Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

You think it's a funny idea to put udders on male cows, Hollywood, but you don't know what obsessions you're unwittingly birthing in the dark corners of the internet

you don't know

they knew

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's like a 100% chance this was unintentional, but it kind of feels like the main character of Barnyard was meant to be a transman. He has an udder and no horns, but uses "he/him" pronouns and has a male voice actor. Also, part of the story involves him learning to be more mature so he can be a good parent to his pregnant girlfriends child even though he isn't the calfs biological father.

Actual dialogue from the film:

Dad: I remember when I used to come out here with your sister.

Son: But I don't have a sister?

Dad: Oh, right, that was you.

they knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

A quick reminder of a film I bet most people don't even remember exists:

I knew this movie existed. I never saw it but I remember it being marketed at the time. What I didn't know was that it had like three sequels.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

I knew this movie existed. I never saw it but I remember it being marketed at the time. What I didn't know was that it had like three sequels.

What??????????

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's like a 100% chance this was unintentional, but it kind of feels like the main character of Barnyard was meant to be a transman. He has an udder and no horns, but uses "he/him" pronouns and has a male voice actor. Also, part of the story involves him learning to be more mature so he can be a good parent to his pregnant girlfriends child even though he isn't the calfs biological father.

That's actually cool and I hope it's true

Makes a ton more sense than the "Jasmine is the first transgender Disney princess!" theory

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pick posted:

What??????????

OK, now I feel like a liar because I can't find any evidence of them on the internet, but I swear I saw movie posters of at least two more movies on a streaming service. I thought I'd never heard of them because they were UK exclusive or something.

Edit: I am thinking of Arthur and the Invisibles.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Makes a ton more sense than the "Jasmine is the first transgender Disney princess!" theory

??? :crossarms:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

No Drifter, I said transgender, not taurgender

Oh, here:
http://rambleonamazon.tumblr.com/post/75391607961/can-we-talk-about-dinseys-transgender-princess

Enjoy!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That is a real loving stretch, unlike gay crab sex.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah, I can't prove it, but there's some evidence supporting it such as:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Actual dialogue from the film:

Dad: I remember when I used to come out here with your sister.

Son: But I don't have a sister?

Dad: Oh, right, that was you.

Barnyard isn't a great movie, but the idea that an animation studio managed to secretly make a kids movie with a trans protagonist in a way that's both subtle and blatant is kind of inspiring.

Of course, I could just be reading too much into this and the actual explanation behind things is "Udders are funny!!!!"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Udderly hilarious

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

"But I swear, you post one fox..."

Also, lol that page. haha.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah it sort of reminds me of when someone would show me the constellation Aries and explain to me that there's a whole ram in there.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Argument kind of falls apart though given that all of the bulls in the movie have udders. :shrug:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

No 🦊 given.

🐝🦀

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Edit: I am thinking of Arthur and the Invisibles.

Fun fact, those are all Luc Besson movies, based on books also written by Luc Besson.

Also I just did some clicking around on Wikipedia and they seem like they might be a big deal in Europe. There's some kind of 4D IMAX attaction based on it in France, and here's a rollercoaster in Germany that was opened four years after the last movie was released, and the article even mentions some kind of "Kingdom of the Invisibles" area.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh my god the art in the thread is nice. haha

Except that cup thing. The Funko thing. That's awful.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I like this because it looks more like one of those Nightmare Heffalumps from Winnie the pooh then a amalgamate bee movie creature.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
gay crab sex

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Think of what you could do with ten limbs :heysexy:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pixeltendo posted:

I like this because it looks more like one of those Nightmare Heffalumps from Winnie the pooh then a amalgamate bee movie creature.
Bee Movie, But It Takes Place in the Hundred Acre Wood

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

Bee Movie, But It Takes Place in the Hundred Acre Wood

Reminder that Winnie The Pooh canonically dies in Bee Movie

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've never actually seen Bee Movie, so I had to look that one up.

However, he clearly only had a little nausea for a few hours, but was otherwise fine.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom posted:

gay crab sex

*nods seriously*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

Argument kind of falls apart though given that all of the bulls in the movie have udders. :shrug:

Someone did an article about it an actually asked the director and his answer was that he thinks udders are funny and he didn't put any more thought into it:

quote:

The people at Nickelodeon Movies thought they'd made a nice little kids' cartoon. "Barnyard" was this fun, wacky story about farm animals who stand up on their hind legs and talk when the farmer isn't looking.

Little were they anticipating controversy. But now, the 'Barnyard' folks are faced with one relentless question that just won't go away: Why do the movie's boy cows have udders?

'It's funny. For something that I spent, probably, .002 seconds on, it's become quite the talk,' says Steve Oedekerk, Barnyard's writer-director-producer. 'There was never a real decision made. I get
a lot of images that pop into my head. I've always thought cows are kind of funny animals - and udders are funny.

'They're not there to define gender,' Oedekerk soberly clarifies. 'In the movie, the men are clearly men, the women are clearly women. There's no weird stuff that's going on. It just looks funny'.
https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-9100046.html

... but a whole bunch of people at the studio must have said something. I can't believe that Oedekerk made that decision on the fly and everyone else just accepted it without comment. On the other hand if there really was a 'controversy' like this article claims then I can see Oedekerk deflecting further questions by saying "We did it for the lulz, idk???" rather than explaining his actual decision process.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 21, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone did an article about it an actually asked the director and his answer was that he thinks udders are funny and he didn't put any more thought into it:

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-9100046.html

... but a whole bunch of people at the studio must have said something. I can't believe that Oedekerk made that decision on the fly and everyone else just accepted it without comment. On the other hand if there really was a 'controversy' like this article claims then I can see Oedekerk deflecting further questions by saying "We did it for the lulz, idk???" rather than explaining his actual decision process.

I can guarantee that pretty much nobody outside of cow scientists and tumblr gives any two shits about cartoon funny cows having udders on the boy version. it's certainly not a sticking point. Ask any six year old kid to draw a cow and it'll include udders, since a cow without udders is basically just a fat horse.

I love Death of the Author and if someone can glean meaning from a work that better resonates with their life then fantastic, but that's Jasmine-is-a-transgender-person levels of Breitbart News tinfoillery.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 21, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm just reminded of 90's cartoons and how far people went without asking questions. Particularly Cow & Chicken.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I personally don't care about cow udders at all.

Cow tools on the other hand...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The average city boy ain't even seen a cow :bahgawd:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Das Boo posted:

I'm just reminded of 90's cartoons and how far people went without asking questions. Particularly Cow & Chicken.

How does Catdog poop

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Red Bones posted:

How does Catdog poop

Comes out the cat and the dog eats it

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Honestly, Cow and Chicken's edgyness seems a bit quaint when Steven Universe just has openly gay characters.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Das Boo posted:

dad was proud! he didn't care how! he's a good dad and that's all i need to know :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, Cow and Chicken's edgyness seems a bit quaint when Steven Universe just has openly gay characters.

The Gromble from Aaaaah! Real Monsters cartoon (from the 90's) was a transvestite, and that's even more of a fringe group than being gay.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I, for one, appreciate that we live in a world that would greenlight a show about cow and chicken siblings who live with their below-the-torso human parents and are antagonized by Satan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hedrigall posted:

Think of what you could do with ten limbs :heysexy:

Nine Vagánias.

Imagine.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

N-no.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Nine Vagánias.

Imagine.

John K's attempt at updating 101 Dalmations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Nine Vagánias.

Imagine.

That one always cracks me the gently caress up

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"You sound like two horses."