Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
What would be some good names for a hypothetical child born in Appalachia? It has to be something that says "at least one of my parents went to college, but for some reason they're still living in Ohio."

I like religious names, so I thought Metatron sounded pretty good, but I don't want other parents and maybe school faculty to think I named my child after a Transformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Zebulon

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What would be some good names for a hypothetical child born in Appalachia? It has to be something that says "at least one of my parents went to college, but for some reason they're still living in Ohio."

I like religious names, so I thought Metatron sounded pretty good, but I don't want other parents and maybe school faculty to think I named my child after a Transformer.

Methhew

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

I've got a kid. She came a month early with some complications and spent some time in the nicu. then she wouldn't latch for the longest time and was colicky for months 2-4 and she didn't take to sleep training. she finally started sleeping through the night at like 13 months.

So boy do I know exhaustion.

While yeah I'll grant you that perhaps the total happiness in my life has gone down due to sheer stress and utter exhaustion, but the peaks are way way higher fwiw. Having my 14 month old walk over and give me a hug is seriously the best.

Fiddler on the Reef fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 21, 2017

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Oxytocin is a hell of a drug

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

While yeah I'll grant you that perhaps the total happiness in my life has gone down due to sheer stress and utter exhaustion, the peaks are way way higher fwiw. Having my 14 month old walk over and give me a hug is seriously the best.

The neighbors cat comes over and rubs its head on my leg sometimes and I don't even have to do anything.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Best early 30s parents I knew basically abused one partner's access to college childcare, engaged in colleague parties once they figured their hellspawn's torpor times. Mainly dinner parties but still full of booze, them being french-speaking.

Then they hosed it up with the academic spouse "graduating" to London with a professorship, when they could have lived the dream life spouting bullshit and making near-London wages in a semi-rural shithole with cheap rent. He forgot to send in the application he was a shoe-in for the local job with an insane salary. :cripes:.

I get the feeling the college creche saved them from mental breakdown on their first kid. But they're managing now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Professor SJW posted:

i recognize that my garbage genetic line should end with me. i'm not ashamed of that. i'm making the world a better place.

they should be thanking us and suck are dilz

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

spacetoaster posted:

I think these people who don't want to have kids are just natures way of keeping bad genes out of circulation.

After the people openly admitting that they had kids because of a selfish desire for validation and/or an indentured servant to care for them in old age, this is my favorite self-own from defensive parents in threads like these. :biotruths::hf::godwin:

Turdsdown Tom posted:

sorry that you didn't decide to stay in shape and strengthen your body while you had the chance, dipshit. the only person to blame for your weak knees and bad arthritis is yourself.

if Gordie Howe can play hockey until he's 52 years old, your stupid rear end should be able to handle Doing Things™ at 45

One of my favorite success stories to come from e/n was a guy who was arguing about having kids with his wife because he felt that she wasn't responsible enough to care for them and was in such poor shape that he was worried that it might effect the baby's health during pregnancy or leave them without a mother at an early age. So he finally came to an agreement with her that if she could get in good enough shape to run a 5k then he would agree to try and conceive a child with her because that would convince him that she was serious enough about taking care of herself and their potential kids...and then she wound up giving up because thirty minutes of exercise three days a week was just too much effort.

If you aren't even capable of taking care of yourself then you're nowhere near capable of being responsible for another person.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

500 bad things posted:

Oxytocin is a hell of a drug

ya but you can get it from pettin a dog

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Guy Mann posted:

After the people openly admitting that they had kids because of a selfish desire for validation and/or an indentured servant to care for them in old age, this is my favorite self-own from defensive parents in threads like these. :biotruths::hf::godwin:

One of my favorite success stories to come from e/n was a guy who was arguing about having kids with his wife because he felt that she wasn't responsible enough to care for them and was in such poor shape that he was worried that it might effect the baby's health during pregnancy or leave them without a mother at an early age. So he finally came to an agreement with her that if she could get in good enough shape to run a 5k then he would agree to try and conceive a child with her because that would convince him that she was serious enough about taking care of herself and their potential kids...and then she wound up giving up because thirty minutes of exercise three days a week was just too much effort.

If you aren't even capable of taking care of yourself then you're nowhere near capable of being responsible for another person.

You are forgetting the other class of parent: maybe having a baby will snap me out of these problems I keep having!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

ya but you can get it from pettin a dog

hell yeah you can

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

What kind of vaping setup do you have?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The dog releases oxytocin, too. :3:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

500 bad things posted:

hell yeah you can

good dog

fyodor posted:

The dog releases oxytocin, too. :3:

:hellyeah:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

My fiance wants kids bad but I know that it's going to ruin the planet and my own life and also why is everyone in this thread apparently having twins?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
fertility drugs

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

brayden, jayden, kayden or dayden

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

someone pls name their kid Burger Pug

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
shout out to all the parents naming their kids video game characters, big props

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

OMFG FURRY posted:

shout out to all the parents naming their kids video game characters, big props

Megaman Kowalski, please approach the bench

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hello I'm Duke Nukem Silverstein, your new rape crisis counselor

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

whyd you get a name change my misanthropic brother?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

bitmap posted:

My fiance wants kids bad but I know that it's going to ruin the planet and my own life and also why is everyone in this thread apparently having twins?

kidhavers either do it way too young and ruin their lives or wait too long and let wives and mortality panic coerce them into fertility drugs so they have multiples

Nefarious 2.0 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 21, 2017

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

the real issue is that according to evolution we should be breeding by 16 and dying by 40

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

imagine finding out im your dad

vols bitch

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

OMFG FURRY posted:

my mom had me when she was 18 and my father was a deadbeat, so he had a kid in his 20's without any of the negative consequences, didn't even pay for child support because mom hated the idea of sharing custody, so i will never have children in hopes of ending the poison lineage that is my family

this guy knows what's up

Professor SJW posted:

well yeah but kids wont fix that

this guy knows what's up

nice

vyst posted:

Just make your girl a toaster strudel instead of a twinkie.

this guy knows what's up AND nice

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the real issue is that according to evolution we should be breeding by 16 and dying by 40

100% what I tell the high school girls

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

kidhavers either do it way too young and ruin their lives or wait too long and let wives and mortality panic coerce them into fertility drugs so they have multiples

hmm so we can bump two out at once eh? can any of the nineteen beleaguered husbands in this thread who have had twins comment on whether it is better or worse to endure double kid hell for X long or one kid hell for 2X?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

bitmap posted:

whyd you get a name change my misanthropic brother?

someone tried to own me by calling me professor social justice but i thought it was a really good username so i took it lol

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

well i hosed up the breed by 16 thing so i hope i dont let evolution down by living past 40

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
No, I need my genetic material to be slathered as far as the eye can see, I'm like a mixologists with the ladies and I'm always looking for a new cocktail combination

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

"His name is Bort. It's a callback to this episode of the Simpsons . . ."

"Sephiroth is doing so well in school. I wish Aeris took such an interest in her studies, though"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
my grandmother, a twin, posted a picture on facebook of her cousins, who are triplets

my grandmother's nephews are also triplets

all the more reason to have my tubes tied/cut/burned, i can't imagine having to deal with one infant, multiples seem like a curse from a malevolent deity

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Having kids sounds obnoxious and expensive. I like to drink beer and work on my cars and ride my bicycles and sleep and watch Netflix and do these things whenever I want. Having a kid would severely cut into this schedule. Also there's too many people in the world already.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I gooned it up pretty hard in my 20s, partyin and doin dumb poo poo and playing an absolutely enormous amount of video games.

When I had a kid at 30 allllll that time spent just felt like an overwhelmingly stupid and self-indulgent waste of my loving life.

wtf does having a kid have to do with that lol

just don't waste your loving life in the first place dang

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I would just like people to be more honest about the own lives, like their uncertainties, insecurities, and doubts. Everyone in this thread pretending their life is just the bee's knees. I'd like single people to say, yeah sometimes I feel adrift and lonely, and kidhavers to say, yeah sometimes I feel exhausted and wonder when I'll enjoy life again.

It'd be nice to have an honest conversation, but too many come in here swaggering and bragging; I think at least in part to convince themselves that they've made all the right choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think uncertainty and doubt is part of the human condition regardless of where you are and what you're doing.

I def feel adrift and lonely sometimes but I'm not gonna have kids just to fix that. I feel like if I have kids it is because I have all my poo poo together and figured out. I really feel like many people have kids either because "that's what you're supposed to do" or to "fix" something that is wrong with the relationship (or themselves) and ultimately that's not good for the kid imo.

My sister (13 years older than I am) has two kids, about 3 and 5, and it's cool being an uncle because I can just swing through and chill with the family and not have to deal with all the other negative sides to having kids. I see my sister now and she looks exhausted nonstop and I dunno that I even have it in me to devote that much time/energy to kids of my own.

• Locked thread