Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

pants in my pants posted:

Having kids sounds obnoxious and expensive. I like to drink beer and work on my cars and ride my bicycles and sleep and watch Netflix and do these things whenever I want. Having a kid would severely cut into this schedule. Also there's too many people in the world already.

I drink a lot more beer since having a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Babies scare me, I'm scared of babies

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

like a cigarette should posted:

Babies scare me, I'm scared of babies

Turn on your monitor

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Hardawn posted:

Turn on your monitor

oh my GOD

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

so you work at home?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

god drat it one of you twin people answer me whether its better to have two kids at different times or just get it done in one go with twins

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will say that my sister is 13 years older than I am and we have always had a very good relationship. I see people who are twins or whatever constantly fighting with their sibling and I feel pity bc that sucks.

13 years is a pretty drat big gap ofc but I think having a bit of a gap is better (if you have a choice ofc).

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
My sister and I are like four years apart and we fought constantly. Don't have more than one kid or any kids really.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'm 7 years younger than my brother that was good since by the time I was in middle school he was gone.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Hardawn posted:

I'm 7 years younger than my brother that was good since by the time I was in middle school he was gone.

rip

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

proctorbot posted:

I would just like people to be more honest about the own lives, like their uncertainties, insecurities, and doubts. Everyone in this thread pretending their life is just the bee's knees. I'd like single people to say, yeah sometimes I feel adrift and lonely, and kidhavers to say, yeah sometimes I feel exhausted and wonder when I'll enjoy life again.

It'd be nice to have an honest conversation, but too many come in here swaggering and bragging; I think at least in part to convince themselves that they've made all the right choices.

I feel like my prior post was pretty honest broheim

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah. Hell, part of the reason I lean against having kids is because of uncertainty. When I see people having kids in horrible, wartorn shitholes I just think it's because of religion/lack of access to birth control. People actually trying to have families in places where there is no future might also just have their heads up their asses.

If your own life isn't in order, don't have a kid. YOU are the kid.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

OMFG FURRY posted:

shout out to all the parents naming their kids video game characters, big props

I follow these two 18 year old kids on Twitter and they just had a baby together and named him Loki. Lol.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
A family friend's son named his daughter after the baby from the Twilight books that the werewolf dude wanted to have baby sex with. I didn't say anything to them but lol at that poor baby later on

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

phasmid posted:

If your own life isn't in order, don't have a kid. YOU are the kid.

The consequences of following your advice at a societal level would lead to humanity's extinction.

People who judge other people's reasons for having kids have their heads up their asses imo

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

but yeah there's an Arya at daycare and I cringe every time I hear the name eee

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

The consequences of following your advice at a societal level would lead to humanity's extinction.

People who judge other people's reasons for having kids have their heads up their asses imo

I'm not judging anyone, I'm just saying why I don't want kids. People who get all up on me for that are also asses.

It is true, however, that there are a lot of shitter parents out there and I don't think I'm in the wrong for wishing pregnant teens would just get an abortion and try again later in life instead of being forced to have a kid as some kind of punishment. I think humanity will be fine with that.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Moridin920 posted:

wtf does having a kid have to do with that lol

just don't waste your loving life in the first place dang

The point I was trying to get across was the stuff that people consider "living life to the fullest, no gods no masters" was pointless self-indulgence. Like, yeah I coulda spent my time helping starving orphans in Africa but I didn't, my bad, but that's beyond the scope of the current conversation.

proctorbot posted:

I would just like people to be more honest about the own lives, like their uncertainties, insecurities, and doubts. Everyone in this thread pretending their life is just the bee's knees. I'd like single people to say, yeah sometimes I feel adrift and lonely, and kidhavers to say, yeah sometimes I feel exhausted and wonder when I'll enjoy life again.

It'd be nice to have an honest conversation, but too many come in here swaggering and bragging; I think at least in part to convince themselves that they've made all the right choices.

Real talk, if I didn't have a supportive stay-at-home wife, I would probably fray at the edges a bit dealing with all the kids 100% of the time. Someone mentioned earlier that America's insistence on effectively everyone in the family scattering to the winds when they hit 18 instead of having an extended family close by to help probably affects the stress level of having kids. I definitely agree with that. No matter how much I consider my kids the absolute best possible thing that could have happened to me, I still have to sometimes go hit the lake and kayak by myself for a short time, just to unwind a bit.

Obviously a kid throwing a tantrum doesn't end with me smiling and going 'golly that was wonderful,' but I still feel that people's weird insistence that kids are horrible monsters because a small percentage of the time they aren't standing there silent and still as statues is dumb as gently caress. Usually when I see people (such as in this thread) complaining about horrible children I feel like they've lost sight of the fact that they, too, were children once, and they probably weren't perfect either. Do they wish their parents hadn't had them because of that? Probably not.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I think we'd have a lil time left with our seven-going-on-eight billion people, don't you, sugarplum? No society could ever enforce such a law anyway and like I said, religion would try to get people to have as many babies as possible.

All I'm saying is we have enough people and those who think their genes are just sooo special it's their job to have kids or that God wills it (same thing) are ultimately selfish.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kaedric posted:

Usually when I see people (such as in this thread) complaining about horrible children I feel like they've lost sight of the fact that they, too, were children once, and they probably weren't perfect either.

the "you were a kid once" argument makes absolutely no sense to me

like yes i know that i didn't spring forth from my mother's head like athena but what does this have to do with kids being annoying? i was probably an annoying kid, and i might be an annoying adult too, and none of that means that i've permanently lost my right to be annoyed or something

quote:

Do they wish their parents hadn't had them because of that? Probably not.

if my parents hadn't had me, i wouldn't know or care

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kaedric posted:

The point I was trying to get across was the stuff that people consider "living life to the fullest, no gods no masters" was pointless self-indulgence.

I mean okay but why is having kids any different really? You could adopt, for example.

Isn't pretty much everything ultimately just pointless self-indulgence? Sounds like you're implying there's some meaning to life that only is achieved via having kids.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Moridin920 posted:

You could adopt, for example.

None of them will fess, but the people who refuse to adopt all basically have the heart of Daniel Plainview.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean have kids it's fine man all I'm saying is if you don't want kids that's fine, too.

The only reason I would judge someone for having a kid is if they aren't taking care of the kid properly. Otherwise who cares, really.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

phasmid posted:

I think we'd have a lil time left with our seven-going-on-eight billion people, don't you, sugarplum?

well it depends girlfriend. if everyone followed your advice I don't think it's unreasonable to say that for every two people only one person would be born. if that were the case, the human population would be under a million within 14 generations (in less than 400 years). that's not very long time I don't think.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

well it depends girlfriend. if everyone followed your advice I don't think it's unreasonable to say that for every two people only one person would be born. if that were the case, the human population would be under a million within 14 generations (in less than 400 years). that's not very long time I don't think.

I think you're assuming a loooot here.

Why would people only have 1 kid? My sister had 2 in her 30s and they take care of them just fine. They waited until their poo poo was in order. Saying people should not have kids as teenagers (for example) isn't mutually exclusive with any kind of population growth/decline.

e: you also assume that the difficulty of getting your poo poo together is the same regardless of population size which I don't think is necessarily true.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 21, 2017

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Just have as many kids as you possibly can and dont bother raising them, easy peasy

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I think you're assuming a loooot here.

Why would people only have 1 kid? My sister had 2 in her 30s and they take care of them just fine. They waited until their poo poo was in order. Saying people should not have kids as teenagers (for example) isn't mutually exclusive with any kind of population growth/decline.

because not everyone is in your sister's position, especially in developing nations and the US. For every one of your sister and her dopey husband, there are more that will never be "prepared for it.

e: oh fuk I just saw who I was responding too fuuuuccckk. please pretend I never made this post.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

because not everyone is in your sister's position, especially in developing nations and the US. For every one of your sister and her dopey husband, there are more that will never be "prepared for it.

e: oh fuk I just saw who I was responding too fuuuuccckk. please pretend I never made this post.

Well you're assuming a lot about what people mean when they say "prepared for it." I don't mean financially. I mean in terms of someone being well adjusted enough to actually take care of someone else as opposed to being a shithouse parent. You can be in the 3rd world and still be a good parent. You can be the wealthiest person in the world and still be an abusive rear end in a top hat.

Don't pretend like there aren't numerous couples with failing relationships who have kids to "save" the marriage. Don't pretend like there aren't teenagers getting knocked up then told they just have to have the kid because they gotta deal with the consequences of their mistakes. Those are the people I'm talking about.

But by all means make an ad hominem argument and sidestep out of the conversation lmao.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
e: oh 10 pages late whoops

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I've never changed a lovely diaper and I want to keep that record going

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

But by all means make an ad hominem argument and sidestep out of the conversation lmao.

done and done!

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

like a cigarette should posted:

I've never changed a lovely diaper and I want to keep that record going

the preferred term is poopy diaper

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I see nothing wrong with this

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if we can't figure cloning out in the next 400 years we deserve to die off

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

A big reason I don't want to have kids because of the irreversible damage to my body it'll cause. I have other reasons too, but man, I just don't want to stretch my vag out that much. Ow.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I see nothing wrong with this

Just think! A few hundred thousand people left would have all the developed world to be their playground right before they laid themselves down and put an end to this ridiculous joke we've been living.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I like the idea of a highly reduced birthrate because I think that will really better my chances of not having a baby on a plane with me

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

None of them will fess, but the people who refuse to adopt all basically have the heart of Daniel Plainview.

If you're going to the trouble of actually having a kid, you might as well have one that looks like you and not your neighbor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Also as a total aside idk why people can't be civil. What did my sister's husband ever do to you? Nothing.

Way to be a good example for the children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i am going to name my daughter Avril, after my favorite popstar

and my son, Giovanni, after the leader of team rocket from favorite video game, the pokemon

• Locked thread