Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/834010318418358272

Looks like Armageddon bombardment stance got moved out of the tradition tree. Or maybe there's more than one way to unlock it? I like the symbol for "Citizen Service", btw.

But where's the skull pit art? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Captain Oblivious posted:

The impression I'm getting is that government bonuses have been replaced altogether by civics
Yeah. It looks like now you have "succession type" and "civics," so there's more flexibility now that those two things aren't linked, and a lot more flexibility in general since there can be any number of civics to choose from and they can have more far-reaching effects than a few numeric bonuses.

It look like a great change.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I just realized that summer 2017 if that's the combat + diplomacy expansion, and if it's anything like this, Stellaris will become a loving badass game start to finish. This is going to be great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rakthar posted:

I just realized that summer 2017 if that's the combat + diplomacy expansion, and if it's anything like this, Stellaris will become a loving badass game start to finish. This is going to be great.

Yeah I'm actually so over-hyped about the current DLC I have hyper bleed-over and I'm already hyped and demanding dev diaries for the war/diplomacy overhaul DLC. Or at the least I'd really love to hear Wiz & Team's general thoughts on what they agree is wrong with the current war/combat/diplomacy "meta" and what they'd like to see in the end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm curious whether it will be a war+diplomacy DLC like people suspect or if they'd rather tackle those broad categories one at a time.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
"War and Peace" :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm curious whether it will be a war+diplomacy DLC like people suspect or if they'd rather tackle those broad categories one at a time.

A lot of the problems with war are tied into the warscore and peace negotiation system, which is an extension of the diplomacy system more or less. War/diplomacy are fairly intermeshed, or at least the main problems with them are.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Adding in ticking warscore and scrapping the ground invasion system would fix 90% of my problems.

Dealing with all of those armies is just. so. tedious.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

Looks like Armageddon bombardment stance got moved out of the tradition tree. Or maybe there's more than one way to unlock it? I like the symbol for "Citizen Service", btw.

No diplomacy, automatic purging and the ability to glass planets... where have I seen this before... oh right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50i5w0c-s_w :getin:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

My favorite part of this screenshot is the government name. Literal death panels.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I think people suspect that because Wiz put them together previously (and it makes sense).

Wiz posted:

My plan is basically to focus on one area of the game at a time and take the time to get it right. Utopia is very heavily focused on ethics, empire customization and 'internal' mechanics. We'll give war and diplomacy the same treatment in due time.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Ein Sexmonster posted:

My favorite part of this screenshot is the government name. Literal death panels.

That one councilor is being a real stick in the mud. Everybody knows we should kill them right away but he wants to do it all efficiently.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Bloody Pom posted:

No diplomacy, automatic purging and the ability to glass planets... where have I seen this before... oh right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50i5w0c-s_w :getin:
Kra'Hen were seriously a nice fun way to ply IG2, no worrying about allies or spies, just conquer and destroy.

Also, much like Stellaris, the Solarian questline in IG2 always glitched out for me and I never got to complete it and just went on to take over the galaxy instead.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really excited about this huge DLC but war/combat/movement/peace needs just as much of an overhaul.

Yeah I do have my reservations about the game's playability in spite of all the fantastic looking new content, based purely on how dull the game's warfare is. The diplomatic game is less problematic IMO but I do think that they are going to be reworked at the same time (war being an extension of diplomacy and all that)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

We actually got confirmation? I recall seeing someone speculate about it but not any Wiz based tweet or anything to back it up.

Edit: While I'm asking questions, do we know what day they're doing the dev diary on?

Always Thursday, usually at some weird European time. I work nights so I usually catch it when it drops.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I want to play a game absolutely jam packed with primitives but can't find a mod or way to mod their rate up. I remember someone was mentioning a mod that let you have 0 AI's and tons of primitives but I can't find it or remember it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So I'm trying to work out some bugs in a mod and start up a fresh game to see if the most recent tweaks work and, welp

Pretty sure I managed to spawn on the exact same planet as some random-gen civ.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Baronjutter posted:

So I want to play a game absolutely jam packed with primitives but can't find a mod or way to mod their rate up. I remember someone was mentioning a mod that let you have 0 AI's and tons of primitives but I can't find it or remember it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796374922&searchtext=

It doesn't change the rate of primitives but it spawns a galaxy without FEs or other empires

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Do...they not read the dev diaries?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

The Steam forums remain the only place worse than the paradox forums.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Baronjutter posted:

Super curious how hive mind races will deal with aliens. These birds seem to have a neural link based on their biology so would need to gene tinker wit other pops. Can you have a multicultural hive mind where not all races are part of the hive it's self?

Yeah those pops are called "food" or "pets".

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It's me. I am the Casual Crowd destroying Stellaris.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Wiz, why do you like blowing people in the face? Is that like some weird Swedish thing you picked up on somewhere?

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
It would be ideal if hive-mind could be expanded to the lonely species. It would be unfortunate if there were no tools to help them in this regard.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

CrazyTolradi posted:

Kra'Hen were seriously a nice fun way to ply IG2, no worrying about allies or spies, just conquer and destroy.

Also, much like Stellaris, the Solarian questline in IG2 always glitched out for me and I never got to complete it and just went on to take over the galaxy instead.

The funniest thing about playing the Kra'hen is that, not only did they not have access to the Diplomacy or Espionage options, but they weren't valid targets for either of those actions either. So the AI couldn't spy on you, and also had no way of pre-emptively declaring war or otherwise becoming hostile to you until you struck the first blow.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Too bad you need to be a fanatic xenophobe to be a fanatical purifier. I want to purge the xenos because God tells me to, but there aren't enough slots.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Too bad you need to be a fanatic xenophobe to be a fanatical purifier. I want to purge the xenos because God tells me to, but there aren't enough slots.

Yeah, I wonder if Fanatical Purifiers should be locked behind Fanatic Xenophobe only, with the only other condition being that you can't pick Pacifist.

Maybe there will be other options?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Steam discussion posters are like cats and wiz shows his contempt by blowing in their faces. It extremely childish and I need to pay for it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

HiKaizer posted:

It's me. I am the Casual Crowd destroying Stellaris.

Nobody is more casual than me, the casualest of all casuals, and I want Stellaris to have two modes 'win' or 'lose'. You press win, you automatically win. You press lose, you still automatically win for being badass enough to press lose.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nobody is more casual than me, the casualest of all casuals, and I want Stellaris to have two modes 'win' or 'lose'. You press win, you automatically win. You press lose, you still automatically win for being badass enough to press lose.

Add another button that lets me eat pops and I'm in.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Swedish Horror posted:

The Steam forums remain the only place worse than the paradox forums.

Ahh did you forget about reddit?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Azuth0667 posted:

Stellaris reddit isn't outright bad, just really low content/white noise. 50% of it is:
*post screenshot of earth but with cockroaches* oh my god has anyone found this easter egg before?
*posts screenshot of research screen researching 3 dangerous techs at once* woooah guys check me out I'm living on the edge here
*post screenshot of some minor and very obvious easter egg we've all seen many times*
*post screenshot of a thing that isn't notable or an easter egg with some extremely reaching explanation as to why they think it's significant or a reference to something*
*post screenshot of a really busy full game screen with a bunch of windows open and some vague "lol really?!" caption that ends up not actually having anything notable in it, maybe a leader name they thought was funny*
*post screenshot of starting system in a kinda bad location* oh my god this game sometimes is so mean uhg my game is ruined
It's just white-noise like that most of the time, random dumb suggestions and complaints, people wasting wiz's time arguing over dumb stuff. So it's basically just this thread but with more pictures.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Thanks for reminding me that hellpit exists.

I meant though, in terms of Paradox games related stuff. Reddit is bad in general but I've never really checked out the Stellaris subreddit. Probably filled with rampant nationalism and misogyny. I really do not want to see what's in the Hearts of Iron subreddit.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Stellaris subreddit is... less lovely than it could be. Certainly not like HoI. Like Baronjutter said, it's mostly white noise with the occasional gem. I stop by now and then to preach about the greatness of Wiz and scan the top few links for anything interesting, but it's not really worth a meaningful amount of your time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I don't think you really need to take the Spiritualist ethos for your empire to believe in a god, and that god wants you to purge the xenos. Like you can have a religion without spiritualism being one of your core cultural traits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crazycryodude posted:

The Stellaris subreddit is... less lovely than it could be. Certainly not like HoI. Like Baronjutter said, it's mostly white noise with the occasional gem. I stop by now and then to preach about the greatness of Wiz and scan the top few links for anything interesting, but it's not really worth a meaningful amount of your time.

Oh right I forgot about "hey guy's here's my custom empire" *posts 20 page backstory that's the authors favourite anime mixed with favourite borderline fascist nationalism* but that's true for any paradox related thing. It's anime and nationalism all the way down.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Duodecimal posted:

I'm the deviant that loves long-rear end lists in a small box with a tiny vertical scrollbar.

this is my fetish :getin::quagmire:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The Stellaris subreddit is a good place to pick up on early news; don't actually read the threads but you can pick out new/interesting updates and then just read the source. Reddit seems to be some modern day ebaumsworld where an army of lonely highschool students trawl the internet and dump everything they find into one spot for easy pickings.

The HOI sub isn't much different though it seems to be full of much more random fanfic and other useless poo poo (though surprisingly little overt racism and Nazi worship). They also really, really hate podcat for some reason but he still posts there more than he does here so you kinda need to filter through some of the poo poo to find new information or clarifications the devs post when someone starts ranting about how the game is ruining their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Next species mod is up! Meet The Lovers, a gross shapeshifting fungal colony thing that makes itself look like all the other races.
I showed it earlier, and the gimmick is basically that it has every other race in the game as phenotypes, so all the pops and leaders and scientists are randomized between 90+ different animated portraits. It's pretty weird looking in practice!

• Locked thread