this game just p2p??". It's a dumb argument. The problem is bugs, not the networking protocol.

If the game wasn't p2p it wouldn't crash when it has to desperately search for a new host. So no I wouldn't say that if it had dedicated servers because it wouldn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

If the game wasn't p2p it wouldn't crash when it has to desperately search for a new host. So no I wouldn't say that if it had dedicated servers because it wouldn't happen.

You somehow managed to miss the entire point. :bravo:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I know it's possible the game crashes could be fixed without switching to dedicated servers. And it seems the reason they chose p2p was so that people in Buttfuck, Montana still have a fair shot while being far from a server. OK? OK

Still would prefer dedicated servers, as someone close to Seattle. :)

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The gameplay would perform worse with dedicated servers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5u8jlh/why_forhonors_p2p_is_preferable_over_dedicated/

edit: although it does appear that ubisofts terrible implementation opens you to a whole plethora of potential security issues :shepface:

panda clue fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 20, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Goodpart posted:

Genuinely not understanding how to generate offense as the Nobushi, especially against faster classes like the Peacekeeper.

Seems like if I wait for parry opportunities I can get one light attack out -- which measured against the possible risk of losing 1/3 or more of my health seems disproportionate.

If I try to make opportunities, I generally get sidestepped because my attacks are linear, or easily telegraphed (ie. stepping into sidestep heavies is super easy).

I can't grab because the Nobushi apparently doesn't have arms.

The kick only works on whiff or hit, and can be sidestepped either way.

I can use her secret stance to some effect, but it burns stamina, doesn't lead to big damage, and characters with good gap closers just maul it.

The only successful method I've found is predicting attacks and using her pokes as interrupts, but against classes with armour, that's ineffective, and against quicker classes who burst me down, it's a losing strategy on a long enough timeline.

I don't really see a situation in which she's effective. Good defense shuts her down super hard.

I like playing as her because she seems to make people mad, and also fighting games, but it's so much easier to scrubkill with Warden loops.

Also throw techs are awful and I can't wait until they fix them. gently caress throw techs.

Players who know the Nobushis tricks will destroy her. She is amazing in dominion and against lesser skilled people but she's not great in duels against people who can uh, dodge and parry stuff. You can be really lame and just do the backstep poison attack a lot or surprise people with the kick out of hidden stance to get some crowd control in, but iit's an uphill battle against good people

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

That's the other thing I noticed actually, the 3 vanguard classes have super varied animations for killing mooks, where everyone else seemingly just has 1 light attack one, one heavy attack one.

All I know is that the warden is the coolest looking class from stances to animation and I really don't need to play anyone else. And her longswords, even the rusty looking early ones look super neat.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zaphod42 posted:

I think the cherry blossom is the only tasteful one. The firey wings are waaaay too over the top.

This is why they are good

I love my firechimney shoulders

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evil Canadian posted:

So every class has their own unique animations for killing mooks, but I have now noticed that the 3 vanguard classes basically can clear a crowd mashing r2 faster than other classes can with even their zone attacks(and at a higher rate since much less stam usage natch). I guess that makes sense since they get renown for killing minions according to the movelist.

Evil Canadian posted:

That's the other thing I noticed actually, the 3 vanguard classes have super varied animations for killing mooks, where everyone else seemingly just has 1 light attack one, one heavy attack one.

Yeah I noticed that too, Warden and Kensei absolutely poo poo all over anything Orochi can do to mooks. But like, duh, right?

Another nice little touch I noticed during duels today with a friend testing characters, each character has multiple different grab and throw animations based on the direction. Like the Raider, if you do a forward throw he just shoves you, but if you do a reverse throw he puts his axe handle behind your armpit, and then kinda uses it like a lever to push you forward behind him. Its a really nice touch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I get dogpiled on the ps4 thread for liking this game and dogpiled here for criticizing something. Love it.

Maybe if you criticized it in a more reasoned way with actual thought rather than just "Stop being Zaphod" you'd get a warmer response? :v:

Stop being SexFart.

Yeah I know it's possible the game crashes could be fixed without switching to dedicated servers. And it seems the reason they chose p2p was so that people in Buttfuck, Montana still have a fair shot while being far from a server. OK? OK

Okay there we go :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 20, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

The gameplay would perform worse with dedicated servers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5u8jlh/why_forhonors_p2p_is_preferable_over_dedicated/

edit: although it does appear that ubisofts terrible implementation opens you to a whole plethora of potential security issues :shepface:

all this dude was make a bunch of provably false assumptions about the way ubi is handling their poo poo. there's zero evidence dedicated servers would be worse because we have not played with dedicated servers.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

all this dude was make a bunch of provably false assumptions about the way ubi is handling their poo poo. there's zero evidence dedicated servers would be worse because we have not played with dedicated servers.

Okay. There's also zero evidence they would be better. I really don't feel dragging this dead horse further back into the thread, though. It is the way it is and it isn't going to change. All we can do is hope that they fix the bugs related to matchmaking and migration.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Let's argue about servers versus p2p without the reactions or skill for any of these things to make any difference.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I still would like dedicated servers. I want a custom goon server so we can have stupid sound plug-ins, dumb maps and the power of kick-a-pubby.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The P2P works really well in regards to how the combat flows. I rarely see warping players or feel that my actions aren't precise. For a melee multiplayer game with this many levels to the combat (blocks, parries, feints, dodges, directions etc), this is huge

The other stuff, which may or may not be related to P2P or general server architecture or WHATEVER, is real bad. Constant disconnects and frustrating garbage like "CANT JOIN CUZ THE GAME IS FULL LOL" and yesterday I kept seeing people vanishing into thin air mid combat. I thought they were ragequitting but then it happened to me as well. The game just put me back in the lobby, not even an error..

Speaking of annoying garbage, I hate that I have to click "next" a million times after each match :mad: Just let me click it once

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?

Literally my only complaint about p2p is disconnects causing crashes. It's significant. I don't think I'm losing games or at a disadvantage from it.

I am on your side then. Happening to me more as of this weekend, it's a def bummer. Seeing more quitters as time goes by.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zzulu posted:

The other stuff, which may or may not be related to P2P or general server architecture or WHATEVER, is real bad. Constant disconnects and frustrating garbage like "CANT JOIN CUZ THE GAME IS FULL LOL" and yesterday I kept seeing people vanishing into thin air mid combat. I thought they were ragequitting but then it happened to me as well. The game just put me back in the lobby, not even an error..

Someone earlier mentioned that the popup was added as a band-aid fix to that situation, where it used to just cause your game to hang forever. Hopefully a more proper fix is coming.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OK then please explain why the game crashes when it's having trouble finding a new host when everyone's quitting and how dedicated servers wouldn't fix that.

Any game would have issues if players start dropping like flies when the host leaves so it can't find a new host quickly. It's almost like the problem is the players not understanding how the system works and bailing instead of letting the system do its job.

The amount of latency problems in dedicated servers for a game like this would make the game pretty god drat trash. So i'll take a couple black screens every other day so that i can enjoy the game without rubberbanding for the other 90% of the time im playing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The most interesting bug, and this only happened once so far, was that I was in a full dominion game and then I got that thing where everything freezes and it says its resynchronizing . But then everyone on both teams gets kicked EXCEPT me and another guy. All the missing players were replaced by bots, but the bots AI got broken in the process somehow so they just stood at spawn doing nothing. The entire game was me and another peacekeeper running around in circles, capping points by ourselves :stare:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
P2P

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
anyone who says P2P is bad is FAKE NEWS

panda clue
May 23, 2014

same

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
sad!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Sometimes when I open for honor it starts out minimized, as if I alt tabbed out of it. Sometimes when I start it, it opens in windowed mode when no settings were changed. Ok game you do you

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

Sometimes when I open for honor it starts out minimized, as if I alt tabbed out of it. Sometimes when I start it, it opens in windowed mode when no settings were changed. Ok game you do you

it does this for me too. it also randomly picks which display to start on, also.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
there is nothing more fun in this game than playing warlord and standing on C on that map with 4 pits surrounding the point

I can kill entire teams alone

*puts down beartrap infront of pit*

*enemy gets stuck in trap, cant do poo poo*

*shoves guy down hole*

*sprint shoves another guy into pit*

*instantly turn around and shovesprint another brave adventurer into pit*

*do ridiculous twitchy emote for effect*

*headbutt last guy into pit*

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Good people will realize how ridiculous it is and lol along with me but a lot of people get insanely upset about me defending my swamp and shoving everyone down pits

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you don't want to end up in the pit, don't go into my swamp :stare:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is prestige level 5 the first level where you get the best weapons/gear? The amount of grinding in this game is nuts (not necessarily a bad thing)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If I didn't use everything I've seen called op bullshit, cheese, cancer or NO HONOR I would be limited to heavy attacks.

And only when my opponent is ready for them.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Zzulu posted:

there is nothing more fun in this game than playing warlord and standing on C on that map with 4 pits surrounding the point

*shoves guy down hole*

That sounds cool, I wish Kensei had cool moves for Dominion :( At least Lawbringer bringing 3 different kind of grenades is pretty boss.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Uuuugh, this is one of the few PVP style games I like nowadays but I can't play with my friends because they are the screamiest whiny bitches whenever something bad happens to them. Like I get plenty salty but my first instinct isn't to just cry "that's not fair", "this game is broken" it's to think about what happened and why it happened. Plenty of moments make me shout "WHAT THE gently caress" but I've got shadowplay running and gotten into the habit of saving those moments to see what actually happened.

Also it doesn't help that we (three newly started people) keep getting matched up with prestige 2 and 3 people with blue and purple gear levels.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah sometimes I wish I had a video of what I was doing and what my exact inputs were. That would be helpful

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Psycho Society posted:

Yeah sometimes I wish I had a video of what I was doing and what my exact inputs were. That would be helpful

Yeah, it's useful. I've found the game frequently registers me as blocking up when I'm trying too block left. I don't know if it's my lovely knockoff ps3 controller, the way I hold it or the way I move my thumb but it's something I've started to work on.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I'm kinda hoping a patch adds a few more layers to the emblem maker. Also being able to rotate and resize backgrounds would be nifty.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Psycho Society posted:

I would loooooove if you could rewatch a match and see all the inputs you made. So I could see exactly what I'm loving up which would help me work on fixing it. Sometimes you just get brutally owned and everything goes wrong and you're not even sure what inputs you messed up.

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm kinda hoping a patch adds a few more layers to the emblem maker. Also being able to rotate and resize backgrounds would be nifty.

You already can rotate and resize the backgrounds to a limited degree.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zzulu posted:

*shoves guy down hole*

My favourite warlord moment so far tonight was using the taunt to amp up the crowd before charging like a bull and shoving a valkyrie into a pit of lava.

Also lol you reminded me of a shugoki that did the same thing as you then blamed his team for their loss since our entire team just avoided point C and had vanguard murder mooks for days.
"Look at my score, wouldve been better off with bots for allies"
like yeah, you standing on C while we gang bang your teamates literally 15 feet away was so helpful :allears:

Also also, Holy poo poo Warlord in dominion. Increased defense active, bonus HP passive, and auto revive on top of fast revives.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I am really not good at this game. I had to cheese the stupid female Viking lady ("RAIDER!!!! RAIDERRRRRRRRR!!!!") with firebombs to beat her because her three hit coming from every goddamn angle was nigh impossible to block/parry because each swing had different timing. There are certain enemies in this game that are just a nightmare to fight, like the Valkyries. The Raider seems kind of awful and you have to rely on his guard break and slow terrible unblockable a lot, the Warlord was slightly better but still had a lot of fiddliness.

Honestly, I did best with Mercy in the Knight mission. Didn't parry many attacks, but blocked what I needed to and I loved the bleeds and the quick parry with the left hand to interrupt most attacks and then chain into a combo. Very fun class.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garrand posted:

Also it doesn't help that we (three newly started people) keep getting matched up with prestige 2 and 3 people with blue and purple gear levels.

If this is happening you're pretty good at the game, and will stomp when you get blue and purple gear.

Psycho Society posted:

Garrand posted:

Yeah, it's useful. I've found the game frequently registers me as blocking up when I'm trying too block left. I don't know if it's my lovely knockoff ps3 controller, the way I hold it or the way I move my thumb but it's something I've started to work on.

You'd need a beefy computer, but you can set that up yourself easily enough, With two monitors and OBS.

Open up this webpage https://gamepadviewer.com/ Make sure it's reading your inputs

Open up OBS, set it to view that webpage, and then make that a tiny overlay on your screen.

Then, set up OBS to record For Honor.

Record when you play

Voila.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wanna start playing Valk but I'm worried when she gets her buff everyone gonna play her

I stopped playing peacekeeper cause I was new and didn't know how OP and common she was

I didn't know Conquerer was "bad," he's fun but I guess I don't do exceptionally well with him or anything

Anyone else that's like Valk? Nimble and mobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All the classes are "the worst" execpt, warden peacekeeper and orochi who are merely balanced and cool and good