Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

LionArcher posted:

It's not good anymore? Not with an Xbox one controller :ohdear:?

Nope. It retained the super stiff controls designed to accommodate a single N64 joystick.

Same with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but at least those had better controls in the rereleases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

... Huh? I'm pretty sure HItman and Deus Ex are pretty different games. I'm not sure what else qualifies as stealth? Their Thief reboot I guess but that's pretty drat old by this point and also not really like Hitman or Deus Ex.

I have had the misfortune to think these were good games, in till I played them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are harsh but fair and imo are great examples of level and encounter design in re: the sphere of 2D platforming kill'em-ups

3 is a lot more bullshit but still a good game

and that's been prazzy-kun's hot takes of the day, brought to you by Nissin Cup Noodles. sugoi!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

precision posted:

3 is a lot more bullshit but still a good game

When you take out the bullshit they added to the US release, it's arguably the fairest of the three. They took out the bird enemies and replaced them with these big robots that have giant hitboxes, and the problem where stuff on the edge of the screen respawning immediately has been fixed. Stuff will still respawn but they've given you like a half of a screen of wiggle room instead of, like, a pixel.

Also you can put in a cheat to just have 99 continues which really only leaves the damage scaling problem.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are lessons on how to have a kick rear end soundtrack and quality games in 384 kB or less.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Jet Force Gemini has aged like milk

Slap some new controls on it and it'd be fine, but as-is... blech

But cheese and yogurt are delicious!

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

... Huh? I'm pretty sure HItman and Deus Ex are pretty different games. I'm not sure what else qualifies as stealth? Their Thief reboot I guess but that's pretty drat old by this point and also not really like Hitman or Deus Ex.

Don't engage him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Jet Force Gemini is basically Banjo Kazooie with guns and also you can shoot the jinjos in the head

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Phantasium posted:

If you want NES bullshit give Adventure Island a try sometime. It's far worse than those.

Also try some Famicom-exclusive titles featured on Game Center CX, like Challenger, Atlantis no Nazo and Quest of Ki.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looper posted:

But cheese and yogurt are delicious!

You have to do stuff to milk to make it in to those, not just leave it out in the sun for 15 years

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

You have to do stuff to milk to make it in to those, not just leave it out in the sun for 15 years

Um I've played Baten Kaitos thank you and I don't think I like what you're suggesting

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finding out you could throw shuriken at giant ants and behead them was a pretty great moment for 10 year old me. Jet Force Gemini was the tits.

Oh, getting to the end and finding out you couldn't beat the game without saving a bunch of dumbass koalas was some garbage though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Personally, I prefer Sonic 1 on the Master System to the real thing, but the real Sonic 2 blows them both away.

Sonic 1's kinda not great, to be honest. It kinda rides the coattails of its sequels. I mean it's not a bad game, but it's not one I ever get an urge to replay.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I guess I'll just remember Jet Force fondly and not buy an Xbone. Time to play more Zelda on the Wii U before breath of the wild comes out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Loose Ifer posted:

Don't engage him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The reviews for Horizon are so far pretty glowing but I can't shake the feeling it's going to be exactly as boring to me as Far Cry 3/4. This is probably one of those times when my own preconceived ideas of the game are making it seem impossible that it could be actually good and not just good in the exact way that gets high scores from professional reviewers but is ultimately kind of formulaic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

The reviews for Horizon are so far pretty glowing but I can't shake the feeling it's going to be exactly as boring to me as Far Cry 3/4. This is probably one of those times when my own preconceived ideas of the game are making it seem impossible that it could be actually good and not just good in the exact way that gets high scores from professional reviewers but is ultimately kind of formulaic.

Horizon is a perfectly competent open-world game elevated in some degree by having fun robo-dinosaur fights. It is not going to change your mind if you don't like open world games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I loved Far Cry Primal, so the idea of that plus more intricate combat and robots sounds pretty good to me!

On that note, I need to know the quantity and quality of animals you can ride and (this is important) if you can pet them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Horizon is a perfectly competent open-world game elevated in some degree by having fun robo-dinosaur fights. It is not going to change your mind if you don't like open world games.

To what degree do the optional open world things (side quests, hunting, etc) feel like busywork versus satisfying content? Like, on a scale from Assassin's Creed to Witcher 3?

(Yes, I know Witcher 3 has busywork icons, too, but it has a mountain of worthwhile side quests that are the real draw.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

To what degree do the optional open world things (side quests, hunting, etc) feel like busywork versus satisfying content? Like, on a scale from Assassin's Creed to Witcher 3?

(Yes, I know Witcher 3 has busywork icons, too, but it has a mountain of worthwhile side quests that are the real draw.)

Eh, somewhere in the middle. It isn't quite as bad as collectable overload as Assassn's Creed but it's nowhere well as full of well-written sidequests as Witcher 3 either. Most of the rewards are semi-randomized loot though so how meaningful it is depends a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
all i want to know is if that horrible voice acting cut scene is real

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Not a Children posted:

This was a common and thought-out method of curtailing rentals in the US. The Adventures of Bayou Billy, Contra 3, and Quest 64 were edited to make them harder. Same goes for most space-shooters when that genre was popular.

Wait what? Really? I've beaten Quest 64 before it's not that difficult, nor was the grinding that bad, though I may not be remembering that correctly. Surely you can get your stats good enough to beat it within a week?

Darn I missed that games you were good at chat, which is mostly limited to Wind Waker, Smash Bros. Melee, and the Wario Ware games for me. I can attest however that my console FPS skills have also gone straight down the toilet too, there must be something about graduating college that says "though shalt not FPS on a controller any more".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Turbinosamente posted:

Wait what? Really? I've beaten Quest 64 before it's not that difficult, nor was the grinding that bad, though I may not be remembering that correctly. Surely you can get your stats good enough to beat it within a week?

Darn I missed that games you were good at chat, which is mostly limited to Wind Waker, Smash Bros. Melee, and the Wario Ware games for me. I can attest however that my console FPS skills have also gone straight down the toilet too, there must be something about graduating college that says "though shalt not FPS on a controller any more".

Your twitch reflexes decay with age. It is the way of all flesh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

24 is the age when all reflexes start going downhill measurably.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

all i want to know is if that horrible voice acting cut scene is real

Yes, it is real. The game's voice acting is all over the place. Some of it genuinely sounds like they got random people to do lines. I don't know if they got hit by the voice actor's strike or what but it is some remarkably bad stuff. The thing is that it isn't all of it. There's some really solid voice acting too. It's bizarre.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

LawfulWaffle posted:

Good morning games chat thread. Today is President's Day in America, which means I don't have to work. It also officially marks the first nationally recognized holiday honoring Donald John Trump. Because this fact makes me want to commit high treason, I will instead share some of my Steam keys from the Freedom Humble bundle and things I've had laying around. PM if you want the code for one of these games, and later today I'll post the rest in the Steam code sharing thread.

On the table are:
2064: Read Only Memories
Chroma Squad
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition
Invisible, Inc.
Mini Metro
No Time To Explain
Nuclear Throne
Octodad Dadliest Catch
The Stanley Parable
Stardew Valley
Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP
System Shock Pack
Uncanny Valley
Labyrinthine Dreams

and here's one I accidentally generated the code for despite already owning the game, so it's free for the fastest.
Day of the Tentacle: 5DBTT-AJR*H-*BCAC where * is the second capitalized letter in my username.

First come first serve and since I'm not working I won't be in front of my computer all day, so keep that in mind.

Has anyone taken Chroma Squad? If not could you PM me the code?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, somewhere in the middle. It isn't quite as bad as collectable overload as Assassn's Creed but it's nowhere well as full of well-written sidequests as Witcher 3 either. Most of the rewards are semi-randomized loot though so how meaningful it is depends a bit.

That's fine, as long as it doesn't go full AssCreed I'll probably enjoy it. I like open world games just fine, I just burned out on Ubisoft's brand of busywork collectathons.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Lurdiak posted:

24 is the age when all reflexes start going downhill measurably.

I really do feel like an old man now when I play anything competitive that I used to be good at

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think a decent chunk of the top fighting game players are in like their 30s now

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Loose Ifer posted:

Play bloodborne if you own a PS4.

You know, oddly enough I couldn't get into that one. The rhythm and pacing of combat just didn't work for me. I enjoyed watching others play it, but yeah, it never clicked for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I think a decent chunk of the top fighting game players are in like their 30s now

Fighting games are as much about understanding and reading the opponent as anything else and most fighting game players of that age are at that point because they're extremely good at mindgames rather than sheer twitch reflexes.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Your twitch reflexes decay with age. It is the way of all flesh

Not that old yet, I can still crush Wario Ware: I'm currently playing through Twisted. It's actually the moving and looking around trying to aim, so clearly my co-ordination is going first. :v:

(I haven't seriously touched an FPS since all night Halo multiplayer in college, it's realistically just being way out of practice.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You guys have me curious now - where can I go on youtube to see the best fighting game players play?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

You guys have me curious now - where can I go on youtube to see the best fighting game players play?

https://www.twitch.tv/joniosan

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its hosting some other channel right now but its like a daily stream from a japanese arcade where the same 15 people play guilty gear 8 hours a day , which theyve been doing for the last 15 years

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Perfect, thanks! I found the youtube archive of their streams and :eyepop:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also there's a tournament somewhere just about every other weekend these days, especially in the first half of the year in the lead up to Evo

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:rice:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3XU09J2olg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Training posted:

Its hosting some other channel right now but its like a daily stream from a japanese arcade where the same 15 people play guilty gear 8 hours a day , which theyve been doing for the last 15 years

161 wins versus 2000+ wins.

Do...

Do these players ever see the sun?

e: It's cool that you can tell that the 2000+ win player is just toying with the other one. They're just that good and I feel bad for the other player.

• Locked thread