Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
As a guy who watched Barry Bonds get intentionally walked one million times, I have to say, this rule change blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Your Taint posted:

The thing that would help them the most is starting postseason games an hour or so earlier so the people who have to go to work the next morning can stay up and watch the whole thing live.
on the other hand, they already start at 4 or 5pm for those of us on the west coast

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bawfuls posted:

on the other hand, they already start at 4 or 5pm for those of us on the west coast

The real problem with playoffs is that to keep them close to a month you have to watch 4 games a day and then 2 games a day for the first couple weeks. It's too much.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Your Taint posted:

The thing that would help them the most is starting postseason games an hour or so earlier so the people who have to go to work the next morning can stay up and watch the whole thing live.

They're already starting games at like noon central time...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the sign is that your cowardly IBB manager has to walk out of the dugout and do arrested development chicken impressions

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

They're already starting games at like noon central time...

They could have the games overlap. Sure, it would take away from the "10 hours of baseball omg fapfapfapfap" excitement that we all have had (myself included), but it would assure that fans of each team would be able to watch the entire game and be able to go to work or school and be able to function the next morning.

I'm mainly talking the LCS and World Series games. Not much you can do in the divisional round.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The sign to IBB somebody should be something innocuous and easy to do by accident, and make sure there are no take-backsies. I want an endless parade of walks because managers keep loving up the sign.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Paul Zuvella posted:

I honestly don't even know what an argument against a non-instant intentional walk is, other than that cool thing Miggy did once.

5.05(b) of the rules of baseball: The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when: (1) Four “balls” have been called by the umpire;

There is no "intentional walk" in the rules, except for scoring purposes. You have to throw 4 balls before a batter is entitled to first base. To do otherwise would be a fundamental change to the rules of the game for no reason.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

The sign to IBB somebody should be something innocuous and easy to do by accident, and make sure there are no take-backsies. I want an endless parade of walks because managers keep loving up the sign.

That would explain why Francona decided to walk Rizzo to get to Zobrist :v:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

5.05(b) of the rules of baseball: The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when: (1) Four “balls” have been called by the umpire;

There is no "intentional walk" in the rules, except for scoring purposes. You have to throw 4 balls before a batter is entitled to first base. To do otherwise would be a fundamental change to the rules of the game for no reason.

Yeah, they need to go back to the 9 ball base on balls. Can't be changing or adding rules.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Pitchers get charged a ball for touching their mouth while on the rubber, right? Just have them do that four times.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rob Manfred sucks and seeing pitchers throw wild pitches and being completely out of sync after throwing them is awesome. poo poo some of the Tigers best bullpen meltdowns came from Leyland forcing guys to come in out of the pen and intentionally walking a guy and then not being able to find the strike zone again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

huge fan of the new OFFICIAL IBB gesture

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Games played: 2,427
Avg Game Time: 3:05
Total Time Played: 448,995 minutes

Intentional Walks: 932
Intentional Walk Time: 30 seconds, if being generous
Total Time Spent IBBing: 466 minutes

Congratulations are in order for Rob Manfred for his brilliant pace of play initiative reducing playing time by 0.1%

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
An IBB is just enough time to take a piss.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

Rob Manfred sucks and seeing pitchers throw wild pitches and being completely out of sync after throwing them is awesome. poo poo some of the Tigers best bullpen meltdowns came from Leyland forcing guys to come in out of the pen and intentionally walking a guy and then not being able to find the strike zone again.
Yeah this is the part that bothers me the most as well. It was an extra minor penalty to an IBB.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
MLB was so embarrassed by Ehire Adrianza doing this that they decided to make sure it would never happen again.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
The Simpsons episode Homer At The Bat will be 25 years old in May. The HOF is recognizing it

https://www.facebook.com/baseballhall/photos/a.392432467203.180493.58620617203/10154173468182204/?type=3&theater

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Banished to the Pen, a nerdy as gently caress fan site for Effectively Wild, did a cool thing too:

http://www.banishedtothepen.com/springfield-17-a-modern-day-homer-at-the-bat-lineup/

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They should replace Griffey's plaque with a post-nerve-tonic one.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i don't really understand the purpose of this rule, aside from being a massive benefit to the pitcher for not jacking their rhythm after intentional walks.

you have the negative of a man on base, but without the pitcher actually working to get him there. kind of silly.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Poque posted:

Games played: 2,427
Avg Game Time: 3:05
Total Time Played: 448,995 minutes

Intentional Walks: 932
Intentional Walk Time: 30 seconds, if being generous
Total Time Spent IBBing: 466 minutes

Congratulations are in order for Rob Manfred for his brilliant pace of play initiative reducing playing time by 0.1%

Someone should make a youtube compilation of this

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

corn on the cop posted:

i don't really understand the purpose of this rule, aside from being a massive benefit to the pitcher for not jacking their rhythm after intentional walks.

you have the negative of a man on base, but without the pitcher actually working to get him there. kind of silly.

Does it really throw a pitcher's rhythm off that much? It's a small change, but is there really any benefit to the viewer to watch the pitcher and catcher play catch for 4 pitches?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

Does it really throw a pitcher's rhythm off that much? It's a small change, but is there really any benefit to the viewer to watch the pitcher and catcher play catch for 4 pitches?

There was the two times in thirty years that something funny happened.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
:siren:39 DAYS TIL OPENING DAY!!!:siren:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Your Taint posted:

Jon Lester doesn't do an IBB in the standard way. The catcher has to setup like usual, just way outside. So the king of yips says it does matter.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm sorry, but speeding up ibb, even if inconsequential, is good. give me more guys dingering. also, can't wait until an ump misinterprets a manager.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The IBB change is dumb because it doesn't help anything. It's a change for the sake of making one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Plus, it robs us of the occasional hilarious wild pitch on IBB.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bah god back in my day I wasted 30 seconds of my life watching 4 meaningless pitches and I liked it!

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

The IBB change is dumb because it doesn't help anything. It's a change for the sake of making one.

Agreed. I don't care that once every 10 years something mildly interesting happens during an IBB attempt, but it also doesn't do anything to speed up the game. It's nothing. Nothing has happened. There are no changes.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ego symphonic posted:

Agreed. I don't care that once every 10 years something mildly interesting happens during an IBB attempt, but it also doesn't do anything to speed up the game. It's nothing. Nothing has happened. There are no changes.

Agreed. It will have zero effect on pace of play. They just removed a minor annoyance.

I'd be completely in favor of a pitch clock and only limiting one time stepping out of the box or off the mound per AB, because that poo poo's annoying. I loved me some Nomar, but the batting glove thing he did between every single pitch drove me batty.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The Simpsons episode Homer At The Bat will be 25 years old in May. The HOF is recognizing it

https://www.facebook.com/baseballhall/photos/a.392432467203.180493.58620617203/10154173468182204/?type=3&theater

That episode always reminds me that Steve Sax used to be a thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That would explain why Francona decided to walk Rizzo to get to Zobrist :v:

haha

but seriously, without the benefit of hindsight, I'd have done the same thing if I were Francona. Zobrist was only hitting .1something during the WS compared to Rizzo's hot stick. Not that Zob is by any measure a bad hitter but he was the lesser of evils.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's a good thing his murdering rear end is locked up. The monster.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:unsmith: TEST

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
A coworker's friend is starting a vintage baseball team (apparently Wisconsin has a pretty active vintage league) and I'm thinking of joining. It sounds pretty fun. Have any of you done something like that? They play with late-1800s period equipment and uniforms so I'm guessing I'll have to bat Brooks Conrad style to keep my hands from getting torn up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TEST TEST THIS IS A TEST

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Your Taint posted:

:siren:39 DAYS TIL OPENING DAY!!!:siren:

That still sounds like a lot of days, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

For real though. I guess watching Homer at the Bat during my formative years glitched my brain into assuming he and Scioscia were elite players like all the others, but neither had a career OPS over .700!

• Locked thread