Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boiled Water posted:

Half of my apps didn't work. I work in an academic setting.

Shaggar posted:

The problem with this is lots of stuff claims to handle it but then doesn't (like all QT based applications)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

Half of my apps didn't work. I work in an academic setting.

yeah i woudln't expect terminal apps from 1998 to work with dpi scaling

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Endless Mike posted:

it's mendeley which is update on the reg but still scales like it's poo poo.

I've since stopped using it. and stopped using windows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boiled Water posted:

it's mendeley which is update on the reg but still scales like it's poo poo.

mendeley posted:

The Mendeley Open Source library contains code derived from Qt or kdelibs, and some Mendeley-authored utility classes.

huh, whoda thunk it?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

most software i use handles hidpi fine, but jesus windows font rendering looks bad. everything is razor thin.

maybe i'm just getting old.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There are many reasons windows is a POS but the main reason is the software ecosystem and the cruft supported for legacy apps.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

huh, whoda thunk it?

i'm gonna go ahead and assume since mendeley is garbage that qt is as well.

Fabricated posted:

There are many reasons windows is a POS but the main reason is the software ecosystem and the cruft supported for legacy apps.

microsoft should drop legacy things and just go "you know what run a vm if you desperately need 16-bit whatever"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

microsoft should drop legacy things and just go "you know what run a vm if you desperately need 16-bit whatever"

p sure they want people to buy axure licenses for this for the low low cost of [insert linear algebra phd thesis here]

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

p sure they want people to buy axure licenses for this for the low low cost of [insert linear algebra phd thesis here]

those certainly are some prices. 900 dollaroos per month to get flow charts

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Stymie posted:

not terrified of the surfaces themselves necessarily, just the ads

as in he saw the ads and scrambled to push the ipad maxi out the door with a lovely keyboard as a competitor product

we have multiple surfaces and an ipad pro w/ pencil and they both get sent into the field to do punches and construction doc annotations

ill let you guess which one works better, has better battery life, and people prefer to use

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BiohazrD posted:

we have multiple surfaces and an ipad pro w/ pencil and they both get sent into the field to do punches and construction doc annotations

ill let you guess which one works better, has better battery life, and people prefer to use

a pad of paper and a mechanical pencil because they're both poo poo

that's the point, it doesn't matter if the ipad maxi is "better", they're both lovely products in a stupid market segment that tim was a fool for entering

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Stymie posted:

a pad of paper and a mechanical pencil because they're both poo poo

that's the point, it doesn't matter if the ipad maxi is "better", they're both lovely products in a stupid market segment that tim was a fool for entering

yeah let me just carry hundreds of 32x24 inch plotter print outs for each section/floor of an entire building lmao

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BiohazrD posted:

yeah let me just carry hundreds of 32x24 inch plotter print outs for each section/floor of an entire building lmao

or an actual laptop rather than something that fails as both a laptop and a tablet

stop trying to justify lovely products and lovely practices

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the ipads pro have better displays than pretty much any laptop

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

the ipads pro have better displays than pretty much any laptop

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Endless Mike posted:

i've never encountered a terminal app that had problems with dpi scaling and i'm really not sure how they even would

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Boiled Water posted:

I thought they did for 16-bit

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
mendeley is the only good bib manager if you don't want to write everything in latex though

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Stymie posted:

or an actual laptop rather than something that fails as both a laptop and a tablet

stop trying to justify lovely products and lovely practices

yes this looks convenient

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

you know what would be even more convenient? if it didn't have the keyboard and instead had a pen

hmmmmm, i wonder if such a device exists

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

raminasi posted:

I thought they did for 16-bit

in the sense that you can't natively run 16-bit anything on a 64bit os, yes.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BiohazrD posted:

you know what would be even more convenient? if it didn't have the keyboard and instead had a pen

hmmmmm, i wonder if such a device exists

they do exist they're called ipads and styluses

this didn't require the creation of a lovely product line that tries to be a laptop and a tablet and fails at both because tim is terrified of ads

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

i think you meant to write the maxi ipad.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pro effort

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48C9eAOCaYE

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

the keys have higher pitch, isn't that what nerds want?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

there really is no clean technological boundary where apps that use x work badly but apps that use y work well, and the marginal cost of supporting windows 95 applications is likely minimal with the engineering done

the broader problem for stuff like dpi scaling is that windows ends up running a *lot* of software which is only made as an afterthought or side-effect in big organizations focused on other things. it tends to be bad, but the sum total of the value of all that software is vastly greater than the value of some hypothetical "pure" version of windows. just need to slowly drag it along into the future one piece at a time

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was kinda shocked at how bad the keyboard on the new mbps felt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there really is no clean technological boundary where apps that use x work badly but apps that use y work well, and the marginal cost of supporting windows 95 applications is likely minimal with the engineering done

the broader problem for stuff like dpi scaling is that windows ends up running a *lot* of software which is only made as an afterthought or side-effect in big organizations focused on other things. it tends to be bad, but the sum total of the value of all that software is vastly greater than the value of some hypothetical "pure" version of windows. just need to slowly drag it along into the future one piece at a time

also its amazing how much of that stuff still works fine or works with a few minutes of thinking and rearranging of paths even on win10

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

eric posted:

iPads became too needs suiting with the Air 2. It's almost 2 1/2 years old and it's as fast as the first day I got it. I can see it lasting another 3 years.

same. they made it too good.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
never

engage

with

a

stymie

you

fools

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

tuyop posted:

Does anyone else's touchbar just, like, stop sometimes? Like elements will stop appearing on it at random times, sometimes the Touch ID thing won't appear, sometimes the whole thing is just black and I have to press fn to get it to refresh, but sometimes I just have to kill it in terminal. Anyone else?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got a 13" pro with butan yesterday, pretty needs suiting so far

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i tried an ipad pencil the other day and it was very cool to see my gay handwriting show up on the screen in paper quality

if they come out with a cool new pro one i can see myself buying one then not using it and selling it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

poty posted:

i tried an ipad pencil the other day and it was very cool to see my gay handwriting show up on the screen in paper quality

if they come out with a cool new pro one i can see myself buying one then not using it and selling it

im still pissed that wacom pens have had an eraser on the back for years but the apple pencil doesn't
also, it looks very stupid when its plugged into an ipad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im still pissed that wacom pens have had an eraser on the back for years but the apple pencil doesn't

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

qirex posted:

I got a 13" pro with butan yesterday, pretty needs suiting so far

how's the battery life

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

dont sign your posts

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

timbs Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

uncurable mlady posted:

never