Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm using SPMC on the Shield, and the game controller stopped working. It still works in other apps. And it definitely worked before. Anyone else encountered this?

I'm back to Kodi as they seem to have resolved the Android issues and I've not noticed SPMC updating in quite a while.

Not saying that this is a fix but just fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
SPMC hasn't been updated to Krypton and likely won't be for awhile judging by the roadmap. I decided to give Estuary a shot so I reinstalled Kodi on the Shield TV along with the PlexKodiConnect addon. I'm still getting used to Estuary, I came from using Amber on Jarvis which is a fantastic skin. Overall it seems like Estuary does most of what I need in a default interface but lacks some customization options. I'm really tired of finding great skins which never get updated so I'm going to stick with this for awhile and force myself to get used to it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The only issue I have with the new skin is that when I use the pseudoTV plug in, my "continue watching" list is littered with all the shows and movies that the Add on loaded up.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I'm back to Kodi as they seem to have resolved the Android issues and I've not noticed SPMC updating in quite a while.

Not saying that this is a fix but just fyi

The last commit on GitHub was 12 days ago, I'm not worried. If I have reason to believe that a bug in SPMC that's not in Kodi is giving me trouble, I'll switch, but otherwise I can't be bothered. The fact that SPMC is developed for the Shield specifically is enough to keep me on board for now.

And yeah, I don't think there was an actual update to the SPMC app so I'm not sure why the controller stopped working. Something makes me think it's a Shield thing, but who knows.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
Sorry for interrupting but I have some questions about getting KODI with Exodus up and running for my TV.

This is what I have equipment wise:

Panasonic smart TV Viera with Netflix and Amazon Prime apps already loaded. wireless hookup.
Panasonic home theater sound system.
Old PC which use to run as Windows Home Server (headless). Has four 500g HDD, Supermicro X8SIL-F mobo with Xeon chip.

This is what I want to do.

I want to run a HTPC media server to keep movies on (rip the DVDs I have). Thought the old WMS pc might work for that.
Run KODI on a separate box and stream movies from the HTPC.
Have a DVR cuz screw TWC and their rental box crap.
I would consider a KODI box or do a build.
I need suggestions on hardware to do a KODI media box. mobo, chip, graphics card, TV tuner, etc

Is the information on the OP's first thread still good? It looks like it hasn't been updated in four years.

Try to explain this to someone who has grown up in the age of changing channels with a pair of pliers.

Thanks!

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

RazNation posted:

Sorry for interrupting but I have some questions about getting KODI with Exodus up and running for my TV.

This is what I have equipment wise:

Panasonic smart TV Viera with Netflix and Amazon Prime apps already loaded. wireless hookup.
Panasonic home theater sound system.
Old PC which use to run as Windows Home Server (headless). Has four 500g HDD, Supermicro X8SIL-F mobo with Xeon chip.

This is what I want to do.

I want to run a HTPC media server to keep movies on (rip the DVDs I have). Thought the old WMS pc might work for that.
Run KODI on a separate box and stream movies from the HTPC.
Have a DVR cuz screw TWC and their rental box crap.
I would consider a KODI box or do a build.
I need suggestions on hardware to do a KODI media box. mobo, chip, graphics card, TV tuner, etc

Is the information on the OP's first thread still good? It looks like it hasn't been updated in four years.

Try to explain this to someone who has grown up in the age of changing channels with a pair of pliers.

Thanks!

You can install Kodi with exodus on a $40 amazon firestick. If you think you need something more this is a short list of the most popular devices for kodi https://www.tvaddons.ag/androidtv-kodi-boxes/ the instuctions on how to set up kodi on a firestick can also be found on that site.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I have 4 fire sticks (3 first gen, 1 second gen). They all run Kodi. I only really use kodi for streaming DVDs I've ripped and kids TV shows that aren't on streaming services anymore. I'm about to get a NAS so I'm going to have to reconfigure everything really soon anyway.

Is there an easy way to set everything up in once place and have the other installs sync up? (say I add another share to the NAS that I want Kodi to see-- I don't want to type in the UNC path 4 times with an amazon remote control)

Also, I'd like to be able to set up some sort of "kid mode" where they can only see/use the shows and movies I say they can use.

edit: oh yeah, how come I can't get dolby digital working? It works on netflix-- so not a hardware/android issue, and I turned on aduio passthrough. I get a second or so of static before the sound starts, in stereo.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

TomR posted:

I made an MSPaint to show the problem I have more clearly. I exaggerated the difference so you can see it clearly, it's not that bad, but it is noticeable.

I always have the TV and Kodi set the same so it isn't a miss match problem. The movie it's self looks better under limited, but it's like Kodi is still running it's UI and letterboxes in full range or something. The TV has a few options to control the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. So I can crush the letterboxes to black, but that also crushes shadows on the movie.

I fixed this issue. I had to force the Intel drivers to full range for the desktop, and for video. Kodi and TV are set to limited. What was happening is the video was limited, which looked correct, but the letterboxs were limited in Kodi and also being limited again by the Intel drivers so black was washed out just on the letterboxs. So FYI Intel drivers have two places you can set color range.

Blacks look amazing now and I'm very happy. I've only had the TV set wrong for a few years :v:

Edit: I said I had the Intel drivers set to force limited on video, which was wrong. Both driver setting to full and Kodi and TV to limited.

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 27, 2017

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
For a shared library, you're probably best to look at Emby, or maybe setting up the MySQL backend. As far as restricting content, you can do that with Emby, but I found it to be a pain when I was trying to do it by rating, because the ratings system is really weird, and there's no way to deny unrated content. So I spent hours going through my collection, hand tagging with custom ratings, and then realized that fell apart every time I added something new. What I did was make curated collections on my NAS that include symlinks to the exact shows and movies I want my son to see, and add those collections to the library. That way, by default, any new content is denied, and I can easily add new stuff.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

edit: oh yeah, how come I can't get dolby digital working? It works on netflix-- so not a hardware/android issue, and I turned on aduio passthrough. I get a second or so of static before the sound starts, in stereo.

I have the opposite issue but my PS4 can play Dolby from Netflix and Amazon with no issue. I think it may be that my sound bar is older and can't do the newer AC3 audio format in Android.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I got a new laptop last week and have been having some issues with it using Kodi. With my old laptop (inferior in every conceivable way) I could use my lovely monitor connected to the computer and watch Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, whatever, but with this new laptop all that works except for Kodi. Or rather, it works, but only if Kodi is the active window. If I click away to write an email, or post here, or whatever, the video on Kodi starts lagging behind the audio and eventually audio cuts off as well. If I click back to Kodi the video will fast forward and catch up to the audio. So I end up continually clicking back and forth between windows just to keep things playing. This happens whether I'm watching local content or streaming (like ESPN3 or Food Network Add Ons).

I've searched around a little bit, but haven't found anybody with similar issues. Do you guys know what might be going on here? Or maybe even what search terms I should be using to find a solution?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
No guarantees on if this will help, but try Settings -> system -> video output -> use fullscreen window, if you don't have it enabled already. Beyond that, what video hardware is in each laptop? If you had a dedicated GPU on the old one, for example, and are using built in Intel video on the new, that could cause what you're describing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh... yeah the old laptop did have some crappy radeon graphics card while the new one has intel integrated graphics. I thought the old one was just an integrated card as well, but now that I'm looking I guess not.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!
Not terribly sure if this is the right place to ask this or not:

Are there android boxes that have hardware mpeg2 decoding?
I am trying to find an android TV box that will let me load Kodi, netflix, etc as an app, but have the hardware mpeg2 so that I can watch the various cable channels (from the HDHomeRun Prime) without the weird interlacing that currently occurs when I use an Amazon Fire TV with Kodi. The RPi2 I have on another TV works great, I was just hoping to purchase a single box for an extra TV that would work well enough.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Savant posted:

Not terribly sure if this is the right place to ask this or not:

Are there android boxes that have hardware mpeg2 decoding?
I am trying to find an android TV box that will let me load Kodi, netflix, etc as an app, but have the hardware mpeg2 so that I can watch the various cable channels (from the HDHomeRun Prime) without the weird interlacing that currently occurs when I use an Amazon Fire TV with Kodi. The RPi2 I have on another TV works great, I was just hoping to purchase a single box for an extra TV that would work well enough.

Android has the Mpeg2 codec built in as of Android 6. The Nexus Player received it via this patch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any good add-ons for legitimately free tv available in Canada (I don't care what country it's from, only that it's in English)? I know sites like Global have some free shows even time-limited, being locked away after a week to people with cable subscriptions, and that's fine. CTV unfortunately requires a subscription right off the bat that sucks.

I just kind of want a one-stop add-on that scours for all of those channels that put their stuff up online, even with ads.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

YouTuber posted:

Android has the Mpeg2 codec built in as of Android 6. The Nexus Player received it via this patch.

Hardware decoding is what he wants.

The Shield will do this. It works really well with Live Channels, and the latter now supports the HDHR and DVR/pause - though in the case of the Prime I don't know if it supports flagged channels or not.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Does the Mi Box have MPEG2 decoding? That could be a cheaper solution than the Shield

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

Does the Mi Box have MPEG2 decoding? That could be a cheaper solution than the Shield

Yes. Although there are a lot of people over at AVSForum who regret getting one - slow support, missing streaming options, lots of sideloading workarounds, etc. It's decent, and the only real alternative to the Shield....but for a hundred or so bucks more you can just get the Shield and not have to deal with any poo poo at all.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

Ixian posted:

Yes. Although there are a lot of people over at AVSForum who regret getting one - slow support, missing streaming options, lots of sideloading workarounds, etc. It's decent, and the only real alternative to the Shield....but for a hundred or so bucks more you can just get the Shield and not have to deal with any poo poo at all.

The financial discussion and not dealing with bullshit are the ones that make more sense for me. I am not that excited about the mibox , and at $200 for a shield ehhhhh. If I end up paying $60 for a raspberry pi 3 ( board, sdcard, power supply), and $40 for a fire stick, I could probably be fine with that. I can do two sets of those for one shield and just figure out working Kodi with cable TV.

I do appreciate the answers though, I was trying to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Internet Savant posted:

I do appreciate the answers though, I was trying to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Could you upgrade your HDHomeRun to the new transcoding model? https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-extend/

(but I guess at that price, you could just get the shield)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 24, 2017

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
This might be a stupid question, but couldn't you just enable deinterlacing in Kodi?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I am just having a stressful time with Sonarr and trying to put my Rifftrax Shorts into it. I saw that TheTVDB has a "season" setup for the shorts, and I figured this would be the easiest way to import all of the shorts I have with the info/nfo files done for me (I have almost 250 shorts). However, I can't figure out how to make Sonarr work with this. I'm downloading the files from Rifftrax's site, but I can't seem to get Sonarr to see these files. I've even moved them into the folder where they should end up, but to no effect. I have the season folders turned off, and named the files "Rifftrax - 4x220 - BatmanvWizardorwhatever.mp4", but Sonarr doesn't seem to have an import from (system Downloads) folder option, and it doesn't see them in E:/Rifftrax/Shorts/. Does anyone know of a better way?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ixian posted:

My biggest issue is stuttering - it's really noticeable when text is moving across the screen.

I'd love a shield, but it's hard to justify $150+ for something I'd just use as a streaming box.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

This might be a stupid question, but couldn't you just enable deinterlacing in Kodi?

I am pretty sure deinterlacing is actually turned on, the picture quality actually looks plenty good enough for things that are not sports or fast moving pictures. But, when watching anything sport related, horizontal motion just looks weird (very small tearing of the picture), and it is enough to bother me and it's hard to unsee it. However, I will check the settings later today and see if that is an issue.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

My biggest issue is stuttering - it's really noticeable when text is moving across the screen.

I'd love a shield, but it's hard to justify $150+ for something I'd just use as a streaming box.

It does so much more and has a lot of headroom for the future but fair enough. I went through 5 different boxes before settling on the Shield, I paid like $200+ Canadian and still have no regrets.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

IUG posted:

I am just having a stressful time with Sonarr and trying to put my Rifftrax Shorts into it. I saw that TheTVDB has a "season" setup for the shorts, and I figured this would be the easiest way to import all of the shorts I have with the info/nfo files done for me (I have almost 250 shorts). However, I can't figure out how to make Sonarr work with this. I'm downloading the files from Rifftrax's site, but I can't seem to get Sonarr to see these files. I've even moved them into the folder where they should end up, but to no effect. I have the season folders turned off, and named the files "Rifftrax - 4x220 - BatmanvWizardorwhatever.mp4", but Sonarr doesn't seem to have an import from (system Downloads) folder option, and it doesn't see them in E:/Rifftrax/Shorts/. Does anyone know of a better way?

Change it from Shorts to Season 4, and point Sonarr at just E:/Rifftrax, I think that'll work.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Internet Savant posted:

I am pretty sure deinterlacing is actually turned on, the picture quality actually looks plenty good enough for things that are not sports or fast moving pictures. But, when watching anything sport related, horizontal motion just looks weird (very small tearing of the picture), and it is enough to bother me and it's hard to unsee it. However, I will check the settings later today and see if that is an issue.

Tearing of picture on horizontal pans? Sounds to me like you need to check that the refresh rate of your Kodi matches that of the display. If it appears only on TV-source material (NTSC, 30Hz), perhaps Kodi is outputting everything at 24Hz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ixian posted:

Hardware decoding is what he wants.

The Shield will do this. It works really well with Live Channels, and the latter now supports the HDHR and DVR/pause - though in the case of the Prime I don't know if it supports flagged channels or not.

And Hardware Decoding is what was added in Android 6/M.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

YouTuber posted:

And Hardware Decoding is what was added in Android 6/M.

Only if the underlying hardware supports it. Not all do which was his question.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
New Kodi user here! Just got into this a few days ago after trying out Jriver on my new HTCP, and I'm thinking Kodi is more my speed. Got my huge-ish music library added, and a couple of movies. Really enjoying the BOX skin at the moment.

Regarding music - any tips on getting artist fanart working? That's the term for those slick background images when you scroll/play a song by a given artist, right? I tried looking through the Kodi user wiki but am still a bit confused about where to start. I do have the "Artist Slideshow" add-on enabled, and it looks like there are options to automatically download art based on metadata. Beyond that I'm hitting a wall though. My search for a proper guide has led me to the Kodi forums, MusicBrainz, a program called Picard, a website called fanart.tv, and it's all a bit overwhelming. If anyone could nudge me in the right direction or just direct me to a step-by-step guide/video/etc, that'd be great!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Change it from Shorts to Season 4, and point Sonarr at just E:/Rifftrax, I think that'll work.

Yes this did, thank you!

My next question that I couldn't find one the wiki; Is there a tag for the .nfo file to have a custom start/stop time for a video file? I would like to trim off Rifftrax's opening intro and end before the copyright notice comes up. I couldn't find anything about this however.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
There's no tag for it, but what you could do is modify all the video files to have a chapter marker right at the end of the intro. If you know the length of the intro segment, it'd be pretty trivial to script. As far as cutting off the copyright, another chapter marker wouldn't cut it, because it'll just keep playing. I don't have a solution for that one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I assume it's an April fools joke, but the Kodi domain shows a seized by ICE page.

It's a stupid loving joke if it's actually a joke, because I just sit down to try and update my kodi adding and change my skins around, but you can't download any adding because they're served off the kodi.tv domain.

So thanks for wasting my time, kodi.

(my guess is they're trying to make a point about distancing themselves from all the pirating poo poo.)

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Went to look at Kodi's twitter to see any mention of the April fools and instead was entertained by their sass

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I assume it's an April fools joke, but the Kodi domain shows a seized by ICE page.

It's a stupid loving joke if it's actually a joke, because I just sit down to try and update my kodi adding and change my skins around, but you can't download any adding because they're served off the kodi.tv domain.

So thanks for wasting my time, kodi.

(my guess is they're trying to make a point about distancing themselves from all the pirating poo poo.)

From https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/62os7s/site_down/

If you are trying to install addons that are not working because of unmet dependencies this is because the basic addons/scripts hosted on the kodi.tv site are down and so the other addons are failing when they try to install those scripts. Try to install the addon and watch which script/dependency fails, then you can download and install that script by going here: https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/xbmc/addons/krypton/script.module.beautifulsoup/

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
It's an awesome prank, for two reasons: The obvious one, where they are making a point about just how tired they are about being tied to all the "Fully loaded Kodi box" poo poo, which is currently making waves in the UK thanks to the Premier League lawsuits, and the meta-prank, where everyone gets pissed at them because the free site that's been providing free software to millions for years isn't available exactly when they want it.

It is inconvenient, sure, but I suspect that is the point they are trying to make....

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ixian posted:

It's an awesome prank, for two reasons: The obvious one, where they are making a point about just how tired they are about being tied to all the "Fully loaded Kodi box" poo poo, which is currently making waves in the UK thanks to the Premier League lawsuits, and the meta-prank, where everyone gets pissed at them because the free site that's been providing free software to millions for years isn't available exactly when they want it.

It is inconvenient, sure, but I suspect that is the point they are trying to make....

Yeah its hilarious to waste peoples time who are fully supportive of Kodi being fed up with the stupid pirate boxes and who've made multiple donations to the Kodi over the years. Hilarious I say.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It is surprising that they'd take the entire site down (kodi.tv/download no longer exists) rather than just have a fake frontpage. Maybe they are using this as an excuse for some backend work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Team Kodi are the saddest nerds. They should have just kept it Linux-only if they hate being bothered so much.