Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

One of my friends has a kid named Gayden.

"Gayden? More like..... oh....umm....."

Checkmate bullies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i know a couple who named they baby Zeus and the momma is muslim so this is several levels of blasphemy, i just dont understand

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
We had our kid at 26 and he's half way out of our house and our genitals still work, pretty soon it will be middle aged swing time

Good luck with your 15 year old teen at 63 years old OP, I'm sure you'll be fine

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
you dont need to be very smart to figure out how to make a kid, if that was the case hoo boy we'd be in trouble

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
One of two scenarios become inevitable when you have a kid:

A) you die first, leaving your child depressed (if you did everything right) which might be enough for them to commit suicide

B) they die first, leaving you depressed which may be enough to push you into committing suicide

Neither of those are worth the risk to me. Though truthfully, I've never felt that pull toward procreation at all. I don't care about babies. Sure, they can be cute, kids seem fun sometimes, but there's nothing at all in my brain that says "you really need one of these in your life, man!"

If you really want to be a parent, more power to you. Some of us truly do not have that urge whatsoever. My wife feels the same way, and it's perfect for us.

I'd never condemn someone for having kids in real life, and it'd be great if people wouldn't try to make me feel bad for not wanting kids casually in conversation when the topic comes up. That poo poo is so rude. My wife gets it way worse than I do, since people like to pretend they know more about how a woman should conduct herself than the woman condescendingly being told "oh, you'll change your mind."

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 21, 2017

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
no intention of having kids

want to keep going 100mph on the open road until i die hard, preferably from a spice overdose

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Goons itt acting like having a child is even an option for them, smh

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nickhimself posted:

One of two scenarios become inevitable when you have a kid:

A) you die first, leaving your child depressed (if you did everything right) which might be enough for them to commit suicide

B) they die first, leaving you depressed which may be enough to push you into committing suicide

Neither of those are worth the risk to me. Though truthfully, I've never felt that pull toward procreation at all. I don't care about babies. Sure, they can be cute, kids seem fun sometimes, but there's nothing at all in my brain that says "you really need one of these in your life, man!"

If you really want to be a parent, more power to you. Some of us truly do not have that urge whatsoever. My wife feels the same way, and it's perfect for us.

I'd never condemn someone for having kids in real life, and it'd be great if people wouldn't try to make me feel bad for not wanting kids casually in conversation when the topic comes up. That poo poo is so rude. My wife gets it way worse than I do, since people like to pretend they know more about how a woman should conduct herself than the woman condescendingly being told "oh, you'll change your mind."

you seriously think people commit suicide when their parents die? what the gently caress? most peoples parents die when they are in their 40's or 50's, you kind of get ready for it.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

ElGroucho posted:

Goons itt acting like having a child is even an option for them, smh

MODS

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Piss de Bundy posted:

you seriously think people commit suicide when their parents die? what the gently caress? most peoples parents die when they are in their 40's or 50's, you kind of get ready for it.

I didn't say they WILL commit suicide. Hell, what if your kid decides to commit suicide before you even die? Or if your partner does it leaving you a single parent with a traumatized child.

Edit: those were worst case scenarios, too. It's not like that's going to be common

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 21, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

unpleasantly turgid posted:

no intention of having kids

want to keep going 100mph on the open road until i die hard, preferably from a spice overdose

Anyone doing crazy amounts of spice should not have a kid. That's Bene Gesserit 101.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just be lovely to them so they're happy when you're gone

Simple solutions folks! :thumbsup:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

Anyone doing crazy amounts of spice should not have a kid. That's Bene Gesserit 101.

LOL, nice

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Piss de Bundy posted:

i am going to name my daughter Avril, after my favorite popstar

and my son, Giovanni, after the leader of team rocket from favorite video game, the pokemon

gonna name my kid paul giamatti

edit: jk im not having a kid lol

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

We had our kid at 26 and he's half way out of our house and our genitals still work, pretty soon it will be middle aged swing time

Good luck with your 15 year old teen at 63 years old OP, I'm sure you'll be fine

or you could just never have kids ever and work in an abortion clinic helping other people make the right choice

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Professor SJW posted:

or you could just never have kids ever and work in an abortion clinic helping other people make the right choice

But they oft won't listen! Oft I say!

e: still a noble pursuit tho

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hardawn posted:

But they oft won't listen! Oft I say!

e: still a noble pursuit tho

show patients how much it costs to raise a kid. tell them to picture the wheelbarrow full of cocaine tgey could buy instead

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax

Professor SJW posted:

show patients how much it costs to raise a kid. tell them to picture the wheelbarrow full of cocaine tgey could buy instead

What is the current street value on a kilo these days? *flips open notebook, readies pencil*

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Toilet Shoes posted:

What is the current street value on a kilo these days? *flips open notebook, readies pencil*

sorry i can only do a rough child to wheelbarrow estimate

smart kids who want to go to college -- thats a wheelbarrow and a half of cocaine. that drops back down to a wheelbarrow if they are smart enough to get full-ride scholarship

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax

Professor SJW posted:

sorry i can only do a rough child to wheelbarrow estimate

smart kids who want to go to college -- thats a wheelbarrow and a half of cocaine. that drops back down to a wheelbarrow if they are smart enough to get full-ride scholarship

What's a goon worth? Negative Barrows?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Toilet Shoes posted:

What's a goon worth? Negative Barrows?

well if you dont abort a kid and they turn into a goon, that means they will be living and sponging off you for life. if you abort the goon child you can save enough to buy five wheelbarrows of cocain over the course of your life

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Strategic Tea posted:

Just be lovely to them so they're happy when you're gone

Simple solutions folks! :thumbsup:

d-dad

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Moridin920 posted:

I will say that my sister is 13 years older than I am and we have always had a very good relationship. I see people who are twins or whatever constantly fighting with their sibling and I feel pity bc that sucks.

13 years is a pretty drat big gap ofc but I think having a bit of a gap is better (if you have a choice ofc).

you keep bringing up being almost-cool with being an uncle but I bet you run screaming from the smell of a dirty diaper

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My dumb gently caress ugly bitch cousin who is fifteen years older than I am has kids but they're autismal as gently caress and it wouldn't shut the gently caress up about minecraft at my uncle's funeral. I hate them all and have a plan to buy tapdancing shoes for that whole side of the family's funeral(s)(hopefully all at once) because I wish they were all dead.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
vomit is way crazier tho, you don't typically see the poop come out, but vomit is

e: wife's sister ran down the hall projectial diarrheaing on the walls

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nickhimself posted:

I didn't say they WILL commit suicide. Hell, what if your kid decides to commit suicide before you even die? Or if your partner does it leaving you a single parent with a traumatized child.

Edit: those were worst case scenarios, too. It's not like that's going to be common

you sound a little paranoid, man. thats like worrying about getting in an accident everytime you get in the car. i'd be way more worried id gently caress the kid up somehow with my parenting style or something than what if baby Avril kill herself

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
My parents had a few kids and I think it has worked out from my prospective, I do not know why they did it though.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i want a happy medium between the mommas i know whos entire identity now seems to be posting about their loving kids and SOULLESS AUTIST WHO COUNTS HIS GOLD KID FREE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I had one kid about 2 years ago at 32.

It really is pretty draining. You don't sleep much, you have to watch them pretty much constantly, and any time they get sick it is terrifying on a number of levels. My wife absolutely refuses to help, and mostly just watches TV or sleeps while I do everything, so that makes things that much more stressful.

Despite that, I don't regret having him at all, but when I look at people with two kids, that poo poo blows my mind. My kid is out of the dreadfully awful Immobile Housebound Baby phase, and the idea of just punching the reset button on that now just boggles my mind.

It was 1 year before I felt anything but pure exhaustion. Things are way easier now. Why would anyone ever put themselves through that hell again?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 22, 2017

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Idk why people in this thread aren't taking the morally superior position of claiming adoption is the best option and how once things settle down you'll really get into looking at it.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Bible posted:

I had one kid about 2 years ago at 32.

It really is pretty draining. You don't sleep much, you have to watch them pretty much constantly, and any time they get sick it is terrifying on a number of levels. My wife absolutely refuses to help, and mostly just watches TV or sleeps while I do everything, so that makes things that much more stressful.

Despite that, I don't regret having him at all, but when I look at people with two kids, that poo poo blows my mind. My kid is out of the dreadfully awful Immobile Housebound Baby phase, and the idea of just punching the reset button on that now just boggles my mind.

It was 1 year before I felt anything but pure exhaustion. Things are way easier now. Why would anyone ever put themselves through that hell again?

your wife refuses to help you with your child? uhhhhhhh....divorce???

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Having kids is funny, because your parenting goalposts move a lot, especially as it relates to behavior in public.

Like when people snort and huff when they sit next to you and your kids on a plane. Hey dude, if you didn't want to risk sitting next to a baby on a 3 hour domestic flight, you should have paid more than $80 for your ticket! I've got a pretty limited toolbox here to chill the kids out!

r/childfree is a goldmine of bitter, angry people who are mad that children exist and it's sad and sometimes funny to encounter them in the wild.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Having kids is funny, because your parenting goalposts move a lot, especially as it relates to behavior in public.

Like when people snort and huff when they sit next to you and your kids on a plane. Hey dude, if you didn't want to risk sitting next to a baby on a 3 hour domestic flight, you should have paid more than $80 for your ticket! I've got a pretty limited toolbox here to chill the kids out!

r/childfree is a goldmine of bitter, angry people who are mad that children exist and it's sad and sometimes funny to encounter them in the wild.

griping online is one thing but to be a dick to a baby on a plane...smh..just smh...

plane travel sucks for everybody, unless you're in business or first class. its just like a big bus that flies, and aint nobody happy on a bus either

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol the best is to fly first class with your screaming baby

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

500 bad things posted:

lol the best is to fly first class with your screaming baby

a first class ticket from Detroit Mi, to Tirana, Albania is 11,000 dollars, THERE BETTER NOT BE ANY loving BABIES IN FIRST CLASS

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

wow most I've paid for a ticket is 5k because it was a sleeper bed seat which was rad

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*captain over loudspeaker* shut that loving baby up or ill crash this plane i swear 2 logic

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Stow your baby in cargo with all the cats and dogs and other animals where it belongs

Be careful when opening compartments as luggage may have SHITTED DURING FLIGHT haha

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Piss de Bundy posted:

*captain over loudspeaker* shut that loving baby up or ill crash this plane i swear 2 logic

at that point i think we are allowed to treat the baby as a terrorist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I don't want kids. No way, Jose.

What I say to dates and girlfriends and such is that I raised myself and don't want to live like that again, always just scraping by. Like, I was provided for, in terms of having a roof over my head, but I was neglected and forced to do everything myself. I didn't have a good home life, I didn't have fun growing up.

It's sad, but I'm approaching mid-30s and I'm still weirded out by casual talk about flying (like the previous few posts.) I've only flown two round trips and each time was a huge drain on my savings. I still haven't been to a different country.

Poverty follows you and I don't want to burden another life by having them live a life like mine. I love all my unborn children and I will give them the greatest gift there is: never introducing them to this world.

I just want to party until corpsetime.

• Locked thread