Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

What I don't get is the hate for DKC3. I'll just chalk it up to fatigue and hate for the main characters.

It's definitely the weakest entry, but it doesn't really deserve the hate. There are the things you mentioned and the whole banana bird runabout. A big problem a lot of people have is that there are so many gimmicks (though I had a lot of fun solving the Koin puzzles) and the soundtrack quality is a bit of a step back from the previous two. I find the platforming a bit more sluggish too.

The game looks fantastic though.

Apparently it was given to Rare's B-team so their best can work on N64 stuff. They should have at least kept Wise around :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

e: thread moves fast

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Apparently it was given to Rare's B-team so their best can work on N64 stuff. They should have at least kept Wise around :argh:

If you want DKC3 with David Wise music, play the GBA version.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

Yeah since so much of the UK gaming scene was games by just one guy, or maybe two, they practiced the sloppiest form of difficulty balancing: since you as the maker did everything else, you're also the sole tester! And he'll, you can beat the game, so anyone should, right?

Even games that had a whole team on one system would tend to get ports made to the other systems, all goddamned 8 of them at a time, by single dudes working alone from the original system. And though the original system would have proper difficulty checks, the port, often with much different game play etc due to radically different hardware, would be barely tested, and often completely unplayable.

Oddly, American homebrew/small developer software of the time on American popular systems (trash 80, apple II, c64, Atari 8 bit, dos) rarely had the sheer bugginess, lack of balance and sheer dickhead difficulty of the British games. Perhaps the Americans just had more pride in their work, or perhaps the quicker shift to disks made it easier to ensure things were done right?

Because the UK had a gigantic budget scene that we didn't really get, once home computers got super saturated here in the early-mid 90's our real budget dollar store stuff was mostly in the shareware model, while in the UK they had budget spectrum/c64 tapes at near dollar store prices all through the 80's, and later amiga/ST disks up to the mid 90's. these were full games but they were also mostly the poo poo bedroom coder stuff. now they have stockholm syndrome for it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Quiet Feet posted:

When did it come into vogue to dislike DKC? I played it last year and it seemed like the exact same game I've always remembered.

Honestly I find the games' graphics to have aged really badly these days, that cluttered prerendered 3D look is almost as ugly to me as a lot of early-gen console 3D from the PSX and the like.

d0s posted:

Because the UK had a gigantic budget scene that we didn't really get, once home computers got super saturated here in the early-mid 90's our real budget dollar store stuff was mostly in the shareware model, while in the UK they had budget spectrum/c64 tapes at near dollar store prices all through the 80's, and later amiga/ST disks up to the mid 90's. these were full games but they were also mostly the poo poo bedroom coder stuff. now they have stockholm syndrome for it

The US totally had a bunch of budget scenes among the various major cities/local computer clubs with stuff filtering out to less populated areas via straight up piracy. You had dudes who would hand copy their own game disk by disk or in the very early days tape by tape and then stuff it in a ziploc bag and take it to local computer stores to be sold. Later on they'd start sending it to various fly by night publishers who would handle the duplication for you, or companies like Keypunch Software where it was sorta-shareware-sorta-not.

Like a lot of Keypunch releases would be 2 or 3 full games for a cheap price on a disk, and then you'd separately pay the developer if you wanted updated versions. But it wasn't like what you got on the Keypunch disk was usually cut down or crippled in the typical shareware way. There were other publishers doing that business model, but Keypunch was the one my parents and older cousins had a lot of disks from in the 80s that I'd end up playing in the 90s.

Of course the US was also able to support actual "full price" games if you want to call it that too, the way the UK market barely could. So tons of US customers simply didn't have to settle for the various low-cost games even when they didn't just buy a console instead.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

al-azad posted:

I felt the same way 20 years ago as I played DKC2 before the first. But some sequels make the originals obsolete. Like I can't recommend Metroid while the remake exists.

What I don't get is the hate for DKC3. I'll just chalk it up to fatigue and hate for the main characters.

For me it was that DKC3 just felt like more of the same. It's not bad but it just doesn't break any new ground.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

Honestly I find the games' graphics to have aged really badly these days, that cluttered prerendered 3D look is almost as ugly to me as a lot of early-gen console 3D from the PSX and the like.

The US totally had a bunch of budget scenes among the various major cities/local computer clubs with stuff filtering out to less populated areas via straight up piracy. You had dudes who would hand copy their own game disk by disk or in the very early days tape by tape and then stuff it in a ziploc bag and take it to local computer stores to be sold. Later on they'd start sending it to various fly by night publishers who would handle the duplication for you, or companies like Keypunch Software where it was sorta-shareware-sorta-not.

Like a lot of Keypunch releases would be 2 or 3 full games for a cheap price on a disk, and then you'd separately pay the developer if you wanted updated versions. But it wasn't like what you got on the Keypunch disk was usually cut down or crippled in the typical shareware way. There were other publishers doing that business model, but Keypunch was the one my parents and older cousins had a lot of disks from in the 80s that I'd end up playing in the 90s.

I know, but I mean it wasn't a total mass market thing as it was in the UK and more of a nerd thing, as there stuff like the Spectrum or C64 was extremely popular, the way the NES was here. You could get their budget stuff in every supermarket etc

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'd probably be better hacking a Classic Controller Pro apart for the cable, because there's probably a lot less wiring inside a cable supporting all of two buttons, a gyroscope and thumbstick.

After getting a long enough screwdriver, the cables are identical, other than some of the outer insulation being stripped off and a big strain relief added on the Nunchuk's cable.

The down side is that they're not plugged in like it appears, they're long pins run through a plastic block that makes it look like a plug, but they're soldered on. And I'm rusty enough with a soldering iron that it's not worth it.

So at this point, I think I'm just going to see if Gamestop has any used real Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pros, or buy one of those PDP GameCube controller clones that uses the Wiimote port. The NES Classic can now run other system's games, but a lot of the 3rd party Classic controllers don't work right on it. And I need the extra buttons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In terms of graphics I think DKC1-3 are more visually appealing and interesting than Returns or Tropical Freeze.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Quiet Feet posted:

Do you have a link to the above? My Saturn is one of the oval button types and I'm curious.

Not sure about the rules linking places that sell it so I'd rather be safe than sorry, but search for Phantom Universal Mod-Chip.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Mak0rz posted:

It's definitely the weakest entry, but it doesn't really deserve the hate. There are the things you mentioned and the whole banana bird runabout. A big problem a lot of people have is that there are so many gimmicks (though I had a lot of fun solving the Koin puzzles) and the soundtrack quality is a bit of a step back from the previous two. I find the platforming a bit more sluggish too.

The game looks fantastic though.

Well put. I also think it doesn't deserve the hate.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

If you want DKC3 with David Wise music, play the GBA version.

Wait, he did that? What on earth happened?

E: Actually looks like he was involved in the SNES original's soundtrack too, along with Eveline Fischer. I just can't seem to find info on what tracks he actually did. I just assumed it wasn't him because it was just kind of uninspired compared to DKC2. Then again, Fischer did compose some really good tracks in DKC1 so it's not like she's bad or anything.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Heran Bago posted:

If I were to only ever play a single James Pond game, which should it be?

I would say Operation Starfish. I've never played the first one and Robocod never quite clicked with me. I always liked the setting and size of 3, though the character is just that bit too fast for the level design.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

In terms of graphics I think DKC1-3 are more visually appealing and interesting than Returns or Tropical Freeze.

Agreed. And although I agree that DKC2 is the top dog, DKC1 manages some crazy atmosphere for a Super Nintendo game about a gorilla trying to steal back his bananas.

I've always wondered how Dave Wise and the others decided on the Vangelis and Kitaro kind of styles for the soundtrack. Obviously they were looking to go big epic adventure but holy poo poo.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

beepstreet posted:

I've always wondered how Dave Wise and the others decided on the Vangelis and Kitaro kind of styles for the soundtrack. Obviously they were looking to go big epic adventure but holy poo poo.

Wise is/was an actual jazz musician IIRC.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

cda posted:

Well put. I also think it doesn't deserve the hate.

Yeah i gotta agree with that post too, it was well said.

:glomp:

Also maybe if more people were recreationally using marijuana there would be less hate and more love in this world.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

mak0rz on point as usual

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

MrWillsauce posted:

mak0rz on point as usual

This being my "usual" is news to me v:v:v

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Wait, he did that? What on earth happened?

E: Actually looks like he was involved in the SNES original's soundtrack too, along with Eveline Fischer. I just can't seem to find info on what tracks he actually did. I just assumed it wasn't him because it was just kind of uninspired compared to DKC2. Then again, Fischer did compose some really good tracks in DKC1 so it's not like she's bad or anything.

When it came time to port DKC3 to the GBA, they couldn't rely on the same process to convert the music from the original game like they did with DKC1 and 2, and it was going to take longer to make the conversion process work than it would for them to just make new music, so the decision was made to rescore DKC3 and David Wise did that. The soundtrack to the GBA version is completely different.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't know which I'd say is better overall, just that this is my favorite track and it wouldn't have occurred had they not completely redone the soundtracks, so some good came of it all.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

When it came time to port DKC3 to the GBA, they couldn't rely on the same process to convert the music from the original game like they did with DKC1 and 2, and it was going to take longer to make the conversion process work than it would for them to just make new music, so the decision was made to rescore DKC3 and David Wise did that. The soundtrack to the GBA version is completely different.

I knew it was rewritten, I just didn't know Wise was behind it. The music is... much worse and not the kind of stellar quality I expect from David Wise. Aside from his Aquatic Ambiance remix the soundtrack is overall pretty bad. Chances are having to work with the GBA sound hardware (which was notoriously awful) is partly to blame.

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't know which I'd say is better overall, just that this is my favorite track and it wouldn't have occurred had they not completely redone the soundtracks, so some good came of it all.

My favorite part of this is the segue into Sweet Home Alabama.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, but the music is... worse? It's not the kind of stellar quality I expect from David Wise. Aside from his Aquatic Ambiance remix the soundtrack is overall pretty bad. Chances are having to work with the GBA sound hardware (which was notoriously awful) is to blame.

Well that and the aforementioned crunch time.

I kind of agree, it's a lot more bubbly. I think that's true of Tropical Freeze though, too (though that one sounds fantastic and fits it's art style and also wasn't constrained by a GBA).

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 21, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Heran Bago posted:

Well, I have only played the second one (and that was many years ago) and I understand it's supposed to be the best of the lot. I'm really not an expert on lovely European mascot platformers, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Saturn mod talk

I have my PAL console modded with a 50/60 switch and a modchip. I prefer this so I can still use the AR cart for save storage space, since the Saturn' internal memory fills up so fast when you play all kinds of different games.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Heran Bago posted:

Super James Pond

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Here's the second prototype of my Amiga jump remapper, now it retains the second button when off for games that use it so it never has to be disconnected, and allows either second button only for jumping when on or both second button and up so going up ladders and stuff in certain games isn't awkward, controlled by the secondary silver switch:

This is still hacked together with Radioshack parts and not exactly nice enough to sell to other people yet (a lot of the inside contacts are too close for comfort due to the weird design of the radioshack project box) but I'm looking for different parts to buy in bulk and will make a batch of 20 to see how demand is. It's made a lot of Amiga games way more enjoyable to play with a pad for me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TeaJay posted:

re: Saturn mod talk

I have my PAL console modded with a 50/60 switch and a modchip. I prefer this so I can still use the AR cart for save storage space, since the Saturn' internal memory fills up so fast when you play all kinds of different games.

Something I learned recently is that the Amiga CD32's internal storage, available for save games, was a single kilobyte. 1024 bytes. It makes the Saturn's 32 kilobytes, or even the Sega CD's 8 kilobytes, look positively spacious.

Other points of comparison: 3DO with 32 KB, Pippin with 128 KB, CD-i with 8 KB or 32 KB (depends on model). And of course the PS1 has no onboard storage but each memory card is 128 KB. And the Atari Jaguar CD had no onboard storage but the Memory Track card had 128 KB.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

Here's the second prototype of my Amiga jump remapper, now it retains the second button when off for games that use it so it never has to be disconnected, and allows either second button only for jumping when on or both second button and up so going up ladders and stuff in certain games isn't awkward, controlled by the secondary silver switch:

This is still hacked together with Radioshack parts and not exactly nice enough to sell to other people yet (a lot of the inside contacts are too close for comfort due to the weird design of the radioshack project box) but I'm looking for different parts to buy in bulk and will make a batch of 20 to see how demand is. It's made a lot of Amiga games way more enjoyable to play with a pad for me.

This is hilarious but functional and I would argue worth selling if people want an early sloppy version.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
chiming in on DKC : honestly I hate DK, but I have an irrational hatred of monkeys/primates so that's kind of a "thing"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Heran Bago posted:

This is hilarious but functional and I would argue worth selling if people want an early sloppy version.

And considering the games you use it with, an early sloppy version is entirely context appropriate!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

I'm definitely not selling it in that state, if I do end up selling something it's going to be way less of a quick hackjob

edit: I also have to play around with the effects of moving the amiga's +5v which is on pin 5, to the genesis pin 7 (thankfully unused on amiga) so people's autofire controllers work. I have a megafire controller coming in the mail to test that, I just want to make sure it doesn't do anything weird to the genesis controller's multiplexers, as a/b and c/start are controlled by them (which is why I can't map up to A and leave C for games that use the second button natively)

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 22, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Caitlin posted:

chiming in on DKC : honestly I hate DK, but I have an irrational hatred of monkeys/primates so that's kind of a "thing"

That's a funny way to spell misanthropia.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Caitlin posted:

Are you the gbs anonymous confessions poster who gets off to monkeys being murdered?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Are you the gbs anonymous confessions poster who gets off to monkeys being murdered?

no can't say I am I don't think I've been to GBS in well over 5-7 years also I don't get off to uh anything being murdered? even if I think monkeys are dumb and ugly

Star Man posted:

That's a funny way to spell misanthropia.

this is something awful after all :shrug:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This was my first thought as well. I haven't visited GBS in a while, is there a new confessions thread?

Trying to think of something on-topic... I played Kabuki Quantum Fighter for the first time the other day. Seems like a neat game, but I was struggling with the controls a bit (connecting with jumping hairwhips was difficult) but it might've just been BizHawk being laggy. I didn't have vsync on so :shrug:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

This was my first thought as well. I haven't visited GBS in a while, is there a new confessions thread?

Trying to think of something on-topic... I played Kabuki Quantum Fighter for the first time the other day. Seems like a neat game, but I was struggling with the controls a bit (connecting with jumping hairwhips was difficult) but it might've just been BizHawk being laggy. I didn't have vsync on so :shrug:

That game controls fine on real hardware but does require some precise timing so it's probably the emulator. It's a great game imo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The latter half of Kabuki Quantum Fighter is pretty fun but it takes a while to warm up, I feel.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kabuki Quantum Fighter is my game and I love it and we're going to get married some day and none of you can have any.

For real though it feels like Ninja Gaiden and Contra had a baby, though it's definitely easier than either of them. Particularly when you realize that you can swap your health and chip energy during boss fights.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

d0s posted:

Maybe look into designing a 3D printed enclosure instead of the project box. Those Radio Shack project boxes are pretty lovely and hard to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think I've posted this before but I think the first DKC has great music and controls really well, but is let down by visual design that actively makes the game annoying to play. The levels aren't that great either. But as long as DK64 and Donkey Kong Land exist it is not the worst Donkey Kong game.

Also, Kabuki Quantum Fighter is one of those games that game out when everybody had figured out how to squeeze every drop out of the Famicom/NES and as a result it winds up being really cool.

• Locked thread