Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Railing Kill posted:

Fair enough. I guess it's just frustrating that First contact and Nemesis both turn into cheesy action movies instead of being cheesy sci fi morality plays like they're supposed to be. If I can't blame the writers on their own, then I can blame the producers who almost certainly foisted the dumb, off-tone poo poo on the writers.

"Have Worf shoot a Borg and say an action hero one-liner."
--A Hollywood producer

"Have Patrick Stewart fist fight Tom Hardy at the end of this movie."
--A Hollywood producer

You can also blame Stewart and Spiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Railing Kill posted:

Fair enough. I guess it's just frustrating that First contact and Nemesis both turn into cheesy action movies instead of being cheesy sci fi morality plays like they're supposed to be. If I can't blame the writers on their own, then I can blame the producers who almost certainly foisted the dumb, off-tone poo poo on the writers.

"Have Worf shoot a Borg and say an action hero one-liner."
--A Hollywood producer

"Have Patrick Stewart fist fight Tom Hardy at the end of this movie."
--A Hollywood producer

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek As 'Fun, Watchable'

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The idea of giving a faceless villain a face is done even worse in Terminator Salvation. Skynet pops up on screen as Helena Bonham Carter and taunts Default White Guy. Why the hell does Skynet, which is a sentient computer need to gloat and explain its brilliant plan to the hero?

Funny thing is they changed to this because the twist at the end of the movie was originally in the script going to be that they find out that Skynet is actually taking care of humans in a paradise. That was deemed to complex for the audience to understand.

First contact is a decent sci-fi action movie, the stuff with the 21st century humans and crew is a lot of fun, but while the borg certainly seem scary in it, at the same time it started their downward spiral into nonthreatening silly villains. I don't see why the traditional disembodied voices would have been less threatening. I guess they couldn't sex that up, and something tells me Spiner wanted to get sexed up in the movie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sbaldrick posted:

But to do that you have to pretend Voyager didn't happen.

Ok, done. Man, Star Trek is so good.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Timby posted:

You can also blame Stewart and Spiner.

Yeah. But that's more to my point about not letting fans control the script. But someone else said that a little ways back.

CPColin posted:

Trying not to get assimilated, huh?

Resistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QznWtrIdro

Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VUxzpz0W2k

Futile.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I always liked that idea since it seemed the entire nature and goals of the borg changed so much since they were introduced. I liked them better when they were 100% just interested in technology but weren't really all that hostile. Sure they placed no value on life, but they weren't hammy villains or out to build a traditional empire. They lived in their cube(s) and flew around collecting and researching better technology as a form of perfection.

Also if the borg are just a collective of a ton of people, unless a majority of them wanted to enslave the universe they'd probably just want to chill. Forceably assimilate people and you've just added that many voices in the collective that think forced assimilation is lovely and bad. There's really no reason for the borg to be so evil and dispassionate and zombie-like, they'd be if anything the most cultured and philosophical of all with such a diverse collection of minds floating around.

Having the borg queen in there forcing her will on the whole collective, either through origional design of the borg, a expirment that went wrong, or some scheme this lady put together to take control of this huge peaceful collective would have been more interesting. Her being eliminated could have turned the borg more peaceful as suddenly it's 1 drone 1 vote in terms of the direction of their society. We almost saw that in voyager when they helped some borg survivors set up a new collective. Could have been really interesting to explore a post-queen borg with tons of drones wanting to be individuals again, others wanting to carry on with their "mission" queen or not, others wanting to become a more peaceful isolationist collective, maybe even some sort of compromise between full individuality and a full collective. Such a potentially interesting race turned into zombies with an evil queen.

Exploring them along these lines is one of the few things that would interest me in a new show set post-Voyager. Theoretically you could have the Borg, or a faction, join the Federation or at least ally a la the Klingons in TNG.

Just in time for the Kelvans to arrive from Andromeda in force. :getin:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Wrapped up S5 of TNG finally

Time's Arrow is an entertaining 2 part episode of Doctor Who that features the TNG cast for some reason

At least until you get to the last half of part 2 with Twain on the ship

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 20, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah. But that's more to my point about not letting fans control the script. But someone else said that a little ways back

That was me. :pseudo:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I like the part where Data cleans out Gul Dukat and his friends at the poker table.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PenguinKnight posted:

Wrapped up S5 of TNG finally

Time's Arrow is an entertaining 2 part episode of Doctor Who that features the TNG cast for some reason

The only thing I don't like about it is the forced "Oh call me Jack, Jack London!". Samuel Clements is fine though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Who me? Just some famous historical person before I got famous.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The only thing I don't like about it is the forced "Oh call me Jack, Jack London!". Samuel Clements is fine though.

I was expecting Ford when Data was working on the thing on his desk and he started asking about engines and stuff

(note i know zero things about the history of cars)

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Timby posted:

That was me. :pseudo:

Hahahaha god, I'm dumb. ENT has rotted my brain.

:downs::hf::pseudo:

Speaking of ENT, that last episode ("A Night in Sickbay") made me think of a bunch of dumb, goony poo poo about Porthos.

He's a beagle, so wouldn't he be howling all the time? It's not like humans have been going into deep space very long, so I doubt the dog is acclimated to warp space flight. Fuckin thing probably howls all the time and keeps up an entire deck worth of red shirts 26/7.
:goonsay:

Where does he poop and pee? We don't see a box for it in the captain's quarters, and T'Pol mentions that he doesn't know how to use a toilet. Is Archer letting him poo poo on the floor and then flushing it down the sonic toilet or whatever? Wouldn't his quarters smell like rear end for keeping a dog in such a confined space for so long, even if he didn't crap everywhere? Do they have a steam cleaner on board?

Does Porthos have any way to get exercise? Do they try to walk him on those treadmills, or is he just going to get super fat by season four?

Does Porthos eat only human food, or is the unseen cook Archer is always talking about making special dog food just for him? If so, why waste the resources on such a small and experimental ship? If not, wouldn't Porthos have heinous shits, like, all the time?

Wouldn't Archer know not to let Porthos pee on the Kreetassan's sacred tree? It's not like some random tree in an orchard somewhere. Fuckin thing was by itself right in the middle of a courtyard. It would be like letting a dog pee on that special tree at the top of Minas Tirath. Gandalf would be pissed, and rightly so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PenguinKnight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

Hahahaha god, I'm dumb. ENT has rotted my brain.

:downs::hf::pseudo:

Speaking of ENT, that last episode ("A Night in Sickbay") made me think of a bunch of dumb, goony poo poo about Porthos.

He's a beagle, so wouldn't he be howling all the time? It's not like humans have been going into deep space very long, so I doubt the dog is acclimated to warp space flight. Fuckin thing probably howls all the time and keeps up an entire deck worth of red shirts 26/7.

Where does he poop and pee? We don't see a box for it in the captain's quarters, and T'Pol mentions that he doesn't know how to use a toilet. Is Archer letting him poo poo on the floor and then flushing it down the sonic toilet or whatever? Wouldn't his quarters smell like rear end for keeping a dog in such a confined space for so long, even if he didn't crap everywhere? Do they have a steam cleaner on board?

Does Porthos have any way to get exercise? Do they try to walk him on those treadmills, or is he just going to get super fat by season four?

Does Porthos eat only human food, or is the unseen cook Archer is always talking about making special dog food just for him? If so, why waste the resources on such a small and experimental ship? If not, wouldn't Porthos have heinous shits, like, all the time?

Wouldn't Archer know not to let Porthos pee on the Kreetassan's sacred tree? It's not like some random tree in an orchard somewhere. Fuckin thing was by itself right in the middle of a courtyard. It would be like letting a dog pee on that special tree at the top of Minas Tirath. Gandalf would be pissed, and rightly so.

He makes Trip beam out Porthos' poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

Who me? Just some famous historical person before I got famous.

It's very cliche as well. I'm pretty sure Jack London did work as a bellhop in SF, but still it felt really shoehorned in.

PenguinKnight posted:

I was expecting Ford when Data was working on the thing on his desk and he started asking about engines and stuff

(note i know zero things about the history of cars)

The inventor of the modern internal combustion engine was a German named Otto in 1856, so Data was about 30 years too late.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My boss recently ran out of the office because he saw someone with a dog and his dog peed on some random tree in our building's parking lot and he got mad and told the guy this is private property and don't let your dog go to the bathroom. The guy was all "well where should he go to the bathroom?" and it turned into a yelling swearing flip out confrontation.

It reminded me of that holy tree episode of enterprise.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Nemesis was missing the fun or watchable components though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It's very cliche as well. I'm pretty sure Jack London did work as a bellhop in SF, but still it felt really shoehorned in.

While I like the show, Timeless does this a lot. Every episode is "We have to go to this place at this time. WHOA! Harry Houdini, Lyndon B. Johnson and George Washington were all here for a conference!" And then each of those people helps them resolve the problem of the week.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MillennialVulcan posted:

Nemesis was missing the fun or watchable components though.

Not First Contact, though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if Phlox ever had to express Porthos' anal glands

I bet he liked it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if Phlox ever had to express Porthos' anal glands

I bet he liked it

"This should make a really nice tea."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

Pretty much everything that isn't on 21st-century Earth falls flat for me. We've already discussed the issues with the Queen, but Frakes is not a particularly talented action director. There's like one good shot in the entire movie on the Borgified Enterprise (the drones advancing through the fog, which admittedly Rogue One stole without shame), but the rest of it is just kind of ... there. Picard going ham in the conference room is ludicrously over the top, too -- the take of the "this far, no further" speech that was used in one of the trailers is so, so, so much better.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Like, maybe it wasn't perfect, but we're never gonna get a Star Trek film that isn't action-y. Not anymore, anyway. That's the specific thing I'm thinking about, that there probably aren't gonna be any slow contemplative movies that actually resemble the better episodes of the show.

I'd pay for a Star Trek version of My Dinner With Andre, and so would a lot of you probably, but big budget franchises can't rest on niche appeal. People in charge want Star Wars and Avengers numbers for every production.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 20, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Arrival was quite successful, there's a market for well written "brainy" scify that isn't a lovely action movie with light-year wide plot holes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

Like, maybe it wasn't perfect, but we're never gonna get a Star Trek film that isn't action-y. Not anymore, anyway.

I don't mind action-oriented Star Trek, as long as it's done well. None of the action in the TNG movies (outside of the space battle in Generations) was done particularly well.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I'd much rather see a Trek film with the budget of something along the lines of Arrival, Ex Machina, District 9, Moon, Sunshine etc. I liked Beyond, but it didn't need a budget of $185 million. gently caress, even Gravity and The Martian only had $100 million budgets, and looked far more impressive.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

The Arrival was quite successful, there's a market for well written "brainy" scify that isn't a lovely action movie with light-year wide plot holes.

This is what I was thinking, and Arrival style Star Trek.

Maybe more adventury than actiony. They go to a planet which has ancient alien ruins on it, and exploring them becomes the challenge. No monologing bad guy, no phaser fights, just people trying to reason things out and the enviroment being the challenge.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beyond's budget is crazy-high because even though the production was moved to Canada to offset costs, they didn't actually start filming until literally a year before its release, which is utterly insane for an effects-heavy film nowadays. Paramount wound up eating a ton of rush billing from the VFX providers, particularly Double Negative.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The guy behind Twain is my favorite character guest actor in all of Trek. :colbert:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Orv posted:

The guy behind Twain is my favorite character guest actor in all of Trek. :colbert:

The guy back there with the sideburns, you mean? Oh yeah, he's amazing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:golfclap:

No, really though.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

WickedHate posted:

That would be why I didn't mention it, yes.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
So, Brazil now has it's own chupacabra. There's been "reports" of attacks by a thing called chupa cu, whose name translates to sucks rear end. As in the action of literally sucking an rear end.

Why am i posting about this in the Star Trek thread? Because this is supposedly what the dangerous creature looks like:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sucking rear end is NOT logical. It's not logical at all.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The guy that played Mark Twain was spot on as far as looks but did Twain sound like Beavis in real life?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Frionnel posted:

So, Brazil now has it's own chupacabra. There's been "reports" of attacks by a thing called chupa cu, whose name translates to sucks rear end. As in the action of literally sucking an rear end.

Why am i posting about this in the Star Trek thread? Because this is supposedly what the dangerous creature looks like:

Grandma's sexual fantasies coming to light.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The guy that played Mark Twain was spot on as far as looks but did Twain sound like Beavis in real life?

Probably. There were tons of regional accents all over the world before the advent of radio and other mass communication, and some American ones sounded really weird.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

twistedmentat posted:

Grandma's sexual fantasies coming to light.

Probably. There were tons of regional accents all over the world before the advent of radio and other mass communication, and some American ones sounded really weird.

Building on that a bit, back in medieval England (a generation or two after William's invasion) there are stories about the peasents basically being unable to talk with the village a few hours down the river since the regional accents were so wild. I wish there was a way to hear what life was like before the radio, it would have been fascinating to hear all of the accents that must have come together during the civil war or the gold rush.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Pretty much everything that isn't on 21st-century Earth falls flat for me. We've already discussed the issues with the Queen, but Frakes is not a particularly talented action director. There's like one good shot in the entire movie on the Borgified Enterprise (the drones advancing through the fog, which admittedly Rogue One stole without shame), but the rest of it is just kind of ... there. Picard going ham in the conference room is ludicrously over the top, too -- the take of the "this far, no further" speech that was used in one of the trailers is so, so, so much better.
Still the 3rd best ST film IMO, with #1 being WoK and #2 being TUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
IIRC the typical "American" accent is actually the original British one and it's the ones across the pond who've changed.

I have no idea what typical American sounds like because unless it's like, some variety of Southern specifically, every attempt an American accent just sounds "normal" to me.