Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I remember being really impressed with him as the Lightning Kid back when GWF was airing over (and over) again on ESPN after school, but it was less "putting on awesome matches" and more "having only seen WWF I had no idea wrestlers could be small or agile". It was probably the first time I ever saw a dive. Looking at his surprisingly short run in GWF, the only opponents of any note he had were "The Handsome Stranger" Marcus Bagwell and Jerry Lynn, so more than likely he only had one "good" match in GWF. Still, the only things I remember from watching that every day after school in fourth grade are the Lightning Kid, the Patriot/Dark Patriot angle, and RASTAN THE VOODOO MAN.

I don't know if this means "if he was born ten years later he would have had much better opponents and risen to their level" or more "if Lightning Kid came along in 2001 he'd end up on a ROH show with Danielson and Jack Evans and Roderick Strong and Jigsaw and a bunch of other small agile guys and pale in comparison" but I definitely have fond memories both of the Lightning Kid, the 1-2-3 Kid, and the X-Pac/Kane romance angle. Not a lot of specific fond memories of matches though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really liked the Jerry Lynn/Waltman match from TNA way back when. Also the Walton/Hardy match from the same era was good too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have the 1-2-3 Kid to blame for me getting into wrestling, as the very first wrestling match I saw on TV was him stealing a big sack of money from Razor Ramon on Raw and running away. Hooked me for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDXLnTvdrqc

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 18, 2017

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I have the 1-2-3 Kid to blame for me getting into wrestling, as the very first wrestling match I saw on TV was him stealing a big sack of money from Razor Ramon on Raw and running away. Hooked me for life.

http://i.imgur.com/bOZsKXs.gifv

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
There must be upwards of 500 people in that building!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I didn't even know they had another match after that first one. Good lord, that dive. :ohdear:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Skjorte posted:

I didn't even know they had another match after that first one. Good lord, that dive. :ohdear:

He ate poo poo on that botched dive, oh my god. :gonk:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Vinny V with some shade throwing in his TV reports:

quote:

That needs to win move of the year in the 2017 Observer awards, which will be published in 2020.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vinny V is really funny sometimes. (and a pretty decent football writer, as well)

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 19, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

whiteyfats posted:

Vinny V is really runny sometimes. (and a pretty decent football writer, as well)

He's never runny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dave: I apologize in advance but the idea was he had retard strength

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

He's never runny.

One of the rare wrestlers who walked the ropes and not in the Undertaker/Gran Metalik sense.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

He's never runny.

:saddowns:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Jerusalem posted:

Festus?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

George the Animal Steele. He had a Masters irl and wanted to do a genius neanderthal gimmick but lolVince.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

i just enjoyed that he said retard, backed off it, then apologized 'in advance', and then said it again lol

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/allelbows/status/833223669363023872

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 19, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/allelbows/status/833225811662557185

I really love her work, she did that great video of the Holm/Rousey fight.

edit: The podcast is really great, for how brief it is. I think the thing that blows my mind is Mo kinda mumbles and fumbles around talking about MMA and then when it comes to Pro Wrestling he lights up completely.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 19, 2017

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Terrible Too Sweet - Dave!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its cute that dave and cody are friends

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm Dave Meltzer's enormous head

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

its cute that dave and cody are friends

That story about Dusty taking two days to get over how his son was booked was pretty cute too.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave nearly saying that the primary PWG show died rather than was burnt up is an underrated Dave moment from the most recent show.

Also we're never going to get the awards issue.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Rodney the Piper posted:

Dave nearly saying that the primary PWG show died rather than was burnt up is an underrated Dave moment from the most recent show.

Also we're never going to get the awards issue.

Dave is salty about having to induct Sting.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Just so you all know, Dave Meltzer talking about farts is always the best.

Also $3.99 sale is on!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Karmine posted:

Just so you all know, Dave Meltzer talking about farts is always the best.

Also $3.99 sale is on!

They keep offering these sales how are they supposed to attract people with the regular price, and so soon after the previous one

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

They keep offering these sales how are they supposed to attract people with the regular price, and so soon after the previous one

They attracted me. I've been looking to re-sign up for months. But couldn't justify £9 or whatever it is. At £3.50 I can see if it's up to much.

I was a subscriber back when F4WOnline first launched (want to say 2007/8) and I'm sure it was 6 bucks and I struggled to justify that at the time.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Also kinda gotta keep in mind this the boom time for them. Yer paying 4 dollars now but alot of people are gonna pay the 11.99 for next month and the month after for the Wrestlemania news before letting their sub go dormant over the summer.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I have a lot of time to listen to podcasts while working, I dont pay for any of them but the f4w/wol stuff. Since a few in the last few years have picked up various patreon or pay models I've held off. I started on a black friday 3.99 sale but come to think of it, it wasnt last year so I've been paying awhile now, always worth it for quality wrestlechat.

That said, anyone else getting jacked up redirects trying to view the page from a mobile today? Every time I tried to see what raw was happening while at work I would get an ad redirect that never went anywhere but didnt really see anyone bitching on twitter either.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Yeah, I got the same on mobile.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The idea is pretty simple.

Person: Well, I'll give it a shot at 4 bucks.

*month passes*

Person: Eh, it's only another 6 bucks.

Anyone who cancels after the $4 month probably wouldn't have signed up for $10 anyways, but you may get people to continue once you have your hooks in them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For years I didn't even consider subbing because the monthly cost seemed too high. I jumped on the 4 buck deal a couple of years back (maybe 3?) and let it run out. I went like 3 days without having immediate access to their shows and I couldn't deal with it anymore, plus the monthly price now seemed completely reasonable given the huge amount of content they produce.

Hell it's worth it just to hear Bryan try to make a point but being unable to avoid a set-up beforehand, which causes Dave to immediately talk all over him before he can get to his actual point :allears:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

they've had my subscription for years. i'm pretty much always in need of stuff to listen to and even just following observer radio, bryan & vinny and filthy four daily gives me my moneys worth, plus the observer newsletter which is almost worth the price by itself just in terms of sheer volume of worthwhile content to read.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

they've had my subscription for years. i'm pretty much always in need of stuff to listen to and even just following observer radio, bryan & vinny and filthy four daily gives me my moneys worth, plus the observer newsletter which is almost worth the price by itself just in terms of sheer volume of worthwhile content to read.

Yeah same.

It's also been really apt that as my fandom drifts from WWE -> UFC -> New Japan over the years they cover all of them in enough detail that it's always remained relevant.

I actually started watching UFC because I hated listening to the early sunday morning shows with them both in the hotel room and having no idea what the gently caress they were talking about. But then that's when the UFC didn't have 60 million events a year and the PPVs seemed more important.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
"She's unique. She's not like most girls." - Big Dave on Nia Jax

Edit: and then he gets so excited about Dick Murdoch. It's the best.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
RIP PISSCAST

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Dr. Lariat posted:

I have a lot of time to listen to podcasts while working, I dont pay for any of them but the f4w/wol stuff. Since a few in the last few years have picked up various patreon or pay models I've held off. I started on a black friday 3.99 sale but come to think of it, it wasnt last year so I've been paying awhile now, always worth it for quality wrestlechat.

That said, anyone else getting jacked up redirects trying to view the page from a mobile today? Every time I tried to see what raw was happening while at work I would get an ad redirect that never went anywhere but didnt really see anyone bitching on twitter either.

I'm a little late but their mobile site has always been bad for me. I imagine the site would be just as bad without ad blockers on a real computer. I think the last time I visited the mobile site I got an ad looking for sugar daddys for a dating site.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Rodney the Piper posted:

Edit: and then he gets so excited about Dick Murdoch. It's the best.

I wonder what the question even was. Bryan just got out "And this listener is asking about Dick Murd-" "DICK MURDOCH IS THE BESSSSST!!!"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
"Steve Austin was backstage at last night's Raw recording an episode of his podcast with Kevin Owens."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Audio only? Or are they taping the network stuff now? Because that wouldn't surprise me

• Locked thread