Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd not be surprised if Sabines story and Thrawn's plan dovetale at the end of the season, with some big thing at Mandalore that both frees the Mandos but also really fucks up the Rebels, probably killing the leadership or something.

Also, I discovered that in the New Canon, the Fetts aren't Mandalorians, but actually guys who just have the armor, Mandoboos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Mostly this episode made me really want a third season of Rome. Even if it were an animated one!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Colonial Air Force posted:

Mostly this episode made me really want a third season of Rome. Even if it were an animated one!

I have this thought every time Fenn Rau is on screen.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPoqQfG5Qdk&feature=youtu.be

poo poo like this bothers me because it serves to narrow the vision, plundering and repurposing what already exists as opposed to actually trying something different.

Flash Gordon through the crucible of Campbell with some Zen dust thrown in is pretty cool. Going back and trying to recapture that lightening in the bottle through hollow recreation is dumb.

Each season of Rebels gets worse and worse because they keep doing more and more of that. The first season was awesome. Swashbucklers in space! You have a whole Jedi/Apprentice thing because this is Star Wars and you just aren't going to be able to avoid that but for the most part it was new and exciting. It was all in the same universe but it gave a look at a different slice of the whole thing.

Then season two came along. It had a lot more Clone Wars callbacks and sure, it was fun, but it shrank the vision. Instead of swashbucklers in space it was the grand space opera of Clone Wars writ small. Stocking the cast with characters we've seen before is bad enough but making it every Star Wars story ever makes it dull.

Season three has been much worse because it's all that plus a bunch of fanservice towards the books and other things best left forgotten. The universe gets smaller (again) and now it's just one of those "Not Another Movie" movies played straight where instead of actually doing something it's just referencing older ideas that were new at one time.

Han Solo backstory but they're Banksy gets a redemption arc where they are the chosen one. Like every other person in Star Wars ever.

Boring.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

poo poo like this bothers me because it serves to narrow the vision, plundering and repurposing what already exists as opposed to actually trying something different.

Flash Gordon through the crucible of Campbell with some Zen dust thrown in is pretty cool. Going back and trying to recapture that lightening in the bottle through hollow recreation is dumb.

Each season of Rebels gets worse and worse because they keep doing more and more of that. The first season was awesome. Swashbucklers in space! You have a whole Jedi/Apprentice thing because this is Star Wars and you just aren't going to be able to avoid that but for the most part it was new and exciting. It was all in the same universe but it gave a look at a different slice of the whole thing.

Then season two came along. It had a lot more Clone Wars callbacks and sure, it was fun, but it shrank the vision. Instead of swashbucklers in space it was the grand space opera of Clone Wars writ small. Stocking the cast with characters we've seen before is bad enough but making it every Star Wars story ever makes it dull.

Season three has been much worse because it's all that plus a bunch of fanservice towards the books and other things best left forgotten. The universe gets smaller (again) and now it's just one of those "Not Another Movie" movies played straight where instead of actually doing something it's just referencing older ideas that were new at one time.

Han Solo backstory but they're Banksy gets a redemption arc where they are the chosen one. Like every other person in Star Wars ever.

Boring.
________________________/

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

While I have been enjoying these recent episodes, I will say I don't care nearly as much about ~MANDALORE~ as the show seems to want me to.

Honestly, I was more invested in the fate of Lothal and that place was a hole.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah it was a mistake leaving Lothal at all. I want a show just about rebels being rebels. The Onderon arc in TCW was great, Empire day was great, whenever they've gone back to Lothal it's been great.

I still like the show, but I do wish it were the Jedi loving off, not Sabine.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

I know you aren't speaking about what that dude's theory is, but I wouldn't get worked up over some fan theory video. I don't put much stock into that one. He cites stuff that Pablo Hidalgo has written, but Hidalgo himself has tweeted, "I don't get the 'gray Jedi' thing. You're either a Jedi or you're not. It's like being a 'gray vegetarian' who eats meat." Hidalgo also said, "It's the label that's confounding. I'm sure many have strayed from the path but they do not call themselves Jedi." This YouTuber calls Ahsoka a "grey Jedi" but she wasn't a Jedi. He also says that The Last Jedi refers to Luke, but we know from foreign titles that Jedi in the title is plural. In his argument he fills in a lot of blanks with supposition and stretches things until they meet. He's far too confident in his theory considering how much he got wrong, got from the old canon, or essentially made up. This is unrelated to your point, but I just want to add that the vast majority of fan theories are by dorks with more enthusiasm for their own fan fiction ideas than the good sense to realize how they're wrong.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

I realize that there is some irony in posting that only one page after I posted speculation that the show might be ending after this season, but at least that had a wondering-out-loud kind of stance rather than actually being confident in my own theory and actively trying to convince others that it'll come true.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sabine will be gone for a couple of episodes, poo poo will hit the fan, Darksabre unites, Mandalorians merked left and right, Sabine and Hermanodalorian escape. But homeslice doesn't make it.

Dark Saber goes to Vader for the pool room.

$10.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

cptn_dr posted:

I have this thought every time Fenn Rau is on screen.

Yes, but when he's also on screen with Gar Saxon, it's even more on point.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yes, but when he's also on screen with Gar Saxon, it's even more on point.

How many Mandalorians does it take to start a rebellion?

THIRTEEN!!! :black101:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Minnesota Manatee posted:

This is unrelated to your point, but I just want to add that the vast majority of fan theories are by dorks with more enthusiasm for their own fan fiction ideas than the good sense to realize how they're wrong.

I agree. My issue is that a lot of the new material is being made by fans like that though. I adore the MacQuarrie call-backs but instead of something "new" (even if that "new" thing is just a re-purposing of something old that people have forgotten about) it's just "here's concept art from Star Wars brought to life, love it nerds!"

It's a problem that has gotten worse and worse in Rebels. I get that people like Boba Fett (what kid didn't think he was the coolest?) but the show is presenting Mandalore like I have some buy-in there. I don't. As others have said, leaving Lothal was a mistake.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

It just struck me that it's odd no Rebel's characters are in Galaxy of Heroes (the fairly fun and not as evil as most mobile games unless you want to get into high level competitive play). There are Clone Wars characters like Cade Bane, Ashoka and Fiver, but no Sabine, Kanaan, Kallus or whoever.

Eh, I think they'll get around to them eventually. An upcoming event adds Darth Nihilus from KOTOR II, so I think they just plan on slowly working through their massive character list. poo poo, we're still using "Clone Wars Chewbacca" and Luke Skywalker as seen on Tatooine with a rifle, even though Cloud City Luke is in the game, just not playable. They're focusing on a long game for this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

sniper4625 posted:

Always a good time.

I just noticed that the guy on the right in the foreground has blaster earrings.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Covok posted:

I just noticed that the guy on the right in the foreground has blaster earrings.

Yeah, blaster earings is everyone's favorite detail in that picture. Well, that and the fact that he's seated next to Eugene Levy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, I think they'll get around to them eventually. An upcoming event adds Darth Nihilus from KOTOR II, so I think they just plan on slowly working through their massive character list. poo poo, we're still using "Clone Wars Chewbacca" and Luke Skywalker as seen on Tatooine with a rifle, even though Cloud City Luke is in the game, just not playable. They're focusing on a long game for this.

Yea i goth the Sith Assassian from the event, waiting for Nihilus event to open right now.

And yea, adding new characters is probably the best way to get people to spend money on mobile games. According to someone on reddit, it would have taken $100k to max out Krennic and the Death Trooper, and I'd not be surprised a few people paid that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i goth the Sith Assassian from the event, waiting for Nihilus event to open right now.

And yea, adding new characters is probably the best way to get people to spend money on mobile games. According to someone on reddit, it would have taken $100k to max out Krennic and the Death Trooper, and I'd not be surprised a few people paid that.

Yeah, I'm blown away by what people pay for this. I remember when General Grevious was first introduced, I thought it would take months until people built up enough shards to blow in the shard shop to get him up to speed. Later that day, someone in my guild introduced his level 7 Grevious. I can't imagine what he spent to do that.

Like, the game is slow moving if you freeplay it, but it's completely possible. I just have to be okay with the fact that I will get a level 7 Darth Vader sometime around the heat death of the universe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I'm blown away by what people pay for this. I remember when General Grevious was first introduced, I thought it would take months until people built up enough shards to blow in the shard shop to get him up to speed. Later that day, someone in my guild introduced his level 7 Grevious. I can't imagine what he spent to do that.

Like, the game is slow moving if you freeplay it, but it's completely possible. I just have to be okay with the fact that I will get a level 7 Darth Vader sometime around the heat death of the universe.

I haven't spent a cent and I feel like i'm getting enough enjoyment out of it. Unlike Future Fight where they keep putting all my favorite characters behind paywalls.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, blaster earings is everyone's favorite detail in that picture. Well, that and the fact that he's seated next to Eugene Levy.

No one ever mentions Young Stalin on the left.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shbobdb posted:

I agree. My issue is that a lot of the new material is being made by fans like that though. I adore the MacQuarrie call-backs but instead of something "new" (even if that "new" thing is just a re-purposing of something old that people have forgotten about) it's just "here's concept art from Star Wars brought to life, love it nerds!"

It's a problem that has gotten worse and worse in Rebels. I get that people like Boba Fett (what kid didn't think he was the coolest?) but the show is presenting Mandalore like I have some buy-in there. I don't. As others have said, leaving Lothal was a mistake.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Lenin is there too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasn't there some backstory about Boba being the very last of his people at one point? I feel like they're setting that up a little bit, if most/all the Mandalorians die in the coming Thrawn-pocalypse it'd leave Boba (and Rex, indirectly?) as some of the few surviving Mandalorians.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rebels is only getting better and I'm gonna hate seeing all these characters bite it. I wish the episodes weren't so goddamn short tho.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Icon Of Sin posted:

Wasn't there some backstory about Boba being the very last of his people at one point? I feel like they're setting that up a little bit, if most/all the Mandalorians die in the coming Thrawn-pocalypse it'd leave Boba (and Rex, indirectly?) as some of the few surviving Mandalorians.

There was, but for Jango, not Boba. And it was a VERY minor backstory that was almost immediately overwritten a dozen times over in Legends canon before the next movie could even come out. Literally the only explicit source that I know for it is the flavor text on Durge's action figure from the 2D Clone Wars series. It's so obscure that I honestly can't imagine Disney bringing it back as a thing.

At least, not as an intentional reference.

Speaking of which! I was super jazzed up this episode to hear them use actual snippets of Mando'a, rather than just going with generic alienspeak. Didn't want to rewatch purely to decipher it all, but I definitely caught a few words in my one viewing. Thought it was a cool little bit of fanservice to throw in. :D

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
If they were going to make him the last of the Mandos they should at least give him his dinosaur back.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah it was a mistake leaving Lothal at all. I want a show just about rebels being rebels. The Onderon arc in TCW was great, Empire day was great, whenever they've gone back to Lothal it's been great.

I still like the show, but I do wish it were the Jedi loving off, not Sabine.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Star Wars has always been about interplanetary conflict at a galactic scale. Back in Season 1 when they were dicking around in Lothal, their struggle felt futile and utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It was only when they joined forces with Ahsoka that everything started to have impact and purpose.

I do agree that the Mandalore arc has been a bit of a bore, but the show as a whole is an order of magnitude better in every way compared to Season 1.

As a side note, holy moly the animation team has been nailing the attention-to-detail. Everything, from the way the characters' feet sank in the snow as they walked, to the smoke that rose out of the interlocked lightsabers, was perfect in this episode.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

enraged_camel posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Star Wars has always been about interplanetary conflict at a galactic scale. Back in Season 1 when they were dicking around in Lothal, their struggle felt futile and utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It was only when they joined forces with Ahsoka that everything started to have impact and purpose.

I do agree that the Mandalore arc has been a bit of a bore, but the show as a whole is an order of magnitude better in every way compared to Season 1.

Yeah, so it would have been interesting to see one small part that only tries to be one small part of an interstellar conflict. :shrug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't see how they could have dragged enough stories out of just Lothal to last more than two seasons

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

twistedmentat was correct in their post at the top of this page, the Fetts weren't Mandalorians. This comes from George Lucas himself, via David Filoni. Jango Fett was just a poser, and that's been canon ever since the second season of Clone Wars. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jango_Fett

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's a shame the writing has been so clanky throughout. Particularly this season where they just drop a character quirk or motivation onto someone like it had always been a thing.

I watch it and it's. .. fun enough but aside from a few standout moments it's never really found is voice. It's never interesting or creative in the way clone wars was.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Much less handsome than the real deal

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, handsome bastard. Bet he was caught in many a hay loft.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

I don't see how they could have dragged enough stories out of just Lothal to last more than two seasons

Yeah, this. Given the tone of Rebels (and Rogue One later) towards the Empire, you could really only skate on one, maybe two seasons on Lothal before the Empire came down really hard. Especially with Jedi present who knockoff an Imperial Inquisitor.

Otherwise, the Imperials just come off as incompetent villains....which you could do in a Star Wars cartoon but they never steered Rebels in that direction.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, so it would have been interesting to see one small part that only tries to be one small part of an interstellar conflict. :shrug:

It was interesting to see... for about half a season. Then it got boring, as the writers had to portray the Empire as more and more incompetent in order to justify the band of rebels never getting caught and executed.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The imperial brass cracking down on the local authorities was a surprising turn. In particular my jaw dropped when the defecting minister was killed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Roach Warehouse posted:

The imperial brass cracking down on the local authorities was a surprising turn. In particular my jaw dropped when the defecting minister was killed.

I mean, it's an empire. If it is to thrive, it has to keep all its bits and pieces in line

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Minnesota Manatee posted:

twistedmentat was correct in their post at the top of this page, the Fetts weren't Mandalorians. This comes from George Lucas himself, via David Filoni. Jango Fett was just a poser, and that's been canon ever since the second season of Clone Wars. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jango_Fett

I honestly think it's weird they made them posers rather than real Mandalorians. You have the most visible and popular members and they say "they're not really them". Maybe they wanted to get as far away from Legends as they could. In that, the Fetts are both Mandalore, which is funny becuase they run around as low ranking bounty hunters rather than the leaders of an entire culture. I wonder if they called them Mandalore the Absent.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The real mandalorians were the friends they made along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I honestly think it's weird they made them posers rather than real Mandalorians. You have the most visible and popular members and they say "they're not really them". Maybe they wanted to get as far away from Legends as they could. In that, the Fetts are both Mandalore, which is funny becuase they run around as low ranking bounty hunters rather than the leaders of an entire culture. I wonder if they called them Mandalore the Absent.

Mandalore The Absent, his only weakness was blind luck

• Locked thread