Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been using a specific team setup whenever I want to level just one character and so far this feels like the most efficient way to level someone.The team consists of:

The character I want to level
A healer
A dancer
A high level character that counters the type that the leveling character is weak to

With this you can basically let your leveling character sweep the map, most counters can be dealth with because of the dance and healing, but if that is not enough you just let the higher level character take care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I wait until I have 3 or 4 units around the same level and level them together as just grinding one guy is boring.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

That 4 pull was worth it even if everything after pulling Julia first pull was mediocre? Also, Julia is +Def / -Hp if that gimps her at all.

There are 3 classes of Julia, -Attack in any form is bad, +Speed without -Attack is good; everything else is basically equivalent.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, the worst part of the new bonus units set is that none of the three non-Focus units really give much team synergy - Odin/Narcian don't give any buffs, and the only thing Catria can supply is a -7 ATK debuff. At least in the old set Sharena can buff even if you had her at a really low level.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Weird, annoying choices for bonus characters will help keep arena mode interesting and keep banners profitable.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wouldn't be surprised if people just keep using the Nino team comp but with Odin?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The full Nino comp already has Eirika in it anyway. Arguably, Eirika is what made people notice that Nino is good.

Odin is also bad.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oh oops.

Oh, but this would be Maria's time to shine since she got the attack that reverse buffs, right? Her Res+ aura might be useful too.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 21, 2017

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Clarste posted:

The full Nino comp already has Eirika in it anyway. Arguably, Eirika is what made people notice that Nino is good.

Odin is also bad.

Eirika is basically the perfect Nino pal but Nino was obviously strong before that imo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
People probably aren't going to be using the Nino team on defense. You can't force the AI to make good use of buffs, although I guess they might be generally unpredictable and annoying about it.

There's no particular reason for the defense meta to change at all from this.

Philip Rivers posted:

Eirika is basically the perfect Nino pal but Nino was obviously strong before that imo

Well I know I've been using her since the beginning, but she's been ranked pretty low the past couple of weeks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lol my buddy was messaging me like "brah check out this 5* i just rolled" so i tried pulling

4* +spd -res Robin, and for any pesky casters, I already have Tiki or Camilla. Sword Lords come at me :unsmigghh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Didn't get a single defence in the last round. Already got one in this.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The defense meta won't change until we get some degree of control over it. Being able to position your units or even pick a vague play style for the AI (cautious/aggressive/balanced) would make it a lot more interesting both in terms of planning a defense and seeing interesting setups to fight against.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The feather cost is killing my grind boner

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Holy poo poo these bonus units.

You know what, I'm just going to mulligan this week's arena and level some of my other dudes instead.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Holy poo poo these bonus units.

You know what, I'm just going to mulligan this week's arena and level some of my other dudes instead.

Same. I've already gotten my 80 battle feather reward so I'm not going to blow any swords on that line up.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Spent 120 orbs and got no 5*. My only 5* now is the YTiki I started with. I did get a +atk/-def 4* Nino though, so I'm thinking blow my first 20k feathers on Nino and run YTiki/Sharena/Olivia/Nino?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sweet, got the Lunatic sword quest done without having to promote/train up Selena. Roy's tankiness saved him long enough to debuff the knight, then Corrin with a saved up Dragon Fang cleaned him up afterwards.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just took my Nino team and swapped Olivia for Seliph and got a 4330 with a death or two.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I already had my Eirika at level 40 so I'm all set for arena. Nice.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Guess I'll ask for advice on who to build up for an arena team as well:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
4170 score with Eirika, Jeorge, Raven and Cordelia. Probably could score better once I get Julia up to level 40. Jeorge was dead weight since I didn't encounter any Camilias, however his seal atk was useful against all the Young Tikis. I'm tempted to replace Cordelia with Sully for her draw back ability. Both units blow up red units but Cordelia isn't Takumi food.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
So I finally have 20,000 feathers. Who should I upgrade from 4 star to 5 star? My best candidates are Cordelia, Olivia, MaleCorrin, FemCorrin, Lilina, Raven, Gunter, or Clarine. And of course I could do Sharena or Anna. Anyway I'm leaning towards Cordelia because Galeforce looks like a pretty useful skill, but then I wouldn't mind having a stronger FemCorrin either.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

cpaf posted:

Honestly I'd start levelling Sharena to eventually replace Abel with her, as she can buff Nino, which is amazing. Nino is a character you can build a whole team around and Sharena is a very important part that everyone has access to.

Extremely :effort: though if you're like me and started out with a 3* Nino and have ignored Sharena since release

e: Abel not Ephraim

Durrr. This whole time I've been getting Sharena mixed up with Sheena, the axe general from Shadow Dragon. I was wondering why everyone was saying to use her. :downs: I didn't even realize she'd joined my squad. That is how much of a dumb-dumb I am.

Couldn't hurt to level her up, I guess. Not sure about replacing Abel with her. Abel has been cleaning house with Swordbreaker and that Brave Lance of his. Still going with my plan of upgrading Nino to 5* once I get 20k feathers. Sharena will get upgraded next, then perhaps Anna.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Reset Smith posted:

So I finally have 20,000 feathers. Who should I upgrade from 4 star to 5 star? My best candidates are Cordelia, Olivia, MaleCorrin, FemCorrin, Lilina, Raven, Gunter, or Clarine. And of course I could do Sharena or Anna. Anyway I'm leaning towards Cordelia because Galeforce looks like a pretty useful skill, but then I wouldn't mind having a stronger FemCorrin either.

F Corrin is a really strong debuffer IMO, with overall good stats. Sharena is definitely a good option too, and I'm really happy with Fensalir.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if we'll see re-releases of the same character. Games like Dokkan Battle have a hundred versions of Goku, so why not?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Guess I'll ask for advice on who to build up for an arena team as well:

Effie, Hector, Lilina, Nowi is probably solid for you.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It is very annoying that ODIN DARK is an arena bonus dude because, while hilarious and awesome as a character, is terrible in this game. He's like Tharja but very bad and worthless. I'd be better off running almost any other hero than Odin. He ends up dying most of the time and not killing much at like level 35. Oh well. The arena bonus system is dumb.

Good thing I have Marth, Nowi, and Camilla who murder most teams.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 21, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Clarste posted:

People probably aren't going to be using the Nino team on defense. You can't force the AI to make good use of buffs, although I guess they might be generally unpredictable and annoying about it.

There's no particular reason for the defense meta to change at all from this.

Well I know I've been using her since the beginning, but she's been ranked pretty low the past couple of weeks.

My Nino team is on defense... because that's my best team. It's also the team I use for offense. I'm really glad of that 5* Eirika I got from my last pull right about now. I barely did the Arena at all last cycle because I didn't have ANY of the bonus characters decently starred or levelled. Or at all. It's Nino and Eirika's time to shine!

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Agoat posted:

I wonder if we'll see re-releases of the same character. Games like Dokkan Battle have a hundred versions of Goku, so why not?

Datamining has already shown that art for Santa M!Robin and Reindeer Tharja exist (presumably they're from before the game got delayed into 2017), so alt versions are as good as confirmed.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think I've gotten a single defense win since putting my Nino team into slot 1.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Do the weapon mastery quests go by color or weapon types? Can I use green mages or blue dragons, for instance?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Agoat posted:

We'll be getting alt versions of the vote winners Lyn, Roy and Lucina at some point.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Effie, Hector, Lilina, Nowi is probably solid for you.

Are Effie or Lilina worth upgrading to 5*?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Do the weapon mastery quests go by color or weapon types? Can I use green mages or blue dragons, for instance?

It specifically says the weapon types.

The orb quests are super easy to knock out with just a single high-level character, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are Effie or Lilina worth upgrading to 5*?

Effie definitely is, she'll be in multiple combats and those differences in stats will show.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just realized something while trying to do the item specific quests...
Out of 50 units I have 3 axe users and one of them is the char you're given to start the game, Anna. I literally cannot make a team to do those ones right now. (Also the other two suck.)
Sigh.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

I just realized something while trying to do the item specific quests...
Out of 50 units I have 3 axe users and one of them is the char you're given to start the game, Anna. I literally cannot make a team to do those ones right now. (Also the other two suck.)
Sigh.

You don't have to have a full team to complete the quests

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Andrast posted:

You don't have to have a full team to complete the quests

...wtf

So "Use a team of axe users to clear [...]" means "use an axe user"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

...wtf

So "Use a team of axe users to clear [...]" means "use an axe user"?

Your team has to be only axe users, but you can just field like two units if you want to