Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Also apparently the CBA has language in it that lets the owners implement rule changes without MLBPA approval or input from the second year onward. If you can't stop it from happening anyway, might as well... stall it for now I guess? idk.

This is the mound they wanna die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

90% of the rule changes Manfred has proposed are terrible or accomplish nothing so I can't wait for his dictatorial reign to begin

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ice To Meet You posted:

90% of the rule changes Manfred has proposed are terrible or accomplish nothing so I can't wait for his dictatorial reign to begin

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/834148876445687808

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Manfred is awful.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

That's it! Slippery Mounds!
I used to exotic dance etc.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

What could the PA possibly have gotten in return for giving the owners and commissioner unilateral control over rule changes?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I swear to fuckin God if Manfred implements that stupid loving runner on second rule imma lose my poo poo

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

smaller strike zone is poo poo, but I'd be ok with the rest.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spoeank posted:

I swear to fuckin God if Manfred implements that stupid loving runner on second rule imma lose my poo poo

This should only be implemented after the 15th inning or something, not right away in the 10th.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is pace of play really an issue for so many fans that we need a play clock, and substitution limits, and college football style overtime rules, and no more September callups, and all these radical rule changes? Are there that many people who would watch baseball, if only the games were ten minutes shorter?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The higher strike zone should have been approved, imo. Would have given offense a nice jolt

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/834176313917308932

Balkin' Bob is no more

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Gonna miss Jim Joyce's strike calls.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Your Taint posted:

This should only be implemented after the 15th inning or something, not right away in the 10th.

15th inning is fine because weird baseball shenanigans aside you're starting to tax pitchers and potentially hurt people and you're getting into 5th outfielders and backup catchers and it's bad baseball (right up until the utility infielder starts warming up)

10th is stuuuuuuupid. "I don't want more fun high leverage situations with good players" said nobody ever

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Is pace of play really an issue for so many fans that we need a play clock, and substitution limits, and college football style overtime rules, and no more September callups, and all these radical rule changes? Are there that many people who would watch baseball, if only the games were ten minutes shorter?

This is the disconnect between the discussion and what they're thinking. They don't care about the fans they have now, we're stuck and probably going to stay around anyway. They're spitballing ideas to try to get new fans.

Whether these ideas will do anything about that is pretty damned arguable, but that's the aim. Something about millennials goes here.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Teaser is out for Prince Fielders new cooking show titled "Fielders Choice".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl56-99Kweo

It appears to just be Prince Fielder eating food on camera.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Pussy Boss posted:

Speaking for my own self, I don't mind a 4 hour game that is exciting as gently caress. What I strongly dislike is when in the 7th inning managers get all into Playing The Percentages and start visiting the mound every 4 pitches and swapping out pitchers every 10 pitches and the game grinds to a suicidal halt and we have to watch a bunch of truck and beer commercials. It reminds me of the NFL...after a touchdown....score TD (commercial) extra point (commercial) kickoff (commercial) or god forbid the last 2 minutes of a sort-of-close basketball game and it just kinda sucks. This might make me a bad fan but I'm ok with that label.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah I think you could do some interesting game and strategy changes to bullpen management that would help pace of play. Relievers must face a minimum of three, ect.

If baseball wants new fans it needs to make itself more accessible. MLB.tv is a start, kill the blackout rule, lower the price, and work on more social media/interaction

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I think the reality is that no one gives a crap about long games if there's poo poo happening, people care about it when a game ends 3-2 or 4-3 and it took over 3 hours to do it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Judges, do we have an official BSOHL for Matt Kemp? They're signaling "no", but it's close:

quote:

"He looks great," Braves manager Brian Snitker said. "When I saw him, I said, 'You look like you did when you played center field for the Dodgers. He's in great shape."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Give him every Emmy.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
All of those are good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jeff Passan did some good reporting on Garrett Richards' recovery from a partial tear using stem cells and avoiding TJS:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-baseball-players-are-trying-stem-cells-to-avoid-tommy-john-162916970.html

Still in progress, but Richards recovered in a few months as opposed to being out for 14 months with TJS, so uh... cool.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Popete posted:

Teaser is out for Prince Fielders new cooking show titled "Fielders Choice".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl56-99Kweo

Is this even on a network or is Prince just going to webcast "now watch me eat 40 pizza rolls"?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Is this even on a network or is Prince just going to webcast "now watch me eat 40 pizza rolls"?

quote:

PF: I have a food show that's going to be streaming on Netflix and Hulu.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Jeff Passan did some good reporting on Garrett Richards' recovery from a partial tear using stem cells and avoiding TJS:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-baseball-players-are-trying-stem-cells-to-avoid-tommy-john-162916970.html

Still in progress, but Richards recovered in a few months as opposed to being out for 14 months with TJS, so uh... cool.

Garrett Richards posted:

“Science, bro,” Richards said. “I’m a believer now.”

:science:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Comptroll The Forums posted:

It's on Netflix

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Next article on Brietbart: CURT SCHILLING - Aborted Fetuses Have No Place in the Locker Room

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

That article mentions that two vets went to Zurich in search of rehabbing their arms, so I'm curious as to who they are

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

seiferguy posted:

Next article on Brietbart: CURT SCHILLING - Aborted Fetuses Have No Place in the Locker Room

Is that why Chris Sale just ripped up a bunch of maternity gowns

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/834202359374884864

I don't hate it but it seems so drat silly a thing to legislate

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

doing away with the 4 pitch intentional walk does diddly-poo poo about any real pace of play issues.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Judges, do we have an official BSOHL for Matt Kemp? They're signaling "no", but it's close:

He does look like he's dropped a few pounds. Let's just hope they don't find him and Bartolo Colon passed out in a Waffle House covered in syrup and hash browns.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

will_colorado posted:

doing away with the 4 pitch intentional walk does diddly-poo poo about any real pace of play issues.

You're getting 10's of seconds of your life back each year!

Yeah I agree some of this stuff is just dumb and changing poo poo just for the sake of changing poo poo.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
But I like wild pitches on IBB attempts :( also someone mentioned it can mess with the rhythm of the pitcher having to lob 4 balls and then go back to trying to throw as hard as they can . i dunno how true that is but it seems like a silly part of the game to remove

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grittybeard posted:

This is the disconnect between the discussion and what they're thinking. They don't care about the fans they have now, we're stuck and probably going to stay around anyway. They're spitballing ideas to try to get new fans.

Whether these ideas will do anything about that is pretty damned arguable, but that's the aim. Something about millennials goes here.

The thing that would help them the most is starting postseason games an hour or so earlier so the people who have to go to work the next morning can stay up and watch the whole thing live.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I honestly don't even know what an argument against a non-instant intentional walk is, other than that cool thing Miggy did once.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

It was a key component in 2014 EYBS against the Nats too

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I honestly don't even know what an argument against a non-instant intentional walk is, other than that cool thing Miggy did once.

Pitchers get the yips sometimes throwing at a catchers glove held out to the side and it's hilarious when it happens every few years.

More to your point an intentional walk doesn't really slow the game down much so, sure, whatever. Change it. It just isn't the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

When the opposing team IBBs one of your guys, it's fun to hoot and holler at him and call him a big scaredy wuss, so this rule change sucks because it takes away one of my hooting and hollering opportunities.

• Locked thread