Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The centipede seems like a bit of a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm after the Iga Escape, and some bosses were a joke you could win by being aggressive. Ninja Toad and White Kitty had tiny HP Pools, Umi Bozu had too much. I enjoyed all the Human Bosses and stuff like Yuki Onna so far the most.

I don't know what that Castle Spider boss did, it died so fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The human and/or human-sized bosses are definitely the best ones, overall. Giant Toad is still my favorite--he's not that tough, but he's cool as hell, and so is the level leading up to him.

I really do think all the hardest bosses are in the first region. There were only two bosses that really gave me a hard time after that: Yuki-Onna and Shima Sakon at Sekigahara.

I actually don't know why so many people seem to have trouble with Saika Magoichi. Just dodge when he teleports so he can't grab you and block the bullets he fires and you should do fine. I don't mean this like "I'm so good, git gud" or anything. Yuki-Onna owned me over and over again the first time I fought her and I almost threw my controller over the loving Bridge Guy in that one side-mission even though he's basically just a normal axe user with a lot of health, so I'm not super great at the game. Saika just seemed not that bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Saika is pretty hard until you realize how easily he is to knock down while in the air.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

See, and I only knocked him down once the first time I fought him and he still wasn't that bad. His attacks are all pretty easy to dodge or block and hugely telegraphed. I did get a knockdown on him, but it was totally by accident--I tagged him with the tip of my sword while he was still airborne and was pleasantly surprised at how much it owned him.

Then I farmed him in "The Watcher in Darkness" later and he only killed me once when I got super greedy and forgot to use an Elixir.

I dunno, maybe he's just one of those bosses that I click with no problem. Meanwhile Yuki-Onna still owns me if I don't cheese her. I still can't react to the (very short) telegraph on her charge-to-impale move so the only way I can fight her in NG+ is to Sloth and Discord her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think most of the difficulty in Saika comes from understanding the dodge timing of his bombs. Once I got that, it wasn't a big deal, but it's kind of a new thing to get used to. Knocking him out of the air prevents him from almost ever throwing bombs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really curious what weapon has the highest theoretical DPS. Can anything beat swords? I know for most of the game, kusarigama win because of Reaper--that's why speedrunners use those--but once you get Sword of Execution, swords have access to a massive damage boost that no other weapon gets. Do other weapons have anything that compensates, damage-wise?

I'm suddenly really enjoying dual swords and the wider range of technical combos they offer over single swords, but when I want to really do damage, I switch to the katana. It helps that Sword of Execution counts knocked-down enemies as hitting from behind, too, so it applies to knockdown Iai Quickdraws and stabs, too. With Weakness and Carnage, I've seen 18k or more damage in one iai strike, and that's not even fully min-maxed. I have room for set bonuses that increase damage from behind and soul matching +damage on all my armor, not to mention my weapon is only +4 and it goes up to +10.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would not be surprised at all if swords were the best weapon. Considering they are 60% of the loot and also the aesthetic the game is going for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The more I think about it, though, I wouldn't be surprised if skillful use of the dual sword's Water Sword or kusarigama's Reaper attacks could beat sword DPS even though they don't have the huge Sword of Execution damage boost. Under identical conditions--let's assume Weakness, Carnage, and a Discorded enemy, just so we can get into full-on ideal DPS conditions--they can probably dump so much damage into an enemy so quickly that the sword's slower, much bigger hits still can't keep up. I really want to find out, though.

If nothing else, sword is definitely the "boring but effective" weapon, which seems appropriate. It has some tricky, technical moves, like Backwave -> Tempest, but it doesn't have anything truly flashy. It doesn't have things like Spearfall, God of Wind, Moon Shadow, Water Sword, Reaper, Black Vines, or anything like that. Sword's flashiest moves are Iai Quickdraw and Sword of Meditation (which I've actually never tried), both of which are much more in the "wait for a while, then do a huge hit" camp, which is still very cool in a different way but not nearly as "I'm pressing all the buttons and doing awesome poo poo" cool like other weapons have.

That's not really a complaint about sword, either. It's still my favorite weapon to use, even though I'm learning to like dual swords a lot. But I can see why some people think it's the weakest weapon (which I've seen on the Nioh subreddit)--it just doesn't have the same "holy poo poo" factor.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Moon Shadow sucks rear end, to be honest. I'm going to respec soon just to get rid of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like Moon Shadow, at least as an idea for a skill. It's only really worthwhile on human bosses or revenants, I guess--they're the only enemies who block and who have enough Ki that you can't just mash attack to break their guard without destroying your own Ki. That, and it gets screwed up by walls. Oh, and I always forget to use it because I'm still pretty new to dual swords. :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So as a complete and total newbie to this game and focusing on Katanas should I just hammer heart or should I be diverse in my skill points?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, what's the Orochi strategy again?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, what's the Orochi strategy again?

Hide behind the big crystals and just run around a bunch. Try to get close to each head and bait him to slam down so he breaks a crystal, which is what makes each head vulnerable.

(If there's a less tedious way to do it, I didn't find it.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So as a complete and total newbie to this game and focusing on Katanas should I just hammer heart or should I be diverse in my skill points?

Short answer: don't worry about it. Katanas scale well with Heart, Skill, and Strength. The difference in the scaling letters isn't that big, so going all-in on Heart or all-in on Skill is equally valid.

Long answer: Honestly, my recommendation is to get Heart to like 15 but then go nuts on Skill.

Up to 15 Heart you get 2 Ki per point, which is definitely worth it. After that it's 1 Ki per point until 40, at which point it's 1 Ki per two points (not worth it). If you're focusing on katanas you should probably get Heart to 40 by the end of the game because why not, but early on, Skill is better. Skill gives you more samurai skill points to spend than Heart does and scales your katana damage almost as well (seriously, at 80 points in either stat, the difference is 20 damage between all Heart and all Skill, and to put that in perspective, endgame NG weapons have like 600-700 base damage). Plus, it improves your Ki pulse stat which (to try to explain it simply) lets you Ki pulse faster and/or get more Ki back on an imperfect Ki pulse.

As a bonus, Skill also scales dual katanas, kusarigama, and spears very effectively. Combined with giving you more samurai skill points to spend than other stats, that lets you experiment with multiple weapon types a lot more easily. The common advice is to focus on either Skill or Strength (which is similar to Skill, but gives you equip weight and less Ki pulse) first, then respec later if you decide you want to be more specialized.

Other build advice:

- Most people suggest that you start by getting 10 in every stat, and that's pretty good advice. Even when I respecced to be more specialized in the late game, I still have at least 10 in everything except Dexterity (just because I don't care much about ninjutsu on this character).
- Body does not equal Vitality from the Souls games. You're getting 10 Life per level no matter what stat you pick, so there's no reason to make Body one of your main stats unless you decide you want to major in spears.
- You will need some body for armor requirements unless you're using heavy armor. Medium armor requires Body and Strength, while light armor requires Body and Skill.
- The damage reduction difference between medium and light armor is fairly small. You'll take 7% more damage in full light armor than you will in full medium armor. That's not enough to worry about. Medium armor does have some great set bonuses, but so does light. That's probably going to be more of the deciding factor in which type of armor you use eventually, but don't worry about it for now. Having 10 in every stat is going to let you use most of the armor you find for a while so you can experiment easily.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 22, 2017

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This game is an unfair, cruel, tediously difficult, headache-inducing, controller-smashing slog that is all-in-all more addictive than fun. I love it!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

But my favorite thing is probably how archers and marksmen react to your movement. If you wait for just the "right" moment to dash towards them, you get hit with an arrow to the face. This truly is the sequel to bloodborne.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So my buddy who vehemently hates Souls games borrowed this game from me and after struggling with the menus and first boss seems to actually be enjoying it a good deal. I really think Team Ninja did a great job pushing the formular forward and expanding the genre's audience.

That being said the menus are pretty loving terrible and obtuse. I feel like everything about buying and equipping skills and readying jutsu/magic could be condensed down to one screen and not being able to sort items by name is kinda crazy. it also asks you to play through what could be 3 hours of the game before it presents you with actual tutorials for stuff you could have used to beat that first real level.

e: also I really wish you could creates weapon/armor loadouts or at least mark things as favorite instead of just locking them

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So the fact that this is a Souls clone without shame has me interested, mainly because everything I've heard suggests it's a very, very good Souls clone, but I have one question now that it's been released: how important is multiplayer?
I'm not really willing to subscribe to PS+ so I want to know if the MP is also along the lines of Souls MP where without it you might not get the full experience, but it's not really a 100% necessary part of gameplay. Is that the case here or is this the sort of game where you kind of need it due to difficulty or lack of variety?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

That being said the menus are pretty loving terrible and obtuse. I feel like everything about buying and equipping skills and readying jutsu/magic could be condensed down to one screen and not being able to sort items by name is kinda crazy. it also asks you to play through what could be 3 hours of the game before it presents you with actual tutorials for stuff you could have used to beat that first real level.

Agreed, alphabetic sort is a serious oversight, and I also found it mysterious that there's a level where you battle through enemies and even a boss with instructions along the way before they actually give you the tutorial on controlling your character

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So the fact that this is a Souls clone without shame has me interested, mainly because everything I've heard suggests it's a very, very good Souls clone, but I have one question now that it's been released: how important is multiplayer?
I'm not really willing to subscribe to PS+ so I want to know if the MP is also along the lines of Souls MP where without it you might not get the full experience, but it's not really a 100% necessary part of gameplay. Is that the case here or is this the sort of game where you kind of need it due to difficulty or lack of variety?

"Not very". The most interesting aspect of the online are fighting people's asynchronous revenants and looting their gear. The game kind of breaks when you throw two people at it, and you'll be repeating these areas enough via twilight missions and NG+ that you probably don't wanna get burned out co-oping with people.

Nioh is very much a Souls clone, but meaningfully the areas where it really succeeds (combat, loot, setting) are areas where it diverges from Souls the most. Explains why Dark Souls 3 left me with such a "meh" feeling towards the end while Nioh feels like a revelation akin to Bloodborne.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Multiplayer is a nice to have but not required. The biggest way you'll interact with other "players" is by fighting their AI revenants which I'm guessing doesn't require PS+ to see. Otherwise you'll just be missing out on the ability to jump into other people's games or summon help if you're stuck on a tough part.

The game is very beatable in single player though, especially if you're willing to swallow your pride and look up strategies.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I CO-OPed all of NG+ since beating a mission in NG counts for NG+ you can Yokai Realm each mission, I cleared the entire thing in record time and it made it different enough in 2 player that I didn't feel like I was just rehashing what I had done in NG.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Deified Data posted:

"Not very". The most interesting aspect of the online are fighting people's asynchronous revenants and looting their gear. The game kind of breaks when you throw two people at it, and you'll be repeating these areas enough via twilight missions and NG+ that you probably don't wanna get burned out co-oping with people.

Nioh is very much a Souls clone, but meaningfully the areas where it really succeeds (combat, loot, setting) are areas where it diverges from Souls the most. Explains why Dark Souls 3 left me with such a "meh" feeling towards the end while Nioh feels like a revelation akin to Bloodborne.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. And honestly, the fact that it's a Souls clone is a big point in my favor anyway. Been playing that series since Demon Souls, and it's garnered so much good will from me that any game that even remotely manages to replicate that gameplay has already earned points. The fact that you're comparing it to Bloodborne is even better, one of the main reasons I was considering paying full price for this was because I'm just now wrapping up my NG+ of Bloodborne and was still aiming to scratch that itch.

Edit:diwnloading now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't done any actual multiplayer and I'm most of the way through NG+ so I wouldn't say it's all that important. There are no invasions or anything--right now, the only true multiplayer is co-op, though they are adding PvP in April.

One cool thing is that player bloodstains in this actually let you summon an AI-controlled version of the player who died and fight them and get loot, which is cool, and I think you can do that without PS+, from what I've heard.

The reason Nioh is a good Souls clone is because it actually isn't as much of a Souls clone as, say, Lords of the Fallen. Yes, you drop your EXP when you die and need to get your bloodstain back to regain it, and yes, you level up stats individually with your experience. Beyond that, though, it's very much its own beast. The combat is vastly different, for one thing, focusing more on customizable combos than anything else. It has a Diablo-like loot system. It's also much more story-driven. What makes this so good is that it isn't like Lords of the Fallen--it's its own game first, with a few systems taken from Souls, and that's cool as hell.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Giving up on the Genius Strategist farming. I nearly lost my poo poo when I got the text for his lovely sword before I realized what it was. It's an amazing armor set but it's not worth fighting the same boring fight 20+ times.

Actually died to Mitsunari with like a sliver of health left, didn't have the time to fight him again before work. I don't usually feel embarrassed to die to bosses but he seemed especially straightforward.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't know if I am underleveled, not doing something right with my gear, or what, but the SPider Castle has taken this game from fun and challenging to I am looking for poo poo to throw across the room because I keep dying in the same spot. Second Shrine, spider, hill with ball, purple tongue guy who hits way too hard, and if I do make it past him, somehow I get tagged by red Yokai in the room at the top of the hill.

I am hating life right now. Did the difficulty take a huge jump or did I neglect to upgrade my gear somehow? (I admit I don't understand reforging and poo poo... but I thought that really only mattered when you had good late game gear anyway...)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

I don't know if I am underleveled, not doing something right with my gear, or what, but the SPider Castle has taken this game from fun and challenging to I am looking for poo poo to throw across the room because I keep dying in the same spot. Second Shrine, spider, hill with ball, purple tongue guy who hits way too hard, and if I do make it past him, somehow I get tagged by red Yokai in the room at the top of the hill.

I am hating life right now. Did the difficulty take a huge jump or did I neglect to upgrade my gear somehow? (I admit I don't understand reforging and poo poo... but I thought that really only mattered when you had good late game gear anyway...)

You're correct, reforging is almost certainly not the problem. As long as you're fighting revenants with some regularity you should be staying pretty well-geared.

Well, you know the hill with the ball is there now, so you can avoid it going forward. The onyudo (the guys with the long tongues) are jerks and quickly becoming my least favorite yokai to fight, like I'd actually rather fight a raven tengu instead, but in general, the same advice applies to them as to most yokai: dodge behind them, hit them in the back. It's hard to give more detailed advice than that, unfortunately. If you're doing poo poo for damage, you probably do need a gear upgrade, and you should either forge something new (forging is simpler than reforging) or fight some revenants until you get something good.

The giant spiders get wrecked if you can hit them in the back, by the way. They have a glowing abdomen and hitting that is the equivalent of hitting a normal yoki in the head, in that it destroys their Ki and makes them really vulnerable until they can recover. That makes them a lot easier to fight, I find.

Are you using ranged weapons? For example, you should be pulling that yoki out of the room to fight him in the open. You've fought many like him before, so just do the same thing you have been.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
All sage advice. The ball wasn't the problem btw, just letting everyone know where I meant.

Sure enough after bitching, I made it all the way around far enough to open that door at the 2nd shrine for a shortcut. I think the issue is just that everything hits EXPONENTIALLY harder than it has been, so getting tagged in a mistake now means certain death.

I will investigate my weapons and see what I can do. I will say, I switched to lighter gear ( now at 55.8% instead of 82% and I think I get more weapon swings out of my Ki bar... and of course move a little peppier.

I feel like forging gear gave me poo poo that looked and felt and had numbers A LOT like what I already had. Was I doing it wrong? I was using highest quality materials I had...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If the things you're forging are about as good as what you're using, that generally means you're about as well-geared as you're going to be right now. I'm not too sure what determines the level of crafted items you can create, whether it's your level or your progress through the game, but it goes up over time. Did you try forging recently? You might be at a new "tier" of gear. Though really, fighting some revenants in the level you're in should help gear you up if gear is the problem.

Lighter gear might be making a difference, but it shouldn't be exponential. Heavy armor provides 25% damage reduction for a full set; medium armor provides 15%; light provides 8%. So there are noticeable differences, but it shouldn't be that huge.

For what it's worth, I didn't notice a huge difference in the damage I was taking around that point. Yokai, especially, always took huge chunks of my Life away when I got hit, especially with the big wind-up attacks, so if they started to do more damage around that time compared to my Life and defense I didn't really notice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh I think they do do much more damage. Even the mook skeleton dudes with swords do a lot more damage.

All good advice though, thank you!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Much like a souls game, the skeletons here can wreck your poo poo if you don't pay attention, especially the sword variety. They're much easier to stunlock though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As a single katana user, the sword skeletons are a joke, because they are easily parried. Spear ones are much harder to parry.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmchZRyeDU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK, after doing a few NG+ missions I think I'm going to move on to greener pastures. I had a lot of fun with the 60 hours I've spent but it's just more of the same to me at this point. Maybe I'll drop back in after the DLC is on sale. Thanks for all the tips

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

Oh I think they do do much more damage. Even the mook skeleton dudes with swords do a lot more damage.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Much like a souls game, the skeletons here can wreck your poo poo if you don't pay attention, especially the sword variety. They're much easier to stunlock though.

Snak posted:

As a single katana user, the sword skeletons are a joke, because they are easily parried. Spear ones are much harder to parry.

Here's how to destroy every skeleton: kick them. Any kick move demolishes their Ki. That's true of the human-sized and the giant ones. Kicks are amazingly effective on them. It takes like two kicks (at least the katana skill tree kicks) to wipe out their Ki, then you just stab them. Or do an iai strike and then stab them and they are definitely dead.

I generally parry the human-sized ones now because the katana parry works on them, like Snak says, but if you can't, kick 'em.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, even the big one los 80% of their ki to a kick

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I just got to the fourth island and did one mission. I think I'm finally going to use a book of reincarnation. I have acquired many things in skill trees that I either dislike or no longer have use for. Gotta go through and carefully count how many points I need for every tree.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Saika is really easy if you stay mobile. I beat him first try by keeping my distance when he goes ham with his bird and closing in when he's grounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I just got to the fourth island and did one mission. I think I'm finally going to use a book of reincarnation. I have acquired many things in skill trees that I either dislike or no longer have use for. Gotta go through and carefully count how many points I need for every tree.

I saw a build planner linked on reddit. I haven't used it, and I don't have the link, but it exists...