Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Can these secondary species be an immediate livestock source? Talking cows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They do say dog is man's best friend.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TG-Chrono posted:

Can these secondary species be an immediate livestock source? Talking cows!
A hive mind that doesn't eat other hive mind races because they only eat lower lifeforms.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Truga posted:

They do say dog is man's best friend.

We already have cat portraits where are the dog/wolf ones?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Fox is a canidae afaik, but yeah.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope hiveminds don't spam migration treaties. No, Tyranids, I really don't think you'd be a good addition to my society...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Dog Kisser posted:

Has anyone (here or elsewhere) made any progress in making a new endgame crisis? I'm almost finished working on a new portrait set for a really unusual species - it has phenotypes for every species in the vanilla game, all weirdly tainted and homogenized into the same sort of aesthetic. I've tested it a bit, and that means that all your scientists and leaders and pops all look completely different, but all are recognizably from the same 'group'. I'll post the portraits here tomorrow-ish, but ideally I'd like to use them to make some sort of weird event.

edit:

These look awesome.

As to your question, I had sketched out a bunch of plans for a new crisis mod, but it's all about psionics and more or less emulating the Fall of the Eldar from 40k so it's not something I'm touching until I know more about how the Shroud works. For all we know there's already a psionic-related crisis in Banks/Utopia.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

Finally, the Umgah will serve the Spathi. As it was always meant to be.

I wonder if you can design the helper species.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

I wonder if you can design the helper species.

Hopefully. I'd have a lot of fun designing symbiotic-style friends.

Alternatively, just dogs. Dogs are wonderful.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/834010318418358272

Looks like Armageddon bombardment stance got moved out of the tradition tree. Or maybe there's more than one way to unlock it? I like the symbol for "Citizen Service", btw.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr. Fix It posted:

I like the symbol for "Citizen Service", btw.

What is it? My glasses are being repaired, and as far as I can see it's some kind of jagged cross?

Also nthing the choice to make my own helper species. I want the little fox dudes as pals! :3:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mr. Fix It posted:

Looks like Armageddon bombardment stance got moved out of the tradition tree. Or maybe there's more than one way to unlock it?

My guess would be that Fanatical Purifiers get it "early" as part of their overall package.

eta nope, I'm wrong: https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/834011641759023104

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 21, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

What is it? My glasses are being repaired, and as far as I can see it's some kind of jagged cross?

It's basically the eagle symbol of the government in Starship Troopers.

eta: Looks a whole lot like this.

eta2: haha poo poo, just realized the ST symbol is a combination of an eagle and a bomber.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Service guarantees citizenship, after all.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I like the dynamic government names down below, they appear to be changing based on ethics.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

I like the dynamic government names down below, they appear to be changing based on ethics.

This suggests that government-based bonuses are out, and governments are derived from the properties you pick for them from Civics.

Now I just hope that the game is smart enough to convert existing government types to civics so I don't have to redo all my custom empires. :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mr. Fix It posted:

Looks like Armageddon bombardment stance got moved out of the tradition tree. Or maybe there's more than one way to unlock it? I like the symbol for "Citizen Service", btw.

Do we know what's up with the ethics symbol in the middle of the ethics wheel? Despicable Neutral?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Do we know what's up with the ethics symbol in the middle of the ethics wheel? Despicable Neutral?

lol

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Torrannor posted:

It's "Hive-minded"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GunnerJ posted:

It's basically the eagle symbol of the government in Starship Troopers.

eta: Looks a whole lot like this.

eta2: haha poo poo, just realized the ST symbol is a combination of an eagle and a bomber.

This is like fedex arrow levels of eye opening

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
So you can't be a hive mind AND a fanatic purifer? Interesting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

So you can't be a hive mind AND a fanatic purifer? Interesting.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark based on the fact that all the hive-mind civics we saw are in yellow that their civic choices might be radically different or even include hive-specific variants of other options somehow. So, no, you might not be a hive-mind and a "fanatic purifier," but you might be a hive-mind with a similar option that has a different name.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The ascetic choice for hive minds is probably just a consumer goods modifier to save you minerals.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thinking this over, I kinda feel like if hive-mind is a 3-point ethos choice, it might not be the best way to go about doing it compared to letting you choose 2 points of other ethics to determine what the hive believes (and so what "civics" it can choose). Although I can see how that would be an added-content and design nightmare given how much else they're already completely redoing from the ground up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GunnerJ posted:

Thinking this over, I kinda feel like if hive-mind is a 3-point ethos choice, it might not be the best way to go about doing it compared to letting you choose 2 points of other ethics to determine what the hive believes (and so what "civics" it can choose). Although I can see how that would be an added-content and design nightmare given how much else they're already completely redoing from the ground up.

There are good reasons for it. I'll go over them in the dev diary.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wiz posted:

There are good reasons for it. I'll go over them in the dev diary.

I have more trust in your idea of good reasons than basically any other game dev so cool.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mr. Fix It posted:

Yessss

I honestly haven't looked forward to something this much since I was waiting for Stellaris to be released.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

Mr. Fix It posted:

Does killing xeno pops with armageddon bombardment count as purifying, or do they need to be "hand purified" to gain those sweet sweet unity points?

Pretty dang stoked for Utopia; Stellaris really is shaping up to be the game that every other spaceshipgame since moo2 haven't been.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to play as a purifier in a new game I started last weekend, but diplomacy kept getting in the way and I sorta got bored. I'm super hyped for that thing lmao.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What I want to know is why are there two separate icons for (what appear to be) Autocracy in the Authority section of the new government screen in Banks.

Did they subdivide hereditary monarchies and dictatorships? What's going on there? :shrug:

Tell me your secrets mysterious orange and red icons

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It was a page or three ago but yes, monarchies and dictatorships got separated.

e: I imagine the small person icon inside the large one is the heir? :3:

vvv: Oh, welp. I'm not sure actually.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 21, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Truga posted:

It was a page or three ago but yes, monarchies and dictatorships got separated.

We actually got confirmation? I recall seeing someone speculate about it but not any Wiz based tweet or anything to back it up.

Edit: While I'm asking questions, do we know what day they're doing the dev diary on?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 21, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

I tried to play as a purifier in a new game I started last weekend, but diplomacy kept getting in the way and I sorta got bored. I'm super hyped for that thing lmao.

It all depends on whether or not you can get to a certain size or not TBH. In my playthrough as SS2's The Many, I was initially concerned with picking my targets carefully and expanding quick, so I wouldn't have to war too much and hurt literally everyone's opinion of me so quick that they'd block me before I could snowball to a huge size. But once I got to about controlling 1/5 to 1/4 of the largest galaxy type...there was pretty much no stopping me. No federation or coalition could really stand up to me, since my fleet strength just wrecking ball'd all of theirs and I could siege down their planets for warscore faster than they could mine. And this was after literally cleansing and exterminating all of my losers for 50-100 years before that point and getting -1000 opinion at least with everyone else.

The only challenge came from Awakened empires when that thing happened, and I suppose also the Unbidden had I let them go out of control (whose portal I also killed p easily early on before they got too much fleet power). So yea, if anything these bonuses kinda make me worried it could become a bit too easy lol, but...who knows, with pops no longer being as easily controllable as they were with a collectivist/spiritualist combo...maybe the challenge will start to come also from within to balance it out.

But it's most certainly a good argument for why being able to get Fanatical Purifier bonuses ontop of any Hive Mind bonuses, of not having to worry about factions for example, would be ridiculously OP and a solid argument for Hive Minds being a 3 point choice.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 21, 2017

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Truga posted:

I look forward to creating the Krikkit and purging the entire universe.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Picked this up again last night and forgot about the whole Colony Ship will only be offered once thing... great. new stuff looks cool but do we think it will address the game getting dull in the mid to late game?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BigPaddy posted:

Picked this up again last night and forgot about the whole Colony Ship will only be offered once thing... great. new stuff looks cool but do we think it will address the game getting dull in the mid to late game?

With the upcoming expansion you just start with colony tech.

Can't wait.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Looked over the Utopia features and Habitat Stations :fap: finally an option beyond restart when you get dropped in a cluster of systems with only a couple of habitable planets and providing a way to make a core industrial sector to push out ships to go a purgin' with.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Tarquinn posted:

Whoa. :monocle:

How long did that take?

...A while! In practice, it's not every species in the game, because some of them are designed to only work with clothing - their art actually finishes just below the shoulder - but it's 90% of them, coming to something like ninety variations. I think in the pregen country I'm making for them they'll be effective fanatic xenophiles AND fanatic individualists - they want to spread as far and wide as possible and insinuate themselves into every empire they can - but they also have a boosted Repugnant, so other people will hate being around them. If I can't make them an endgame crisis, I can make them a mid-game pain in the rear end.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Started a new game last night trying to scratch the itch. Exploring is fun, initial colonization and expansion is really fun. I was playing xenophobes and rivaling everyone so 3 powers formed a defense pact around me. Eventually something shocking happened, something that's only happened to me once before in all my games of stellaris. They actually declared war on me.

I was a bit worried because I had a 4k fleet and they each had 2.5-3k fleets. I got excited that finally something interesting was happening. Then I remembered how bad war is in stellaris. How it's probably the worst war and combat system of any paradox game, both in terms of the enemy AI, the feedback and ability to see what the heck is going on, and our options as a player.

No one sends a fleet for quite some time so I go on the offensive, this draws out one of their 3k fleets and my 4k fleets absolutely smashes it because the poor fools didn't get the memo on missiles being useless. To get warscore I need to invade planets, which means ground combat. During this time I'm getting constant enemy fleet warnings. Are these fleets serious or not? No idea, have to mouse-over every fleet to find out. It's all little 100-200 power fleets of a few ships pointlessly buzzing around. It's random groups of troop transports zipping about pointlessly that I have to destroy. The enemy just fills their space with random junk flying in random directions. It's not effective at fighting the war, but it's extremely effective in demoralizing the player. Eventually I conquer 2 more worlds while dealing with a never ending spam of tiny fleets. During the entire very long war their 2 other allies never set foot in my territory despite surrounding me and having direct borders.

What in any other paradox game would have been a difficult and interesting situation with clear geography, fronts, key provinces, and interesting battles was of course a confusing hard to manage mess where the war is settled in the first moments as our doom stacks meet in a random unplanned system then years of whack a mole and ground combat micro.

I'm really excited about this huge DLC but war/combat/movement/peace needs just as much of an overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The impression I'm getting is that government bonuses have been replaced altogether by civics

• Locked thread