Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Subjunctive posted:

I'm doing a bunch of work on improving diversity and quality of life for non-bros, and my mantra is "more mediocre women". You shouldn't have to be a loving superhero to have a comfortable career in tech as a woman or PoC. God knows white men don't.

i'm a woman on an engineering team, and my boss told me that the women applying to work with us are near-invariably EXTREMELY overqualified

i often feel as if the devs are overly harsh on female interviewees, but since i'm not a dev (i'm QA), i can't really say for sure. however, there was a blond thin former model who could barely speak english and did not know what pivotal was who they wanted to hire until she decided to stay at her current job. hmm.

Pick posted:

I remember meeting a female engineer in a very, very heavily male dominated field (even for engineering), and she told me that on her first day, as the first female in the entire company, her boss took her aside and said, "There's no sexism at this company, so don't go playing the 'woman card'."

Just try to peel that loving onion.

And this wasn't the 70s, this was like four years ago.

in a conversation during our first female dev's welcome lunch, one of my coworkers said "as a man, laundry just isn't something i was born to do." fortunately, this is the most blatantly sexist thing i've ever heard any of them say, and the entire rest of the team was appalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

in a conversation during our first female dev's welcome lunch, one of my coworkers said "as a man, laundry just isn't something i was born to do." fortunately, this is the most blatantly sexist thing i've ever heard any of them say, and the entire rest of the team was appalled.

I hope someone shut him up with something like, "As a man the only thing you were born to do is poo poo yourself, luckily you can be trained for the rest."

loving hate that casual sexism not being called out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Laundry is the best chore ever, too. Take thirty seconds to sort poo poo, toss in a load, go watch TV until you put it in the dryer and start another load, repeat. Then take ten minutes to fold it all. It's like the only chore where the vast majority of it is just straight up free time.

Unless you don't own a washing machine, I guess.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hughlander posted:

I hope someone shut him up with something like, "As a man the only thing you were born to do is poo poo yourself, luckily you can be trained for the rest."

loving hate that casual sexism not being called out.

none of us had a snappy comeback, but at least one of us said "what the gently caress is wrong with you" and it was probably me

food court bailiff posted:

Laundry is the best chore ever, too. Take thirty seconds to sort poo poo, toss in a load, go watch TV until you put it in the dryer and start another load, repeat. Then take ten minutes to fold it all. It's like the only chore where the vast majority of it is just straight up free time.

Unless you don't own a washing machine, I guess.

laundry is my favorite chore. i love sorting clothes, doing change calculations, measuring out detergent, etc. plus, the laundromat down the street from me has wifi

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Every time I go to the laundromat another dryer is marked as FOR STORE USE ONLY and another one is broken

also the lady running the place looks like a melted candle

Boyfriend's [32M] parents will show up at our house whenever we have a fight. I'm [28F] slowly losing it.

quote:

So I live with my boyfriend [32M] of three years and we live approximately 3-4 hours away in the next closest city. The problem, which has slowly been driving me insane, is that every time my boyfriend and I have any sort of argument or get upset in any sort of way, his parents [69F,75M] will always find a way to get involved in one way or another.

It first happened two years ago when I had an argument with my boyfriend about one of his best friends who often drives drunk. My uncle was killed by a drunk driver and left behind three kids so I have absolutely zero respect for people who willingly drive while intoxicated. My boyfriend thought I was being too judgmental by not even giving him a chance but I disagreed. Anyways it was a personal thing between us until his parents found out and invited us over for a casual barbecue with that exact friend in attendance! The mom then tried to low-key arrange an "introduction" between me and that friend the entire evening. I left angry and mostly just confused.

These types of things would happen almost semi-regularly over the next few years. We'd have a fight about something personal between us, and not a few days later the parents would show up either in our house or in the neighborhood or pop up somewhere to have a "conversation" with me over coffee or dinner or whatever. It would always start innocuously and steer into bad territory. Always uncomfortable, always unnecessary.

Anyways, things came to a head this year. I lost my older sister in November and it's been unbelievably tough just to get through some days. She has a cat, so I've been talking to my boyfriend about adopting the cat to keep it from falling to shelters. However, my boyfriend hates cats, owns a small dog, and was worried about the dynamics of including another pet. It was all fairly reasonable and level-headed between us, although it was a tough talk. I didn't want my sister's pet to be abandoned, but I also didn't want my boyfriend to feel uncomfortable in his own home (or his dog). So...while we were in the midst of figuring out a solution (mainly on fostering while we tried to rehome with someone we knew well), his parents both showed up at our place to have dinner literally two days after we had this discussion.

Lo and behold, it was completely about the cat. They went on and on about how their son never liked cats, how he may even be allergic, how having more animals will only burden us, how I shouldn't think about taking care of animals when I'm grieving, how maybe I should even find a grief counselor since I'm obviously still struggling but in the wrong ways! The entire time, I had to grin and nod and act polite while I'm boiling inside. After they left, I was furious and told my boyfriend that I had had enough. He always maintained that his parents got involved because they "meant well" but I am just so, so sick of pretending to be pleasant while listening to the unending stream of BS they forcefully spout off at me. I once asked him to tell his parents less about our talks, but he refuses, saying that his parents are elderly and being an only child he has a duty to keep them in his life.

Anyways, what can I do? My boyfriend refuses to tell his parents less and we seem unable to keep his parents from spontaneously showing up at ours. I'm so sick and tired this time that I can't even humor them anymore. If I have to be lectured in a roundabout way one more time by his parents, I genuinely think I'm gonna lose it and just go off on them. Seriously, what do I do?

tl;dr: Boyfriend's parents live close to us and will spontaneously show up to "contribute" whenever boyfriend and I are having an argument, emotional event, tough talk, etc. Having trouble maintaining politeness after all this time.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
"Thank you for your concern, but this is an issue between the two of us and we will discuss it privately. How is your garden coming along, Eleanor?" And then politely and kindly and continuously repeat that it's not their business while redirecting conversation. When they're gone, dump your boyfriend and get someone who will stand up and tell his parents MYOB, we're adults and we can handle this ourselves.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Every time I go to the laundromat another dryer is marked as FOR STORE USE ONLY and another one is broken

also the lady running the place looks like a melted candle

Boyfriend's [32M] parents will show up at our house whenever we have a fight. I'm [28F] slowly losing it.

quote:

So I live with my boyfriend [32M] of three years and we live approximately 3-4 hours away in the next closest city. The problem, which has slowly been driving me insane, is that every time my boyfriend and I have any sort of argument or get upset in any sort of way, his parents [69F,75M] will always find a way to get involved in one way or another.

lol, here's an age gap story that breaks the mold a little

is it safe to say he's an only child? edit: lol re-read the post, of course he's an only child

if you can't even have a discussion about your dead sister's pet without your boyfriend telling his parents on you you should probably :sever:, lady, there is nothing in this relationship worth saving

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 20, 2017

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Renegret posted:

wow rude I already made that joke UGH

I sat on my hot joke for too long and now I look like an rear end!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mirthless posted:

is it safe to say he's an only child? edit: lol re-read the post, of course he's an only child
His parents were 43 and 37 when he was born, so unless they'd been together for ~20 years at that point, no one cares about their age gap.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Incoherence posted:

His parents were 43 and 37 when he was born, so unless they'd been together for ~20 years at that point, no one cares about their age gap.

The age gap I was referring to was the age gap between him and his parents

In theory there's nothing wrong with waiting until you're in your 40s to have kids, but I think it's pretty clear it was an issue in this case

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Faffel posted:

I sat on my hot joke for too long and now I look like an rear end!

I acknowledge our differences and respect you, friend

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

My girlfriend [23F] made a joke about cheating on me [29M] shortly after we had sex. We've been together five years. I'm incredibly hurt and upset.

quote:

My girlfriend and I were having sex on Friday night. During a particularly intense blowjob, I began giggling because it felt so good. She came up and starts laughing with me, then goes back to business. We engage in the usual sex, afterward we're laying in bed, I'm smoking a cigarette, and she says...

"I was going to joke around during that blowjob that I got practice cheating on you."

I completely wigged out. Now, I've never had any reason to believe that she would ever cheat on me, and I still believe that she hasn't fooled around with anyone else, but for the life of me I can't imagine why she would say something like that.

This whole time, she's crying like I've never seen her cry before, begging me not to break up with her, etc. This made me even more furious - how can she be the one upset, when the words came from her mouth, not mine? Eventually I calmed down, drank a couple of beers, then went to bed. We always sleep spooning - the last two nights I have slept with my back to her.

We have been together for five years and I've never felt so hurt or upset, and I don't know how to move forward, or if I should. Or why she would even think that it was something to joke about.

As soon as she said it, I immediately snapped on her. I told her, practically screamed at her, that I would never in a million years even think about joking with her about infidelity, because without the utmost trust, the relationship means nothing to me.

Am I overreacting and overthinking all of this? How can I forgive and forget? It stings so badly, replaying that line over and over again in my head.

Tl;DR Girlfriend joked about cheating on me, although I don't think she ever would, am I wrong to be so upset?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

My girlfriend [23F] made a joke about cheating on me [29M] shortly after we had sex. We've been together five years. I'm incredibly hurt and upset.

that's an awfully weird thing to joke about in an awfully weird way at an awfully peculiar time

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mirthless posted:

that's an awfully weird thing to joke about in an awfully weird way at an awfully peculiar time

Yeah, the weirdest part is she didn't actually make the joke. She thought about it, managed to decide not to say it for some reason, then figured it'd be a funny thing to bring up right after...just weird. The part of me that reads this thread too much thinks this was her way of confessing to cheating, but it could also just easily be a horribly timed/thought through joke that's not worth ending a 5 year relationship over.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, I'm guessing she actually did cheat, and that's what she's really so upset about.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think the guy's response is understandable given the situation, timing and way this "joke" came out. But couldn't it be that she just said something incredibly dumb with poor timing, such things do happen.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Eh I kinda think that joke, even if it was a joke, is pretty beyond the pale

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol it's a joke chill out

quote:

As soon as she said it, I immediately snapped on her. I told her, practically screamed at her, that I would never in a million years even think about joking with her about infidelity, because without the utmost trust, the relationship means nothing to me.

I feel like maybe the dude snapping and screaming at someone because of a joke in poor taste is the bigger issue tbh

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That guys dumbass parents are going to cost him his marriage

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

I think the guy's response is understandable given the situation, timing and way this "joke" came out. But couldn't it be that she just said something incredibly dumb with poor timing, such things do happen.
screaming at your girlfriend of 5 years so that she cries uncontrollably and begs you not to leave her then being pissy at her for 2 more days is an understandable response to a dumb joke?

Do other couples not make jokes like that? Am I the weird one?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Yeah wtf.

Lol at them all sticking up for someone they themselves admit habitually drives drunk when the girl has family that was killed by a drunk driver. How loving dumbshit can you get? I guess dumbshit enough to keep hanging out with that person in the first place.

yeah I don't get what the big deal is

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 20, 2017

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
How DARE you joke about CHEATING after putting my DINGALING in your MOUTH during our SEXYTIMES??????????

sout
Apr 24, 2014

At least she didn't actually make the joke when she wanted to originally because he probably would have just killed her on the spot.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

screaming at your girlfriend of 5 years so that she cries uncontrollably and begs you not to leave her then being pissy at her for 2 more days is an understandable response to a dumb joke?

Yeah I skimmed it the first time and you are right that screaming was not acceptable or understandable

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

54 40 or gently caress posted:

He sounds like a mommy's boy. They are always terrible people.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spatial posted:

Seriously can we really blame his parents when he's the one running to tell them every time his girlfriend hurts his feefs?

I mean aside from the 30 years of bad parenting it took to get there

it's a little weird to just start making jokes like this five years into the relationship

he is definitely not being reasonable, still weird though :shrug:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 20, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Spatial posted:

Are they ever.

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah wtf.

Lol at them all sticking up for someone they themselves admit habitually drives drunk when the girl has family that was killed by a drunk driver. How loving dumbshit can you get? I guess dumbshit enough to keep hanging out with that person in the first place.

yeah I don't get what the big deal is

If my in laws did this instance number two I'd tell them to mind their own loving business, and they can feel free to sit and spin.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Spatial posted:

When I was a teen and my Mum was talking about relationships and poo poo as you do, she mentioned mummy's boys, avoiding them and the signs to look for. It was actually very helpful!

The moral. Tell your daughters how to not get stuck with mummy's boys.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is a loving joke, get real. And to get yelled at for that?

It is even pretty funny, if you think about how jokes work.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mirthless posted:

it's a little weird to just start making jokes like this five years into the relationship

he is definitely not being reasonable, still weird though :shrug:

Yeah, I think that's a sense of humor you establish fairly early in the relationship and if it's not then it's understandable to be upset about it. Screaming at her until she breaks down sobbing is way overboard though. I misread the first time and thought she started crying on her own which led to me thinking maybe she did cheat. But if he started berating her first then her reaction makes more sense...

Like...my wife and I don't make jokes about cheating on/leaving each other (outside of celebrity crush stuff) and if she made a joke about getting better at anything in bed because she was cheating on me I'd not find it funny and would let her know as much, but I wouldn't start berating her and acting like a dejected child for 3 days either.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

[23F]...[29M]...been together five years

well well

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Mirthless posted:

Yes but what do you think about drinking bleach and have you even done it?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean it just sounds like she gave a killer BJ and pulled out all the stops and made a joke about how she's been practicing.

quote:

Yeah, I think that's a sense of humor you establish fairly early in the relationship and if it's not then it's understandable to be upset about it.

Understandable. But yeah I'm pretty sure it was just a joke on her part 100% and he then just started tripped out.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

monkeytennis posted:

Yes but what do you think about drinking bleach and have you even done it?

that's... a little out of nowhere

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Moridin920 posted:

Understandable. But yeah I'm pretty sure it was just a joke on her part 100% and he then just started tripped out.

It's the kind of joke you can make if both you and your partner have a history of/are comfortable with making those kinds of jokes with each other. If one person does it out of the blue, however, it's weird as hell.

A very contextual issue.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Naerasa posted:

A very contextual issue.

Yeah fair enough. Many of these are contextual issues which is why various posters agree/disagree and arguably why the thread is interesting (aside from the point and laugh we do at the obvious 'wtf' stories).

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
1/10 is not a light concentration for bleach.
It takes half a teaspoon per quart of water for a mix that
Will decently sterilize a countertop

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Naerasa posted:

It's the kind of joke you can make if both you and your partner have a history of/are comfortable with making those kinds of jokes with each other. If one person does it out of the blue, however, it's weird as hell.

A very contextual issue.

Weird sure, but not enough to flip out and scream at your partner.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SirSamVimes posted:

Weird sure, but not enough to flip out and scream at your partner.

Nobody said it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mirthless posted:

that's... a little out of nowhere

Look back a page or two.