Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
My Pixel was delivered one day after I got the shipping confirmation. I live five minutes away from the Canada Post distribution centre though, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So just how secure is the Trusted Voice smart lock? I'd like to use it but I've had other people trigger my phone's OK Google command before, and if that's all it's going to take for someone to get access to the phone I don't think I'll use it. Does Trusted Voice require a closer voice match than just the regular OK Google command does?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

El Mido posted:

My Pixel was delivered one day after I got the shipping confirmation. I live five minutes away from the Canada Post distribution centre though, for what it's worth.

I've learned over the years that with Canada Post that means nothing haha. I live like 10 min away from one too, and one time my 2 day Amazon Prime parcel took 2 weeks after travelling to Sask.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Today my Galaxy S7's been losing battery like it's a sieve. I check tye battery stats and a Cloud app has sucked down 47% of what's been used. Pressing Force Stop grays that option out, then it shows up again, like it's not working right.

Should I disable it? Any way to make it stop working in the background?

e: It's apparently Verizon's app, and when I hit disable, it gives me a warning about losing data.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Dunno if anyone is already talking about this, but I just got a forced Nougat upgrade on T-Mobile for my Galaxy S7. That's fun, I guess?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

Dunno if anyone is already talking about this, but I just got a forced Nougat upgrade on T-Mobile for my Galaxy S7. That's fun, I guess?

Jesus christ, 6 months late and Samsung users still don't want the update

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ, 6 months late and Samsung users still don't want the update

Bbbut it's DIFFERENT and I'm scared

Of course it will break things in new and exciting ways, which is why it's so fun!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Just got a Pixel, fuggin love it.

Quick question: Do i really need to slavisly adhere to the recommendations in the manual to use only approved USB C chargers? are adapters bad? I have a big ol battery back I don't want to become obsolete?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Today my Galaxy S7's been losing battery like it's a sieve. I check tye battery stats and a Cloud app has sucked down 47% of what's been used. Pressing Force Stop grays that option out, then it shows up again, like it's not working right.

e: It's apparently Verizon's app, and when I hit disable, it gives me a warning about losing data.

You can go ahead and disable it, unless you're using it for some reason, in which case you should consider switching to an alternative.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

You can go ahead and disable it, unless you're using it for some reason, in which case you should consider switching to an alternative.

I'm not purposefully using it, I just didn't know if disabling it would bork my phone somehow. My old iPhone didn't have carrier apps like that when I was on AT&T.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

I'm not purposefully using it, I just didn't know if disabling it would bork my phone somehow. My old iPhone didn't have carrier apps like that when I was on AT&T.

I would go ahead and disable it, there's nothing that app backs up that you can't back up yourself using better methods.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

I would go ahead and disable it, there's nothing that app backs up that you can't back up yourself using better methods.

Cool, thanks

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Just got a Pixel, fuggin love it.

Quick question: Do i really need to slavisly adhere to the recommendations in the manual to use only approved USB C chargers? are adapters bad? I have a big ol battery back I don't want to become obsolete?

You're in luck - goons have done a deep dive into this USB-C poo poo some time back.

A good summary of what's safe to buy for your Pixel can be found here, along with a follow-up for car charging here.

TLDR: Buy a couple of approved A-C cables (one for use with your battery pack), an Apple-type 12w car charger (use the other A-C cable here), and maybe a spare Pixel OEM charger.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Oh yeah, mine came like three weeks earlier than they said initially.

This turned out to be accurate. Pixel was estimated to arrive March 7-9. Shipped today.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

anakha posted:

You're in luck - goons have done a deep dive into this USB-C poo poo some time back.

A good summary of what's safe to buy for your Pixel can be found here, along with a follow-up for car charging here.

TLDR: Buy a couple of approved A-C cables (one for use with your battery pack), an Apple-type 12w car charger (use the other A-C cable here), and maybe a spare Pixel OEM charger.

Thanks alot! (Though that first link doesn't appear to go to any convo about USB c but I get it)

So when you have a good cable, it doesn't matter how many amps your charger does, though obviously you want a 2.4a one for fast charging. Is that about right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Thanks alot! (Though that first link doesn't appear to go to any convo about USB c but I get it)

So when you have a good cable, it doesn't matter how many amps your charger does, though obviously you want a 2.4a one for fast charging. Is that about right?

I'm not even going to attempt to answer your question but do a search on bull's posts in this thread and work your way backward, you'll get every answer you need.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
My Pixel is great - the only thing that's frustrating is buying loving USB C cables for this thing. I *thought* this cable was appropriate to use (it has the 56k resistor) however some people in the reviews said it didn't meet specs (recent reviews) so I have no idea what to think anymore.

Edit: Looks like one of the only cables that is acceptable is this one. $23 a piece but I guess it won't fry my phone.

Edit2: Is this issue with these cables for when they're connected to a PC, a charger, or both? I'm struggling to figure this out.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 21, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

In short - USB C specs conformity are a complete shitshow and even reputable brands have a hard time getting their chargers and cables working correctly.

For chargers, stick to Google's charger if you can, it'll give you the fastest charging rate. Otherwise, just use a decent USB A charger with a decent USB C to A cable - bonus if your USB A charger supports Apple's 2.4A @ 5V proprietary standard because the Pixel supports that.

Vasler posted:

My Pixel is great - the only thing that's frustrating is buying loving USB C cables for this thing. I *thought* this cable was appropriate to use (it has the 56k resistor) however some people in the reviews said it didn't meet specs (recent reviews) so I have no idea what to think anymore.

Edit: Looks like one of the only cables that is acceptable is this one. $23 a piece but I guess it won't fry my phone.

Edit2: Is this issue with these cables for when they're connected to a PC, a charger, or both? I'm struggling to figure this out.

This cable is fine and you can get it from all the online Chinese stores cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018HUOQIQ/ref=twister_B018HVFR1K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Ragingsheep posted:

In short - USB C specs conformity are a complete shitshow and even reputable brands have a hard time getting their chargers and cables working correctly.

For chargers, stick to Google's charger if you can, it'll give you the fastest charging rate. Otherwise, just use a decent USB A charger with a decent USB C to A cable - bonus if your USB A charger supports Apple's 2.4A @ 5V proprietary standard because the Pixel supports that.

This cable is fine and you can get it from all the online Chinese stores cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018HUOQIQ/ref=twister_B018HVFR1K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for your help. I've returned the Cable Matters cables and ordered some of the BlitzWolf cables as well as the Belkin ones that bull3964 referred to as good earlier in the thread.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is amazing, it just doesn't stop

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=shm&sid1=105&sid2=227&oid=015&aid=0003730506

quote:

Samsung Electronics will re-release Galaxy Note 7 (photo), a smartphone that has been discontinued due to battery firing. The intention is to minimize losses by transforming the initially returned product into a refurbished product that will be refurbished to the new product level and resold.

According to Samsung, Samsung Electronics will release Galaxy Note 7 with a low-capacity battery as early as June this year. Each division of Samsung Electronics began work to finalize related projects by May.

The main reason for the discontinuity is replacing the low-capacity battery with a slightly smaller capacity than the existing (3500 mAh ). " It will be equipped with a 3000 to 3200 mAh battery," he said. "It reflects the fact that excessive battery capacity has caused ignition."
We plan to replace the case with a new one with the core parts intact. Samsung Electronics is selling the so-called "ripper phone", which is a new type of product that has been repaired since September last year.

Samsung plans to reduce the inventory burden on the Galaxy Note 7 by selling a ripper phone. Samsung Electronics has recovered 98% of the 3.16 million units sold so far. Of these, 200,000 were used for experiments to identify battery fires. Samsung is seeing 2.5 million units left in inventory.

The loss of 7 trillion won, which is estimated by Samsung Electronics, is likely to decline due to sales of refurbished phones. Samsung recovered the Galaxy Note 7 that was shipped from the end of last year and exchanged it for a new product. As a result, we saw a loss of about 3 trillion won. It is believed that the loss of the initial 7 trillion won loss of opportunity combined with the loss of opportunity for the original plan to sell 20 million units.

It is also possible to solve the environmental problems caused by the disposal of the products, and it is highly likely that the Ministry of Environment will avoid the penalties. The Ministry of Environment said, "Samsung Electronics can impose penalties if it does not observe recycling obligations."

Galaxy Note 7 will be sold mainly in emerging markets such as India and Vietnam. A company official said, "In some cases, it may be aggressively selling Galaxy Note 8 in connection with domestic telecommunication companies."

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Yeah I fell for that one about a month and a half ago.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, it's a pretty decent phone, no matter how much of a meme it is to poo poo on it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

It doesn't matter how good the specs are if the phone literally loving catches fire

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If we're disqualifying phones on the potential for batteries going up in flames, then we're disqualifying every phone. A fixed Note 7 is a fine phone. Emphasis on fixed. In case you missed that implication. Fixed.

A non-fixed Note 7 is indeed a potential issue and not under recommendation by anyone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

If we're disqualifying phones on the potential for batteries going up in flames, then we're disqualifying every phone. A fixed Note 7 is a fine phone. Emphasis on fixed. In case you missed that implication. Fixed.

A non-fixed Note 7 is indeed a potential issue and not under recommendation by anyone.

Only there isn't any such thing as a fixed Note 7, so

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/20/14657848/lg-far-east-movement-license-like-a-g6

fools!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PerrineClostermann posted:

What about the fixed Note 7 that still caught fire because it wasn't actually fixed?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

From what I read, the first battery was too big and it didn't have enough protection from being squished. The refurbished phones had another quality issue with the batteries from being rushed out.

If they release a smaller battery that isn't total poo poo, there might be a chance they won't blow up. This isn't going to stop people from looking at the brand with a jaundiced eye, however.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Note series is not salvageable, it's dead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Note 7 is not a Pixel, an iPhone or a budget phone, so there's really no reason to buy it regardless of whether it will murder you or not.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I'm so confused, is that a car, jet, tv, or phone?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Healbot posted:

The Note series is not salvageable, it's dead.

Nah. The name is too generic to die. One or two good hype cycles, and all people will do is roll eyes at dads telling dad jokes about the phone that used to explode.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Yeah but if they fixed it then it's fixed and not killing people

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Soul Glo posted:

Step 1 when buying a Verizon branded Android device is disabling the Verizon bloat. NFL Mobile, go90, VZ Support & Protection, VZ Navigator, DT Ignite, VZ Caller Name ID, VZ Cloud, Message+, Slacker Radio...

Step 0 when buying a Verizon branded Android device is to buy a Pixel or an iPhone.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Step 1 when buying a Verizon branded Android device is disabling the Verizon bloat. NFL Mobile, go90, VZ Support & Protection, VZ Navigator, DT Ignite, VZ Caller Name ID, VZ Cloud, Message+, Slacker Radio...

Step 0 when buying a Verizon branded Android device is to buy a Pixel or an iPhone.

I was tired of iPhones so I just changed to Android for a change of pace when I jumper carriers last year. Proooobably going back to an iPhone when I'm up for upgrade in May.

This has been fine, but eh. I stayed in their ecosystem for everything else, might as well go back to 'em for phones.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I can understand them wanting to salvage what is a ton of "good" hardware plagued by terribly rushed and not QA'ed batteries. That is a lot of hardware that would be harder to recycle then to just refurbish and sale at a discount. And considering the holdouts, the Note has a cult following for sure. And if this delay has done anything positive for the Note, it should be them having enough time to update the software immensely to improve the performance that everyone saw was terrible vs almost any other phone out at the time. But yea, I doubt it will have anything newer than 7.0 at its re-relaunch.

Now they have to QA the everloving hell out of them though, because if even 1 of them catches fire, then the Note as a brand is going to truly go up in Flames.. As well as any future Samsung mobile device's credibility.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 21, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EdEddnEddy posted:

Now they have to QA the everloving hell out of them though, because if even 1 of them catches fire, then the Note as a brand is going to truly go up in Flames.. As well as any future Samsung mobile device's credibility.

I mean...maybe with the majority of Android thread posters, but I think that in general people have a hard time applying lessons from history. (see Trump)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am just saying what they should do on a common sense ground.

On the other hand, I would love to see Samsung devices loose their prominence since I have never liked them even back to the flip phone days so it's no loss to me or anyone in my family anymore thankfully due to the Pixel being amazing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

Only there isn't any such thing as a fixed Note 7, so

You have my upvote good sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Smeed posted:

I used to be like all you people with your customizations and rootin' tootin' and fancy launchers but it's so much easier to just leave things the way they are and have them work.

I feel like maybe I'm just old and lazy or actually an iPhone user in denial sometimes. Has anyone else given up on screwing with their phone. (Although mobile ads are obnoxious as poo poo lately I'd love to have AdBlock)

Just switched to an iPhone and it's got all the customization I had on my Nexus but without actually customizing it. Haven't tried a Pixel, but the phone is faster than any Android I've ever used and iMessage is a million times better than any Android messaging app.

What's happened to me?