Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, somewhere in the middle. It isn't quite as bad as collectable overload as Assassn's Creed but it's nowhere well as full of well-written sidequests as Witcher 3 either. Most of the rewards are semi-randomized loot though so how meaningful it is depends a bit.

Random loot could be good or bad. Are we talking like Diablo/Borderlands level or just a glorified paint job so you don't have to feel obligated to get the best stuff? Also how cool does armor look. This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Weirdly enough I got way more into tough action games in my late 20s and now early 30s than I ever was when I was younger. I'm not terrible at them but I wonder if I'd have had an easier time with the learning curve if I'd had the patience to try when I was a youth.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/833798085281058817

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
That's absolutely loving crazy

Look how big the DS cartridge is in comparison!!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Vita carts are tiny and they look the same size. Interesting. Definitely get a carrying case if you don't want to lose those suckers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Random loot could be good or bad. Are we talking like Diablo/Borderlands level or just a glorified paint job so you don't have to feel obligated to get the best stuff? Also how cool does armor look. This is important.

Basically:

A) Randomized items used for crafting. This is unimportant as you'll be frigging overstuffed with most items. (Make your top priority crafting the maximum size resource satchel.)
B) Randomized modifications which you can use to upgrade weapons and equipment. There are no randomized weapons or anything (unless I missed something drastic) just random bonuses you can apply to those weapons. Bonuses can be slotted in and out but are lost if you remove them unless you get the Tinker skill.

Armor is okay but not great.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Witness is so loving good you guys. Like, it's not perfect and I don't feel bad at all for using a guide for a few of the more obscure or involved puzzles but I'm still loving just about everything about it.

I might still like The Talos Principle more as a whole but The Witness is so much more unique and weird and I'm glad I managed to avoid getting spoiled about it aside from some Twitter drama about the ending and a certain optional objective that was pretty funny at the time but also gave me a completely wrong idea of what the game would be like.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LionArcher posted:

I guess I'll just remember Jet Force fondly and not buy an Xbone. Time to play more Zelda on the Wii U before breath of the wild comes out.

I'd like to recommend a little something called Project64

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uErMM_MBm68

Man, that's a pretty good theme.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope this game is cool

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm glad the Mana guy is getting work again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdq04wuBwU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guy Mann posted:

The Witness is so loving good you guys. Like, it's not perfect and I don't feel bad at all for using a guide for a few of the more obscure or involved puzzles but I'm still loving just about everything about it.

I might still like The Talos Principle more as a whole but The Witness is so much more unique and weird and I'm glad I managed to avoid getting spoiled about it aside from some Twitter drama about the ending and a certain optional objective that was pretty funny at the time but also gave me a completely wrong idea of what the game would be like.

Yeah it's really loving great.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What's the best way to play the original DOOM these days?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr Cheeto posted:

GZDoom, or if you're really wanting to be basic old-school Doom as possible, Chocolate Doom.

The OP of the Old FPS thread has links to stuff, and the thread's generally a good time, too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Looper posted:

I'd like to recommend a little something called Project64

I wonder if it works on mac.....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

gzdoom

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I am loving offended by this. WHERE IS THE EUROBEAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZRVn6oObVM&t=35s

If you mute the video and play the eurobeat instead the game suddenly becomes much better.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was gonna say they should have went whole-hog and just build a time machine to get Motoi Sakuraba back from the late 90s and make him do the soundtrack for that authentic Valkyrie Profile sound.

but no the music we get instead is way more than good enough.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grapplejack posted:

I am loving offended by this. WHERE IS THE EUROBEAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZRVn6oObVM&t=35s

If you mute the video and play the eurobeat instead the game suddenly becomes much better.

valusoft doesnt have the money for that

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If anyone's looking to buy Tales of Berseria, Namco is selling the game digitally from their website for $30 on Steam and $40 on PS4.

https://www.bandainamcoentstore.com/product/425337/tales-of-berseria-steam-key

I might grab this now to save for later once I finish Breath of the Wild. No way am I going to start it before getting Zelda only to put it down for a while and forget what I was doing when I come back weeks later.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hiya. I'm trying to get through the Nathan Drake collection, but Uncharted 1 is just banal platforming plus unfun shooting. Should I stick it out for the story and dialogue (which I do kinda like) or just jump to 2?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone heard of Malicious Fallen that is coming out tomorrow? Trailers make it look like a kind of mix of Bayonetta and Dynasty Warriors, but I've seen basically nothing else about it anywhere. As someone who likes action games of that sort, is it worth taking the plunge?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bogart posted:

Hiya. I'm trying to get through the Nathan Drake collection, but Uncharted 1 is just banal platforming plus unfun shooting. Should I stick it out for the story and dialogue (which I do kinda like) or just jump to 2?

Uncharted 1 is the shortest and shouldn't take longer than 5-6 hours. Finish that instead.

If you don't like either of those things I don't know how much you'll like the rest though, especially 4 if you get around to playing it. That one is 15 hours long and mostly banal platforming and walking sections.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

Has anyone heard of Malicious Fallen that is coming out tomorrow? Trailers make it look like a kind of mix of Bayonetta and Dynasty Warriors, but I've seen basically nothing else about it anywhere. As someone who likes action games of that sort, is it worth taking the plunge?

It's a seriously loving weird game that doesn't really play like either of those, the closest thing I can think of is a much more fast paced Soul Sacrifice maybe? Anyway I played the PS3 version ages ago and there's no structure or instruction and I mostly didn't know what the hell was going on.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

GUI posted:

Uncharted 1 is the shortest and shouldn't take longer than 5-6 hours. Finish that instead.

If you don't like either of those things I don't know how much you'll like the rest though, especially 4 if you get around to playing it. That one is 15 hours long and mostly banal platforming and walking sections.

That sounds awful. Why are those games so popular?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Because Uncharted 4 is actually really good

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If I thought Crusader Kings 2 was annoyingly obtuse for no reason, would I like Europa Universalis 4 better? It looks more up my alley but I might be fooling myself.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I thought UC4 was fine but I was so tired of how uninvolved and braindead the platforming was that I was literally mashing X near the end. I still love UC2 but the fourth game just felt so loving boring towards the end. I wish somebody, literally anybody, would take the Naughty Dog engine and make something else with it instead of the plodding poo poo they're going to march out with Last Of Us 2: We Really Are The Last Of Us: Have All The Feels Because Reasons

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

chumbler posted:

Best way I can describe Malicious is like a straight boss rush since every level is just a big rear end arena with tons of mooks and the boss all trying to kill your rear end, The combat is more towards Dynasty Warriors in depth then like Bayo or the DMC games but they throw you a new power every time you take out a boss so you get new toys to play with.

I loved the thing back when I played it on Vita but YMMV since the thing is pretty short, though the new content might alleviate that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ekster posted:

If I thought Crusader Kings 2 was annoyingly obtuse for no reason, would I like Europa Universalis 4 better? It looks more up my alley but I might be fooling myself.

What are you trying to get out of your gameplay? EU4 is just as complex but in slightly different ways. It doesn't have a granular character interaction system like CK2 does, but instead makes up for it by having layered and interconnected systems all centered around the limited resources and attention of the head of state.

These games are by nature complex which is why people love them. It is one of those things where you shouldn't expect to master things within the first few hours, so you should go in trying to have fun poking and prodding at the various systems, and getting better will probably involve watching someone else play through while explaining things

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are you trying to get out of your gameplay? EU4 is just as complex but in slightly different ways. It doesn't have a granular character interaction system like CK2 does, but instead makes up for it by having layered and interconnected systems all centered around the limited resources and attention of the head of state.

These games are by nature complex which is why people love them. It is one of those things where you shouldn't expect to master things within the first few hours, so you should go in trying to have fun poking and prodding at the various systems, and getting better will probably involve watching someone else play through while explaining things

I'm more interested in a grand strategy game than the personal interactions in CK2. I have played Civ 5 before and although I enjoyed it it was a little too simplistic for my taste. I guess what I'm looking for is a chill strategy game that has (some) depth to it on my second monitor while I do other stuff.

Maybe some other strategy game is better for that, but I should probably also change my mentality going into a Paradox game if I want to enjoy it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ekster posted:

I'm more interested in a grand strategy game than the personal interactions in CK2. I have played Civ 5 before and although I enjoyed it it was a little too simplistic for my taste. I guess what I'm looking for is a chill strategy game that has (some) depth to it on my second monitor while I do other stuff.

Maybe some other strategy game is better for that, but I should probably also change my mentality going into a Paradox game if I want to enjoy it.

I would say EU4 would slightly be more up your alley, as it was the ur-example of the grand strategy game as Paradox does it. It has more coherent and developed systems for national expansion, reflecting the historical rise of the nation-state -- you can colonize, you can conquer and incorporate territories without microing vassals (you micro estates, which are basically social classes, but it's much less involved), you can build an empire that's more cohesive than what you can do in CK2.

It is, however, very complex. The comparison I like to make is that Civ is a board game at heart -- you have a smaller number of moving parts, and you build your empire in discrete chunks -- building cities, researching techs, building a unit -- per turn, and you can pretty much hold all the variables in your head.

Paradox games are about making many more smaller decisions that shift curves whose long-term effects stretch into decades, interact with multiple systems, and whose consequences cannot be as easily predicted because of random events and the fact that there are dozens more nations involved in any given situation. It's very much more simulationist in its approach.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Bogart posted:

If you're enjoying the story but plodding along through the other parts, good news, that's where I was when I played through the series for the first time last year starting with 1. The first game is really rough and I didn't get the love for the series until 2. 2 gets way more fun with more/better story and miles better combat scenarios and then 3 is a weird mix of great and terrible and then 4 perfects everything. They added in some decent stealth to shake up the combat along with allowing you to get through much of the game without fighting if you didn't want to.

Finish 1 because it's short but if after a few hours of 2 you're not feeling it, don't bother with the rest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

3 still has my favourite set piece, the sinking cruise liner. The bit where you get back to the ballroom and see the wall of water pressing against the glass former-ceiling....

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That was definitely very cool. Up there with the rooftop combat in 2 and the car chase scene in 4 as the series' best spectacles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo Uncharted lives and dies by its setpieces, gameplay-wise. Just shooting enemies can be pretty fun if you ignore the cover system and sprint around like a bat out of hell socking dudes in the jaw and rolling all over the place while blind firing... but it's not enough to carry the whole game, so it gets a bit boring unless you are doing that and you're in a really cool setpiece. Uncharted 1 does not have many such setpieces because the series hadn't really found its groove in that way yet, which I think is why it's the least exciting of the games. It's not until Uncharted 2 and beyond that they start throwing you into crazy-rear end situations that aren't just arenas in old ruins and say "okay shoot all these people while you're sliding down the side of this collapsing building, hero".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 21, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bogart posted:

I found 1 boring and never finished it but I really liked 2 and the sequels were extensions of it so if you're like me you may enjoy those games more. I also didn't feel lost in Uncharted 2 without finishing the first one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ImpAtom posted:

Horizon is a perfectly competent open-world game elevated in some degree by having fun robo-dinosaur fights. It is not going to change your mind if you don't like open world games.

I think open world games kind of live and die by their premise. If you're totally down with the setting then you can't get enough, but if you're not feeling it then there's nothing more chorelike than playing an open-world game you just don't care about. Luckily for me Xena warrior princess hunting robot dinosaurs with a bow in a neo-primitive world is like a checklist of every single thing I think is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Graphics

• Locked thread