Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh holy fuckballs the front of the car slopes downwards towards the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

sure does look like one of them f1 cars

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what EVEN

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think it might be the ugliest f1 car I've seen in 30 years.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wicka posted:

what EVEN

Must be a vanity plate covering some innovation they reckon they've got, otherwise I don't know what the gently caress

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wicka posted:

what EVEN

The hideous aero device or the SMP Racing logo?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

The hideous aero device or the SMP Racing logo?

The gigantic, square bargeboard the SMP Racing logo is printed on.

Tsaedje posted:

Must be a vanity plate covering some innovation they reckon they've got, otherwise I don't know what the gently caress

Probably right.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

what EVEN

"Hey Rob we need some sort of aero device for the side pod, how about those lovely plastic kids forks? "

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Definitely has a bit of "French automotive styling" going on... :barf:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Nill posted:

Definitely has a bit of "French automotive styling" going on... :barf:

Steve Wonder forums account spotted.

:gizz:

I like how both teams unveiled so far have painted the shark fin black, Dick-nose Caterham style. I was "meh" about the sauber other than its 90s-era williams paint scheme, but this Renault looks great to me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The first word that comes to mind with that car is "minging"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That fin looks loving cool from the side.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If i'm getting anything from the new cars its how badly the shark fin is ruining the potential look of them. Someone with more talent than i please try photoshopping them out, and i think you'll agree. If the roll hoop and rear wing were the highest points on the car they'd look a million times more sleek

Norns posted:

That fin looks loving cool from the side.

Yea renault did good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Watching a bunch of LMP warmed me up to fins.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Actually looks pretty ... interesting. I think I like the look of it? What I don't like is how black and yellow were applied to the car. Holy gently caress, what a horrible pattern. And those driver suits? Are you guys for gently caress serious?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Paint the whole car yellow like last year and it looks way better imo

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Reminds me of the 2009 ING Renault in how clumsy it looks (sorry nickthenorse if you still lurk)

I like that and the '08 car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Those are the faces of two drivers just really suprised and grateful that they have a race seat of any kind.

Hulkenberg would definitely have a seat somewhere in F1, I think.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Actually looks pretty ... interesting. I think I like the look of it? What I don't like is how black and yellow were applied to the car. Holy gently caress, what a horrible pattern. And those driver suits? Are you guys for gently caress serious?

Yeah the color scheme isn't doing it any favors. It's a shame because last year the car looked quite good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The car would be better with more yellow, otherwise it doesn't look too bad. I like the Sauber as well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

They look better than the 2014 cars for sure

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The little kid in me says "Wait, does the fin turn back and forth when the car turns because that would be tight as hell"

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think the car looks alright. There is a lot going on but I've seen worse

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

The little kid in me says "Wait, does the fin turn back and forth when the car turns because that would be tight as hell"

Like the Golden Fox from F-Zero?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Active areo ban :argh:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Why can't ferrari whine about something useful and get shark fins banned?

Jesus gently caress another year of those awkward things.
2016 cars with 2017 tyres and wings were sexy.
2017 cars are to this point a garbage fire of extra aero parts everywhere.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gallery-renault-rs17-in-full-detail-875650/#image-the-renault-sport-f1-team-rs17-11861514

Proper gallery. This car looks absolutely crazy from certain angles.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What extra areo pieces are you talking about beyond the fin and Renault mystery side thing?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Norns posted:

Active areo ban :argh:

This, times a thousand. If formula one doesn't have active aero and active suspension in the next regulations shake-up I'll be seriously disappointed.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Actually gently caress you guys. These cars are cool

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I'll reverse my opinion on shark fins when a team figures out how to make theirs glow and leave a light trail like Tron.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Butt looks nice.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is it some kind of optical illusion that the shark fin on the Renault looks like it's sloping upwards? Looks like such an awkward design detail.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wiltsghost posted:

Butt looks nice.

I'm guessing exhaust is going to start influencing aero again if it terminates so so far in front of the rear wing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Is it some kind of optical illusion that the shark fin on the Renault looks like it's sloping upwards? Looks like such an awkward design detail.

Must be an illusion. The shark fins are usually as high as they can make them and the maximum height of the car is delimited by a flat plane.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

Must be an illusion. The shark fins are usually as high as they can make them and the maximum height of the car is delimited by a flat plane.

Makes sense, probably a combination of aggressive rake and the sloping rear wing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The weird bargeboard seems to be splitting the flow so some of it goes through a sculpted channel under the sidepod

my own MSpaint interpretation

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Man, that's actually a gorgeous looking vehicle. Pity about the livery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The drat thing's front end looks ugly as gently caress and the god awful yellow makes it look even worse. The lumpy thing slopes up towards the weird hump thing above the suspension and then steps down towards it's clit nose ffs.

• Locked thread