Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

No offense but I doubt it. That clip is poo poo.

Why can't people ape Hamil, or Nicholson? Or fuckin Ceaser Romero over Ledger?

Ledger is still on shelves in Hot Topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

No offense but I doubt it. That clip is poo poo.

He does. Jerome fluctuates between all of those. Except Romero, I think.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Ledger is the Batman your audience (to say nothing of the people acting), age-wise, is most known.

In other news (which I might've missed, I'll wipe this line if so, but surprise surprise The Great Wall ain't doing well.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

I agree, Natalie Portman would have been a great choice

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nice to see Sterling K. Brown's left arm getting more work.

Shageletic posted:

lol well that's incredibly dumb.

And didn't know Suicide Squad's BO numbers. All I know is that I sure as hell don't want to watch it.

You chose wisely.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This seems like the right moment to mention that Gore Verbinski spent countless hours cutting trailers and TV spots that he wouldn't let marketing professionals cut and Cure for Wellness made 4 million opening weekend behind a movie about dogs that tried to kill dogs and is in the fourth week of its run so anyway that's pretty much over. The thing I was asked most about that movie was "what is that about?" and that's not generally a good sign.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ammanas posted:

Can you imagine thinking an epic scifi-fantasy trilogy about an intergalactic space queen finding her power being anchored by Mila Kunis is a good idea? Wow.

Mila Kunis speaks fluent Russian and she says it sounds like Klingon, therefore she is a good choice to play an alien queen. Or maybe just cast her as a Klingon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is there are reason Mila Kunis wasn't in Ted 2 or A Million Ways To Die In The West?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just a watched the girl on the train and I have no idea how that lifetime movie of the week scored Emily Blunt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Have they ever officially said he's the Joker or are there just a bunch of mini-Jokers that will eventually Voltron into the real one when Bruce hits puberty?

He spent a good chunk of season 2 and 3 dead so it is hard to say.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Phylodox posted:

The most noteworthy thing about Jupiter Ascending to me was how it felt like there was actually a very interesting universe filled with fascinating worlds and characters and all kinds of compelling stories happening everywhere except on-screen. Like, for whatever reason the Wachowskis decided to tell the most boring part of the story. It felt like it should have been a tie-in comic book to fill in someone's backstory or something. And just when the story shows some promise (okay, so how is Intergalactic Space Queen Mila Kunis gonna handle her new genocidal empire?) they cut to her having space rollerblading lessons and end the movie.

In terms of the plot and backstory of Jupiter Ascending, it actually reminded me of if The Phantom Menace had been the first Star Wars movie and you went into it not knowing about Jedi, Sith, the Force, lightsabers, the Old Republic, Jabba, etc. Not to mention stuff like great set and costume designs in service of truly clunky dialogue and boring subplots. For the record I liked Jupiter Ascending, even if it is definitely flawed.

CelticPredator posted:

I don't think Suicide Squad is great (also don't think it's as bad as it's reputation) but I actually really liked Leto's Joker, especially in the extended version. I don't think it's aping Ledger at all. Really, I think he's closest to Hamill (which I guess makes sense given Harley Quinn being the main focus of his development in the movie). Really, I have to give Ayer or whoever wrote it credit that they included one of DC's most popular characters and instead of building him up as this giant legendary figure that dominates everything like he's usually portrayed, he's basically a secondary-tier character at best where, especially in the extended version, he basically is the one who is overwhelmed by Harley Quinn's personality rather than vice versa.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Just a watched the girl on the train and I have no idea how that lifetime movie of the week scored Emily Blunt.
It was supposed to be Gone Girl 2.0

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the book became a massive hit despite it being written really closely the the formula that made Gone Girl work (but badly). GG explored how 2-3 terrible people's choices are destroying them and their loved ones. Girl in the Train is practically a single man is responsible for all the women's life/death problems, and emily blunt's character being that somethingawful post of the goon stuck in a well

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

This seems like the right moment to mention that Gore Verbinski spent countless hours cutting trailers and TV spots that he wouldn't let marketing professionals cut and Cure for Wellness made 4 million opening weekend behind a movie about dogs that tried to kill dogs and is in the fourth week of its run so anyway that's pretty much over. The thing I was asked most about that movie was "what is that about?" and that's not generally a good sign.

I mean, he made some loving good trailers, it's just that everyone already saw that movie when it was called Shutter Island.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, he made some loving good trailers, it's just that everyone already saw that movie when it was called Shutter Island.

I prefer the movie when it was a sex comedy romp called The Road to Wellville.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

I prefer the movie when it was a sex comedy romp called The Road to Wellville.

...and now I'm aware that's a movie. Seriously, though, the trailers for Cure for Wellness made it look almost exactly like Shutter Island.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Its extra weird he cut the trailers the way he did because the actual film is Dracula.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought Gotham's gimmick was that there were a bunch of characters who could be the Joker but it's never confirmed if they grow up to be the Joker

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I thought Gotham's gimmick was that there were a bunch of characters who could be the Joker but it's never confirmed if they grow up to be the Joker

Nah, this guy is pretty much exactly the Joker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barudak posted:

Its extra weird he cut the trailers the way he did because the actual film is Dracula.

Dracula 3D with a little bit of Phantom Of The Opera.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
"The Cure for Wellness" as a title is a clever idea but absolutely terrible in practice. It sounds like a low budget British farce or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Casimir Radon posted:

At this point they should just do something fun with lower stakes like a longer episode of the cartoon.

All those promotional pictures and video they made to show it was the 80s just made me wish Apocalypse had been a normal 80s teen comedy with mutants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MonsieurChoc posted:

All those promotional pictures and video they made to show it was the 80s just made me wish Apocalypse had been a normal 80s teen comedy with mutants.

I thought overall the 80s stuff was the weakest use of a historical setting compared to how First Class and Days of Future Past used their time period. Probably the best thing to come out of it was using Star Wars to make the "the third movie is always the worst" joke about The Last Stand being awful.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The thing for me about Suicide Squad that I never figured out, true to the thread title, is why it got greenlit in the first place.

Your main characters consist of Batman-or-Batmanesque bad guys, to the point where only one of them has actual powers that could make them interesting. Their enemy is some ghost witch and her armored brother that are flat as hell. Why should I give a poo poo for either the protagonists or the antagonists?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

The thing for me about Suicide Squad that I never figured out, true to the thread title, is why it got greenlit in the first place.

Your main characters consist of Batman-or-Batmanesque bad guys, to the point where only one of them has actual powers that could make them interesting. Their enemy is some ghost witch and her armored brother that are flat as hell. Why should I give a poo poo for either the protagonists or the antagonists?

There are, believe it or not, very good action movies that don't feature people with superhuman powers. Now, Suicide Squad is not a very good action movie. But it is not because it is impossible to care about a character without superpowers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Suicide Squad is also one of the top DC comics series since the 1980s. It's not difficult to see why it would get adapted into a movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dracula 3D with a little bit of Phantom Of The Opera.

Argento Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

That was such a terrible movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's a lot more fun than the majority of the last movie. Maybe they can advance things to 1993 now, not aging the characters at all of course, and try again.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

That's a lot more fun than the majority of the last movie. Maybe they can advance things to 1993 now, not aging the characters at all of course, and try again.

Would they be involved with wtc or ok city?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched Jared Leto in Suicide Squad and just saw Jim Carrey.

But most of the film is just distractingly obnoxious. The characters, the music, the jokes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jubilee's in that PSA more than the actual movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Guy Mann posted:

I thought overall the 80s stuff was the weakest use of a historical setting compared to how First Class and Days of Future Past used their time period.

That might be because the 80s were lame as heck.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

got any sevens posted:

Would they be involved with wtc or ok city?

Waco.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

muscles like this! posted:

He spent a good chunk of season 2 and 3 dead so it is hard to say.

Wow, he REALLY ripped off Ledger.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly the best parts of Gotham are Bruce Wayne and Alfred: Hilights from the first 2 seasons (3 hasn't started airing here yet):

1)Bruce falls into small ravine on the way back from a place that was special to him and his father, breaking his ankle. He spends all night climbing out of it in intense pain, only to see Alfred sitting at a campfire at the top - "How long have you been there?" "About an hour, Master Bruce" "And you did nothing?" "Well I didn't put you in that bloody ravine now did I?"

2) His treatment of Silver StCloud - he finds out that her family knows who murdered the Waynes, then shortly after they both get kidnapped. The goon drags Bruce away and starts beating him, trying to get information, and when he returns to Silver he puts the pressure on to try to get the info out of her. Then, when he does, he turns towards the door, says "Is that all?", then Bruce comes calmly walknig into the room saying "Yes, I think I've heard all I needed to know". The entire thing was orchestrated by Bruce because he knew she was going to betray him, so he figures he'd find out what she knew in THE MOST PSYCHOTIC WAY POSSIBLE.

Then later, he professes to her (and he is being honest) that his feelings for her have died long ago and that really shits her up, because her father is how threatening her life if she doesn't manage to win him back over again to prove her usefulness. She confides in Bruce just before he is due to be used in a sacrifice by her crazy father, and at the last minute Bruce manages to make it look like she succeeded, leaving her with a goodbye kiss to fool her father into thinking she seduced him again so that she doesn't die as well. He also isn't scared throughout the situation, he describes himself as more "Excited" now that he's facing his own death.

3) He succeeds in meeting with Joe Chill, armed and willing to kill him for what he did, only to find him a sad, lost man who has nothing to live for and has been waiting for his entire career for someone to finally catch up to him and kill him. They actually have a surprisingly civil discussion, and Bruce realises that he's lost the will to kill him because he isn't to blame for being a criminal, the system has driven him into a corner, and petty revenge would not stop more people like Joe Chill form being created, so he leaves him in peace. Only he also leaves his gun behind. As he is leaving with Gordon, who has just caught up with him, he hears a gunshot from the apartment. Joe Chill has committed suicide.

This version of Bruce Wayne is completely insane and amazing and I am pretty much watching this show for him, Cobblepot and Nigma. :3:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 22, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Sounds like Bruce Wayne will end up as a lumberjack.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

How old is the Bruce Wayne in the series at this point?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly the best parts of Gotham are Bruce Wayne and Alfred: Hilights from the first 2 seasons (3 hasn't started airing here yet):

1)Bruce falls into small ravine on the way back from a place that was special to him and his father, breaking his ankle. He spends all night climbing out of it in intense pain, only to see Alfred sitting at a campfire at the top - "How long have you been there?" "About an hour, Master Bruce" "And you did nothing?" "Well I didn't put you in that bloody ravine now did I?"

2) His treatment of Silver StCloud - he finds out that her family knows who murdered the Waynes, then shortly after they both get kidnapped. The goon drags Bruce away and starts beating him, trying to get information, and when he returns to Silver he puts the pressure on to try to get the info out of her. Then, when he does, he turns towards the door, says "Is that all?", then Bruce comes calmly walknig into the room saying "Yes, I think I've heard all I needed to know". The entire thing was orchestrated by Bruce because he knew she was going to betray him, so he figures he'd find out what she knew in THE MOST PSYCHOTIC WAY POSSIBLE.

Then later, he professes to her (and he is being honest) that his feelings for her have died long ago and that really shits her up, because her father is how threatening her life if she doesn't manage to win him back over again to prove her usefulness. She confides in Bruce just before he is due to be used in a sacrifice by her crazy father, and at the last minute Bruce manages to make it look like she succeeded, leaving her with a goodbye kiss to fool her father into thinking she seduced him again so that she doesn't die as well. He also isn't scared throughout the situation, he describes himself as more "Excited" now that he's facing his own death.

3) He succeeds in meeting with Joe Chill, armed and willing to kill him for what he did, only to find him a sad, lost man who has nothing to live for and has been waiting for his entire career for someone to finally catch up to him and kill him. They actually have a surprisingly civil discussion, and Bruce realises that he's lost the will to kill him because he isn't to blame for being a criminal, the system has driven him into a corner, and petty revenge would not stop more people like Joe Chill form being created, so he leaves him in peace. Only he also leaves his gun behind. As he is leaving with Gordon, who has just caught up with him, he hears a gunshot from the apartment. Joe Chill has committed suicide.

This version of Bruce Wayne is completely insane and amazing and I am pretty much watching this show for him, Cobblepot and Nigma. :3:

I've never watched Gotham and always assumed Bruce was like 8 in this show. I'm going to guess he's not. :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Bruce is...I wanna say 13 or 14 at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

How old is the Bruce Wayne in the series at this point?

He's about 15 right now.

Gotham is good. It had a rocky start, but once the show figures out what to do with Barbara, it all clicked together. It's very much a modern version of the '66 Batman show.

• Locked thread