Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least the art in Berserk doesn't sometimes look like it's been drawn on the back of a napkin though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Bad enough we have the blue balll rear end of a cliff hanger.

edit: I know right, the art in Berserk is just. Goddamn.

I still can't believe Gutts and them are off that goddamn boat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Harrow posted:

Has there ever been a good wuxia action game? I want a game like Nioh but it's based on kung fu and wuxia films and you can wall run and do crazy aerial acrobatics and at some fight you and some other dude play out an entire duel in your imagination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeoEpmyb2Y

One of the Sly Cooper games had a boss fight that was a wuxia fight on top of a bamboo grove whose main mechanic was huge flying leaps across the stage that lasted like 5-10 seconds before you'd land. It was awesome.

That willingness to get weird with shaking up the core gameplay was a really great thing about that series in general, even if for every awesome fight you'd get something like a first-person underwater segment or Furry Giantess Shadow of the Colossus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam is unironically a higher-tier Musou than Berserk.

What's the best musou to start with these days? I've never played one but I'm not opposed to semi-mindless hacking and slashing every now and again.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes are both pretty good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nasgate posted:

Berserk makes HxH look like it has a good release schedule.
I don't think Berserk has ever missed entire years with its hiatuses which HxH has done multiple times I believe.

E: lol, of course this is a thing: https://hiatus-hiatus.rhcloud.com/

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 21, 2017

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Harrow posted:

What's the best musou to start with these days? I've never played one but I'm not opposed to semi-mindless hacking and slashing every now and again.

It depends on which of the settings you're interested in. Dynasty Warriors 8 is a great first entry if you like Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Hyrule Warriors, Dragon Quest Heroes, and Pirate Warriors 3 are also good choices for their respective settings.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Lizard Wizard posted:

We can't yet, we're going to be remodeling and don't want to combine our cat with rubble.

There will always be cats to adopt, whenever you are ready go do it!

Nasgate posted:

Reminder to everyone that older animals have a harder time getting a home. And usually they have better temperments and in general seem to greatly appreciate having a home and family.

For reals, kittens are cute and all but some of the nicest and friendliest cats ever are older ones that are either surrendered or their owner dies. It was also real nice to see cats that were borderline feral or came from hoarder situations go from being very scared/aggressive to friendly and getting all in my face just wanting some pets. Animals are cool, gonna pet a virtual doggo in Breath of the Wild.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played Hyrule Warriors but I really want to if not only because it's the only videogame I can think of where you can play an entomancer class

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

If you like, dragon quest, zelda, or gundam, they have good musou games.
If you like anime i recommend Sengoku Basara
Otherwise, newer games in the series have more content.

If you prefer european styles, ninety nine nights is okay/good.

If you have a ps2, Dynasty Warriors 2 is my favourite in terms of OTT voice acting and buttmetal soundtracks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One thing to mention about Dragon Quest Heroes is that it doesn't play entirely like a straight Warriors game and has a large tower defense element that puts some people off.
And the menus in the hub town suckkkkkk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

One thing to mention about Dragon Quest Heroes is that it doesn't play entirely like a straight Warriors game and has a large tower defense element that puts some people off.
And the menus in the hub town suckkkkkk.

I was about to say I'd start with Dragon Quest Heroes because I do love Dragon Quest, but hoo boy, tower defense definitely makes me skeptical that I'll enjoy it. Maybe I'll go Hyrule Warriors first instead--people seemed pretty enthusiastic about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Hyrule Warriors is basically the high point in terms of genuine quality + content

Pirate Warriors 3 is the best anime licensed spinoff by a significant degree but still requires you to like OP a fair bit.

Dragon Quest Heroes is fun but pretty different from traditional Warriors titles in some significant ways.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Do long-rear end manga like that actually feel like they're building to some conclusion or is it just arc after arc so the artists have consistent work until the pen drops from their hand due to a sudden brain aneurysm?

Like, I have a friend that still reads One Piece and it seems strange to me to invest yourself in a story that has gone for literal decades and may go for more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Do long-rear end manga like that actually feel like they're building to some conclusion or is it just arc after arc so the artists have consistent work until the pen drops from their hand due to a sudden brain aneurysm?

Like, I have a friend that still reads One Piece and it seems strange to me to invest yourself in a story that has gone for literal decades and may go for more.

A lot of them do actually finish. Hunter x Hunter and Berserk are unique in that they've had absurd breaks in chapter releases. One Piece is just a loving long-rear end manga but most of its contemporaries have actually finished. (Though some, like Naruto, have sequels and such.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From what I can tell, Berserk seems to have an endgame in mind, but I haven't read in a long time and I know I've seem some people complain that it seems to be spinning its wheels right now. Part of the reason Berserk is so long-running is just because of its incredibly long hiatuses.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't believe Akagi is actually ending soon

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Animal chat I have been living in a hotel for a month for a job and it has cable and I have watched some of Dragon Ball Super and it makes me want to read the original Dragon Ball, is this a good idea or not?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The DB manga is good, you won't feel disappointed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Original Dragon Ball is cool but is mostly a goofy comedy and very little like the later series.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Animal chat I have been living in a hotel for a month for a job and it has cable and I have watched some of Dragon Ball Super and it makes me want to read the original Dragon Ball, is this a good idea or not?

sounds like a pretty dragon baller idea to me

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The orginal Dragon ball is really good. Also unlike the anime (not super) which drags alot with it's pacing, the manga is defintely far more faster pace.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Kaiji is only one hand away from getting dropped into a pit

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Akagi still playing majhong against Washizu

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Akagi still playing majhong against Washizu

Yeah I think

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shindragon posted:

It's a Musou.

That being said I'm a sucker for Musous.

*hides Ken's Rage, Dynasty Warrior Gundams*

Ken's Rage is the most disappointing game I've ever played. I thought they'd finally made a good HnK game, but nope.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

ImpAtom posted:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam is unironically a higher-tier Musou than Berserk.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Ken's Rage is the most disappointing game I've ever played. I thought they'd finally made a good HnK game, but nope.

Have you tried Godhand?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got all the cheevos for the 360 version of Ken's Rage. The Dream mode was actually fairly fun, the story mode was a dull loving slog though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried playing God Hand recently and I'd forgotten that games just used to start you off without bothering to tell you how to play them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

Have you tried Godhand?

Godhand is very great and has a lot of HnK homage in it, but it is very much its own thing. Fist of the North Star has had tons of video games, and the only one that was nearly good was a playstation fighting game that was so unbalanced it makes that Jojo game look fair.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Harrow posted:

From what I can tell, Berserk seems to have an endgame in mind, but I haven't read in a long time and I know I've seem some people complain that it seems to be spinning its wheels right now. Part of the reason Berserk is so long-running is just because of its incredibly long hiatuses.

Berserk has an endgame in mind but I don't expect it to ever end, kinda like HxH. One Piece may never end but it's still enjoyable so whatever.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nate RFB posted:

That sure is some cherries you've picked there.
Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like an all or nothing proposition. :shrug:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Godhand is very great and has a lot of HnK homage in it, but it is very much its own thing. Fist of the North Star has had tons of video games, and the only one that was nearly good was a playstation fighting game that was so unbalanced it makes that Jojo game look fair.

Isn't that the one that the GG people made? Is it just unbalanced because of 1 or 2 god tier characters like JoJo, cause that's pretty balanced if you ban Pet Shop and Kakyoin

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There are a lot of infinites and cheapo moves and the instant kill system is not really refined. It's been ages but it felt very much like a game that needed hella balance patching. I mean it was fun, don't get me wrong, but it's the kind of thing you play just to mess around and look at all the cool animations for the moves, it was pretty difficult to have a serious match in it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

Isn't that the one that the GG people made? Is it just unbalanced because of 1 or 2 god tier characters like JoJo, cause that's pretty balanced if you ban Pet Shop and Kakyoin

The HnK fighting game is notoriously considered one of the most broken games ever. Every character has an infinite combo and the tier list is "how easy is it to do their infinite"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Why you think I said I hide mines. :v: Ken Rage's is just a guilty pleasure of mines. I really wish we would get a full fledged Hnk game but then again anime games dont' get full blown budget like other games. (for obvious reasons)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I must've said this like 8000 times since Arkham City came out, but Rocksteady could make a killer Fist of the North Star game. You know at the end of a melee section how the little bats fly into your experience bar? Instead of that, it'd be people exploding.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Oh dang now I want that game just to play casually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the replies duders, gonna download the first few volumes on my kindle post haste.

• Locked thread