Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

This is one of those things I would absolutely buy if I saw it somewhere for ten bucks.

Same.

Found some stuff in the cheap stacks this week. Made up for some garbage records that I bought earlier.

Kinda bizarre funk from WAR's harmonica player.

I listened to this in the store and thought I could deal with the scratches but got it home and it sounds really lovely. Oh well. Cool cover at least.

Side two of this record is unplayable but the first side has the best stuff anyway. Can't beat it for two bux.

Been looking for this for a bit. Suprisingly the most expensive record of the bunch. I remember seeing this in the dollar bins back in the day.

Another $2 record. Vinyl was pristine.

Mellow piano stuff. Nice change from what I usually listen too.

I have another Bohanon record that is more disco. So I was surprised at how good this first record was. This was probably my best score this week for 5 bucks.

Reggae is not my thing but I thought it was cool they made a hacky sack colored vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Picked up Lost Themes to complete that collection today. Here's the download code for that.

Edit: I just picked up Bob Marley Legend for like $11 on Amazon. How much was it for the color vinyl? It looks sick. Aww shucks, Amazon had it for $16 but it's out of stock.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 20, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Radio Spiricom posted:

didnt get down to the store last month so heres two months worth

equiknoxx, demdike stare, shinichi atobe
elmo crumb (call super), anthony naples, slack djs (dk & low jack)

laurel halo, call super, anthony naples/hank jackson
takuya matsumoto, ital & aurora halal, rrose

beatrice dillon, karen gwyer, leif
anthony naples, joy o & boddika, giegling label comp

Good.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
agreed, lots of good pickups there. im into the new demdike.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Skeezy posted:

Picked up Lost Themes to complete that collection today. Here's the download code for that.

Edit: I just picked up Bob Marley Legend for like $11 on Amazon. How much was it for the color vinyl? It looks sick. Aww shucks, Amazon had it for $16 but it's out of stock.

I think I snagged it for 16. You can probably try to order it and if they get it in stock they will send it to you at that price. I've been waiting on a $10 Sharon Jones record. If it comes, score. If not they just cancel it.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 21, 2017

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Good poo poo.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I really want Smash Mouth on vinyl. Not really. Did he ever eat the eggs?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Pre-order for Lil Ugly Mane's fifth anniversary Mista Thug Isolation re-release went up over at Cargo Records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DivvcAD1-60

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

sporklift posted:

I listened to this in the store and thought I could deal with the scratches but got it home and it sounds really lovely. Oh well. Cool cover at least.

Even if with pristine vinyl, this will never sound good. The stereo mix of this album is horrid. Like, basically, some of the songs sound like the entire song is in the right speaker, with just high end and low end but nothing in the mid (it sounds really bizarre), and then vocal overdubs will be in the left speaker with really good fidelity.

As far as I know, the CD issues are all stereo. Which is bizarre. The mono version actually sounds so much better. It actually sounds like it was recorded by people who knew how to make a record sound like it wasn't playing out of a bad radio in one side of the room while the backing singers sang.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Even if with pristine vinyl, this will never sound good. The stereo mix of this album is horrid. Like, basically, some of the songs sound like the entire song is in the right speaker, with just high end and low end but nothing in the mid (it sounds really bizarre), and then vocal overdubs will be in the left speaker with really good fidelity.

As far as I know, the CD issues are all stereo. Which is bizarre. The mono version actually sounds so much better. It actually sounds like it was recorded by people who knew how to make a record sound like it wasn't playing out of a bad radio in one side of the room while the backing singers sang.

Yeah. For a record that came out in 1966 on a major label there is no excuse for how crappy it sounds. I actually thought it was a much older recording.

In other news the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack is under $13 on amazon right now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Smeed posted:

I really want Smash Mouth on vinyl. Not really. Did he ever eat the eggs?

He ate like half an egg and then was like "YEAH I TOTALLY DID IT!". So no.

sporklift posted:

Yeah. For a record that came out in 1966 on a major label there is no excuse for how crappy it sounds. I actually thought it was a much older recording.

In other news the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack is under $13 on amazon right now.

A lot of early stereo mixes were hilariously terrible.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

sporklift posted:

Grabbed one, thanks!

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

That is very cool

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm kind of amazed they're all on vinyl

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This is probably a vinyl 'deal' to me and me alone, but this eBay seller has the first and second album of The Drones for extremely reasonable prices. Here Come The Lies and Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of Your Enemies Will Float By. Hardly any store stocks them and buying it from the official site tacks on a 40 USD shipping charge, whereas the eBay seller offers free shipping. I highly recommend both of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mQo7Ixiv-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwRkcAjojoU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got this awesome thing in the mail today.

It's not in the best condition and the book is tearing off but all the pages are in there and the record plays fine. It's totally a novelty but it's really really cool.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Skeezy posted:

It's not in the best condition and the book is tearing off but all the pages are in there and the record plays fine. It's totally a novelty but it's really really cool.

That rules. I had that album and Thrilling, Chilling Sounds of the Haunted House album when I was a kid, but they have been lost to time.

e: Phish started sampling/covering the Thrilling, Chilling Sounds album a few years back and that blows my mind.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Barry posted:

I'm kind of amazed they're all on vinyl

I was too, at first, but apparently they're the UK version that's been around since the 80's. That 35 is from '96.

The Vinyl Thread: NOW That's What I Call Wikipedia Facts!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

sporklift posted:

Keep in mind that stereo was an afterthought at the time to sell to people who would go crazy for stereo records. The other problem too is that when you start pushing things hard left or right like that, you have to think about how things will sound since it's harder for the needle to track. Part of the mixing issues too depended on how the album was mixed. So for example, it wasn't uncommon to bounce down to another tape. So, it's possible that they recorded the basic tracks on one tape, bounce that down to mono on another tape, and then add overdubs. Which explains why you have the bizarre mixing decisions that they made. That's also why Hendrix's first album, Are You Experienced, has such bizarre stereo mixes, where everything is mono except for one or two things on some tracks. At least that album sounds full in stereo.

I mean, this is how Pickett sounds in mono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4R2hozscM

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skeezy posted:

I love this kind of poo poo. I just got a record recently that's nothing but sounds from various things like cars, planes, gun shots, wind, etc.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
El Huervo stuff:

Rust, Turf and Daisuke 7-inchers.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

(street date March 24th)

Psychofon Records posted:

The “Die-Hard Lenticular Set” includes the following: 2x one-sided clear/red split vinyl with clear front-and-back cover foil sheets, held in a folded double 12″ clear pic disc cover. The vinyl feature lenticular “Flip Flop” labels on both B-sides of the records. And that is not all…The lenticular set comes with the special Ghost of Hope Bonus Package, which includes a very large 25x25cm (10″) 3D-animated lenticular stickerplate with the cover art from the Ghost of Hope…PLUS a one sided Glow-in-the-Dark 7″ vinyl with ‘Train vs Elephant’ as a Bonus Track. The Die-Hard package will be priced at €99,99 and is strictly limited to 100 numbered copies.

The Collector’s Edition is a 3 color splatter vinyl with red black and grey over white, held in a red innersleeve and hand-numbered. The Collector’s Edition also comes with a 6 postcard set! Limited to 200 copies and priced at €34,99.

Our standard black vinyl edition will be distributed by MVD and Cherry Red for those who just want The Ghost of Hope on vinyl. Much more info and a full breakdown on the music coming soon, so stay tuned!

Train Vs. Elephant is integrated into the CD edition and appears on the Rushing Like a Banshee single (Whether it's a different version or not, we don't know yet), splitting it into 3 single-sided discs instead of one two LP set seems silly to me, but that's Psychofon's deal.

The Residents will also be premiering the album at the Exploratorium in San Francisco on March 30th where they will be in attendance adding "live texture" to the album as it plays.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skeezy posted:

As someone who loves The Haunted Mansion and that damned repetitive Grim Grinning Ghosts song, I approve of this purchase.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bob's burgers box set :getin:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

realbez posted:

gently caress yes finally

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

realbez posted:

Is it just score stuff or is it all the silly rear end songs from the episodes?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

realbez posted:

Link or it didn't happen.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Is it just score stuff or is it all the silly rear end songs from the episodes?

It's all of them baby

https://megamart.subpop.com/releases/bobs_burgers/the_bobs_burgers_music_album

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wow, it's not even disgustingly overpriced like I assumed it would be. I need this.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
No Idea Records has another grab bag offer. This one is five albums for $35. They're getting my money again.

https://store.noidearecords.com/products/side-one-dummy-friends-lp-grab-bag-five-lps-for-35-00

I wish someone would do this with heavy metal.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The Haunted Mansion and El Huervo records are both very cool.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked up these at Goodwill today:

I've listened to that Tom Lehrer record a lot over the years and I had no idea it was a 10". I'm glad I finally found a copy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Got my Sleep-Clarity green blob 12" from southern lord. It's great except the nice printed clear jacket has a big split down the seam, I wish everyone would just ship outside the jacket, this shits not cheap. :smith:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Got my Sleep-Clarity green blob 12" from southern lord. It's great except the nice printed clear jacket has a big split down the seam, I wish everyone would just ship outside the jacket, this shits not cheap. :smith:

How much did that cost you? I was at a local record store recently and they had the 12" but it basically cost as much as a full album ($19, I think?) so I didn't bother. (Instead, I got the recent repressing of the Melvins' "Houdini" which was a very good decision.)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Allen Wren posted:

How much did that cost you? I was at a local record store recently and they had the 12" but it basically cost as much as a full album ($19, I think?) so I didn't bother. (Instead, I got the recent repressing of the Melvins' "Houdini" which was a very good decision.)

It cost something like that with shipping, I forget. Yeah it's a little pricy but I like the green blob vinyl and I like throwing some money their way.

Also picked up that bobs burgers set against my better judgement :)

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Never find anything good usually at thrift stores but I took a chance on a bunch of private press reggae

Also two weird al records to flip to pay for the rest

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
as moderator of WeirdAlForums.com, i do not approve of that flip plan

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That carpet looks really uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's not a carpet, those are laid out on a really huge sport coat.