Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The guitar Guy's pretty far away from that staircase, although I guess there are more staircases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i have a 96.5% mission completion rate. all dojo missions done, all visible submissions done. epilogue done, both extra double boss fights done, bonus dual sword mission done. what am i missing?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

i have a 96.5% mission completion rate. all dojo missions done, all visible submissions done. epilogue done, both extra double boss fights done, bonus dual sword mission done. what am i missing?

Are you missing a twilight mission?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ah gently caress that could be it, gotta wait then

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think you can see your twilight mission completion somewhere. If you want to check that that's it.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

that was not a difficult glitch to pull off, I don't know how they'd even patch it, either.

It's tempting, but I'm not through the game yet and I feel like that would really take away some of what makes the game great. Maybe if I was on ng+ or something, but I'm gonna pass. Still though, reaaaaaally tempting.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jewce posted:

Maybe if I was on ng+ or something, but I'm gonna pass. Still though, reaaaaaally tempting.

I'm on the last region of NG+ so I can justify it for myself. Getting about 10 thousand amrita every three seconds.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Been talking about this on discord, but I'm gonna post it here to get more pairs of eyes. I am trying to soul match some poo poo and it is not working. Here is what I have

Lv. 150 (+3) Sozasa Monji
code:
  @   Strong Attack Damage
[]>[] Life Recovery By Grapple
      Mid Attack Ki Reduction
      Break
      Mid Attack Break
      Low Guard Ki Reduction
  @   National Unity

Lv. 150 Atagi Sadamune
code:
      Human Close Combat Damage
  @   Water
      Quick Attack Ki Reduction
      High Attack Break
      Skill Ki Damage
[]>[] Change to Attack (Heart)
  @   The Crossed Sickles
Both are max familiarity. I am trying to transfer Change to Attack Heart into Sozasa Monji to overwrite Life Recovery By Grapple. It won't go, and I can't see the conflict.

edit: Bitching on the internet worked. I tried again and it worked. Fuckin weird. I already double checked it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 22, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
doublepost. quote is not edit.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
There are certain pools for weapons, from my poor memory i think strong attack damage and change to attack heart are in the same pool, and it wont let there be two from the same pool on 1 item

There is a list on the fextra wiki, its not comprehensive by any means, but its what your problem is

edit, or not i guess? it is a thing tho, just not in your case

Ajax fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 22, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I think it's time for me to take a break from Nioh for a couple weeks. It's a hell of a game but now that I'm most of the way through NG+, fighting the same enemies in most missions the same way (parry & destroy for humans, Discord & destroy for yokai) is running out of steam. I'm really excited for new enemy types in the DLC, maybe even more than new weapon types. (Maybe.)

Snak posted:

Both are max familiarity. I am trying to transfer Change to Attack Heart into Sozasa Monji to overwrite Life Recovery By Grapple. It won't go, and I can't see the conflict.

edit: Bitching on the internet worked. I tried again and it worked. Fuckin weird. I already double checked it.

Huh, I was going to guess it conflicted with Strong Attack Damage, but I guess not?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Someone with a good Change to attack Body Spear go die somewhere a bunch for me I cannot get one despite ages of grinding.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxjzhGF-vM

this might interest some people

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just finished the final main mission. Did anyone else find the triple clone Kelley fight harder than the actual boss?

Also that shameless DLC tease.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Just finished the final main mission. Did anyone else find the triple clone Kelley fight harder than the actual boss?

Nah you weren't the only one. They gave me trouble because I tried to play it safe the first few tries. But I guess the actual boss would be even more difficult if you played it cautiously and didn't rush it down.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
After watching a couple videos of other people doing way, way better at dual katanas then I ever have, I went back and invested more heavily in the skill tree. More specifically I filled out the kick combo line in mid stance so that your kick immediately moves into the double slash that deals high damage while also chopping more ki off whoever you hit with it.

So then I entered a random mission to try it out, and after a couple minutes of memorizing the timing for slash->kick->double slash I started up on revenants and utterly clowned the poo poo out of every single one. Night and day compared to my previous strategy of using a single katana and baiting parries.

So obviously I started wondering if this would work as well on something stronger then revenants; after a quick break to reforge the highest level dual katana I had until it had skill damage and reduced ki, I went and picked some fights.

drat if it didn't work on every single human boss as well. The combo will break if any hit is blocked, but if you land ONE hit, you can immediately kick, then immediately double slash, and if you time it just right you can land another normal hit as your opponent is recovering and they won't block it, letting you chain again. And again, and again, until their ki is gone. Knock them down for a final blow, let your own ki recharge as they get up and land another hit before they can block to start over again.

It's almost silly because it's really just a question of getting exactly the right timing to beat the AI before they can block and you trivialize any human opponent who isn't like the Yatagarasu guy with boss-specific tricks to get away from you. I didn't think I'd ever get the take-no-damage titles from most of these guys and I got them all in like 30 minutes.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Did they change the stairs glitch on that mission? I could get the flying head trapped under them no sweat, but it wouldn't glitch into the stairs like in the video.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Has anyone actually gotten the Genius Strategist text from the warrior training?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Has anyone actually gotten the Genius Strategist text from the warrior training?

I just did, the first time I beat it on ng+. Veteran.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I got after fifteen or so tries, which is apparently worthy of having its own x file.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Learnin Derby posted:

Finally took out Umi-bozu. Worst boss I've come across yet. More than twice as many deaths to him than any other boss. Him firing his one hit kill beam just after the cutscene ends is bullshit. Barely had enough time to pick up my spirit.

He did that to me once. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or a just a dick move. Like literally as soon as the level finished loading in, BLAMMO YOU'RE DEAD SON.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That happened to me once in coop. Instantly killed me and my summoner.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't beat Saika. I just can't et over the line.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Are you hitting him while he's in the air? Throw a shuriken at him as soon as he gets in the air.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

Kick him into the fire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Kick him into the fire.

I like doing that too. Turnabout is fair play.

Edit: also, I sometimes run around the arena and bogart all the water buckets real quick, cause he can get the water buff too.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If you use the hair items to get more skill points, those get refunded with books of skill as well right?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yes, you get all points you've used back.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

RatHat posted:

Popped Suzaku and just went completely HAM to be honest.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Harrow posted:

Raikiri won't be the best forever. There are things better than elemental damage, though it's always nice to have on top of an already-good weapon.

(I mean, if you want Raikiri to be the best forever you can just keep smithing new ones, that's always an option, but you can also branch out! And I think there are a couple of dual swords with innate elemental damage at some point.)

I found dual swords with every element over the course of the game.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
This game is real fuckin' hard. Took me about two or three hours of gameplay to make it from the first post-tutorial shrine to the second one, and I'm an old hand at Souls games. Wish there was a control scheme that matched Dark Souls a bit better, dodge on X is loving with me hard.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RatHat posted:

You can sort of shimmy into the room and only get one or two of them to spawn at once. I learned very early on in this game that a lot of human enemies are really easy to bait into getting close enough for Iai attacks so I just dissected them one at a time with a few Iais each.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

This game is real fuckin' hard. Took me about two or three hours of gameplay to make it from the first post-tutorial shrine to the second one, and I'm an old hand at Souls games. Wish there was a control scheme that matched Dark Souls a bit better, dodge on X is loving with me hard.
PS4 accessibility to the rescue.

(of course, this will affects things globally... but if it bothers you that much...)

I use Type E control scheme and just forced myself to get used to X.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

gibbed posted:

PS4 accessibility to the rescue.

I'll keep it in mind, but I'm pretty sure my solution is going to be of the gud-gitting variety.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp. Finished the game. :geno:

That is, I killed Kelley and his Orochi pet. It looks like there is still an epilogue wrap-up of sort, hopefully with another boss... OR a proper ending. Hahaha, Kelly and Orochi both just MELTED, those poor guys just cannot deal with kusarigama and kunai at all

With things being as they are now, I feel very confident in saying that
a) this game has the most ridiculously fun and complex battle mechanics I've ever seen, easily on par with Bloodborne,
b) the level design is rather weak most of the time, relying on labyrinths, boring corridors and ever-same gadgets too often, with some rare setpieces and levels that reach Souls quality,
c) the story is generic, creatively bankrupt garbage that largely fails at feigning depth. Also, it's not nearly as funny as I hoped it would be. Too bad.

Overall, I think I'm not gonna spend too much time in NG+ with this one. It's fun to play, but it was kinda starting to get repetitive ten hours in, and most levels just aren't that terribly impressive both design-wise and asthetically. Worst of all was probably the second-to-last level (underground prison temple), which absolutely felt as uninspired as a bad randomly generated Bloodborne dungeon. There are highlights, of course: the huge battlefield with the giant skeleton end boss is unique, atmospheric and great fun, both levels that take place there! Although it's kinda silly that the moth demon is being restricted by an impenetrable fortress of tents.
Nioh is also pretty bad at environmental storytelling; the memories of the dead you pick up are largely pointless and repetitive. The game is also in dire need of more enemy types, as well as more region-specific enemies, which help make levels unique in both design and atmosphere. The game really felt like Ninja Gaiden trying unsuccessfully to be Dark Souls in some parts, while still successfully establishing its own identity combat-wise.

I'll wait and see what the verdict is gonna be on the DLC. New weapons and enemies sound good, now let's see if they can make proper levels with them.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Megasabin posted:

If you use the hair items to get more skill points, those get refunded with books of skill as well right?
It only occured to me yesterday to use a book to refund all the points I wasted on lovely skills. :downsgun:

On the topic of lovely skills, how the hell do you trigger the sword's advancing guard? There's no button combo, and I don't think I even triggered it once by accident while I had it slotted.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lprsti99 posted:

I'll keep it in mind, but I'm pretty sure my solution is going to be of the gud-gitting variety.

Yeah do this until you suddenly land a thousand hits without running out of stamina and realise you are Jetstream Sam now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp. Finished the game. :geno:

That is, I killed Kelley and his Orochi pet. It looks like there is still an epilogue wrap-up of sort, hopefully with another boss... OR a proper ending. Hahaha, Kelly and Orochi both just MELTED, those poor guys just cannot deal with kusarigama and kunai at all

a) this game has the most ridiculously fun and complex battle mechanics I've ever seen, easily on par with Bloodborne,
b) the level design is rather weak most of the time, relying on labyrinths, boring corridors and ever-same gadgets too often, with some rare setpieces and levels that reach Souls quality,
c) the story is generic, creatively bankrupt garbage that largely fails at feigning depth. Also, it's not nearly as funny as I hoped it would be. Too bad.

Overall, I think I'm not gonna spend too much time in NG+ with this one. It's fun to play, but it was kinda starting to get repetitive ten hours in, and most levels just aren't that terribly impressive both design-wise and asthetically. Worst of all was probably the second-to-last level (underground prison temple), which absolutely felt as uninspired as a bad randomly generated Bloodborne dungeon. There are highlights, of course: the huge battlefield with the giant skeleton end boss is unique, atmospheric and great fun, both levels that take place there! Although it's kinda silly that the moth demon is being restricted by an impenetrable fortress of tents.
Nioh is also pretty bad at environmental storytelling; the memories of the dead you pick up are largely pointless and repetitive. The game is also in dire need of more enemy types, as well as more region-specific enemies, which help make levels unique in both design and atmosphere. The game really felt like Ninja Gaiden trying unsuccessfully to be Dark Souls in some parts, while still successfully establishing its own identity combat-wise.

I'll wait and see what the verdict is gonna be on the DLC. New weapons and enemies sound good, now let's see if they can make proper levels with them.

He's not being restricted, he's guarding his force's command post against the Tokugawa army's attack.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though

Thumbtacks posted:

man that inheritable bonus is irritating but change to attack (stamina) is fantastic since the armor scales the same way

I rolled that stamina bonus in the exact spot. How did my axe spread so fast seriously I found it off revs also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

I found dual swords with every element over the course of the game.

I meant that I'm pretty sure there are some dual swords that are like Raikiri, meaning they always have an element on them. You can definitely find any kind of weapon with any element, or reforge it onto any weapon that doesn't already have an element. I'm pretty sure I have at least one smithing text for something like that, but I'll have to check when I get home.

Torquemadras posted:

My favorite levels were the big battlefield at Sekigahara and the Iga Escape ninja house--those two were the ones that stood out as unique and cool in their actual level design. I especially enjoyed just how interesting it was to fight through the active Sekigahara battlefield twice, once with the end boss shooting at you occasionally, because that's something none of the Souls games really did and it was cool. Nothing else really seemed that great, level-wise. I definitely agree that the big draw of Nioh is its combat, that's where it actually succeeds.