Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Suicide Squad isn't badly edited. It's tastelessly edited - which is an important distinction. The noticeable recycling of effects shots gives it a distinct Roger Corman vibe, for example.

People like to point out 'it was edited by a trailer company!', but Hollywood trailers aren't known for their bad editing. Quite the opposite, they are known for being too well-edited, to the point of misleading people.

No, they're not. For every misleading trailer, there's 10 trailers that just go through the entire movie step by step.

Also, editing a trailer has a completely different purpose than editing a feature film. It's a totally valid thing to point out.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I can't believe we had such a long discussion about recent schlock without anyone bringing up Pan or Jupiter Ascending.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only part of pan that was in enjoyable in a shlocky way was the smells like teen spirit bit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cast Tilda Swinton?

...poo poo, now I want to hear her say the vampire line.

I think she's too old now.

But yeah, they would have to use the British dub script with it's increasingly profane insults, where they blow through all the curse words and start making up their own.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Jupiter Ascending felt like such a nothing of a movie. It had potential, for sure. A movie about the byzantine machinations of the space aristocracy who render down the proletariat to artificially extend their lives should be fascinating, but it deftly avoids anything really interesting to focus, instead, on the bland adventures of a stock YA novel protagonist, and then pointedly ignores any possible interesting consequences of those adventures. It felt kind of like if Dune had been written by Stephanie Meyer.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^ Yeah I guess that's fair, JA had some potential that it didn't realize. I still love Eddie's unhinged character though, plus Sean Bean was good and Channing was trying his hardest.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

he was doing well as charming Scottish rogue in the second tomb raider movie but then Jolie killed him (tearfully) , so

At least he was better than Daniel Craig

Craig's accent is so weird in Tomb Raider.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Phylodox posted:

Jupiter Ascending felt like such a nothing of a movie. It had potential, for sure. A movie about the byzantine machinations of the space aristocracy who render down the proletariat to artificially extend their lives should be fascinating, but it deftly avoids anything really interesting to focus, instead, on the bland adventures of a stock YA novel protagonist, and then pointedly ignores any possible interesting consequences of those adventures. It felt kind of like if Dune had been written by Stephanie Meyer.

Basically it's the best 70s anime movie ever made, even down to everyone's body language. I loved it, but it is indeed loving ridiculous and indulgent.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

well why not posted:

Keanu now has John Wick

I still associate him more with the Matrix series.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

FELD1 posted:

I still associate him more with the Matrix series.

The Matrix Revolutions is 14 years old

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Keanu's been associated with action almost since the beginning. Before Wick it was the Matrix. Before the Matrix it was Speed. Before that, Point Break. And other action movies sprinkled in between.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's all just biding time until Bill & Ted 3.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Literally 100% of people think of Keanu as Neo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

Literally 100% of people think of Keanu as Neo.

People who were too young to watch any of the Matrix films in theaters are old enough to vote

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I still think of him as Ted.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Sir, I know where the bastard lives!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

I think she's too old now.

But yeah, they would have to use the British dub script with it's increasingly profane insults, where they blow through all the curse words and start making up their own.

Tilda Swinton would actually be perfect for Benten, I never got the impression any of them were supposed to be particularly young.

Like, honestly if I had to cast a CCO808 movie: Keanu as Sengoku, Batista as Gogol, Tilda Swinton as Benten.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Tilda Swinton would actually be perfect for Benten, I never got the impression any of them were supposed to be particularly young.

Like, honestly if I had to cast a CCO808 movie: Keanu as Sengoku, Batista as Gogol, Tilda Swinton as Benten.

I've kind of thought of them being in their late twenties or thirties, especially Sengoku, because he feels like he should be experienced enough to have been a cop but young enough to be a rebellious punk. Gogol, however, would be someone in his 40s or 50s. I would go for Dwayne Johnson, because he's got to be big dude but also intelligent and well-spoken.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The dumbest failure movies that were fun from last year were The Nice Guys, TMNT 2, and Gods of Egypt, though there are a few I still need to see like Huntsman 2 and The BFGThe dumbest failure movies that were fun from last year were The Nice Guys, TMNT 2, and Gods of Egypt, though there are a few I still need to see like Huntsman 2 and The BFG

got any sevens posted:

Jury Duty? That'd be my lowest from that list.
Nope!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Tars Tarkas posted:

The dumbest failure movies that were fun from last year were The Nice Guys, TMNT 2, and Gods of Egypt, though there are a few I still need to see like Huntsman 2 and The BFGThe dumbest failure movies that were fun from last year were The Nice Guys, TMNT 2, and Gods of Egypt, though there are a few I still need to see like Huntsman 2 and The BFG

Nope!

I heard thatThe dumbest failure movies that were fun from last year were The Nice Guys, TMNT 2, and Gods of Egypt, though there are a few I still need to see like Huntsman 2 and The BFG, can I get a confirmation?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought The Nice Guys was fairly well rated.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
TMNT 2 ruled.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It bombed at the box office, which sucked as it was a lot of fun and will help fuel the fire that people don't see original properties.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the nice guys was an actual good movie though. gods of egypt is in the so bad it's good category (if you liked it which i didnt).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

92% on Rotten Tomatoes but only $57 million on a $50 million budget. One of my favourite films of last year FWIW but I also have a huge crush on Ryan Gosling.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Improbable Lobster posted:

92% on Rotten Tomatoes but only $57 million on a $50 million budget. One of my favourite films of last year FWIW but I also have a huge crush on Ryan Gosling.

I don't get how that's a failure. It made back it's budget and 14% profit. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it seems like for a mid-budget flick, that's not too bad.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've also heard nothing but good word of mouth so it's probably doing pretty well on streaming and disc sales.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well it only made $36 domestic. Plus marketing costs a lot. And theaters receive a much larger portion of international grosses.

e: or, if you're not aware, domestic theaters also receive a cut of the box office.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 20, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Coming out in the crowded summer months probably didn't help it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The first time I saw the trailer, I was interested. Ever subsequent marketing exposure made me less interested, to the point where I still haven't see it even at home.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leavemywife posted:

I don't get how that's a failure. It made back it's budget and 14% profit. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it seems like for a mid-budget flick, that's not too bad.

It has to make double.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm upset that I only now found out about Colossal.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

No movie has ever made money.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

No movie has ever made money.

:staredog:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

feedmyleg posted:

Well it only made $36 domestic.

That number seems kinda low :v:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I would like to sit in on one of the meetings where investors come up with fuckhuge projected returns for movies like... Spider Man 12 or whatever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

I would like to sit in on one of the meetings where investors come up with fuckhuge projected returns for movies like... Spider Man 12 or whatever.
Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I love that email so much.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Josh Lyman posted:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

Every time I try to read one of the Sony emails I get a severe nosebleed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Every morning I wake up hoping another movie studios emails were hacked just so they could bring as much joy into my life as Sony's did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Every morning I wake up hoping another movie studios emails were hacked just so they could bring as much joy into my life as Sony's did.

The saga of Angelina Jolie's Cleopatra movie was amazing.

• Locked thread