Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Front end looks great other than the complicated front wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The front end is actually the more attractive bit of the car in my opinion. It all goes south when you get to the sidepods.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I actually really like that. It's about as attractive as a modern F1 car can be. I welcome the return of aero fuckery. Hopefully we can get some 06-08 era racing out of it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm hoping some of the side pod fuckery is them masking new tech...

But other than that I like the new car quite a bit.

The noses aren't a round nub anymore so I'm okay with it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Frank Dernie has maintained that complicated aero has zero correlation to overtaking and I'm hoping he's right because this could be a good year if true.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

The weird bargeboard seems to be splitting the flow so some of it goes through a sculpted channel under the sidepod

my own MSpaint interpretation

Honestly think those blue and purple stripes would be a legit improvement to the livery.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I actually like the livery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought the cars would be a lot wider with the new regulations. From a lot of angles it looks the same to me.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

keevo posted:

I thought the cars would be a lot wider with the new regulations. From a lot of angles it looks the same to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1DGhiYX_4g
A surprisingly good video from the official F1 channel showing the differences in the regs.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hate the sharkfin, but otherwise I don't mind it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

The weird bargeboard seems to be splitting the flow so some of it goes through a sculpted channel under the sidepod

my own MSpaint interpretation

Wonder if some of the airflow is being diverted to the slots most of the teams have cut into the rear of the floor to manage tire squirt.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

keevo posted:

Most of the width seems to have been taken up by the sidepods and floorboard, but the cockpit 'sides' seem to have gotten a bit wider as well, which makes them visually less noticeable. It doesn't even look like the tires are any wider until you focus on the rears.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

In Max's defense just shoving a bell pepper in your mouth is kind of weird

This didn't get the praise it warrants

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

EoRaptor posted:

Most of the width seems to have been taken up by the sidepods and floorboard, but the cockpit 'sides' seem to have gotten a bit wider as well, which makes them visually less noticeable. It doesn't even look like the tires are any wider until you focus on the rears.

The scaled up wheels mess with comparisons, plus the "massively increased width" is 10cm each side

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

Wonder if some of the airflow is being diverted to the slots most of the teams have cut into the rear of the floor to manage tire squirt.

I have to say, take away the shark fin and these would look phenominal. Lighting on the previous 2 launches made my eyes see the shape without the fin and I was glad. Now I am less so, but only by a fraction.

Edit... quoted wrong person

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They look fast, the Renault is Cool and Good IMO

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I like the new Renault paint job. Having the car being one solid color aside from logos is dumb.

Sauber's is better though.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I like the Renault. I don't have a problem with any of the new cars so far, really. I like that they're visially different from the last few years, and I think they'll look cool on track.

Yes, the Renault's paint scheme is dumb, but only mostly because the front half yellow doesn't blend in to the back really at all. The yellow looks boss and cool. I like the big humo in the nose and the way that it slopes back down to the driver, even though it is probably a visibility nightmare. The bunch of little wingy things are kind of distracting, but that's going to happen. Sharkfin... sure why not! gently caress it, I'm on board.

I think Sauber did a pretty good job with theirs, except the vertical aero-bits that are blue on the sides and the weird scheme on the side in front of the rear wheels.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

In other news, the president of Azerbaijan named a new Vice President: his wife.

Well done, Baku.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Minto Took posted:

In other news, the president of Azerbaijan named a new Vice President: his wife.

Well done, Baku.

His wife welcomed all of us.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/2/sirotkin-to-be-renaults-2017-reserve.html

Aaaaaaaand that's why SMP Racing is on the side.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Looks great I'd say. Like the Sauber livery more, though.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm kind of surprised Putin doesn't just own a team at this point. Yeah I know he has the Russian GP but he might as well just own a team at this point. Bring back Petrov for no reason while we're at it.

Tsaedje posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1DGhiYX_4g
A surprisingly good video from the official F1 channel showing the differences in the regs.

That's a cool video. Thanks.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

keevo posted:

It's ok, would prefer them to go back to incorporating white though:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hate the sharkfin, but otherwise I don't mind it.

Same, I don't think it is that bad. Dunno what learnincurve is on about. The double dicknose Lotus was far more uglier

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The twin tusk Lotus was God's gift to man that year and the idea that it was bad in any ways is blasphemy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bring back all the dicknoses.

Double dick, single dick, bring them all back.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Actually gently caress you guys. These cars are cool

As I read through all the posts from today's launch, this aligns best with my thoughts.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Lets see come testing, no team is stupid enough to launch their final car... should be fun, No bacon briefcase this year?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

djssniper posted:

Lets see come testing, no team is stupid enough to launch their final car... should be fun, No bacon briefcase this year?

I want a repeat of McLaren putting their suspension arms on the car the wrong way, and finding it works better

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone ever do general admission in Montreal? Are the viewing areas any good?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was really hoping the Evil Lotus (Were they still evil lotus at this point? idk) double dicknose car would go on to kick everyones rear end. Both so it could go on those buzzfeed-style "You wont BELEIVE these crazy formula 1 designs" lists with the fan car, and because i was an early member of the BIG JOHN fanclub. :911::hf::france: (Despite him replacing my original favorite driver, Piquet Jr)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 22, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

I did in 2014 and the hairpin was decent, there's a little green area there and a big screen. I dunno if they've changed it, I heard they were gonna rework some viewing areas. But even if they haven't, the turnout is usually so huge you need to get there quite early to get a decent spot. It's standing room only around the entire circuit from what I saw.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

The twin tusk Lotus was God's gift to man that year and the idea that it was bad in any ways is blasphemy

I've only done a few circuits but Spa is great for general admission, though I think as with all decent GA options you do need to get there really early to get a decent spot, either on Kemmel Straight or Pouhon. I prefer the straight as you're closer to everything, and it's quicker trip to jump over the fence at the end of the race and walk round to the start/finish straight.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 22, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I was really hoping the Evil Lotus (Were they still evil lotus at this point? idk) double dicknose car would go on to kick everyones rear end. Both so it could go on those buzzfeed-style "You wont BELEIVE these crazy formula 1 designs" lists with the fan car, and because i was an early member of the BIG JOHN fanclub. :911::hf::france: (Despite him replacing my original favorite driver, Piquet Jr)

The twin dick car was one of the worst F1 car in recent years. It was sub McLaren-Honda levels of reliability.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

wicka posted:

I think it's not that great, at least compared with CotA. Take advantage of the sweet sweet exchange rates and get yourself a ticket to grandstand 11/12.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
The more they regulate against high-nose, the more ugly the cars get to mimic the effect of high-nose.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

I like it

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I SAID NO

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dubs posted:

I SAID NO

post/avatar combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You Am I posted:

The twin dick car was one of the worst F1 car in recent years. It was sub McLaren-Honda levels of reliability.

• Locked thread