Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You can still Discord human bosses. Check my Tadakatsu and Naomasa videos in my post history - or, hell, that Saika one I just posted. It just takes me three or four elemental shots rather than two. One important thing to remember, though, is that they will be all but immune to the element of their own Guardian Spirit, so you need to either have foreknowledge or bring along a diverse array of elements - say, one for your weapon, one for your GS, and two types of elemental shot. Elemental shots, for the record, are excellent for building up debuffs - a single hit will fill a large amount of the gauge, making them fast and safe ways to generate Discord (and build up your Amrita Gauge if you use the Extraction and Pleiades Talismans). I only have 30 Magic and 30 Spirit, and I'm still reliably Discording past the Gasha-dokuro level thanks to solid gear and my boy Hi-Nezumi.

Also, Revenants are incredibly easy to debuff, so tag 'em with a Sloth talisman and fire a few shots their way to ruin their days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ninja funhouse jamboree is my favorite level so far. William's expression after the boss of "man, what even the hell was all this" was perfect .

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe I should just hang things up, I think this game is actually ruining my life in a way that games haven't in a while. I've already lost a whole morning to this when I should have been doing work, and I know it's totally messed up my sleep schedule for the past two weeks. And I have been experiencing physically debilitating symptoms that I thought were from generalized stress, but I think I know where that stress may be coming from

Take a break. You don't have to drop it permanently, but let it sit for a while. There have been Dark Souls and Bloodborne bosses that made me feel this way and I stepped away for a few days, came back, and everything was fine.

For what it's worth, you don't have to do the Two Kings fight yet. The epilogue (if you haven't done it yet) is a ton easier and unlocks NG+ mode, which is also kinda easier. You can switch back and forth between Way of the Strong (NG+) and Way of the Samurai (NG) difficulty at will, too. Coming back with a full set of divine gear will make things a lot more manageable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Killed those assholes. 142 deaths. It gave me no pleasure, only ended the gnawing stress and discomfort that has plagued me for the past two hours and has me completely wrecked and probably unable to do anything productive for the rest of the day. I have completely forgotten why I enjoyed this game. I think I am going to crack my teeth from having them clenched so long. I have a pulsing headache. I may be bleeding internally

Edit: Ok maybe it gave me a little pleasure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

For Ki regen wearing medium armor with B agility would have the same regen if you were in Heavy armor with B agility, right?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 20, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, I admire your resilience. The last boss that got me that pissed off was the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3 and he only killed me like 30 times I think? But I had a pounding headache and had been clenching my jaw for way too long and I think my girlfriend, who was busy knitting and watching TV, thought I was a complete nutjob/total moron (also she was probably right). When I won I didn't even care, I just turned the game off and went to bed.

I don't think I'd have the patience to die to a boss 142 times. I think I'd snap the game in half. I have it downloaded on my PS4, so that would involve snapping my PS4 in half.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

For Ki regen wearing medium armor with B agility would have the same regen if you were in Heavy armor with B agility, right?

Yes. All that matters is Agility.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

For set bonuses that increase damage of certain skills, does that increase the ki damage they do as well? I'm thinking of the moon shadow skill in dual swords and the respective set bonus. I would assume yes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

Man, I admire your resilience. The last boss that got me that pissed off was the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3 and he only killed me like 30 times I think? But I had a pounding headache and had been clenching my jaw for way too long and I think my girlfriend, who was busy knitting and watching TV, thought I was a complete nutjob/total moron (also she was probably right). When I won I didn't even care, I just turned the game off and went to bed.

I don't think I'd have the patience to die to a boss 142 times. I think I'd snap the game in half. I have it downloaded on my PS4, so that would involve snapping my PS4 in half.

Thanks, it makes me feel a bit better that I am not the only one who has this kind of reaction to these games sometimes!

I took a look at the other fight that opened up post-credits (I already did the epilogue-thing in London) and saw what it was, for my sanity I just went "Nope" and peaced out of there. Maybe tomorrow.

My actual level is way under these mission levels, by about 50 or so, am I severely underleveled or do they not really correspond to anything

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

For set bonuses that increase damage of certain skills, does that increase the ki damage they do as well? I'm thinking of the moon shadow skill in dual swords and the respective set bonus. I would assume yes

I don't think so because ki damage modifier has its own separate attribute. I could be wrong though!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks, it makes me feel a bit better that I am not the only one who has this kind of reaction to these games sometimes!

I took a look at the other fight that opened up post-credits (I already did the epilogue-thing in London) and saw what it was, for my sanity I just went "Nope" and peaced out of there. Maybe tomorrow.

My actual level is way under these mission levels, by about 50 or so, am I severely underleveled or do they not really correspond to anything

Yeah, I actually haven't done the other post-credits fight yet. I can probably handle it easily by now, at level 150, but that particular combination of enemies fills me with terror. Maybe I'll do it tonight and get it over with.

If you're referring to the Way of the Strong level recommendations, yeah, you're going to be "underleveled" from here onward. I think Belzac said he was doing level 300 missions at level 180 by the end of NG+. The mission levels don't mean that much, especially once you're in NG+ and over level 100, where your equipment is going to have a much bigger effect on how strong you are than your level will.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

You can still Discord human bosses. Check my Tadakatsu and Naomasa videos in my post history - or, hell, that Saika one I just posted. It just takes me three or four elemental shots rather than two. One important thing to remember, though, is that they will be all but immune to the element of their own Guardian Spirit, so you need to either have foreknowledge or bring along a diverse array of elements - say, one for your weapon, one for your GS, and two types of elemental shot. Elemental shots, for the record, are excellent for building up debuffs - a single hit will fill a large amount of the gauge, making them fast and safe ways to generate Discord (and build up your Amrita Gauge if you use the Extraction and Pleiades Talismans). I only have 30 Magic and 30 Spirit, and I'm still reliably Discording past the Gasha-dokuro level thanks to solid gear and my boy Hi-Nezumi.

Also, Revenants are incredibly easy to debuff, so tag 'em with a Sloth talisman and fire a few shots their way to ruin their days.

yeah, if I used shots more I could probably discord human bosses more reliably. Most of the time I try though, the first element wears off right as I get the second on and I get stuck in a cycle of trying to get a second element back on fast enough which just ends up being less efficient than just fighting them.

Revenants die in 1-2 parries. Not wasting sloth on them. Sloth is for things that can oneshot me. Which, in NG+ seems to be pretty much any yokai if they catch me when I'm not blocking. Which isn't a big deal, I'm pretty good at blocking and dodging now. I use quickchange, which isn't as overpowered as it sounds. Lots of times it just causes to me spawn directly into a move that kills me for good.

It's still stupid good though.

I'm trying to focus on ki pulsing again, because magic is so good I was able to get really sloppy with it and still demolish stuff.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've been doing ng+ missions 200 levels below what they're rated at, it doesn't mean anything

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

I've been doing ng+ missions 200 levels below what they're rated at, it doesn't mean anything

It means you're samuraiing like a fuckin boss.

That's what it means.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

is stance-dancing a valid technique I should learn to use? I see there are some skills that correspond to switching during a combo, but it feels sort of clunky? Maybe i'm bad

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I died like 30 times to the kusarigama mystic art trainer last night so that is definitely not the case

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

TheHoosier posted:

is stance-dancing a valid technique I should learn to use? I see there are some skills that correspond to switching during a combo, but it feels sort of clunky? Maybe i'm bad

It's a helpful technique but it isn't necessary. Once you're used to the combat and your attack durations it isn't as intimidating as it might seem at first.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Grinding out money with Ginchiyo is going to loving suck but I want that trophy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheHoosier posted:

Its the super pro way to have like infinite ki and combo forever, yeah. Takes a little getting used to and its not always tactically what you want anyways, but its worth practicing.

Plus stuff like, if you have time to stance dance to low, then you get some bonus ki, and then you're in low stance so your dodge takes you a little further. Then you can jump back in and hit them and dance back to high for damage or whatever.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

TheHoosier posted:

If you get in the practice of stance swap ki pulsing after kills, it gets a lot easier to do when you actually need to. Swapping into low and dodging is really simple if you remember to do it.

If you regularly abuse discord it's real easy to stance swap correctly as long as you don't panic

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 20, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TheHoosier posted:

Stance dancing, or just switching at the end of a combo, is the only way to net gain ki without waiting for it to recharge. Like. if you just regular ki pulse, you at best, in a perfect scenario, continue to restore all the ki you used in the combo. But in practice, you end up losing bits by making mistakes and having to dodge or block. So you still eventually run out of ki. But if you switch stances when you ki pulse, flux gives you more kit that you started with. So "stance dancing" is what allows for infinite combos without running out of ki.

Now, I'm a sloppy player, so I can't run infinite combos. But I can combo for like 3 times as long as I could without stance switching.

My learning ki pulsing went something like this:

Learn to stand still and hit r1 in between combos/moves. This isn't great, but it's much better than not ki pulsing at all.

Learn to ki pulse by dodging. This sounds like it should be easier, but I'm still not any good at it. because it requires waiting to dodge, and the part of my brain that plans when to dodge is pretty compartmentalized from the part the manages ki pulsing. Still working on it.

Learn to stance switch on a ki pulse. I'm way better at this, because I practiced vanilla r1 ki pulsing first.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tips for the Miniboss submission on the bridge? I do ok but just eventually get hit and die because of how long it takes to chip away...

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It'll come to you. I started by just fluxing to high and strong attacking after a combo to add damage. Now I can do it just about whenever I have a window because I got enough practice with the timing. It's like learning to man-mode a Souls game.

Edit: RE stance dancing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Feenix posted:

Tips for the Miniboss submission on the bridge? I do ok but just eventually get hit and die because of how long it takes to chip away...

If there is a hole in the bridge or an opening in the railing you can try to push him off!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If there is a hole in the bridge or an opening in the railing you can try to push him off!

That's what I did, but as Belzac points out, then you don't get any of his loot, and that means it's almost pointless.

But I'm not sure I have any desire to go redo that fight "right" either.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bridge guy only has poise after he buffs so just beat on him until he does and then back off until his buff ends, maybe get in for pokes here and there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Even without buffs, the bridge guy is tough. I wail on him, 2 hits every few seconds, for about 5 min, and his health bar is still at 90%. And that's WITH a flame-buffed spear.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

If you are using the kusarigama and not using the high stance hold triangle pull, then triangle throw against any and all humanoid enemies, I am laughing at you. The triangle pull knocks enemies over, has a huge range, and apparently breaks the AI half the time. I killed the mystic art trainer first time without getting hit by just spamming that combo :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

William made it in to Tecmo Koei's crossover Warriors game.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Parry the hell out of Bridge Dude. He does not handle it well.
(I assume we're talking about Benkei, here)

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Any tips on the 2nd Honda fight, Champions of the East? His healing tick is ridiculous.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Confirming Youngblood is the "canon" armor set

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
So what weapons are people using for a ninja build? I'm going to start one, kusarigama seems like a given because of dex scaling, but spear, katana or dual katanas?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Any tips on the 2nd Honda fight, Champions of the East? His healing tick is ridiculous.

EDIT: nevermind, just got up in his face.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I never really used a second weapon, since in most cases there was a kusari stance that can handle what you need it to do.

The ninja gear set's second weapon is a single katana, though

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Goddamn, Tengu are fuckin nasty. It took me like 15 tries to beat the miniboss rush on the sidequest at Umi-Bozu's level. Ended up just saying gently caress it and buying/attuning onmyo to enchant my weapons with earth and fire.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

HotBobaloo posted:

So what weapons are people using for a ninja build? I'm going to start one, kusarigama seems like a given because of dex scaling, but spear, katana or dual katanas?

I'm doing dual katanas myself since the armor I want to use for that playthrough has skill requirements, but most stats complement each other well in Nioh. Body and Heart are never not useful, for example. I'm honestly struggling to think of which stats I'll dump from my first katana/spear playthrough. Strength and spirit, I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HotBobaloo posted:

I'd say either katana or dual katana would make the best complement to kusarigama. Kusarigama already gives you the range spears would.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
At least with a spear, Parry timing (Twirl) feels like it requires precognition.

[edit] Wow.. this far into the game, and I am just learning myself to Parry. And it's taking a while, but it feels GOOD MAN!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 20, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hey they finally added a character I care about besides Nobunyaga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

At least with a spear, Parry timing (Twirl) feels like it requires precognition.

I'm really bad at the spear parry, but both the sword and dual sword parries aren't too bad to pull off. With the sword, you basically want the enemy's weapon to hit you right as you "flip" your sword over. It does require it to basically become muscle memory, though. The timing is pretty tight no matter what.