Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

But they do though. That Doctor Strange death scene was really well done, and just because there was a silly moment afterwards, didn't destroy the one before it.

No it didn't.

What it did destroy?

The scene it was in. Strange is gearing up, getting serious, dedicating his life to taking on people far more powerful and learned than he could possibly be, the first time he's really, REALLY taken things seriously all movie

And then his cape keeps petting him and it's funny because gently caress you laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

But they do though. That Doctor Strange death scene was really well done, and just because there was a silly moment afterwards, didn't destroy the one before it.

Let me tell you about a little videogame called Mass Effect 3.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Perhaps. I'll have to re-watch it again, but that scene really stood out to me, and I didn't feel like laughing at that little joke ruined anything. I think Coulson's death gave a good amount of time before a joke came as well.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there is something to be said about the positives of cutting the tension of emotionally draining moments with levity; my issue with marvel studios isn't that they do that, it's that they do it so goddamn much

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Films are lies.

It's kind of pathetic to want to be lied to. Whatever happened to those comic book ideals of truth, justice, and the American Way?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

Films are lies.

Film is Truth, actually.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's kind of pathetic to want to be lied to. Whatever happened to those comic book ideals of truth, justice, and the American Way?

The Applepie is a lie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whatever happened to those comic book ideals of truth, justice, and the American Way?

Ask Zod's snapped neck.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Burkion posted:

No it didn't.

What it did destroy?

The scene it was in. Strange is gearing up, getting serious, dedicating his life to taking on people far more powerful and learned than he could possibly be, the first time he's really, REALLY taken things seriously all movie

And then his cape keeps petting him and it's funny because gently caress you laugh.

I love the way Strange and Guardians handled these scenes though.

Strange gearing up and gettin' serious, the Guardians walking down the hallway as a team scratching their nuts and yawning, standing up together after a motivational speech "are you happy? we're all standing like a bunch of idiots". They're tired movie tropes and the jokes tied into them were the only things that make those scenes good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Film is Truth, actually.

drat right.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zYoocu2Jo

Looks nice but it still baffles me they intend to pit this Kong against Godzilla.

Yeah I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that Kong is still a juvenile and takes the next 40 or so years to achieve full silverback giganto status.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marvel movie-makers do try to make people feel things. It just ends up manipulative like a slick marketing effort. GotG itself is an approximation of cosmopolitan Eurocomics without their sophistication, so their skepticism is reduced to hollow sarcasm and their universality into empty sentimentality. The Eurocomics that GotG (indirectly) approximates favour a cool, level-headed approach. This is why GotG never surpasses it's superior comic book movie predecessor, Fifth Element.

To be fair, Fifth Element probably won't be surpassed. That movie is fuckin' dope.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly there was a test screening of Wonder Woman and thus, spoilers about it have began to spread on the usual places.

I have no idea how truthful or accurate are but having read them, I don't think those depict a bad movie. However, they do veer into a tone very similar to MOS and BvS plus they take a lot of inspiration from Azzarelo's recent run with the character. So I fully expect a lot of "not my Wonder Woman" to hit the movie again.

Provided they are accurate of course.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Azzarello's run is super underrated.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

someone expecting a wildly lighter tone than previous dceu movies from the one that's gonna be set in frickin world war 1 is a really funny mental image

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

someone expecting a wildly lighter tone than previous dceu movies from the one that's gonna be set in frickin world war 1 is a really funny mental image

And let's not forget we knew from the get go that it wouldn't have a happy ending due Diana abandoning humanity until BvS.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And let's not forget we knew from the get go that it wouldn't have a happy ending due Diana abandoning humanity until BvS.

She doesn't "abandon" humanity, she just becomes one of them. She integrates and becomes an undecided voter of the modern age. She abandons her own heritage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brother Entropy posted:

If Battlefield 1 has taught me anything, it is that WW1 was hell on earth unless you were a pilot during it, in which case WW1 is incredibly badass and cool and there are zero downsides.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

She doesn't "abandon" humanity, she just becomes one of them. She integrates and becomes an undecided voter of the modern age. She abandons her own heritage.

They explicitly call out that she abandons mankind after WWI and only recently rejoined society to track down her poo poo in the present day.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The one lesson every major character learns from BvS is that "men are still good". Specifically in the case of Wonder Woman, it's about learning that there's more to humanity than men who bury themselves in holes and the people throwing mustard gas at them.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Film is Truth, actually.

Picasso said "We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.", which is kind of how I feel about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burkion posted:

They explicitly call out that she abandons mankind after WWI and only recently rejoined society to track down her poo poo in the present day.

No no. I watched the movie. Garfield accused her of eating his lasagna right after Lex Luthor did his Singin' in the Rain dance solo which was just before Ant-man crossed over and banged a smurf on her laptop while she was on the airplane.

I...think I know what I'm talking about. :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Brother Entropy posted:

Gal Gadot has explicitly said in interviews that Wonder Woman and Justice League are intended to be "lighter, optimistic, and fun" compared to BvS.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Gal Gadot has explicitly said in interviews that Wonder Woman and Justice League are intended to be "lighter, optimistic, and fun" compared to BvS.

Patty Jenkins said recently that her WW movie will get pretty dark, probably towards the end

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Supposedly there was a test screening of Wonder Woman and thus, spoilers about it have began to spread on the usual places.

I have no idea how truthful or accurate are but having read them, I don't think those depict a bad movie. However, they do veer into a tone very similar to MOS and BvS plus they take a lot of inspiration from Azzarelo's recent run with the character. So I fully expect a lot of "not my Wonder Woman" to hit the movie again.

Provided they are accurate of course.

Is it even possible for more than 50-65 people to have a favorite and indelible version of Wonder Woman that could be betrayed?

Also I hope to god DC never changes the "tone" of their movies because seeing people complain about it both gives my eye muscles a work out and lets me know to just go ahead and skip what follows.

Isn't Wonder Woman supposed to be book ended with stuff happening in the post BvS world of DC? Kal-El's father abandoned him, he showed the world a better path, and he died for the sins of man. Bruce Wayne had an epiphany on the road to Metropolis, and now he tirelessly fights to strengthen the legacy of the man he once dedicated his life to tearing down.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gyges posted:

Is it even possible for more than 50-65 people to have a favorite and indelible version of Wonder Woman that could be betrayed?

The character of Wonder Woman has gone through far more drastic changes than either Superman or Batman. Whatever "indelible" version of her that might have existed would have already been betrayed five-fold by now.

What will be interesting is seeing how the movie character compares to what people feel a female super hero should be. My guess is that will be where any criticism from, rather than a failure to live up to some preconceived version of the character.

Which, now that I've typed that, seems even more grim.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just love lyin'.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Also I hope to god DC never changes the "tone" of their movies because seeing people complain about it both gives my eye muscles a work out and lets me know to just go ahead and skip what follows.

Isn't Wonder Woman supposed to be book ended with stuff happening in the post BvS world of DC? Kal-El's father abandoned him, he showed the world a better path, and he died for the sins of man. Bruce Wayne had an epiphany on the road to Metropolis, and now he tirelessly fights to strengthen the legacy of the man he once dedicated his life to tearing down.

I mean, it was like, 18 months, tops.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Schwarzwald posted:

The character of Wonder Woman has gone through far more drastic changes than either Superman or Batman. Whatever "indelible" version of her that might have existed would have already been betrayed five-fold by now.

What will be interesting is seeing how the movie character compares to what people feel a female super hero should be. My guess is that will be where any criticism from, rather than a failure to live up to some preconceived version of the character.

Which, now that I've typed that, seems even more grim.

That said, I'd watch soft-bondage Wonder Woman, too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Like, those are the lies maaaaan :human being:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Gyges posted:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

"Meatgrinder Warfare Movie: Lighter, More Optimistic than BvS" sounds like a nice burn on the people who complained that Beavis was too grimdark.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

NOT MY WONDER WOMAN

EDIT: Also Jesus Christ, Lynda Carter looks ridiculously thin. I thought that picture was photoshopped or something...

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 20, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Everything is better with Oglaf.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
haha :pranke:

was supposed to be in the Comics thread, glad it was well received

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

NOT MY WONDER WOMAN

EDIT: Also Jesus Christ, Lynda Carter looks ridiculously thin. I thought that picture was photoshopped or something...

Her top might be partly a corset. You can do scary things to bodies with those fuckers. Doesn't help/hurt that it's about as skin tight as possible.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Alhazred posted:

It also have the best line of all the X-Men movies. You know the one.

"What do they call you? Wheels?"

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
So i finally got round to watching Dr Strange last night and holy poo poo was that a drat good film. My brain could barely handle the scenery chewing of not only Cumberbatch and Tilda but oddly a guy called Wong too.

Seriously the best Marvel film to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I heard a rumor that they were considering Danny DeVito for Wolverine at one point and now I just wonder what could have been.

• Locked thread