Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Throwing in another recommendation for Blades, especially if you're interested in systems.

If you've never read an Apocalypse World-inspired game it'll be substantially different from anything you've seen, which has novelty going for it. If you have, you'll get to see what the AW engine looks like after someone hybridizes it with Burning Wheel to do the impossible: run a long-term campaign. As mentioned, clocks are also neat as hell and eminently stealable for other games. It's a technology that's been around since Apocalypse World, but Blades takes that idea and runs with it hard.

Blades also does the AW corebook thing of explicitly telling you how best to run the game, and frames the GM role less as an arbitrary referee and more as a form of player with an asymmetrical rule-set from the rest of the table.

The setting is neat, and occupies much more of the book than it initially appears. There is an explicit setting chapter, but a lot of the connective tissue of Duskvol is built into the mechanics, and it's only by reading the whole thing - possibly twice - that you really figure out what's going on.

Finally, reading Blades will also let you watch the phenomenal Blades in the Dark: Bloodletters, the author's streamed playtest campaign that began in the early beta of the game and is still running today. Also available in audiobook format up to episode 13 if you poke around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I really appreciate all the replies I've gotten so far. If nothing else, I'm glad there's people advocating for all three - sounds like I've chosen fairly well. Honestly I might end up grabbing all three eventually (:homebrew:).

Has anyone looked at Dusk City Outlaws? It's only in KS right now, but it's weird to me how similar it is in concept to Blades. The presentation, art, and tone is all very different though. Not really mentioning that as a possibility because I don't think I'll go that route, but I thought I'd ask.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The author also ran a Blades game with the twitch crowd at itmeJP here: Rollplay Blades playlist

Listening to the first episode. It's moody, descriptive and fun so far!

vvv Edit: fixed! Thank you vvv

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 21, 2017

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
^^ Broken link. Here's the Rollplay Blades playlist. That's another good show, and ongoing. I prefer the cast on Bloodletters - Stras Acimovic is my Platonic Ideal RPG Player - but once the guy who plays Aldo gets settled into his character, he puts on some excellent performances. Viewing them side by side shows the flexibility of the system, too. The Bloodletters go hard on building a gang to enforce their will and push their product, and they're very concerned with their reputation and being a dominant force "on the street;" It's basically dark fantasy The Wire. Meanwhile, the Last Word are virtual unknowns (by design, being assassins) who get work only through a carefully curated network of contacts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Blades book also has some nice articles about why the system is designed the way it is, which go a long way to helping you get how the game's supposed to work.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
JRR Heinsight. What fuckin name. Wow.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Am I the only one who heard that entire back copy in the Cryptkeeper's voice?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This sounds at least as readable as the first Xanth book.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Yawgmoth posted:

This sounds at least as readable as the first Xanth book.

I wanna know what JRR Heinseight was up to for the twenty years between (based on the cover art) 1967 and 1987.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd also like to know his pre-sabatical works.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
More like Nite Crew amirite

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

More like Nite Crew amirite

lmao

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

How is Mutant: Year Zero? It seems to be doing well but I never hear anything about it.

Keep in mind I have only read the books, not playtested them.

Overall, Mutant: Year Zero is a marriage of story game elements to base building and hex crawl mechanics. The feel is more of a ragtag group of struggling survivors who happen to be mutants; rather than a Fallout game where safety and stability increases in a linear fashion with the more gear you accumulate.

For conflict resolution, you roll d6s. Generally you add your attribute score, skill level and gear, and roll that many dice. One six is a success, and extra sixes generate crits or bonus effects.

To attempt to get extra successes, you can attempt to push the roll once. ‘Pushing’ involves grabbing any dice that did not roll a 1 or a 6 and rolling them again. The danger to pushing is that any 1’s rolled on the attribute dice will cause trauma to the attribute you used. The benefit is that you get a number of mutation points (used to activate a mutation) equal to the 1’s that cause attribute trauma. The rational is, when you exert yourself your mutant powers may bubble up to the fore and radically twist your body and mind.

The story game elements come into play when you make your mutant character, and they determine how you earn exp. During character creation, a player chooses a ‘buddy’ PC, a NPC that they hate, and a NPC that they want to protect. You also chose the character’s “Big Dream”. Experience is doled out if the player risks something in pursuit of protecting a buddy PC or NPC, working towards the “Big Dream”, or meddling with their hated NPC rival. This is not a game where cutting down mass quantities of rot ghouls is going to net you that next level.

Players can improve the Arc with the base building mechanics. Imagine Civ5 tech tree but for a dilapidated post-apocalyptic citadel. For example, you can have the NPCs in the Arc work on developing mushroom fields (or cannibalism!) to improve the Development Level of your Food technology. If the players come across a piece of gear like a M-16, they can either chose to use the gear personally or turn it into the Arc for an appropriate boost in a Development Level. For example, turning in that M-16 will make Warfare improvements develop faster, but have no effect on Food improvements. As I recall these rules earned Mutant: Year Zero a Silver Ennie.

The Game master section has a series of tables and charts to generate random Zone encounters on a hex crawl through the Wasteland, or you can use the premade Zone locations. One of my favorites is the warren of mutant anthropoid rabbits who are militant against meat eaters. One rabbit is an easy mark, but they appear in frothing fanatic droves.

The only actual play of Mutant: Year Zero I have found is the intro adventure False Haven, run by Tom of the RPPR crew.
http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2016/10/genre/sci-fi/mutant-year-zero-false-haven/#comments
Keep in mind this game only sets the scene, and doesn't get into hex exploration of the zone or the improving your Arc (base) mechanics.

Ross said RPPR already has a Genlab Alpha campaign recorded and ready for release sometime.
Genlab Alpha: https://www.modiphius.net/products/mutant-genlab-alpha-core-book-print-pdf
Genlab Alpha can be a very different game though, if the storyteller decides to focus on the Rebellion plot arc in the main book. I'm not sure what angle the RPPR campaign takes so it may not be representative of a "traditional" hex-crawl-the-Zone for survival that is the core of Mutant: Year Zero.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Are there any games that allow or expect you to play more than one character at a time?

Call of Cthulhu suggests as an option that players run two Investigators each instead of just one.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

That got me thinking:

1. Are there any games that allow or expect you to play more than one character at a time?

2. Has anyone ever tried to deliberately play a game where a player controlled more than one character at a time, even for a game that didn't specifically support it?

If I were to get roped into running D&D 5th or 3.5/Pathfinder again, this would be my solution to the class power disparity issue. I would have each player play both a caster and a non caster. I don't always have a ton of players on hand so in old school D&D I often just let people play more than one character anyway. Most people are fine doing so.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 21, 2017

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

LatwPIAT posted:

Call of Cthulhu suggests as an option that players run two Investigators each instead of just one.

In practice, I've like never seen that done. Lots of illdefined relatives that pop up when somebody dies, but not multiple characters per PC.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

In practice, I've like never seen that done. Lots of illdefined relatives that pop up when somebody dies, but not multiple characters per PC.

The suggestion is hidden away, and most people have a preconceived notion that roleplaying games are about playing one character, rather than troupe play.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
From the creators of Mutant: Year Zero

Mutant: MECHATRON

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/mutant-mechatron-rise-of-the-robots-roleplaying/description

Rise, as a robot with newly developed sentience. Discover why the humans abandoned you, and question why you should obey them at all.

Protect Mechatron 7, the technological marvel of an underwater robot factory that is falling perilously into decay.

Explore the post-apocalyptic wasteland known as the ZONE and interact with friends and foes from the gamelines Mutant: Year Zero, Mutant: Genlab Alpha, and anything else printed in the game line.

Aquire this product for a minimum $28. Relax, as you realize Mechatron will be produced because it already fully funded in less than 24 hours. Watch, as you receive a beta pdf around June, then the real game in approximately September.

What else does the kickstarter say?

===What is Mutant : Mechatron?===

quote:

Do you like scifi in the vein of Asimov, Blade Runner, Terminator, Ex Machina, Automata and Westworld? Then Mutant: Mechatron is for you!

This is the second major expansion to Mutant: Year Zero, the award-winning postapocalyptic pen&paper roleplaying game by Free League Publishing.

But Mutant: Mechatron is no mere supplement - it stands on its own and can be played as a complete game in its own right. Get ready for the rise of the robots!

----

Mutant: Mechatron tells the origin story of the robots, and introduces them into the dawnworld of Mutant: Year Zero. Some of the contents:

New rules for creating and playing robots. A unique system lets you build your machine character part by part. The book includes all the rules you need to play!

A detailed description of Mechatron-7, the huge underground robot hive, including a beautiful full-color map.

The complete campaign Ghost in the Machine, putting the player characters in the middle of a conflict threatening the future of the entire robot hive.

An overview of how the robots can adapt to life in the Zone, and join the human mutants of Mutant: Year Zero.

===New to Mutant: Year Zero?===

quote:

Mutant: Mechatron is a full game in its own right, but if you’re new to the Mutant: Year Zero universe there has never been a better time to get started!

During the entire run of this Kickstarter, we have a 20% discount on all Mutant: Year Zero products in the Free League webstore. (We have EU- and North America-friendly shipping.)

Mutant: Year Zero is the latest version of the classic Swedish pen & paper roleplaying game Mutant, first published in 1984. Mutant: Year Zero was published in 2014, and was awarded RPG of the Year by the main Swedish gaming magazine Fenix.

The English version of the game was released in December of 2014, and was an instant hit. Watch the release trailer here. Mutant: Year Zero was named Best RPG at UK Games Expo 2015 and it was awarded a Silver ENnie for Best Rules at Gencon 2015.

The first expansion for Mutant: Year Zero was Mutant: Genlab Alpha, telling the story of the mutant animals. Mutant: Genlab Alpha was successfully kickstarted a year ago and released in July last year.

Want more information? Click on my short review of Mutant: Year Zero here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3803702#post469637283

Robots. Will. Rise.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

That Old Tree posted:

If you're interested in actually running FFG Star Wars, you might want to start with Age of Rebellion instead. It's got a more concrete direction to it, what with the players presumably being part of the rebel hierarchy. That said, Edge is good too if you're perfectly down with assembling a more random group of rogues for vague reasons.

7th Sea 2e is pretty good. Like FFG RPGs, it's a very pretty and readable book. It's a much more traditional sort of system than the other two. It fixes the most glaring problems that first edition had, but there are still some "well it feels right" kind of design decisions that don't work out so well for everyone. Don't let that discourage you, though, it's still pretty solid.

Blades is super great! It's very story-gamey, even more so than FFG Star Wars, and also much lighter on the mechanics. It might be a better fit if you think you might end up starting a game with total newcomers, since the simpler mechanics and playbook approach can be helpful.

On the other hand, if it's most likely just going to be for casual reading, I think 7th Sea would be the best choice. It's got more world-building/setting stuff going on than either of the other two. FFG Star Wars comes in as a close second for this, and Blades' setting stuff is light and short enough it's firmly in third place for just casual reading.

I essentially agree with everything here albeit some groups may find the criminal under pressure of edge of empire appeals more than AOR cog in the machine (albeit depending on how you run it. My AOR game has them as the major drivers/leaders of the rebellion for a whole sector).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Overall, Mutant: Year Zero is a marriage of story game elements to base building and hex crawl mechanics.

Well that all sounds like stuff I'd enjoy! Of course, I'd have to find someone who'd want to run it for me because I've already got two campaigns (Fragged Empire and Shadowrun 4e) in the pipe.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well that all sounds like stuff I'd enjoy! Of course, I'd have to find someone who'd want to run it for me because I've already got two campaigns (Fragged Empire and Shadowrun 4e) in the pipe.

I had thought about trying to run it PbP or over Dischord or something but I think that it's even less compatible with online play than most TTRPGs due to the hex crawling.

There's actually another expansion that finished Kickstarting, Mutant: Elysium (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/mutant-elysium-rollspel-om-mansklighetens-sista-da). In this one, the characters are non-mutant humans "with or without cybernetic implants" in an Alpha-Complex-like "enclave." Based on the KS, the characters belong to post-megacorp-ish "lineages" that are engaged in low-level vendettas with each other and the hexcrawl/4X element is replaced with a system for developing your lineage and/or the enclave.

That one's set to be released in Swedish in April, which seems to mean that the English version of that could be Kickstarted at the beginning of 2018.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Roll20 supports hex grids actually. It's a bit finicky to fit a map to, but it works just fine.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I really appreciate all the replies I've gotten so far. If nothing else, I'm glad there's people advocating for all three - sounds like I've chosen fairly well. Honestly I might end up grabbing all three eventually (:homebrew:).

Has anyone looked at Dusk City Outlaws? It's only in KS right now, but it's weird to me how similar it is in concept to Blades. The presentation, art, and tone is all very different though. Not really mentioning that as a possibility because I don't think I'll go that route, but I thought I'd ask.

I was curious about Dusk City Outlaws, too, but I'm hesitant to back an RPG that looks like its building its own system without a good idea of what the rules look like first

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

gradenko_2000 posted:

That got me thinking:

2. Has anyone ever tried to deliberately play a game where a player controlled more than one character at a time, even for a game that didn't specifically support it?

AD&D era Dark Sun suggested that players create a stable of 3-5 characters that they would rotate through with the anticipation that there would be a high mortality rate during adventures.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

ManMythLegend posted:

AD&D era Dark Sun suggested that players create a stable of 3-5 characters that they would rotate through with the anticipation that there would be a high mortality rate during adventures.

Not only that, but whenever the character you were currently using gained a level, so too did one of the characters who'd stayed home.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Mutant: Year Zero sounds awesome. I had a guy talk it up to me at a local convention last year and he gave me a look-see of the book, and it was admittedly gorgeous, but I didn't really have the time nor the will to actually digest it (I was too stressed out about the games I was running at the convention). I'll need to give it a better look.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm struggling with myself to take advantage of the 20% sale they are running and picking up a poo poo load of stuff, or waiting until GenCon and getting everything without worrying about shipping.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Carteret posted:

I'm struggling with myself to take advantage of the 20% sale they are running and picking up a poo poo load of stuff, or waiting until GenCon and getting everything without worrying about shipping.

How are you getting to/from GenCon and how much other stuff are you looking to buy/pack for the return?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

How are you getting to/from GenCon and how much other stuff are you looking to buy/pack for the return?

I'm flying just like last year, and I had plenty of room for my haul. I didn't really pick up all that much and my carry-on last year contained my check bag for the return trip. I've never needed to ship anything home in the 2 years I've been.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wanna play/run a Tormenta RPG game but it's not translated to English and no one in my IRL group wants it :(

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Plutonis posted:

I wanna play/run a Tormenta RPG game but it's not translated to English and no one in my IRL group wants it :(

Quickly Googling this it seems like it was originally just a setting for D&D 3.5, but there's a new stand-alone game out. How much does it owe to 3.5 mechanically? It seems like it has some interesting stuff to it. Also, anime.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ratpick posted:

Quickly Googling this it seems like it was originally just a setting for D&D 3.5, but there's a new stand-alone game out. How much does it owe to 3.5 mechanically? It seems like it has some interesting stuff to it. Also, anime.

Originally it was a setting for an anime-inspired original RPG, Defensores de Toquio, then ported to D20 to dubious results, then after the OGL was cancelled they made a Pathfinder/Star Wars mashup. Honestly a lot of the mechanics are rear end but nostalgia speaks louder (played the poo poo out of it on my teen years!) and I love the setting itself.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I did get pissed off when they retconned the cool snake person race into all of them being evil betrayers following a super evil god all along

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Plutonis posted:

I did get pissed off when they retconned the cool snake person race into all of them being evil betrayers following a super evil god all along

snake people, dude.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Us millennials, always worshiping evil gods.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
What a twist, the snake people were evil betrayers all along :O

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's a freaking tired trope/cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig