Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

How can he refuse a bullpen assignment? Does his contract specifically stipulate a starting role?

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/09/06/matt-garza-refused-to-pitch-out-of-the-bullpen/

Basically they told him he was going to pitch out of the bullpen and he threw such a baby shitfit that they just sent him home early and he didn't play the rest of the season. I don't think it was ever reported how his contract came into things. But the guy will only start and he sucks at it and takes space that new pitchers could be using to learn the big leagues so gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/834055863572844549

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

always assumed the Royals would overpay like 5/75 for Hosmer, but loving lol if he thinks he is worth 10 years and any amount more than 15 million a year.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

How can he refuse a bullpen assignment? Does his contract specifically stipulate a starting role?

Ask Tommy La Stella

though this makes me realize that the only real spring training battle for the Cubs this season is if Tommy or Matt Szczur makes the 25 man (possibly also the last RP slot but that's almost certainly Brian Duensing). IMO it should be Szczur but TLS has infield flexibility that gets Maddon hot and bothered.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I would absolutely have Szczur over La Stella but we already have a bajillion outfielders so it's likely not gonna happen.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
If it means anything I cut out NBA league pass this year because of the Reddit free streams and have been pleasantly surprised. Rarely any problems finding one and consistent quality while watching them.

8/10 would save 100+ dollars again

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/834080647207669762

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Nats sure do love deferred money

I like that deal though.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Poque posted:

The Nats sure do love deferred money

I like that deal though.

It's a consequence of MASN rights being tied up in court for the last several years. I just hope in 2025 we're not hearing excuses about how tight payroll is because we still owe Max Scherzer $14million.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

That seems like a bargain.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Ask Tommy La Stella

though this makes me realize that the only real spring training battle for the Cubs this season is if Tommy or Matt Szczur makes the 25 man (possibly also the last RP slot but that's almost certainly Brian Duensing). IMO it should be Szczur but TLS has infield flexibility that gets Maddon hot and bothered.

Don't forget that he's a ~lefty bat~.

In any case it's not that simple though, because TLS has options left but Szczur does not. While I think the claims of Szczur being everyday material are overblown, he's a quality bench bat/fourth OF and there's no way he clears waivers, which means if he doesn't make the 25-man he's probably trade bait. Meanwhile there's a gamble that TLS might fly the coop if he's left in Iowa to start the season and after last year's episode I severely doubt any other teams are interested in trading for him. My hot take is that at least one of them is no longer a Cub by opening day.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

You're trusting your ad blocker to hold back the tide of malicious poo poo that any streaming site is likely firing at you out of a digital howitzer.

i've been running reddit streams consistently for years without any hints of breaches. are these sites really throwing that much malware out?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Abel Wingnut posted:

i've been running reddit streams consistently for years without any hints of breaches. are these sites really throwing that much malware out?

Agreeing with this. The upvote/downvote system they have helps weed the bad ones out.

Also if you go to a teams specific subreddit, sometimes they have streams that are only posted there. These usually have the announcers of the team you like.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are "reddit streams" just streams posted on reddit?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

I guess it depends which one you end up with. The Youtube links are fine and I vastly prefer those, but there are definitely some hinky ones that get linked.

It's a general internet issue, not something specific to sports streams or the Reddit threads or anything.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

Are "reddit streams" just streams posted on reddit?

Yes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Free streams are great until they freeze at a key moment and it takes you 5 minutes to load another one
lol like the mlb.tv stream never does this

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is unblock-us still considered a good VPN? Or have MLB.tv caught up to them?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

lol like the mlb.tv stream never does this

The delayed stream with all the DVR functionality isn't bad but god help you if you want to watch the loving live stream. Some days it is loving unwatchable, and the support is a joke:

:(: "The stream is constantly freezing and skipping."
:geno:: "Go to settings and uncheck standard video."
:(: "That puts me on a ~30-45 second delay though, I want the live stream."
:geno:: "Okay I'll make our support engineers aware of the issue in the meantime you can resolve the issue by unchecking standard video. Have a nice day!"
:sigh:

e. Also what's doubly insulting about it is the old player let you select the quality level you wanted which helped a lot, but the new version dynamically sets it based on bandwidth. So every loving time it starts skipping and finally gets down to a quality level where it plays smoothly, it lasts for all of 10 seconds before it bumps the quality back up and immediately starts buffering again. :argh:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 21, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

seiferguy posted:

Is unblock-us still considered a good VPN? Or have MLB.tv caught up to them?

Unblock-us is not a VPN. It's a DNS thing. You set your DNS on your browser, device, etc. When MLB.TV checks your location, the DNS thing tells it that it is somewhere other than where you actually are. Another similar service is adfreetime. It's cheaper but I've had issues with it not working in the past.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Oh Rick.... :smith:

http://www.12up.com/posts/4603000-rick-ankiel-admits-he-drank-alcohol-before-starts-to-calm-down?a_aid=40030

Anxiety is a bitch.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is awesome:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/741771...dbpr=3058150694

Home movie footage of Ted Williams coaching a young Mike Piazza on hitting.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I was able to watch the playoffs using unblock-us last fall and share my account with any friend or family member who wants it. The ban hammer is definitely being exaggerated.

The WBC is streaming in the US on MLB.tv this year even without a VPN or DNS spoofing service, which is a loving awesome sign for the future.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cis autodrag posted:

the guy will only start and he sucks at it and takes space that new pitchers could be using to learn the big leagues so gently caress him.

But enough about Tim Lincecum

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

The entire Levine quote isn't quite as inflammatory as the juicy bits,

but he's still a loving asshit because why say anything? You won the hearing, move on. It also clearly had an effect on Dellin:

Furthermore, today is a year to the loving day from Lonn Trost saying his poo poo about poors in the premium seats.

Happy Yankees Executives Are loving Assholes Day, everybody.

The moron Steinbrenner kids never fire anyone or enforce any accountability but Levine should really be fired for this. (He won't be)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

The moron Steinbrenner kids never fire anyone or enforce any accountability but Levine should really be fired for this. (He won't be)

I doubt Levine did that without the OK from above. Cashman should go flip his loving desk over and beat him within an inch of his life though.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

But enough about Tim Lincecum

I dunno what you're talking about, Tim Lincecum retired in 2012 and spends his days skateboarding around Seattle smoking that dank Pac-NW weed. He chose to go out on top and I respect that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

I doubt Levine did that without the OK from above. Cashman should go flip his loving desk over and beat him within an inch of his life though.

He's above Cashman. Hal and Hank have to deal with it. (They won't)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

This is awesome:

This owns. Also Mike Piazza's forhead is so big (Steroids???!?!??!)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

This is awesome:

Ted Williams is my favourite player to listen to talk about hitting, he was so ahead of the curve for his time and really laid the foundation for more modern hitting analysis.

If you haven't read his short book "The Science of Hitting" I highly recommending it even if you don't play. There is ton's of good information in that book about being an educated and thoughtful hitter.

The end of that video is pretty funny when the 3rd guy is talking about how he met Tony Gwynn and the advice he gave him was "take the knob to the ball" which is a classic hitting cliche that is total garbage. He even says how after talking with Gwynn he went to the cage and tried "knob to the ball" and fowled 9 balls straight up into the air haha. Lesson is not every great hitter is a great teacher.

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 21, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

He's above Cashman. Hal and Hank have to deal with it. (They won't)

Oh I know, which is why I think Hank and Hal at best don't give a gently caress about what he said or at worst told him to say it. But he's only hurting Cashman when he does it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A-Rod said today he is officially retired

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N:
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/834147670377713664

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/834148180115681280

V: Suck it Manfred.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I mean that's a lovely place for the PA to finally put their foot down.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Wow, really? Does the MLBPA care that much about trips to the mound?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Is it bad that I immediately knew this was going to be a story about Rick Ankiel even before looking at the link address?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The other side of the story is likely that the MLBPA wanted some things and the commissioner wouldn't budge.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

Wow, really? Does the MLBPA care that much about trips to the mound?
Slippery slope, my friend. Today it's trips to the mound, tomorrow it's a salary cap.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

nmfree posted:

Slippery slope, my friend. Today it's trips to the mound, tomorrow it's a salary cap.

That's it! Slippery Mounds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also apparently the CBA has language in it that lets the owners implement rule changes without MLBPA approval or input from the second year onward. If you can't stop it from happening anyway, might as well... stall it for now I guess? idk.

• Locked thread