Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't do your delidding while wearing a heat suit inside an oven that I don't know what to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

Asus motherboard leak seems to confirm DDR4 ECC support

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/[/url]
1x PCIe 16x, 1x PCIe 16x slot at 4x, 3x PCIe 1x

Fun, if you have ancillary stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I went to some dying shopping mall today and while I was in their restrooms, I noticed someone used a knife to etch "AMD IS 2 FAST" into the stall door. Not sure what to make of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This guerilla marketing poo poo is getting out of hand.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

buglord posted:

I went to some dying shopping mall today and while I was in their restrooms, I noticed someone used a knife to etch "AMD IS 2 FAST" into the stall door. Not sure what to make of it.
Obviously you're supposed to etch below it "INTEL IS 2 FURIOUS"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

1 x PCIEx16, 1 x NVME (4x), USB etc - I could get by absolutely fine with that for ITX.
Is this socket meant to last for 4 years worth of procs? I'm surprised they didn't add more lanes in that case. (I know sharings a thing, but still).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 20, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I imagine we might see some updated motherboards in the meantime as well as CPUs. Just the socket will probably stay the same.

eames
May 9, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think you missed one 16x slot. The only thing that would annoy me is the slow 1x M.2 slot (~985MB/s)

2x PCIe 16x slot (8x when both in use)
1x PCIe 16 slot at 4x
3x PCIe 1x slot
1x M.2 at 1x
8x SATA III
USB 3.1/3.0/2.0: 2x/10x/6x

more info at https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5v4hqt/overview_ryzen_cpu_am4_mainboard_lineup_updated/

(picture of the board: https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2017/02/ASUS-X370-PRIME-PRO-1.jpg)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How much overlap is there between the SATA/USB ports and the PCIe slots? On my current board, using the NVMe slot for instance disables the PCIe 4x slot. One PCIe 1x on the southbridge also goes, if I use certain SATA ports.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RyuHimora posted:

???????? My Pentium G3258 right next to me was very definitely not soldered when I delidded it, in fact that's the reason I had to delid it, the thermal performance was alarmingly bad even on a really good cooler.
weird, some people on reddit were reporting that it was soldered sometime in early 2015. i'm not sure why it was for those people, assuming they're not just making GBS threads us

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

weird, some people on reddit were reporting that it was soldered sometime in early 2015. i'm not sure why it was for those people, assuming they're not just making GBS threads us

It sounds like BS to me, why would Intel make CPUs with a known cause of failure built in? I would assume the G3258 is a very small die CPU so it would definitely be affected by the problems with thermal cycling on small die soldered CPUs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It sounds like BS to me, why would Intel make CPUs with a known cause of failure built in? I would assume the G3258 is a very small die CPU so it would definitely be affected by the problems with thermal cycling on small die soldered CPUs.

Taking a page from NVIDIA?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Taking a page from NVIDIA?
I, for one, want wood screws on my video card. :colbert:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
They wouldn't be any smaller than other mainstream i3-7 processors of that generation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they all are just versions of the mobile chips (rather than Xeons which are the source of the HEDT or whatever chips) that either don't make the cut power wise, have other non-parametric defects like, say, a mask defect that results in a void where a couple transistors should be in one of the cores, or have stuff disabled intentionally since they sell more of the cheaper processors, and the yield is high enough that if they kept every die as the model that it is good for, there wouldn't be enough supply of the pentiums and i3/5s as well as an overabundance of i5/7s sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Now, iirc, those chips are small enough to where it wouldn't be advisable to solder them, but I could be wrong.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Why not just heat it up enough to melt the solder and weaken the adhesive? Too high of a temp? Or maybe you could carefully try to cut the adhesive and then run a heat gun over the cover to desolder the thing. Does intel/AMD sputter a sufficiently thick metal layer on the back of the die after they mill it down?

I remember someone posting a video of a guy trying to do this with a blowtorch and an AMD CPU. The way I remember it going was the guy just cranking away at the heat spreader until he turned it around and noticed the pins had melted.

edit: Might have been this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Hp0xQhJwg

Icept fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 20, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

How much overlap is there between the SATA/USB ports and the PCIe slots? On my current board, using the NVMe slot for instance disables the PCIe 4x slot. One PCIe 1x on the southbridge also goes, if I use certain SATA ports.

Seems like the NVMe eats up some SATA and PCI-E ports from the CPU.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
NVMe is literally a mechanism to directly attach storage devices to the PCIe bus, so yes, it'll eat PCIe lanes.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Icept posted:

I remember someone posting a video of a guy trying to do this with a blowtorch and an AMD CPU. The way I remember it going was the guy just cranking away at the heat spreader until he turned it around and noticed the pins had melted.

edit: Might have been this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Hp0xQhJwg

Heh, yeah a blowtorch of all things probably wouldn't be the best item to use though I'm not sure if it could reach a high enough temperature to melt the aluminum or whatever the actual pins are made from... Thankfully intel cpus are immune from that anyways

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Thankfully intel cpus are immune from that anyways

They're not immune from the poo poo stock TIM/IHS mount though. Really if AMD has their IHS soldered by default there isn't a reason to remove it (unless you're doing LN2 or phase change suicide OC's) since a soldered IHS will give you great temps.

edit: you won't be melting pins on a AMD chip because of the soldered IHS = no reason to mess with IHS\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 21, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

They're not immune from the poo poo stock TIM/IHS mount though. Really if AMD has their IHS soldered by default there isn't a reason to remove it (unless you're doing LN2 or phase change suicide OC's) since a soldered IHS will give you great temps.

I was talking about immunity to melting pins

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Let me tell you about pcie switches ,

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do we have any idea how Ryzen fares with encoding for watching 4K and streaming/recording?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ufarn posted:

Do we have any idea how Ryzen fares with encoding for watching 4K and streaming/recording?

nope.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcwJ6l33Zwo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This is a bit old cause I didn't follow this thread as closely as I should in the last three weeks but...

mayodreams posted:

AMD won't be getting into data centers with any significance for at least a couple of years. Brand new architectures and platforms need time to drivers sorted before trusting production level workloads. I have a raging AMD fan boy boner right now too, but typical hardware cycles are 3-5 years, and there will be a lot of hesitance on this new platform until real world data is available.

The HPC people I'm talking to are standing in a loving line to get AMD into their datacenters right now, dumping intel and their CUDA apps, just to get on the Zen APU train a bit earlier, because big clients like CERN etc are breathing down their neck about it. What the poo poo are you on about?

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm sure it'll be an overclocker's dream...

A nightmare is a dream after all :v:

Also, to all the people saying more cores won't see anything in gaming, I'm very glad I have a HT 4 core right now, it means I don't have to close my browser and other poo poo when playing games, doubly so in VR (as frame drops are even more annoying there), and now that games are slowly starting to move to 4 threads proper it's the perfect time to upgrade to a 6 or even 8 core, and keep that ability intact.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Josh Lyman posted:

I, for one, want wood screws on my video card. :colbert:

No, son, what you need instead of wood screws are wooden screws. My videophile friends and I agree the wood gives the output picture a warmer feel and really embiggen the videostage produced by your monitor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A Chinese website appears to have posted their R7 1700X review early. Some score comparisons are in the Latin alphabet for quick reference. Seems to beat out the i7 5960X in the benches they posted: http://archive.is/wh5HU

Graphs:

Video Cardz also talk about it:https://videocardz.com/66182/amd-radeon-7-1700x-pictured-and-tested

Choo choo :fap:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Truga posted:

The HPC people I'm talking to are standing in a loving line to get AMD into their datacenters right now, dumping intel and their CUDA apps, just to get on the Zen APU train a bit earlier, because big clients like CERN etc are breathing down their neck about it. What the poo poo are you on about?

Why are they looking to dump their CUDA apps?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because having GPU on package is so much better than having to run through a lengthy pcie bus.

There's that CUDA -> OpenCL compiler now so they probably won't have to unless they run into any incompatibilities, I'm just saying that they would do it if they had to, to get to use Zen APUs.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ahh that makes a lot of sense actually.

eames
May 9, 2009

The R7 1700X is basically identical (CB) or 5% faster (3DMark) compared to the 6900K at $389 vs $1050.

I suspect that the overclocking headroom will be minimal because XFR is essentially automated overclocking but the value looks tremendous. I hope this is not a flash in the pan and AMD can keep this up without Keller on board.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

Graphs:
Choo choo :fap:

Choo choo, Gonna be K7/K8 all over again.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If Intel doesn't drop prices across the board its going to be real interesting.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sure hope Intel doesn't go OEM ratfucking again.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Sure hope Intel doesn't go OEM ratfucking again.

Reminder: we are now under a Trump administration, with complete Republican control of government. Of course Intel will go back to their lovely ways with impunity.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Reminder: we are now under a Trump administration, with complete Republican control of government. Of course Intel will go back to their lovely ways with impunity.

The EU has started also seriously enforcing antitrust laws in the last decade or two, so the imminent gutting of antitrust enforcement in the US won't get them off the hook completely.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

evilweasel posted:

The EU has started also seriously enforcing antitrust laws in the last decade or two, so the imminent gutting of antitrust enforcement in the US won't get them off the hook completely.
There's also the risk of the US becoming instantly economically irrelevant at the whim of the current administration and the GOP

eames
May 9, 2009

a pretty big german retailer lists a R1700/RX460 system for 999€

https://www.csl-computer.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=13251

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

eames posted:

a pretty big german retailer lists a R1700/RX460 system for 999€

https://www.csl-computer.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=13251

That CPU/GPU pairing reminds me of the bad old days when PCs were sold with massively overpowered CPUs (for the time) but GPUs that were unbelievably weedy. All because most people only knew MORE MEGAHERTZ = BETTER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Some more good numbers but it's still synthetics and unknown clock frequencies.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-processor-tested/

• Locked thread