Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's possible to underspend so far that you can't make it up, but it's really, really hard to do that and so far only the Raiders have even come close.

Not really. People don't understand how dead money works and that's why they think the Raider's weren't going to "make it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MrLogan posted:

Not really. People don't understand how dead money works and that's why they think the Raider's weren't going to "make it."

The cap floor is a cash spending floor. Dead money doesn't factor in, only the actual cash paid out during that four-year window. The Raiders really weren't in danger of "not making it," they were just the only team to even come close enough that it came up

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

:rip: Mike Tolbert

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently Jordan Rodgers is the ESPN controversy fuel of the day as he spent awhile this morning arguing that Kirk Cousins is better then Cam Newton.

Short version:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 21, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

Apparently Jordan Rodgers is the ESPN controversy fuel of the day as he apparently spent awhile this morning arguing that Kirk Cousins is better then Cam Newton.

Short version:

I don't blame Aaron anymore for not wanting to talk to him

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Did that dude say that Matt Ryan hasn't proved anything yet?

Cause he and Cam have both proved they can lose a Super Bowl.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm morbidly curious what team winds up with geno smith next year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Man it is a slow week for NFL news

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's dumb as hell, but I was wondering why ESPN seemed to have everyone debating Cam vs Cousins all of a sudden this afternoon and realized they had someone crank the hot take machine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey the Dolphins/Jags trade is about as good as it gets until we get to the combine. Then franchise tags, then free agency.

Oh god the offseason is long.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I look forward to the first QB conversation involving "leadership" that doesn't make me want to bang my head against a wall.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

fishing with the fam posted:

I look forward to the first QB conversation involving "leadership" that doesn't make me want to bang my head against a wall.

I see guys described as leaders/not leaders often but rarely see anything substantial in terms of "here's what they do to that proves this is the case" and so I wonder if it even matters. Like I'm sure some of these guys are really charismatic and some are really into studying film, but the difference between Brady and Weeden isn't leadership

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Baseball hasn't started, college basketball hasn't REALLY started, lol hockey, and the NBA is at the all star break and is a slow grind to the inevitable Warriors/Cavs 3.0 finals.

There's litreally nothing going on unless you want to disect the Boogie trade more

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

I see guys described as leaders/not leaders often but rarely see anything substantial in terms of "here's what they do to that proves this is the case" and so I wonder if it even matters. Like I'm sure some of these guys are really charismatic and some are really into studying film, but the difference between Brady and Weeden isn't leadership

Tom Brady will scream at dudes and sulk on the sidelines when he's playing badly. But that just shows what a firey perfectionist he is.

Now Cam Newton, there's a hotheaded babyman throwing a tantrum.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Edit: ^^^dang it.

It doesn't matter, which is why it makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Its a nebulous bullshit term like calling a guy a "winner", as if being a "winner" is an inherent trait.

*QB screams at his lineman* "Ooooooh, look at that fiery, passionate leadership!"

*Different QB screams at his lineman* "He needs to take the responsibility on his shoulders and stop blaming teammates, like a true leader."

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

Baseball hasn't started, college basketball hasn't REALLY started, lol hockey, and the NBA is at the all star break and is a slow grind to the inevitable Warriors/Cavs 3.0 finals.

There's litreally nothing going on unless you want to disect the Boogie trade more
Vlade Divac is a bad GM

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
When I think leadership it's mostly defensive guys who come to mind. Like Ed Reed firing up Miami at halftime, or all the Ray Lewis stuff we kinda poo poo on but probably did get guys pumped up.

Joe Montana's great leadership moment that everyone talks about is noticing John Candy in the crowd at the super bowl.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eli Wiggum posted:

Vlade Divac is a bad GM

can't just flop and get a do over when you make a bad personnel decision

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Kalli posted:

Apparently Jordan Rodgers is the ESPN controversy fuel of the day as he spent awhile this morning arguing that Kirk Cousins is better then Cam Newton.

Short version:

Your 2016 completion percentage king and therefore best quarterback in the NFL: Sam Bradford

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

When I think leadership it's mostly defensive guys who come to mind. Like Ed Reed firing up Miami at halftime, or all the Ray Lewis stuff we kinda poo poo on but probably did get guys pumped up.

Joe Montana's great leadership moment that everyone talks about is noticing John Candy in the crowd at the super bowl.

Something that came up in a random interview with one of the Patriots was that the fiery guy during halftime of the Superbowl that was rallying everyone was... Logan Ryan.

I think what we are presented from announcers/talking heads when it comes to that stuff is almost entirely fictional.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cam was broken down and playing behind a mash unit of an offensive line last year.

Kirk still couldn't beat him.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Kirk Cousins would have dove on the fumble.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Brady has reached the point where anything he does is going to get an ex post facto rationalization as being "good leadership" because of his past success. If he farted he'd get credit for "breaking the tension" and "keeping everyone loose" or some nonsense.

If his "intangibles" matter at all, it's probably only insofar as his past success gives everyone a little more confidence if things look lovely. What that's worth compared to "Going apeshit in the 4th quarter & OT after starting lovely", I dunno. :iiam:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

I miss Seau and Merriman

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's some nerd stuff instead if you don't wanna "debate" Kirk vs Cam

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/failed-completions-2016

Failed completions stats for last season.

A failed completion is any completion that doesn't get 45% of the needed yards on 1st down, 60% on 2nd down or all the yards on 3rd/4th down for a conversion.

Cam was actually the guy least likely to throw a failed completion this year, with only 49 in 270 completions. (Barkley was actually the best, but come on).

Flacco was the worst at 144 of 436, or literally a third of his completions this year. (Goff was actually the worst, but come on).

Cam was also 3rd in Alex and Flacco was 31st, so hey Ravens, maybe fix whatever the gently caress is going on with your passing game.

For teams, the Jaguars and Giants were the teams most likely to cause failed completions, which is interesting (how many of those were just grinding clock against the Jags?) while, unsurprisingly, the Saints and Packers were the worst at causing failed completions

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Kirk Cousins would have dove on the fumble.

this but unironically

In actual News (or a reasonable facsimile thereof), Football Outsiders released its analysis on failed completions for 2016, looking at who's the best at throwing worthless completions. Read it here:

The short version is that Joe Flacco is this year's King of Bad Completions, with a whopping 33% of his passes failing to gain 60% of the needed yards on 1st down, 45% on 2nd down, and 100% on 3rd/4th down. He's had two seasons in his career with 100+ failed completions (2016, 2013), and this year set the NFL record for seasons since 1989 with 144 failed passes, apparently. Right around Flacco were Keenum (63 failures, 32.1%) and Goff (44 failures, 39.3%). Bradford's 2016 also came close, with 29.4% of his completions being failures (116 total).

Dennis Pitta was the receiver of the most failed receptions (31), and was #5 in the failure rate (36% of his receptions were failures). Comparatively, the league's best receivers in terms of failed reception rate in 2016 were Nelson (2.9%), Jeffery (3.8%), Dez Bryant (4.0%), Josh Brown (5.1%), and Mike Evans (5.2%).

Being on the list isn't necessarily bad per se, since Brees has led the league in failed completions a few times, but Flacco ain't Brees.

In semi-relevant news, Newton was among the top of the list, with only 18.1% of his passes being failures. Ryan ranked 7th with 20.6%, while Cousins ranked 14th with 22.9%.

There's also some good stuff in there on defenses. It's worth a read.

e: God dammit Kalli

Nov 6, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTpOlQgOVo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Brady has reached the point where anything he does is going to get an ex post facto rationalization as being "good leadership" because of his past success. If he farted he'd get credit for "breaking the tension" and "keeping everyone loose" or some nonsense.

If his "intangibles" matter at all, it's probably only insofar as his past success gives everyone a little more confidence if things look lovely. What that's worth compared to "Going apeshit in the 4th quarter & OT after starting lovely", I dunno. :iiam:

The stuff after the Super Bowl about Brady made it seem like what he does that's great for the team is being a follower, not a leader. He's not about trying to be the leader of the team, he's about trying to do exactly what Belichick tells him to do.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Kalli posted:

Failed completions stats for last season.

A failed completion is any completion that doesn't get 45% of the needed yards on 1st down, 60% on 2nd down or all the yards on 3rd/4th down for a conversion.

I gave the article a quick perusal, but I didn't see any explanation as to why 45/60/100% were chosen as the breakdowns for this analysis (the 100% is self explanatory of course). Any idea what the reasoning is there? It seems arbitrary on its face, but I am curious if there is any deeper logic.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Kirk Cousins is cerebral and a leader while Cam offers only athleticism

Dogwhistle at its finest

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
My fiancé (who gives no shits about anything football related) asked out of the blue what would happen if a receiver caught the ball, but dropped it after the fact due to being surprised that he caught it(?). So I showed her the Calvin Johnson "catch" and Dez "catch" and she agreed that those looked like catches. I was feeling super squirrely and showed her the tuck rule fumble to which she asked "but if his arm is moving forward isn't that an incomplete pass?" so I'm asking for the ring back

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

She's right

Nov 6, 2002

Now show her the Immaculate Reception.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Intruder posted:

She's right

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
During the Superbowl the camera panned over Brady and she said "that guy is kinda cute, who is that" so I've already deleted Facebook and hit the gym and now I'm lawyering up

Edit wait this isn't E/N

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

fishing with the fam posted:

I gave the article a quick perusal, but I didn't see any explanation as to why 45/60/100% were chosen as the breakdowns for this analysis (the 100% is self explanatory of course). Any idea what the reasoning is there? It seems arbitrary on its face, but I am curious if there is any deeper logic.

If I recall correctly, it's based on some older analysis done for The Hidden Game of Football that looked at the value of yards and yards toward a first down. I haven't read it, but intuitively it makes sense that not every completion is a success--anything that doesn't get you a first down on third down or fourth down is easy, but also any 0-yard completion, and I expect the numbers probably come from the chances of getting a first down based on the yardage gained on the play--e.g. your chances of getting a first down if you get 45% or more of the required yards on first down, etc.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Intruder posted:

Kirk Cousins is cerebral and a leader while Cam offers only athleticism

Dogwhistle at its finest

poo poo, more like an air horn at this point.

evilweasel posted:

The stuff after the Super Bowl about Brady made it seem like what he does that's great for the team is being a follower, not a leader. He's not about trying to be the leader of the team, he's about trying to do exactly what Belichick tells him to do.

Sounds about right. Supposedly Belichick rips on Brady in film review in front of everyone more than anybody, and Brady always takes it without bitching. He sets the example for accepting coaching and doing what you're told as much as anything.

Blitz7x posted:

During the Superbowl the camera panned over Brady and she said "that guy is kinda cute, who is that" so I've already deleted Facebook and hit the gym and now I'm lawyering up

Edit wait this isn't E/N

Postseason NFL, same thing.

Nov 6, 2002

I think Brady's "leadership" skills are more about work ethic and preparation than anything he says on the sidelines.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Brady is such a great leader why won't anyone give him a high five

Blitz7x posted:

Edit wait this isn't E/N

Show her the NFL's most attractive man Joe Flacco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

• Locked thread