Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Easy lore way to add fourth faction. Say the samurai met up with the Arabs and they want to create an alliance to destroy the knights. Etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wouldn't it be easier and allow more diversity to just create characters of varioud cultures and align them with existing factions than to try to create full new factions?

IE oh the Not Aztecs have aligned with the Vikings and the Not Romans with the Knights.

gently caress, it doesn't even matter. Just make a bunch of freelance classes. It's not like faction choice makes a difference anyway.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming

Wouldn't it be easier and allow more diversity to just create characters of varioud cultures and align them with existing factions than to try to create full new factions?

IE oh the Not Aztecs have aligned with the Vikings and the Not Romans with the Knights.

That's actually quite a good idea.

Though we know these ideas won't get anywhere :~(

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Dessel posted:

The entire concept of matchmaking in this game is just weird. Then there are interesting details like MMR not being tied to your hero in any way (obviously because you only choose once you've been matched), which is kinda lovely for learning new classes which in turn hurts your MMR. (Which in turn can be kinda important for playing with friends...)

I don't think we know enough about the matchmaking right now to say this do we? Certainly each hero has a different level (used for rewards and unlocks) and you also have a gear level, but I don't think that each of those things are the only factors in matchmaking.

As with most games there is probably a hidden elo or mmr or some type of data other than hours played (essentially what those other two stats represent) which is used for matchmaking.

Or am I giving ubi too much credit?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

adding in Indians would be sikh nasty imo.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Shockeh posted:

E: Re-post - So, what's the best guaranteed follow-up to a Shugoki Parry?
If they're near a ledge, guardbreak into throw. Or Demon Ball for style.

If not, I usually go for top light into headbutt. Parry into headbutt will drain anyone's stamina. From there try to guardbreak and throw them on the ground. The timing is tight but you can guarantee a charged top heavy before they stand up and it does 60 loving damage.

I've been playing Shugoki more than anyone else the last few days and I think 1. He's actually not a bad character and 2. No one knows how to play against him. By far my highest win rate hero.

Shug tips:
  • Start with Charge of the Oni. Obviously a ledge kill with this is ideal, but it will probably only work once before they catch on. Instead run near them and if you knock them down, you can cancel the charge and get a free light attack in and maybe a headbutt. If they dodge (and they will) then cancel the charge and try for a guaranteed guard break while they're mid-dodge. You can do this a bunch like a ghetto Warden.
  • Do what I wrote about above when you get a guardbreak. Anytime you can land a charged top heavy you should because of its huge damage.
  • Use the zone attack to close distance. At the start you'll wiff the first shot but they'll be caught off guard by the second because they haven't played against Shugoki. After that try doing it again, but cancel the second swing and go for a guard break or parry if they try to line up a Heavy.
  • Top light is your fastest strike. I almost always headbutt after it lands.
  • Demon's Embrace can be pretty dirty if you're in critical health. Or even just as a surprise after a parry or feint. You can actually guarantee it to land if you throw them into a wall. The timing is very tight though. Be sure they're not out of stamina because it will wiff if they're lying on the ground.
  • Basically try to get guardbreaks is what I'm saying.
  • Obviously trade as much as possible. If you're low MMR or playing dominion you can probably win all your fights by just doing charged heavy over and over again.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 20, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Koreans with Samurai, it all works out

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Shockeh posted:

Incidentally, I said that knowing almost certainly we won't get it - It'd mean re-engineering the world map architecture, which they won't be arsed to do when comparatively it's 'easy' to add a 5th class to each of the existing factions.

E: Re-post - So, what's the best guaranteed follow-up to a Shugoki Parry?

Why would they have to remap everything? It'd be easy adding another zone off to the side.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I played a bunch against a Shugoki recently as a Nobushi. You have to be constantly cognizant of the armor because it can be used to dazzling effect if used properly. Also, does Nobushi have a confirm at all after a Shoguki parry? I found myself too loving far away afterwards for a guard break and he could block all my attacks, light and heavy included.

Re: Conqueror chat

I spent my first three days playing this game doing nothing but playing the Conqueror. All I wanted when I saw this game was to play that one dude with the flail. So that's what I did. He generates tons of rage. I'll be sitting in party with my friends who are in another game and they'll be raging about some conqueror who is wall combo'ing one of them to death and they'll be screaming 'oh yeah keep doing that one move' and I'll be smiling and telling them to get good.

Anyways here are some Conqueror tips:
1. Get the running shoulder charge out of your system. It's great in 4v4 game modes and against idiots, but anybody competent will punish the poo poo out of you for trying it. It should be a tool like anything else in your arsenal. Pulling it out in a surprise way can catch someone off guard, but opening every single fight with it is an easy way to put yourself at an immediate health disadvantage.
2.Charging heavy attacks is your friend. It doesn't even always have to connect to be effective. My favorite use of it is to launch it purposefully out of range to bait someone in for a punish only to smack them over the head with a heavy follow-up or a shoulder charge. Finding out that you can perform the shied charge combo after missing a heavy attack was life changing (I didn't know that initially heh).
3. Don't neglect light attacks. The infinite light attack combo is surprisingly effective and irritating to deal with.
4. Walls and obstacles are your friends. Knocking someone into a wall or obstacle after either a guard break or a shield charge can be confirmed with a side heavy attack (I think). Also with a wall in the way of a back dodge the heavy -> shield bash -> heavy -> shield back combo can cause opponents to rage quit.
5. Overhead heavy attacks do the most damage but are slightly slower than side heavy attacks.
6. If you're struggling to block light attack spam remember your omni-block stance. Don't get used to it because it's sort of a crutch, but it can also be used to bait someone in because you can combo it into shield charge.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Loopoo posted:

Why would they have to remap everything? It'd be easy adding another zone off to the side.

A three way is much better to balance than a four way for the map. Otherwise you get weird 2 on 1 things happening on the faction map

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Exmond posted:

A three way is much better to balance than a four way for the map. Otherwise you get weird 2 on 1 things happening on the faction map

Ah, I see what you mean. 3 factions works cause each has their borders connection at all times, but with a 4th in the mix, it wouldn't work.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'd be very grateful if any of you know which mission the Ouroboros emblem is from.

I'm doing observable runs in the viking chapter since the emblem looks kind of sketched and Vikingy, and it could double as the Midgard worm. No luck yet, no fun yet either. :saddowns:

Found it in 2.5, or because I did everything in the viking chapter.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 20, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's the coding impact - It's a lot of work on back-end systems that your players will never actually see. In coding 'cost' it's a lot.

I really like the 'Freelancer' idea - Add four more characters, each from different settings/periods, and just toss them in. Spanish Conquistador, Chinese Wudang, Aztec Atlatl, Egyptian Khopesh. loving hire me Ubi, we're done.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Day off because it is National Trump & Obama holding hands day.

Join me on the PS4!!!

Kwosge for both PSN and uB

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 20, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Pruney posted:

There will be a fencing/rapier class for sure for the Knights.

Maybe another heavy dude like the Shugoki? Since Lawbringer doesn't seem to fit into that category...

The conqueror is the knights heavy

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming

Zzulu posted:

The conqueror is the knights heavy

I don't even think the Conq is worthy of a heavy though, he just has a shield and then Lawbringer supposedly has the best armor in the game

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The distinctions are meaningless outside of telling you what activity they get the most renown from.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Multiplayer faction warfare map is pretty lame and limits the available class growth of potential other factions. They should just get rid of it

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Also add pirate faction so I can relive the glory days.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
^^ Only if they add Chivalry-style OTT voice acting

Ice Fist posted:

Anyways here are some Conqueror tips:
1. Get the running shoulder charge out of your system. It's great in 4v4 game modes and against idiots, but anybody competent will punish the poo poo out of you for trying it. It should be a tool like anything else in your arsenal. Pulling it out in a surprise way can catch someone off guard, but opening every single fight with it is an easy way to put yourself at an immediate health disadvantage.
2.Charging heavy attacks is your friend. It doesn't even always have to connect to be effective. My favorite use of it is to launch it purposefully out of range to bait someone in for a punish only to smack them over the head with a heavy follow-up or a shoulder charge. Finding out that you can perform the shied charge combo after missing a heavy attack was life changing (I didn't know that initially heh).
3. Don't neglect light attacks. The infinite light attack combo is surprisingly effective and irritating to deal with.
4. Walls and obstacles are your friends. Knocking someone into a wall or obstacle after either a guard break or a shield charge can be confirmed with a side heavy attack (I think). Also with a wall in the way of a back dodge the heavy -> shield bash -> heavy -> shield back combo can cause opponents to rage quit.
5. Overhead heavy attacks do the most damage but are slightly slower than side heavy attacks.
6. If you're struggling to block light attack spam remember your omni-block stance. Don't get used to it because it's sort of a crutch, but it can also be used to bait someone in because you can combo it into shield charge.

7. Always pelvic thrust :colbert:

You should be wary of light attacks at the moment, at least until the bug is fixed, otherwise you'll get punished if they block. Best time to get a cheeky attack in is after you block, since superior block staggers them enough for you to hit them without retaliation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fuzz posted:

The Raider seems kind of awful and you have to rely on his guard break and slow terrible unblockable a lot, the Warlord was slightly better but still had a lot of fiddliness.

Raider gets a guaranteed combo into unblockable after a guardbreak, also you can cancel any heavy into a quick top light which if it connects will daze the opponent, and then you can throw heavy or light attacks and really make them work to block them. He's also got a dodge hit and a dodge grab.

All the classes have a lot of cool unique moves that take lots of messing around to even realize are there.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
What's my counter to assassins that dodge around all the time? I can't seem to hit them at all. Someone said you could guard break dodges but I've never gotten it to work.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They need to add robots as well

Maybe aliens? Like Klingons? Klingons got bladed weapons right? We need robots and klingons

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

MadJackMcJack posted:

7. Always pelvic thrust :colbert:
8. The conqueror's charging gimmick allows for incredibly safe parries. If you see your enemy wind up for an attack, just hold the heavy attack button down and either you'll do an actual parry or it turns into a regular block (since you can block while charging) at which point you can either throw out a quick charged heavy attack or cancel it if they're onto your shenanigans.
Do note that this is quite the clutch and makes you suck at parrying with the other classes though! :shepface:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Barent posted:

What's my counter to assassins that dodge around all the time? I can't seem to hit them at all. Someone said you could guard break dodges but I've never gotten it to work.

Parry/block them when they dodge attack. If you're quick enough you can grab them too. You basically have to parry some of the more aggressive assholes out there because their lights are faster than yours and you won't get a strike in otherwise

You can also dodge the dodgers and if you have decent attack speed hit them when they are just finishing dodge

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Exodee posted:

8. The conqueror's charging gimmick allows for incredibly safe parries. If you see your enemy wind up for an attack, just hold the heavy attack button down and either you'll do an actual parry or it turns into a regular block (since you can block while charging) at which point you can either throw out a quick charged heavy attack or cancel it if they're onto your shenanigans.
Do note that this is quite the clutch and makes you suck at parrying with the other classes though! :shepface:

9. If you want to be awesome parry then cancel into Hipthrust when you could get a killshot to force disconnects.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I want to thank everyone for reminding me about pelvic thrusting. Pelvic thrusting alone elevates Conqueror above all other classes.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Ice Fist posted:

I want to thank everyone for reminding me about pelvic thrusting. Pelvic thrusting alone elevates Conqueror above all other classes.

Agreed, but Berserker's teabag and Lawbringer's "suck it" hand motion are close seconds.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
guard breaks are confirmed at the end of dodges. it's a little tough because assassins will usually dodge attack, but if they don't, there's your gb window.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Barent posted:

Feint? Bait the dodge with a feint and then punish.

Some characters have other solutions too but not all.

Or just time a poke right at the end of the dodge.

Haroshia posted:

Agreed, but Berserker's teabag and Lawbringer's "suck it" hand motion are close seconds.

Don't forget Shugoki's pouting "I'm gonna sit over here"

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

signalnoise posted:

I want the ninja to use a goddamn kusarigama. Nioh got me loving that weapon.

well, you're in luck, because the image of the dlc characters in shadow clearly shows a ninja holding what looks like the sickle part of a kusarigama.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Does your faction choice lock you out of partying with people from other factions? If so then where are the goons at?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

a glitch posted:

Does your faction choice lock you out of partying with people from other factions?

No.

Added: The faction choice is 99.9% superficial. It determines what faction gets your faction warfare points, which is pretty much pointless anyways. It doesn't prevent you from playing other faction heroes or with players who are apart of another faction.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Why do game companies create fun games only to bury it in so much poo poo that the experience becomes unenjoyable? From the unnecessary (on the pc) press any button screen to the laughable lobby system. It's like I want to discuss/complain about it being so bad but I simply am overwhelmed by it all.

I want to play the game not spend 20%ish not playing the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

super macho dude posted:

well, you're in luck, because the image of the dlc characters in shadow clearly shows a ninja holding what looks like the sickle part of a kusarigama.

Really? I couldn't see that. Looked like an unarmed fist or a Tonfa to me.

I'm expecting a Ryu style Street Fighter as the next Samurai hero.

And the next Knight is gonna be a Roman Centurion with a scutum and a gladius.

E: You're right. In-game they blur the lower part and you can't see it, but this other image clearly shows he has sickles

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 20, 2017

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

A legionnaire? :getin:

That's way better than some ninja dual wielding some sickles.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

So as with every fighting game I've ever played, the character I start with and end up really liking turns out to be garbage tier (Valkyrie). Is Lawbringer any good?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

A legionnaire? :getin:

That's way better than some ninja dual wielding some sickles.

I wonder if he's gonna be a heavy, or like, a heavy/vanguard hybrid or what.

Hm, well, if he's knights, they already have a heavy/vanguard, so maybe heavy/assassin like Valkyrie?

Double Bill posted:

So as with every fighting game I've ever played, the character I start with and end up really liking turns out to be garbage tier (Valkyrie). Is Lawbringer any good?

Lawbringer is kinda fun but very hard to play well. Good for throwing players around at low skill, probably not the best character for high skill play. He's got some real fun moves for sure though.

Valkyrie is getting massive buffs in the coming patch, at least.

Top tier if you give a poo poo about that kinda thing is: Warden, Orochi, Nobushi... pretty much in that order.

But tiers are dumb and play the character you want, because almost nobody in this thread is good enough for it to matter, and playing different characters is more fun.

In a lot of ways Shugoki can be the "noob cannon" of this game, he's easy to kill other noobs with when you're a noob. But a really good Shugoki player can be scary even at pretty high levels of skill.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 20, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Double Bill posted:

Valkyrie is getting a buff in the next patch, so i'd still main her. Valkyrie is pretty solid at the skill level im playing at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat, can't wait for that Roman soldier to unlock. I'll play the poo poo out of him just cause I'm in love with everything Legion.