Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov posted:

But read the books first so you can be let down by the TV show like any proper space nerd would :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)

I just finished book 4, and watched season 1. I wouldn't say the show is a let down, but it seems to I introduce more politics to appeal to GoT fans or whatever. Still a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

The possibilities are endless.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

hot balls man no homo posted:

You can't borrow against expected income because then they'd have to open their books and that would make any banker slap the poo poo out of you for even trying to get a loan.

We know F42 UK already took out one bank loan.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Hopper posted:

I just finished book 4, and watched season 1. I wouldn't say the show is a let down, but it seems to I introduce more politics to appeal to GoT fans or whatever. Still a good show.
The show space battles / ship descriptions and Miller's investigation of Julie were huge sore spots for me. Also the crew wasn't properly introduced at all. It felt like a couple of strangers for way too many episodes.

Also Ganymede station was crazy in the book. In the show it was like "oh, well, that room wasn't the best place to be, oh well!"

There's just a lot of lost flavor. Less Holden's boring life is a plus though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Orions Lord posted:

Why the google glasses.

Not the pseudo-suit top with lovely pop-culture-reference shirt and faded jeans?

Anyways, I'm sure that FPS footage of interviewing Chris Roberts is going to be fantastic and hit #1 on youtube any day now

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

hot balls man no homo posted:

You can't borrow against expected income because then they'd have to open their books and that would make any banker slap the poo poo out of you for even trying to get a loan. As soon as the layoffs start or the pay checks start to bounce expect refunds to surge and "pledging" to freeze. A few of the die hards might keep pledging but most backers are going to see how things pan out before buying another space news van.

The only way a bank would loan them money is because of the technicality that people are "pledging/donating" instead buying jpegs, because if they told a bank that they've sold x number of jpegs they'd also have to mention that they haven't technically delivered those jpegs, and then instantly every single one of those jpegs turns into an outstanding debt for a company with no real source of income.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Those pledge dollars would not count as income to a bank accountant. They are considered preorders. The only way they'd be able to have money loaned to them is on the basis of sales of a released game. Since they can't even estimate a release date (and if they told the bank one they'd have to keep it) they will be getting 0 dollars.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Sillybones posted:

Got bored and gave up on this a week ago. gently caress you guys, basically.

ok I laughed

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Raskolnikov posted:

The show space battles / ship descriptions and Miller's investigation of Julie were huge sore spots for me. Also the crew wasn't properly introduced at all. It felt like a couple of strangers for way too many episodes.

Also Ganymede station was crazy in the book. In the show it was like "oh, well, that room wasn't the best place to be, oh well!"

There's just a lot of lost flavor. Less Holden's boring life is a plus though.

It would be better to watch the show and enjoy it and then read the book and appreciate it more

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Those pledge dollars would not count as income to a bank accountant. They are considered preorders. The only way they'd be able to have money loaned to them is on the basis of sales of a released game. Since they can't even estimate a release date (and if they told the bank one they'd have to keep it) they will be getting 0 dollars.

That's a very simplistic view of things, banks lend on projected income/sale figures all the time to start ups. Also if you have 14 different companies you can do all sorts of clever accounting. You could have company A pay company B under a contract for work, then borrow on contracted income, company A could buy a building, rent it out to company C and remortgage it.

Assuming they can't get a loan is assuming bankers are smarter than Citizens and doesn't even consider private investors.

Someone was betting on a date they'll go bust, I was just pointing out that's real tough to judge. I don't think they'll go bust when there's zero in their bank account, I think they'll owe millions at the end.

AP fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 22, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Orions Lord posted:

Why the safety glasses.

Those are Google Glass.

EDIT: f;b. Who is that idiot anyway?

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 22, 2017

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
How is this poo poo show still going?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

While that is true of any well run bank, I bet you that they could find a bank that would loan them money. Be it a small amount for just a few months or a large loan over many years ..... only the Roberts crazy hands would know.

After all, with 14+ registered companies behind Chris Roberts, they have bound to have used pledged money to pay another one of the companies for 'work done' their by registering it as money earned/profit for work done.

i.e. You know that most likely Chris Roberts is 'selling' his script writing to CIG as a cost to the game - it's a material that is being brought by the company for use in the game - this could allow it to maybe be written off as an expense and a write down on tax plus moving money from the 'Pledged Pool' to the 'Earned Pool'

They also have 'earned' some of the money by having subscribers to their media shows - this money could have a loan taken against it.

He is a scummy oval office and having been in Hollywood, would know the ways of scummy money manipulation.

+Swedish Mafia!

EDIT - I got ganked by AP .... he left out the Swedish Mafia thought so I'm still good.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 22, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
If CIG's pledges are income, isn't income taxable? Could they end up owing money to the IRS as well as the backers? By calling those pledges money you made- through a sale no less- it isn't a free transfer of wealth.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TerraGoetia posted:

a quick recap of the last seven or so months...

CIG makes an In-editor cutscene filled "demo" and promises the features are coming soon. They make $8,000,000.

When the sales start to run out a few months after that, they create another in-editor cutscene filled "demo" and promise those features are coming soon. They make $7,500,000.

After that they run a "limited time only" sale of "limited supply" jpegs fresh after the second fake cutscene trailer demo and make a few more million.

That's kept them going from August last year until now. Leaks say they have just started creating the lies they intend to sell later this year, so they may go broke before they've actually finished fabricating the lies this time.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I just realized CIG is the Enron of gaming devs, dozens of shell companies moving money between them and putting it up as revenue earned in the books.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Aronja_Art/status/833975505326071808

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/834175996672737280

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
FLOATING CHARACTER IN OLISAR

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
in crsuade, do some mission with ships and back to olisar, exit ship

ACTUAL RESULT
sometimes the character would appeared like in the screenshots

EXPECTED RESULT
funny bug, fix it or not, CIG's call

GETTING OUT OF THE VANGUARD SEAT PUTS ME THROUGH THE WINSHIELD

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Get our of my Seat
2 Stuck through winshield

ACTUAL RESULT
Stuck through winshield

EXPECTED RESULT
Get out of seat and be able to walk around the ship

MANY PEOPLE CANNOT GET SHIPS FROM THE TERMINALS IT SAYS ALL PADS ARE FULL WHEN IN FACT THEY ARE EMPTY IVE GOT 8 PEOPLE STANDING IN FRONT OF ME AND NONE OF US CAN GET SHIPS OUT NO MATTER WHAT STRUT WE ARE AT

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6GcMi4NfIc&t=110s

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Banks and investors pour cash into ~dream~ companies all the time, CIG can show real numbers that indicate it could be hugely profitable.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All of that is based on the assumption that they haven't already tapped out possible investment cash already.

If the leaks are true and they got something like millions or tens of millions of outside funding that was then plowed into the years of the imaginarium shoots and animation re-working for the most useless part of the game then that money becomes a liability for any future investments.

There is a difference in a "Dream Project" that has a bunch of it's own funding from it's community seeking supplementary income, and a "Dream Project" that has been taking investment dollars in the millions on top of it's own community funding and still needs more.

It's not like any of the tens of millions spent on motion capturing Crobbler's movie dreams actually produced anything worthwhile that could be monetized. It's probably arguable that any amount of money an investor would likely invest wouldn't actually help at this point.

Hypothetically a magical investor gives them $25,000,000 tomorrow. Their management is still running a hugely overblown company, focusing on the exact wrong things to make, making them terribly and pushing an impossible lie while ignoring everything else. Money just lets Chris Roberts operate longer, it doesn't actually change what he is doing, how he is doing it or what the outcome will be.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 22, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So whats the deal with this freak?
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/372011/celebrate-2-6-1-show-your-support-buy-a-chit

quote:

Chits are UEC money and can be used to upgrade your ship, weapons or buy anything in game but most importantly fund this endeavor

Buying one with the release of 2.6.1 and every patch forward shows you support Star Citizen. As backers it unites us a community. Its a win win

If money's tight buy a 5 dollar chit every patch, by release you might have enough for that dream ship

Looking to upgrade but waiting for a sale, buy the chits at patch releases to show your support and thank the team.

Funding in this matter better connects us as a community, shows your support and allows our voices to be heard as a whole

I bought a chit and if you support this endeavor please consider buying one too. Thank You :)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/extras?product_id=41
not a cult

quote:

I see someone with a lot of faith. I like it! Quite impressive for being pretty new to all this :)

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

They fixed issues that had absolutely NO Issue Council tickets filed, at all.... yeah that Issue Council really helps... there were even some things noted in the patch notes that they "added" that players on the PTU were never even told anything about, and so thus never tested... Makes ya go. Hmmmm.... don't it? I also can't count how many changes they did to various individual ships in the PTU that were NOT included in the Patch notes! So next time they do a patch, read the patch notes, then go look for the things on the Issue Council.

Now, they're closing these Forums down.

They've disabled the "New Discussion" button for more then half the users here; so we can't make new threads anymore, but only reply to existing ones. They want to push everyone over to Spectrum, which many people here do not like. It has soooo many problems, and had soooo many Issue Council reports, its not funny. Now where are all those reports? Gone. Wiped to oblivion, because CIG closed the PTU Issue Council...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TerraGoetia posted:

Middle-aged nerds, the worst kind, as they have money.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

If CIG's pledges are income, isn't income taxable? Could they end up owing money to the IRS as well as the backers? By calling those pledges money you made- through a sale no less- it isn't a free transfer of wealth.

Income is not taxable (besides sales tax and such). You're thinking about profit. You can have all the income in the world but if you're spending it all in lovely mocap and donuts then you don't have to pay taxes.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 22, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And if there is one thing that we know for sure is that, until now, CIG has made a big fat profit of ZERO.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the profit issue is resolved since the game will debut as one of the best selling games of all time with at least 5,000,000 units sold on top of the copies already promised to backers for 6.5+ million sold copies.

-Chris Roberts

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

trucutru posted:

And if there is one thing that we know for sure is that, until now, CIG has made a big fat profit of ZERO.

Wow, so there is one thing they made less progress on than on the game. Even Derek Smart has to agree that they made some progress towards creating a game. They did create art assets (albeit mismatching), code (somewhat buggy) and delivered it to their customers (as alpha/tech demo). While that certainly is a low amount of progress. It is indeed some kind of progress.
Though with CIG, not every patch is a step forward.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come. I'm waiting on the good times now.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Space Crabs posted:

I'll :toxx: myself that they don't make it to 3.0 and the company evaporates sometime between April and October of this year.

228 days until Citizen Con 2017.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Cant wait for the live-action web serie starring Sandy flying on a Ben around port Olissar.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
In other news, a game that is real and will likely release with the promised featureset soonish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsSzoQJek70

This is what Citizens dream about Star Citizen will be.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

:golfclap:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

:five:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Brilliant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌