Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The comic was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's the definition of a mixed bag, Pacino is amazing in it. Everything else, not so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Garcia's pretty good in it too. The story as a whole is bad but I think it should be watched once if only because you've probably seen Godfather 1 and 2 a hundred times.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Is there anywhere that summarizes in any fashion the general traffic the CD subforum gets compared to, say, Games? After a decade of people calling SA a dead forum I really don't have a good sense of how many people are active here, except that I generally recognize 90% of posters around here nowadays. It would still be weird if it turned out there are only like 80 posters active more than once a week or something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Electromax posted:

Is there anywhere that summarizes in any fashion the general traffic the CD subforum gets compared to, say, Games? After a decade of people calling SA a dead forum I really don't have a good sense of how many people are active here, except that I generally recognize 90% of posters around here nowadays. It would still be weird if it turned out there are only like 80 posters active more than once a week or something.

I look at the "Users Browsing" a forum thing occasionally but I don't think there is a metric/graphed stats page.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Having just rewatched the first two Godfather movies (which are on-topic in this thread, thanks to The Godfather Chronicles comic), is the third movie worth watching at all, considering I already own the trilogy box set? I never bothered because of how famously bad it is, but is it just bad in comparison to the first two, or should it be completely ignored?

It's not as awful as it's made out to be but it is indeed a bad movie. The script is lame and never achieves more than feeling like a generic pastiche of mob movie cliches compared to the first two setting the bar. I mean the first two movies have a lot to say about organized crime, family, being an immigrant, racism, government, toxic masculinity if you want to use more recent terminology, and so on, but all the third one has to say is "Godafther I and II sure did make a lot of money, let's do this again" and you can really feel it while watching.

A couple of the major cast members give horrendous performances that further drag it down. IMO though Pacino is awesome in it and the final act of the movie and its ending is great. Maybe wait a couple of months or something though because coming off Godfather II it's going to feel like the worst movie ever made. It's honestly best viewed as "I'm doing other tasks in a room that has a TV" viewing, then tune in more closely for the last like 45 minutes.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you're looking for another Pacino movie with comic book connections to watch, just watch Dick Tracy. Definitely better than Godfather Part III.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Electromax posted:

There's the "Posting Gloryhole" at the top although it's not exactly what you're looking for either. Honestly though when people call SA a dead forum it's more in the sense that this place isn't growing anymore. Like, anyone who regged in 2016/2017 is almost 100% gonna be a rereg of someone else. As is, SA's still a relatively large/fast moving forum, it's just that it's already begun to die the slow death.
Although even that's going 2 take forever because there's still lurkers, people who come in from other subforums, etc.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

incidentally I rewatched A History of Violence the other day and man is that movie still so loving good. Viggo Mortensen in that is probably in like my top 20 film performances ever.

Agreed. Ed Harris is fantastic in it too. Mulholland Drive tops a lot of "Best Films of the 21st Century" lists but I think A History of Violence needs to be in running more.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Having just rewatched the first two Godfather movies (which are on-topic in this thread, thanks to The Godfather Chronicles comic), is the third movie worth watching at all, considering I already own the trilogy box set? I never bothered because of how famously bad it is, but is it just bad in comparison to the first two, or should it be completely ignored?

Eh, it's safe to ignore it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Trivia: Al Pacino went on the record to say that Guardians of the Galaxy is amazing and that drove him to speak with Kevin Feige about appearing in a Marvel flick but that was in 2015 so I guess nothing really came of it.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Al-Pacino-Might-Seriously-Guardians-Galaxy-2-Here-Evidence-70091.html

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Agreed. Ed Harris is fantastic in it too. Mulholland Drive tops a lot of "Best Films of the 21st Century" lists but I think A History of Violence needs to be in running more.

And Maria Bello, and William Hurt. I remember at the time thinking it was weird that Hurt got an Oscar nomination for what's basically a cameo, but man he is so powerfully off-kilter in that one scene that he deserved it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah nah, the movies should be based on comics, not have comics written about them after the fact, unless there's a plethora of comics. Predators works because there's like 50 comic seires out there of them.

:colbert:

For instance, if Godfather 1-2 had inspired comics of them and then GF 3 was made as a result of or in conjunction with those comics being developed, then GF 3 would be okay here. That's why Power Rangers fits, since there are many comics spanning the life of the series. Also, don't waste your time with Godfather 3. It's not good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

And Maria Bello, and William Hurt. I remember at the time thinking it was weird that Hurt got an Oscar nomination for what's basically a cameo, but man he is so powerfully off-kilter in that one scene that he deserved it.

I'm still amazed that "how do you gently caress that up?!" didn't became some kind of internet meme in the years after its release.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm still amazed that "how do you gently caress that up?!" didn't became some kind of internet meme in the years after its release.

me and my friends were definitely referring to each other as "broheim" for a while after seeing that movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Drifter posted:

Also, don't waste your time with Godfather 3. It's not good.

Sounds like somebody is jealous of Francis Ford Coppola's biceps.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, it always stands out as an odd nomination when I think about it but any time I watch the film it makes perfect sense. His scene with Viggo is riveting. But, I mean, Viggo's scenes with anyone in that movie are riveting, soooo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it always stands out as an odd nomination when I think about it but any time I watch the film it makes perfect sense. His scene with Viggo is riveting. But, I mean, Viggo's scenes with anyone in that movie are riveting, soooo.

the bit where Maria Bello asks if he killed for money or for fun and he accidentally lets "both" slip out and she throws up is amazing.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The "it was available" line always get a laugh from me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you're looking for another Pacino movie with comic book connections to watch, just watch Dick Tracy. Definitely better than Godfather Part III.

For sure.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gavok posted:

Sounds like somebody is jealous of Francis Ford Coppola's biceps.

That was NOT my Batman for sure, I tell you hwhat.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Drifter posted:

Nah nah, the movies should be based on comics, not have comics written about them after the fact

It should just be a superhero movie thread. As good as A History of Violence is, it's silly to have a thread where it's on-topic next to the Marvel and DC stuff, but Hancock, The Incredibles, Chronicle, and Darkman are not.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

It should just be a superhero movie thread.

nah gently caress that, Valerian's the coolest looking comic book movie coming up and we all know it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nah gently caress that, Valerian's the coolest looking comic book movie coming up and we all know it

hell yeah

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda like the weird mishmash bullshit we have going here.

Mostly because it keeps coming back to Man of Steel

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sir Kodiak posted:

It should just be a superhero movie thread. As good as A History of Violence is, it's silly to have a thread where it's on-topic next to the Marvel and DC stuff, but Hancock, The Incredibles, Chronicle, and Darkman are not.

Superhero and/or alien involved because yeah, Valerian looks fuckin' dope as poo poo.

That means we could discuss the dreadful Jupiter Ascension. Kodiak, movie fight that movie with Fifth Element or something.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It looks rad but that doesn't mean it benefits from sharing a thread that's almost entirely about super-powered costumed vigilantes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Man of Steel, great superhero movie, or greatest superhero movie?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

It looks rad but that doesn't mean it benefits from sharing a thread that's almost entirely about super-powered costumed vigilantes.

the solution is for all of you to talk less about superhero movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kevin Costner's first scene with Clark takes place in a field while adult Clark is dreaming. They got Kevin Costner to literally be in a Field of Dreams.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

This thread has an open borders policy for all topics.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Talk about their fanbases instead!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Drifter posted:

Kodiak, movie fight that movie with Fifth Element or something.

I don't know how to capture how unengaging Mila Kunis is in an animated GIF, unfortunately.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blue is the Warmest Color was good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So was American Splendor

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It was but we probably shouldn't moviefight it with anything

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Talk less
Smile More
Don't let them know
What you're against
Or what you're Thor

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Everyone complaining about what we talk about in here is anti-MoS and BvS - and a Marvel movie apologist. Makes you think.

Those troublemakers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drifter posted:

Everyone complaining about what we talk about in here is anti-MoS and BvS - and a Marvel movie apologist. Makes you think.

much like a superhero movie, no it doesn't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Is anime a comic book movie?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm a native French speaker, but I found it mostly laughable, especially when they have their big fall out and they yell at each other. Plus there's that almost ten minutes long sex scene that seemingly serves no other purpose but to satisfy the male gaze of its director. And it really feels like, in substance, the film is trying to say that poor people are too boring to be queer.

YEAH I'M GONNA BRING THE BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR DISCOURSE, LET'S GO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

much like a superhero movie, no it doesn't.

That's only because you're preference veers hard right into the MCU.

• Locked thread