Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My copy of Hyrule Historia is sandwiched between coffee books of Perry Bible Fellowship and The Art of Henry Darger so girls that come over can see that I'm just an all around loving weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I am a big nerd and I like collecting strategy guides. they make me feel like a kid again.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MokBa posted:

Literally the last guide I bought was for Wind Waker. This is blowing my mind! I figured they just kept printing them out of habit.

:same: would read that poo poo in school..never needed one after i found out about gamefaqs

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MokBa posted:

People... people still buy strategy guides?

I like looking through them, the Prima ones look real nice and they're also pretty helpful. When I was going through Twilight Princess again it was nice just referring to the guide for poo poo I didn't care to find. Ultimately they just look nice and I like having them, though, with all of the poo poo to do in Breath of the Wild this is really going to come in handy.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

why not the dlc tie in with the amiibos

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

trying to keep track of 900 things sounds like an exercise in futility

I remember tyring to find all of the collectabels in saints row was a nightmare even with an item that showed me where the gently caress they were...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LOL at everyone who doesn't have eidetic memory and doesn't just flip through the whole thing at gamestop.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Is the WiiU version going to be hard to find?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

jet sanchEz posted:

Is the WiiU version going to be hard to find?

I'm no psychic but I feel that it won't be an issue.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Any word on the music in this game?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Any word on the music in this game?

this will be the first zelda game without some kind of overworld theme. other than that it sounds pretty good

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

youcallthatatwist posted:

this will be the first zelda game without some kind of overworld theme. other than that it sounds pretty good

The real question is can I buy the soundtrack on iTunes or Spotify

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd be surprised if you couldn't.

ELEVEN DAYS

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I miss the golden age of strategy guides that we had in like the early 2000s. I would have bought the Monster Hunter Generations guide if it had existed because, even though we have Kiranico to tell us what all the drop rates and stuff are, I appreciate how a lot of guides double as art books.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Reading all this N64//OoT chat just reminded me that i was the only kid I knew in school who 100% OoT and i did it without ever owning an N64.

The mom & pop video rental store in my hometown had a Demo N64 where kids could play while their parents picked out movies. my mom owned the tailors in the same shopping plaza, and the team of college age stoners and goth chicks who worked at the video store thought I was a plucky little 8 year old scamp, and after wearing them down I was a semi-permanent fixture of this video store, pretty much every day after school, and eventually after a year they gave me a key to the demo-box (They all knew I wasn't gonna steal anything and my mom was on 1st name basis with the managers).

So when OoT dropped, I played it, standing up in the middle of a video store, in 2-4 hour chunks. This was basically pre-internet, but I found every heart piece & skull-CHOO-la and the Biggoron Sword and omg what a loving amazing game. It took me like a month and change (I also had to let anyone who asked have a turn, no matter what, as part of the agreement, so it meant passing the controller off like mid-boss fight sometimes and watching some little girl get loving smashed by the Fire Temple Dragon while I whispered "hit him with the hammer" over and over...)

In my early 20's a I bought an N64 for like $30 from a yard sale and beat it 100% again in like 10 hours... but playing it sitting down on my couch with an iPad for collectibles just basically felt like a vacation.

I basically did the same thing with Majora's Mask, but that was at my lovely rich friend's house. i'd go over for big sleepovers and his parents would buy us whatever we wanted, so i'd get my friend all sugared up and then he'd pass out real early and i'd stay up all night playing his nintendo, trading his duped D2 items over to my dudes, and stealing his pokemon cards (he had like 10 foil charizards, he wasn't gonna miss 1 or 2!).

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 20, 2017

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I used to actively collect printed strategy guides and then stopped and liquidated a good portion of them, mostly due to the space that they were taking up. I rarely buy any these days, but Zelda is the one exception. I bought the treasure chest and I have a hardcover guide with those gold pages for every Zelda game in the main series that has one, and a softcover guide for all of the others.

I have some pretty rare guides from the "golden age" of guides of which I'm still quite fond. System Shock 2, the guide for Earthbound, the fan-made guide to Mother 3, a mint-condition hardcover guide to Lunar: Eternal Blue on the PSX and a few others that would sell for a fair amount. I just can't bring myself to part with a book, which is why I have so many more academic/professional books in various languages as well.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bust Rodd posted:

I basically did the same thing with Majora's Mask, but that was at my lovely rich friend's house. i'd go over for big sleepovers and his parents would buy us whatever we wanted, so i'd get my friend all sugared up and then he'd pass out real early and i'd stay up all night playing his nintendo, trading his duped D2 items over to my dudes, and stealing his pokemon cards (he had like 10 foil charizards, he wasn't gonna miss 1 or 2!).

What the gently caress

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Bill Trinen talked about why Zelda is getting DLC in some podcast.

quote:

“It was tough, because we actually had a lot of debate in terms of do we announce it, how do we announce it. I think one of the things that’s unique about the way Nintendo develops games is when we’re working on a game, and certainly just knowing the history of Nintendo games, you guys know that it’s essentially we use every last minute to make the game as good as we possibly can, and really what that means is that the dev team was working on the main game, finished the main game, and as they’re starting to get to the very end and wrap it up, really they said, ‘You know we’ve made this massive world of Hyrule, we’ve spent a long time building it. It would be a waste to just make one game and have that be it.’ We want people to be able to enjoy exploring this world, and so they started thinking about, ‘Well, if we were going to do DLC, what would we do, how would we do it?’ And you can see that in the fact that it’s not… the DLC is not launching the day after the game or the week after. It’s coming out several months later in the form of the first pack and then several months after that in the form of the second pack. And that’s because the content is in development.

And so I think from my perspective, obviously if we were able to share more details, that would have been easier, but I think if you look to the example of something like a Mario Kart-type of a DLC approach, really what the goal is is let’s give people the option to purchase it when they’re at the store buying the game and give them something to look forward to, and kind of let them know there’s more to come in this world. And if you’re a Zelda fan buying Nintendo Switch at launch and really you’re buying it for Zelda, I mean how happy are you to know that hey, I’m going to be able to play more Zelda in this world again later this year.”

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I used to actively collect printed strategy guides and then stopped and liquidated a good portion of them, mostly due to the space that they were taking up. I rarely buy any these days, but Zelda is the one exception. I bought the treasure chest and I have a hardcover guide with those gold pages for every Zelda game in the main series that has one, and a softcover guide for all of the others.

I have some pretty rare guides from the "golden age" of guides of which I'm still quite fond. System Shock 2, the guide for Earthbound, the fan-made guide to Mother 3, a mint-condition hardcover guide to Lunar: Eternal Blue on the PSX and a few others that would sell for a fair amount. I just can't bring myself to part with a book, which is why I have so many more academic/professional books in various languages as well.

I lost my Super Mario RPG guide and cannot seem to remember how to get into Belomb's treasure room the second time you see him, and never seem to remember to look it up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rexroom posted:

Bill Trinen talked about why Zelda is getting DLC in some podcast.

Wow, almost as if all the people freaking out about DLC were idiots.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, almost as if all the people freaking out about DLC were idiots.

At this point I think I hate more the people complaining about supposed DLC complainers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have extreme dislike for those who complain about people that complain about DLC complainers.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

I have extreme dislike for those who complain about people that complain about DLC complainers.

I already called myself out on that three or four pages ago :colbert:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

If that's a lovely friend, what did your good friends let you do to them?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
is the dlc coming to wii u btw

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Suspicious Dish posted:

is the dlc coming to wii u btw

Yes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

quote:

And if you’re a Zelda fan buying Nintendo Switch at launch and really you’re buying it for Zelda, I mean how happy are you to know that hey, I’m going to be able to play more Zelda in this world again later this year.

Get out of my head, dude.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

dublish posted:

If that's a lovely friend, what did your good friends let you do to them?

A wise man once said 'if you run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you ran into an rear end in a top hat. If you run into assholes all day, you're the rear end in a top hat.' This may be the case here with lovely friends.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PerrineClostermann posted:

At this point I think I hate more the people complaining about supposed DLC complainers.

What I can't bloody stand are people complaining about people complaining about people complaining. :colbert:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

JustJeff88 posted:

What I can't bloody stand are people complaining about people complaining about people complaining. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfzLyPqko8w

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JustJeff88 posted:

hey fuckface I'll see you in court for plagiarism of forum posts: the worst plagiarism anyone can commit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
hey fuckface I'll see you in court for plagiarism of forum posts: the worst plagiarism anyone can commit

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I would watch this episode of Judge Judy.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'll court you in the forum of fuckface for plagiarism: commit can see in posts hey

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Where do you think I stole that line from?

Can we complain about that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

What do you mean supposed? There have been so many in this thread alone.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Shut up about DLC chat and look at this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c356a4843f&th=1

Oh wait whoops.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

What do you mean supposed? There have been so many in this thread alone.

I haven't seen them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MokBa posted:

Shut up about DLC chat and look at this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c356a4843f&th=1

Oh wait whoops.

I mean, at least this way I get the extra points on my Amazon rewards card?