Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
bo5 is great as a standalone final. This was especially true when they still ran Upper/Lower bracket stages, so the winner of the Upper Bracket came in with a map advantage. I still remember the mousesports vs Hellraisers bo7(!!) as one of the best finals in CS:GO.

What's great about bo5 is that it is a true variance eliminator. You can be almost certain that the overall winner is the better team. There's no obligation to sit through the entire thing, but there's also no guarantee it will go all the way to five maps either. We should really be using the ruleset used in the International or something close to it, which is a thing that used to happen in CS lans. Swiss format groups, then Upper/Lower Bracket with both sides bo3, at least from a certain point onwards, then a bo5 final with an Upper bracket map advantage.

Lower bracket redemption storylines are a thing I miss, and also the really bullshit stuff that happens in a single bracket elimination where two of the best teams end up playing in the QFs. We get the "real" finals happening in the QFs and SFs in CS:GO Majors waaaay too often imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Best of 5's are great because the winning team really should have a grasp of a lot of maps instead of just a select couple that they purposefully aim for. How is more CS a bad thing.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
maybe because it takes too loving long

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Terrific Accident posted:

Best of 5's are great because the winning team really should have a grasp of a lot of maps instead of just a select couple that they purposefully aim for. How is more CS a bad thing.

By the time you get to the 4th and 5th maps, the teams are whiffing shots because they're exhausted from concentrating for 4 hours straight.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
BO5 stretched over 2 days would be pretty cool.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Literally every other esport uses bo5

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
and it's not unheard of for sports matches to run for 2-3 hours

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Literally every other esport uses bo5

Yeah but Dota and League are boring as poo poo so it's not like you notice a difference.

metallicaeg posted:

and it's not unheard of for sports matches to run for 2-3 hours

Most bo3s are 3 hours, bo5 would probably be around 7 hours including breaks unless it's a clean sweep.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 21, 2017

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
I can't even handle a full bo3 when they keep hiring Sadokist

Gimme like Henryg+Bardolph and I'll vote for bo9s though

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

Most bo3s are 3 hours, bo5 would probably be around 7 hours including breaks unless it's a clean sweep.

Unless they decide to give everyone a 1 hour break, I don't see how it's going to be 7 hours, not on average anyway. Seeing as there's more maps, it'll go into overtime less often as well. Or not and you have an incredible match to watch. BO5 is a bit long for my taste as well, but the upper/lower bracket thing with the upper one starting on 1-0 sounds pretty good.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Stumbletron posted:

If you think Sadokist is worse than Semmler and Fat rear end Anders, you sir are wrong.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Stumbletron posted:

I'm sorry you don't like the best caster combo in HenryG and Sadokist.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006

Kwilty posted:

If you think Sadokist is worse than Semmler and Fat rear end Anders, you sir are wrong.
they're a worse combo but they don't have henryg

sadokist is the worst caster and henryg is so much better than any of the others it's embarrassing

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I think I like pretty much all the top casters and that cs is pretty lucky in terms of the talent that comes with most events

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
I don't know if the casting changed or my tolerance for esports just ran out but I haven't watched a bo3 without muting at least one map for maybe 18 months :shrug:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I want to see Bardolph+HenryG, shame it will never happen

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Seditiar posted:

Unless they decide to give everyone a 1 hour break, I don't see how it's going to be 7 hours, not on average anyway. Seeing as there's more maps, it'll go into overtime less often as well. Or not and you have an incredible match to watch. BO5 is a bit long for my taste as well, but the upper/lower bracket thing with the upper one starting on 1-0 sounds pretty good.

Honestly I think they should give an hour break if it goes to 4 maps. That's not good for your wrists to go straight through like that. Maybe 7 hours is high, but easily 6 considering top teams are pretty even, and I doubt clean sweeps would be the average.

I would be down for the upper bracket getting an advantage though.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
League and dota also allow for players to be subbed in after each game

Have no idea if it's possible in cs but I could see that making the scene real weird

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Stumbletron posted:

they're a worse combo but they don't have henryg

sadokist is the worst caster and henryg is so much better than any of the others it's embarrassing

How can he be the worst caster when he can do poo poo like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHWP9Fh6HQ
He keeps it more interesting with his word play, his rhyming and weird analogies. The banter between henry and him is always good too.

Then you have
"Are you kidding ME?" & "that's so sick", "huge play", "peekaboo"

I'll give you that bardolph is a strong caster but Ddk falls way short and it hurts when ever he takes over.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

sterster posted:

How can he be the worst caster when he can do poo poo like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHWP9Fh6HQ
He keeps it more interesting with his word play, his rhyming and weird analogies. The banter between henry and him is always good too.

Then you have

I'll give you that bardolph is a strong caster but Ddk falls way short and it hurts when ever he takes over.

Apart from

quote:

He keeps it more interesting with his word play, his rhyming and weird analogies.

Sadokist isn't any different from:

quote:

Except his knowledge of the game is even more lacking. That being said, I used to absolutely hate Sadokist a year or so back, but he's been improving a shitload. Still though, give James/HenryG, or Anders/HenryG.

As for analysts, I can't be the only one who thinks ynk is the only actual analist on any event, ever. On the Major he wasn't there and the "analysis" basically boiled down to some banter and "Yeah in round 7 <insert team> really did a number on <insert team 2>!" *queue ending of analysis*.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
1.5 @ 800

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Audax posted:

1.5 @ 800

420@69

stump collector
May 28, 2007

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

2.5 @ 400

800x600 stretched

all about them wun teps

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Seditiar posted:

Except his knowledge of the game is even more lacking. That being said, I used to absolutely hate Sadokist a year or so back, but he's been improving a shitload. Still though, give James/HenryG, or Anders/HenryG.

As for analysts, I can't be the only one who thinks ynk is the only actual analist on any event, ever. On the Major he wasn't there and the "analysis" basically boiled down to some banter and "Yeah in round 7 <insert team> really did a number on <insert team 2>!" *queue ending of analysis*.

I think the issue with Henry G and James is that you have two true color commentators, basically what amount to the filler when there's nothing going on in the game. If you put them together they're going to either run over each others dialogues or you're going to be missing out on ones insight for the majority of the game. Also Anders "He really really should have done x instead of x there" is the only 'insight' I ever hear from him.

Seditiar posted:

This is 100% true. Thorin just makes poo poo up and tries to pass like he was right. Spunge is alright, but I feel like he never has an actual point when he speaks. Dazed and Moe actually were probably the two next best analysts behind ynk that I've seen, and both actually had solid personalities to tide over the random awkward things they throw in (The chip betting thing from DreamHack).

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I actually really liked Dazed as a caster/analyst. I bet his ban precludes him from working at the desk during Valve events, right?

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Doesn't make a lot of sense either since the casters are always throwing back to the desk

surc
Aug 17, 2004

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I actually really liked Dazed as a caster/analyst. I bet his ban precludes him from working at the desk during Valve events, right?

I looked this up like a week ago out of curiosity, because I couldn't remember if they were actually banned from casting. They are banned from "participation in any capacity in Valve-sponsored events", which is real lame. I really think they should let them cast/do analysis/sell hot dogs.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Hey I'm very sorry if this is a common question but the OP doesn't address it: what is up with the insane fps drops when the buy menu is up? I came back to this the other weekend on a 1080 and it ran like dogshit despite being optimized by the nvidia control. What gives?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Which is still weird to me, doesn't Valve basically push their rules down tournament organizers' throats? So why is Dazed casting/analyzing somewhere on a big tournament?

I mean I'm not complaining, he is indeed one of the better analysts after ynk, just curious.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

frest posted:

Hey I'm very sorry if this is a common question but the OP doesn't address it: what is up with the insane fps drops when the buy menu is up? I came back to this the other weekend on a 1080 and it ran like dogshit despite being optimized by the nvidia control. What gives?

This happens to me after awhile and if I quit steam and relaunch it, it goes away. No idea what causes it but restarting steam works 100% of the time for me.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

creatine posted:

This happens to me after awhile and if I quit steam and relaunch it, it goes away. No idea what causes it but restarting steam works 100% of the time for me.
Ok. I tend to leave my machine on for ridiculous uptimes and admittedly it has probably been a long time since I relaunched steam, so I'll give it a shot.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Seditiar posted:

Which is still weird to me, doesn't Valve basically push their rules down tournament organizers' throats? So why is Dazed casting/analyzing somewhere on a big tournament?

I mean I'm not complaining, he is indeed one of the better analysts after ynk, just curious.

Valve only has input on Valve sponsored majors/minors, presumably because they are fronting some/all of the prize money. There are other tournaments without Valve input where even the banned pros could compete as players. However, no decent team will pick them up because they are ineligible to play in the most prestigious tournaments.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, Valve is definitely not omnipotent. Just look at how few tournaments use Swiss, or how few use the randomiser, or hell, just look to DH Vegas, where they brought back coach IGLing.

EDIT: and I think this is a good thing, variety is the spice of life, even though Valve rules really seem to be better in most cases.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Jeza posted:

Valve only has input on Valve sponsored majors/minors, presumably because they are fronting some/all of the prize money. There are other tournaments without Valve input where even the banned pros could compete as players. However, no decent team will pick them up because they are ineligible to play in the most prestigious tournaments.

Yeah, but even the weirdest, out of nowhere, rule changes from Valve were instantly picked up by some (ESL on the igl thing), because otherwise Valve would (presumably) not choose them to host a major, until they did. I would guess this is the same for banned people. Guess not, or maybe not all organizers give a gently caress.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Seditiar posted:

Yeah, but even the weirdest, out of nowhere, rule changes from Valve were instantly picked up by some (ESL on the igl thing), because otherwise Valve would (presumably) not choose them to host a major, until they did. I would guess this is the same for banned people. Guess not, or maybe not all organizers give a gently caress.

I mean there is certainly a little bit of capitulation. Valve wanted to present a coherent standard, and most event runners had more to lose by pissing off the devs than just by going along with it. But realistically, Valve doesn't have much choice when it comes to hiring ESL. I'd chalk it up to them having a cosy working relationship.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Valve's coach ruling was actually insanely good and not weird in the slightest

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Valve's coach ruling was actually insanely good and not weird in the slightest

It was and it wasn't, it should have been communicated to the teams and given them more time to adjust.

Aka Na'vi got hosed

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Photex posted:

It was and it wasn't, it should have been communicated to the teams and given them more time to adjust.

Aka Na'vi got hosed

Oh sure, the implementation was certainly not perfect but I am very much behind the core idea and their reasoning for clarifying their position on in game coaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I think allowing coaches to speak during freeze time wouldn't be a bad idea.