Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

There's a level with nothing but steep slopes and ice physics so if you fall off at any point it starts you back at the beginning.

*voice of Rattle when he falls off a cliff* AAAAHHHHhhhhhhhh!!!

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno man, to me the idea of Battletoads was always way better than the experience of playing it. The best Battletoads game is the Arcade one, because that's just a straight brawle with a single space shooter sectionr, and the second best one is Battletoads and Double Dragon, because that one has the least gimmicky non-brawler stuff, and neither is obnoxiously hard like the "real" Battletoads games. Those are also the only games where you can pick all 3 of the Toads instead of being stuck with just two of them.

BTW, the devs wanted to purposefully make Billy and Jimmy sucky to play as in Battletoads and Double Dragon so that people would pick the Battletoads instead, until their boss told them to knock it off.

Yeah I can respect this opinion.

All this talk about Rare games makes me want to play Viva Piņata again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They also made the final boss in one of the arcade games invulnerable for like two minutes so that you would keep dying and have to spend quarters to beat them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phantasium posted:

They also made the final boss in one of the arcade games invulnerable for like two minutes so that you would keep dying and have to spend quarters to beat them.

That's honestly pretty mild for Arcade fuckery, but yeah. It's still lovely. Goddamn B-Toads.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Battletoads and a lot of the other crazy hard NES/Genesis/SNES games blow my mind because imagine trying to make a $60 AAA game that literally millions of dollars went into like that now where you have a stage that's practically unbeatable.

It's funny how many old games I never actually beat growing up because they didn't have saves or anything like that.

e: I mean I guess Dark Souls is a thing but that's not really comparable to some of the stuff from Battletoads in my eyes

suuma fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

suuma posted:

Battletoads and a lot of the other crazy hard NES/Genesis/SNES games blow my mind because imagine trying to make a game like that now where you have a stage that's practically unbeatable in your $60 AAA game that literally millions of dollars went into the development of.

It's funny how many old games I never actually beat growing up because they didn't have saves or anything like that.

e: I mean I guess Dark Souls is a thing but that's not really comparable to some of the stuff from Battletoads in my eyes

Jurassic Park on the NES is, to this day, the only game I have owned* but never beaten. I've only been to level 4. It sucks because it's actually a fairly decent game, it's just hard as gently caress.

* before the days of Steam that bloated my backlog exponentially

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mak0rz posted:

I don't think there is any game I purchased more than RE4.

Granted that's only three times but still I spent money on the same game three times and I don't regret a single dollar because RE4 is perfect.
It's a long video but the payoff is A M A Z I N G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEfJ6_cpmvs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i bought tradewinds odyssey on steam, and.....

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's a long video but the payoff is A M A Z I N G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEfJ6_cpmvs

Why does this exist

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Battletoads was proof that devs hated gamers and wanted them to suffer. And yeah Battletoad was not good, they threw so many things at you to gently caress with you. I always felt a game that good concept was teaching the player what to expect but Battletoads never did that. it's like ok you have this level where you are climbing down a tree, a speed tunnel section, a section where you have to keep jumping on snakes and one gently caress up is death, and it never stops throwing new things at you. Hell I think the speed tunnel and the jet are the onlly two similar things that happen and even then the jet part is still bullshit.

I guess that's why Battletoad gets the rep it does when you beat it. You ever gone on social media and soon as you bring up you beat Battletoads it's like oh my god you are amazing etc, and I"m like no you just dealt with a game that threw bullshit at you. This isn't the DARK SOULS of the 80s, it just NES hard bullshit and I could name quite a few games that were just as bullshit as Battletoads.

I wonder if there was any correlationto NES games and blockbuster. I mean renting games were the rage back then. Alot of NES games were just bullshit.

This might be due to fuckery but it still amazes me how the japaense version of Ninja Gaiden 3 was easier then the US one. The US version had limited continues and the enemies hit harder.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 20, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blackfyre posted:

Heres my controversial opinion... I didn't find Rare all that great back in the day. I've always assumed it was something my end that wasn't clicking. Goldeneye and DKC I really enjoyed (PD by extension but I didn't like it as much as Goldeneye for many reasons) but I really wouldn't have been fussed if that was all they ever made.

RC Pro Am was loving godlike at the time

But then they got one-upped by whatever shitnothing company made Micro Machines, haha

e: Battletoads was Legit Good and 14 year old me had no problem beating it :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If I recall, Rare threw a tantrum when Nintendo Power gave Battletoads a 6/10 rating and threatened to pull advertising from the magazine. So I guess they were really banking on stupid Battletoads being a big hit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never did play Battletoads vs. Double Dragon. Or Double Dragon Neon, come to think on it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i've never played battletoads but it doesn't look fun

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So Yacht Club is mostly composed of the Wayforward team that worked on Double Dragon Neon. I talked to one of them, and they said they'd love to do another Double Dragon game. They also included Battletoads in the Xbox One version of Shovel Knight. And based on a few other statements I've heard, I think that if they had the opportunity, Yacht Club would totally make Double Dragon and Battletoads Neon.

Neon is like tied for best Double Dragon game ever with the GBA game, by the way. I can't recommend it enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neon is really absurdly good. It's just the right mix of fun and cheesy. The 3D models are kinda crap but everyone else is so good it well overcomes it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Shindragon posted:

I wonder if there was any correlationto NES games and blockbuster. I mean renting games were the rage back then. Alot of NES games were just bullshit.

This might be due to fuckery but it still amazes me how the japaense version of Ninja Gaiden 3 was easier then the US one. The US version had limited continues and the enemies hit harder.

This was a common and thought-out method of curtailing rentals in the US. The Adventures of Bayou Billy, Contra 3, and Quest 64 were edited to make them harder. Same goes for most space-shooters when that genre was popular.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It really is kind of a shame that a company known for its stellar pixel art chose to cut costs and use uggo 3D models on their best game.

I'm still mad about that IGN review.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I very much love Double Dragon Neon and I want a goddamn sequel. Set in the 90s of coruse. GET that EXTREME TUBLAR attitude in there. And bring back Skeletor... I mean Skullmageddon. I loved that boney rear end bastard. Double Dragon is not known for having any memorable end bosses (other than the twist of Jimmy being the Shadow Master, etc)

And now I"m obligated to post the best credits song ever in a game (next to GOD HAND)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzHO50sB2gs

edit: I know I normally don't do lists, and this is subjective but the games that scream NES bullshit to me where:

Zelda2
Battletoads
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2
Castlevania 2
Ghost and Goblins

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I never did check, was it the same fucker at IGN who gave Double Dragon Neon the 3/10 that gave God Hand a 3/10?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shindragon posted:

edit: I know I normally don't do lists, and this is subjective but the games that scream NES bullshit to me where:

Zelda2
Battletoads
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2
Castlevania 2
Ghost and Goblins

If you want NES bullshit give Adventure Island a try sometime. It's far worse than those.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

I never did check, was it the same fucker at IGN who gave Double Dragon Neon the 3/10 that gave God Hand a 3/10?

Hahahah I wish but nah different guys but hey shows how horrible IGN's tastes were.

edit: How bullshit we talkiing?

NO passwords? No Continues?

Obsecure paths? Platforming? Gimme the details because you made me raise an eyebrow if there is someting more bullshit than Ghost n Goblins.

gently caress that red flying gently caress.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Back to games we took time to really dig into... For me the first were the Shining Force games on the Genesis. Then FF8, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Ocarina of Time. The most recent titles I've gotten that sense of ownership and mastery from are Shadows of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. I haven't had anything hook me quite as hard in a while. Those I really worked hard to master mechanics, timing, etc enough to play multiple times and do challenge runs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wonder Boy on Sega Master System is the superior version of Adventure Island, in every way. And that's maybe the only case where anyone's ever said the Master System had the better version of a game. Wonder Boy lacks most of the unforgiving bullshit and lovely timing that Adventure Island has, has better music, looks way better, and the protagonist isn't a weird Japanese in-joke.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Putting Zelda 2 in that list is kind of unfair. I beat it blind without any problem at all. The only thing that can be construed as bullshit is the false floor in the last dungeon and even that wasn't so bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Castlevania 2 isn't that bullshit if you have a guide, just kinda boring. Unless you mean 3, that game is balls hard in the US.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Castlevania 2 isn't that bullshit if you have a guide, just kinda boring.

Yeah if you know where to go it's the easiest game in the series. There's 3 bosses and you don't have to fight the first two, and Dracula can be beaten before he attacks once.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I did say that list was subjective. :v:

Didn't help Castelvania's 2 translation was shoddy as poo poo.

Zelda 2 goes up there because of Death Mountain.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zelda II becomes increasingly more tolerable the second you get the hammer and not have to trudge through the god damned swamp again.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Battletoads isn't "straight up bad" dude come on. Sure they aren't the best beat-em-ups out there, but they're still playable and can be fun despite their flaws. Also you forgot Blast Corps hth

Also the most underrated Rare game is Snake Rattle & Roll. It's the only game in which I accept isometric precise-platforming.

Underrated? Jet Force Gemini. I'm considering a bone just for rare replay and gears and halo

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jet Force Gemini has aged like milk

Slap some new controls on it and it'd be fine, but as-is... blech

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Back to games we took time to really dig into... For me the first were the Shining Force games on the Genesis. Then FF8, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Ocarina of Time. The most recent titles I've gotten that sense of ownership and mastery from are Shadows of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. I haven't had anything hook me quite as hard in a while. Those I really worked hard to master mechanics, timing, etc enough to play multiple times and do challenge runs.

Play bloodborne if you own a PS4.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Not a Children posted:

That does make a point of something, what are some games that controlled fine to you back when you first played them but now control like trash because some other game has done it better?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Much as I have a love for it, Megaman Legends. Back then it was holding the shoulder buttons and just circle strafe around your enemies, now 3D action games do a much better job of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress yall ninja gaiden owns

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

gently caress yall ninja gaiden owns

I agree.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Wonder Boy on Sega Master System is the superior version of Adventure Island, in every way. And that's maybe the only case where anyone's ever said the Master System had the better version of a game. Wonder Boy lacks most of the unforgiving bullshit and lovely timing that Adventure Island has, has better music, looks way better, and the protagonist isn't a weird Japanese in-joke.

Personally, I prefer Sonic 1 on the Master System to the real thing, but the real Sonic 2 blows them both away.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Not a Children posted:

It's not good anymore? Not with an Xbox one controller :ohdear:?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Jet Force Gemini has updated controls on rare replay, and they're still bad.

It's serviceable if you hold down the aim button but that's still clunky as hell

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All of square enix's lovely stealth games suck rear end, they managed to turn all of the stealth games into the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

All of square enix's lovely stealth games suck rear end, they managed to turn all of the stealth games into the same game.

... Huh? I'm pretty sure HItman and Deus Ex are pretty different games. I'm not sure what else qualifies as stealth? Their Thief reboot I guess but that's pretty drat old by this point and also not really like Hitman or Deus Ex.

• Locked thread