Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Just watch ffxiii, where everyone is miserable

In fact, just load up pork lift and wateyad's version and randomly pick whose videos to watch, to get maximum suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
Now see, I've got the crazy opinion that XIII-2 is a good game. Even I couldn't tell you why, but it's the only one of the trilogy I enjoyed and have fond memories of.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mundetiam posted:

Now see, I've got the crazy opinion that XIII-2 is a good game. Even I couldn't tell you why, but it's the only one of the trilogy I enjoyed and have fond memories of.

Well yeah, you can easily beat monsters in that game.

The shift in Pokecapn's LP of a Gankless party to a Gank-supporting party is a testament to how much more fun can be had.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Waiiit
If tiki is nanako

Then Bantu-
BANTU NO PUT THE BOOZE DOWN

<Medeus> Who wants to talk about ~murders~? spoiler alert they're yours

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Artix posted:

Have we mentioned that Tsubasa really likes Kiria yet? Maybe we'd better say it a few more times. Something something repetition, hammering a point...

Even in other LPs you can not escape it eh....

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Now that we have some marching orders, we have access to the world map. Shibuya is the main hub of the game and where we need to go for the plot, but before we go there, we're gonna take a quick detour back to Daitama.

If we were so inclined, we could go back to the first dungeon, but that's not why we're here.

Instead, we have our first request. There are two types of sidequests in the game, and these are by far the more common of the two. They usually just require you to go talk to someone or collect five of some enemy drop, and accordingly the rewards are usually lackluster.

Hey! Are you interested in fortune-telling? I got something you can help me with. Is that all right?

Accepted Request: Lucky Spot 1

See, I'm the president of the Fortune Telling Club, and I want to practice my gift, if you know what I mean! And that's where YOU can help out! All you gotta do is let me look into your future and then you report back after!

Hm... Huh... Eh...? EUREKA!

"Approach with modesty, and outcomes shall be favorable. Approach with haste, and nothing shall go as planned." ...Or if I guess if you want the "quick fix," as it were, then you should go forth! Onward, to Daitama's round elevator!

Well, that's awfully specific and not at all what you said. But this is a simple one so let's go ahead and knock it out.

Sure enough, if we head down the first elevator in Illusory Daitama, there's a shiny on the ground.

*Got a Treasure Key*

Really!? Huzzah, it worked! You know, Itsuki, this means now you HAVE to acknowledge my gift! Call me Kanae the Soothteller!

Whew! All right, see you in class!

And for our troubles we get a minor recovery item. Hooray?

Anyway, speaking of class, one of the nifty things about the game is that the characters carry on with their daily lives in between chapters. You can check their Topic page on the gamepad to see what they've been up to since yesterday, so let's have a quick look:

quote:

Touma

today, an extra...
tomorrow, a hero!!!
I AM... TOUMA AKAGI!

AAAAARRRGGGGGH!
What's up?
what are you acting all calm for!? you know we have a test tomorrow! holy crap i am not sleeping tonight
Why don't you study then?
what, you feel like you're ready for it?
Eh. So-so, I'd say.
woooooow, this crap again? yeah, i can tell you've been studying your rear end off!
No, seriously. I haven't really had a lot of time for that.
there's no time to waste! gotta use these final moments to cram as much as i can!
HRRAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Best of luck to you.

quote:

Tsubasa

Hope I get this...!
#tryingsomethingnew
#notadiet

Itsuki! how's studying going? you ready for the next test?
Eh, it's going okay... How about you, Tsubasa?
we only have tests in two subjects tomorrow, so I just finished reviewing. now I"m going to sleep early! ^_^
There's three subjects tomorrow. English, Literature, and Math.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Tsubasa?
I FORGOT MATH!!! D8
actually, I probably blocked it out of my mind because I didn't want to think about it...

Good luck.

I bet Itsuki is that fucker who never studies for anything and aces all the tests anyway. You know the type.

It was me, I was that fucker

Anyway, let's get a move on over to Shibuya.

Music: Shibuya

Shibuya is pretty big! But for as big as it is, there's really only a handful of places we really care about.

...But before we can do any exploring, let's see what Tsubasa wants.

quote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
What's wrong?
what's wrong!? our first lesson is about to start! x_x
I see Tsubasa's nice and nervous!
The studio I"ve having you two visit today is called the Uzume Lesson Studio.
It should be right across the street from the train station. It has a really flashy sign - you can't miss it.
Looks like you still have some time. Why don't you check out Shibuya while you're looking for the studio?
Tsubasa, this is going to be your first step into the entertainment world.
There will be good times and there will be bad times, but just remember: it's all to help you become a star. See you!

Well that's encouraging. I'm sure this lesson will go swimmingly.

As usual though, let's poke around a bit first. The cafe is functionally identical to a vending machine, but it costs a bit more and you tend to get better luck boosts out of it. Really, it's mostly there to be a hub for sidequests later.

Continuing around counter-clockwise, we have the Hee-Ho Mart. This is where we stock up on items.

Hi Anna! Not even a change of genre can stop you from being the merchant, I see.

You earn Melmarks based on how much money you spend, which is basically a lottery entry. You can turn them in to a couple places for a chance at prizes, including consumables, concept art, and eventually even stat-ups.

Like so. :toot: As you might expect, this is heavily influenced by your luck stat, so if you can jack up Itsuki's luck before coming in, you can clean house.

Across the street, we have Carabia Jewelry. This is our one-stop shop for new accessories.

Music: Carabia Jewelry

Like the Hee-Ho Mart, the clerk is another cameo. This time it's Aimee, the merchant from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

So as I mentioned way back in the third or fourth update, accessories actually pull double duty as both armor and a stat boost. Right now, the Power Bangle and Mage Ring are both pretty useless as stat boosts (they're worth 1 Str and Mag respectively), but they're still worth it because they more than double our armor. Unfortunately, they're also very expensive, and right now we can only afford one piece of equipment. We'll be upgrading everyone else as soon as we have the funds, but for now we'll settle for buying a Power Bangle for Itsuki.

With our shopping out of the way, let's see what awaits us inside the lesson studio.

:siren: Barry Goodman :siren:
You should really, really watch this one.

U-Umm... Are you... our training instructor?

SHUT UP! I'm still doing my signature pose!

S-Signature pose...?

Here it comes...!

I'm... Tsubasa Oribe... sir. It'll be a pleasure to work with you.

Okay, Tsubasa! Got it! You can call me Barry.

Okay, Barr- Wait, Barry Goodman...?

Someone you know?

Maybe. I remember a Barry Goodman was one of the guitarists at Kiria's live concert a few years back. Apparently he was a guitarist for a famous American rock band, and his solo albums sold millions. But... that Barry Goodman was a lot more athletic-looking than him... so it's probably a different person...

What!? How much weight exactly did you put on!?

Tsubasa!

O-Oh! I-I'm- I'm so sorry!

Don't worry about it. The little lady's got a point! Barry Goodman's just a Merry Fatman now.

Yeah, that's all in the past now...

So this is actually a real thing. Barry is based off of Marty Friedman, a former guitarist from Megadeth who moved to Japan in 2003. Since then he's launched a record label under Avex Group, appeared on Japanese TV (including as a regular member of the TXN musical program Hebimeta-san, literally "Mr. Heavy-Metal"), and has done concert tours for the Bravely Default original soundtrack. Here he is doing a metal cover of the theme for a slice of life anime.

I'm Itsuki Aoi. Nice to meet you.

Maiko told me to give lessons to some rookies. And anyone who enters this studio starts out a rookie!

I'll try my best!

Good answer. I'm pretty in the zone today! All right, we'll train three times faster and tougher than normal!

Three times normal...? Do we really have to?

And they've only got a couple limited editions that come with a special bonus! Gah, I gotta get there on time!

O...kay?

What, you got something to say!? I'm not allowed to be a fanboy? HUH!?

I-I didn't say anything!

If I can't buy the limited edition, my life is OVER! So I need you guys to cooperate and finish this quick!

I-I got it! Triple speed's fine by me!

Maiko asked me to give you the full boot-camp experience. Honestly though, I'd say triple speed still isn't enough.

All right... You better prepare yourselves, rookies!

Barry's lesson begins...

I can't feel an ounce of your soul in your singing! If you're gonna howl and wail, get in the alley with the dogs!

Listen, Tsubasa. My training can help your voice. But, you think you're gonna move anyone singin' like that?

No...

'Cause that's what I'm hearin'! Keep singin' like that, and there'll be no point puttin' you on a stage! You're an entertainer now, Tsubasa - a professional! People are gonna pay big money to see you perform!

You need to understand what it means to be a professional. If you can't do that, quit now and get outta showbiz!

I can't do that! I need to find my sister! I have to-

All you're doin' right now is singing for yourself! I can't feel any message you're tryin' to put into it!

For myself? Then how do I... put a message within my song...?

I can't just GIVE you the answer! You gotta figure that out! You gotta feel it within you!

And you! Itsuki! Don't just brush this off as Tsubasa's problem. I'm talkin' to you too.

Y-Yes, sir!

Awright! One more try!

O-Okay!

Tsubasa gives it one more shot and...

If you want me to teach you anythin' else, you better go study up on your "Dia Witch Iroha"!

...And then Barry storms off. Good lesson, everyone.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes too. You just ended up taking most of his criticism.

*sigh* I guess it's tough being an idol, huh? All this has got me thinking...

About Ayaha?

Yeah... I didn't expect you to guess that so easily.

Just had a feeling.

It's just hitting me hard, realizing what a tough world my sister was living in...

All the training and work as an idol may have been really difficult, but she never even showed a hint of that. She was always so kind whenever she was back home, and she was so cool and brilliant whenever she was on TV... *sigh* I'm probably just not cut out to be an idol like her.

We haven't even watched that anime Barry told us to study.

Pfft...

...Did I say something funny?

I just... imagined watching one of those magical girl shows with you. Kind of a weird mental image... But thanks for trying to cheer me up. I guess you really never change, huh?

I'll give it some more thought on my own. I'll see you later!

Oh...

And then Tsubasa ditches us too. Naturally, this is when Kiria walks in.

H-Hello. Uh, um...

Yes?

Well, uh... thank you for rescuing us at Daitama.

Don't worry about it... But I just walked past your friend. She okay? She looked pretty depressed about something.

We just had a lesson with Barry... and we just ended up making him mad.

Hmm. Well, getting mad is basically Barry's job.

So. You got to stand there and listen to her sing, right? What did you think?

I was just trying to keep up... I couldn't listen much. But I don't see why he had to criticize her so hard...

Huh. So I see...

I don't know if I'd go that far, myself... but I guess so.

Really.

A singer has to use their song as their words.

Huh?

As a singer, she's still a newborn baby. Hasn't learned how to use her words, you know? But... a baby still has emotions. That's why they cry, right? Still have to express their feelings somehow.

I... guess so.

So she should have sung as though she was crying. Barry would never miss that message.

So... you're saying I should get Tsubasa to cry... before training starts...?

Kiria silently hands you something...

Here, take these.

Are you asking me out?

She is so disappointed in Itsuki, and she's only known him for a day. This relationship is gonna go places. :allears:

Tickets. To my live concert.

Concert?

You should come watch it with her. It's up to her what she takes away from it... but I'm sure that she'll-

Hm?

...Well, never mind. Yashiro Tsurugi's my costar. He’s a top-class artist. I’m sure his performing skills can inspire you to be a better Master.

Well, I have to get to practice. See you.

Well this'll make someone happy, at least. Let's give her a buzz real quick.

quote:

sorry I left without you today

I was feeling a little down earler... but I still plan on trying my best.
I've got a surprise for you.
a surprise?
I actually got tickets direct from Kiria for her concert.
ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW
Super serious. Do you want to go watch it with me? It's this joint concert thing called the "Siv Live" or something.
SIV-LIVE? THE ONE AT THE 106!?
Yeah, that's the one.
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS

wait, so if I hadn't gone home, I would've been able to get the ticket directly from Kiria!? herself!?
AAAH I'M SO STUPID! I shouldn't have gone home!
At least you get to go to the concert, right?
but I feel like I totally missed out! >:c
I'm glad you're back to normal. I'll give you your ticket on the day of the concert in front of the lesson studio.
thank yoouuu! ;w;

There's our Tsubasa. Next time, it's the first performance of the game. See you then!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Kiria is really bland

Barry, in contrast, is the best character in this game

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

GeneX posted:

Barry, in contrast, is the best character in this game
I'm not that far ahead of the LP but from what little I've seen all I've got for you is :crossarms:

Like, Tsubasa has her own whatever going on, but teaching is a two-way street. Barry should have cancelled or rescheduled if going to his anime bullshit mattered so much to him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ImperialGuard posted:

I'm not that far ahead of the LP but from what little I've seen all I've got for you is :crossarms:

Like, Tsubasa has her own whatever going on, but teaching is a two-way street. Barry should have cancelled or rescheduled if going to his anime bullshit mattered so much to him.

I'm sorry that you don't enjoy ridiculous, over the top characters in this heartfelt drama set in the cutthroat world of japanese idol managerial plots

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gratuitous English in anime games is always a plus.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

GeneX posted:

I'm sorry that you don't enjoy ridiculous, over the top characters in this heartfelt drama set in the cutthroat world of japanese idol managerial plots
I guess him being a lovely teacher breaks versimilitude for me or something, I guess.

Like I said though, maybe he turns things around, I've just yet to get there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I look forward to Barry coming to save the day with an epic guitar riff. Probably with Gregor in tow to complete the "older mentor figure from a foreign land" shtick.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tsubasa's messaging style reminds me far too much of one of my actual friends. She writes in the exact same "no caps until SUDDEN ALL CAPS, emoticons everywhere" style. Only lacks keyboard spasms to be exactly like her.

Points for realism there.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Tsubasa's messaging style reminds me far too much of one of my actual friends. She writes in the exact same "no caps until SUDDEN ALL CAPS, emoticons everywhere" style. Only lacks keyboard spasms to be exactly like her.

Points for realism there.
Yeah, I have some issues with this game but I like how they put in the effort to make all the texts you get, well... text-y. Whoever wrote them knew what they were doing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arist posted:

Gratuitous English in anime games is always a plus.

Needs more

OHHH MY GAAAD
SHEEEEEAAAT

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I knew about Barry's existence and basic details but really nothing else. He seems interesting and I'm sure we'll get a better picture of him once we see more than one update with him in it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Needs more

OHHH MY GAAAD
SHEEEEEAAAT

Believe me, those are coming. Barry is one of the best characters of this game for a reason. Love that fact that the BGM switches to that of his favorite animu theme whenever he shows up.

The YouTube videos of the game I saw didn't include the Topic chats, which are amazing to read. The stickers are great as well. Wonder if I'm one of the only people who actually use proper spelling and punctuation in texts for whatever reason, just never really got into text speak after I stopped using AIM a decade back.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

ImperialGuard posted:

I guess him being a lovely teacher breaks versimilitude for me or something, I guess.

Like I said though, maybe he turns things around, I've just yet to get there.

Barry is an excellent teacher who tries very hard to help his children understand the passion and excellence required to survive in the harsh world of japanese anime idols

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
OK, so the anime Barry* is supposed to be a diehard fan of, at least on his t-shirt, clearly has the same stylings as Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Draw your own conclusions from this. Itsuki's manager is also clearly telling us to explore Shibuya- "across the street from the station" is really unhelpful, Shibuya station is loving huge in real life.

Kind of surprisingly, our office is in a quieter part of Tokyo- relatively near to a big university, unless I miss my mark (it's not a very big map). That's close to where I ended up living last year, it was a nice part of town.

*Oh god, my boss is named Barry, this is weird.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rogue 7 posted:

OK, so the anime Barry* is supposed to be a diehard fan of, at least on his t-shirt, clearly has the same stylings as Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Draw your own conclusions from this.

It's called Dia Witch Iroha, which you can somewhat see on his shirt. And yes, it really did remind me stylistically of Nanoha.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I love how Itsuki's expression during Barry's signature move is like, 'What.' and 'I am so done with this.' I like him a little more now.

Also, usually the protagonist is really stupid when it comes to tests and studies. And Itsuki is like, it's okay man, all good.

And yeah, we all knew it was gonna go badly, this idol test.

I bet Kiria hid from Tsubasa. Like, "my survival instinct says a fan is in that area" or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My favorite unit in Fire Emblem is Marty Friedman and it's good to see that Atlus knew to bring him into this game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For the benefit of those that haven't played, that sticker of Touma's with Japanese on it was translated in the game itself, saying "Here I Go!", but I guess no one's ever bothered to extract the English versions.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Maiko's stickers are the best ones.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Artix posted:

Continuing around counter-clockwise, we have the Hee-Ho Mart. This is where we stock up on items.

Didn't say "appr-hee-ciation," 0/5 worst game ever. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Funky Valentine posted:

My favorite unit in Fire Emblem is Marty Friedman and it's good to see that Atlus knew to bring him into this game.

If he's not our teams resident Fighter/Warrior he better be the Berserker :colbert:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Just you wait.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Artix didn't show off more of her dialogue, there's def some "hee-ho!"'ing to come from her.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finally slogged through and beat this game today. Well... I beat the final boss at least. Haven't had the chance to watch ending things yet.

Anyway, I like Tsubasa a lot, especially in her Topics. She's adorable.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

If he's not our teams resident Fighter/Warrior he better be the Berserker :colbert:
With his (current) body frame, Barry might wind up being our designated General or Great Knight. Or he's the Jeigan that joins later than normal for some weird plot reason.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

AradoBalanga posted:

With his (current) body frame, Barry might wind up being our designated General or Great Knight. Or he's the Jeigan that joins later than normal for some weird plot reason.

He is thief, can't you tell :P

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Too young to be Jagen. Since this only takes from FE1 and Awakening, I guess he could be partnered with Frederick instead, but I can't imagine Itsuki/Barry ever taking off as a possible ship.

Or maybe I can. Depends on how much Itsuki ends up liking Dia Witch Iroha, clearly the key to Barry's heart.

Also I have to wonder how a Dia Witch actually beats her enemies. Her speciality, from name alone at least, is clearly healing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The same way a four-White Mage team beats Final Fantasy. With hammers and near-invulnerability despite their squishiness.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Marty Friedman rules

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This game rules, but it's very strange for me to hear Chrom speak in this game as a big Gintama fan.

...Not that I don't appreciate more Sugita in my life.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I sincerely hope Barry joins the party. That would be enough to seal this game as the Game of the Year for 2016 for me.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Barry really is the best character in this game, though sadly why that is has yet to be seen.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Daitama Observatory is supposed to be that television building in Odaiba, right? I think I remember it from Digimon.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this game when I heard what it was about, but I usually keep an open mind for most things, and after catching up on this LP so far it seems like an okay game. I think I'll stick around and see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Somebody's got to be Simon Cowell here, I suppose.

• Locked thread