Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
The gently caress is that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but if you go the other direction it rapidly turns into this

Your point being?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
That's the wrong thing to try and bait Plutonis with.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but if you go the other direction it rapidly turns into this

I'm quoting this so you all have to see it on another page.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Why are we talking about XCom 2 here? That's a video game.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Because there exists a non-videogame boardgame version of XCOM. And it might be...not exactly the soldier-lemming-death-simulator people expected?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

slap me and kiss me posted:

I think you'll find that there is more to XCOM than just...a video game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I really wish they had released a ruleset for XCOM as a tactical board/mini game. They designed the game as one to start with and elaborated from there once it felt good. I mean, you could reverse engineer it fairly easily if you just wanted the rules, but I would also want some cool official minis of Sectoids and Mutons and stuff, you know?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kwyndig posted:

I really wish they had released a ruleset for XCOM as a tactical board/mini game. They designed the game as one to start with and elaborated from there once it felt good. I mean, you could reverse engineer it fairly easily if you just wanted the rules, but I would also want some cool official minis of Sectoids and Mutons and stuff, you know?

You'd want to simplify some things about the calculations, but yeah, you could just port it to tabletop pretty directly. Having an official version would be super cool.

I wonder how you'd handle the whole discovering packs of enemies, though. Like the biggest risk you take in XCOM is when you go for a flank and might accidentally activate new enemies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Welp, I now have 2 1/2 weeks to figure out that Mass Effect hack for my wife's birthday.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

Welp, I now have 2 1/2 weeks to figure out that Mass Effect hack for my wife's birthday.

Do tell. Also, there are plenty already online for FATE, AW, d6, and some original systems.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
There's a Spacemaster hack for Mass Effect.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

I wonder how you'd handle the whole discovering packs of enemies, though. Like the biggest risk you take in XCOM is when you go for a flank and might accidentally activate new enemies.

You could borrow Space Hulk's blips. Maybe instead of blips they could be fog of war counters that only get flipped over when a soldier gets LOS on it. If it reveals aliens, then the alien player gets to place them somewhere within a radius of the counter. Soldier gets to place them if they are surprised.

Infinity has some elements that remind me of XCOM.

Covok
May 27, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

What in the nine circles of hell is spacemaster?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jimbozig posted:

You'd want to simplify some things about the calculations, but yeah, you could just port it to tabletop pretty directly. Having an official version would be super cool.

That's actually easy. If they're static then the alien player would just mark their locations in secret at the start of play. If you were using a board instead of freeform terrain you wouldn't even need a judge (since you could just make a sheet). Another option would be to use blind tokens, so you would know there might be a pod ahead but you couldn't be sure until you activate them. Tokens would work better if the alien player was allowed to move the pods between XCOM turns.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Spacemaster is the Space Version of Rolemaster, complete with weapon charts, dozens of crit tables, and the exact same armor proficiency rules but with like plate armor renamed to be power armor or something. And basically just the mentalism school of magic redone as psionics.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm probably going with Strike! or maybe a hack of Fragged Empire.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

What in the nine circles of hell is spacemaster?

Nothing you wanna play Mass Effect in, more sussinctly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm probably going with Strike!

Is what I would recommend, that or some 4e.

Covok
May 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Spacemaster is the Space Version of Rolemaster, complete with weapon charts, dozens of crit tables, and the exact same armor proficiency rules but with like plate armor renamed to be power armor or something. And basically just the mentalism school of magic redone as psionics.

Sounds...awful. Thanks for the explanation.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm probably going with Strike! or maybe a hack of Fragged Empire.

I can see Strike!, even if it isn't my cup of tea. Of course, the question becomes "does she like tac combat?"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Mr.Misfit posted:

Because there exists a non-videogame boardgame version of XCOM. And it might be...not exactly the soldier-lemming-death-simulator people expected?

Mr.Misfit posted:

Yes, but that wasn't what I was getting at.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LongDarkNight posted:

Based on the classic rules or the later "Standard System" revisions?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I'm curious now, got a link to the Spacemaster Mass Effect hack? I tried to Google it but got nothing useful. It doesn't sound like something I'd like to play (having a love-hate relationship with Mass Effect and not having played Spacemaster) but I'd like to see how it's put together.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

Based on the classic rules or the later "Standard System" revisions?

Not sure, I joined the campaign after it had already been going for awhile and just used the character maker spreadsheet.

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm curious now, got a link to the Spacemaster Mass Effect hack? I tried to Google it but got nothing useful. It doesn't sound like something I'd like to play (having a love-hate relationship with Mass Effect and not having played Spacemaster) but I'd like to see how it's put together.

I'll see if I still have the pdf when I get home from work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No offense, but Rolemaster always seemed to me like one of the many many games that have a lot of rules for combat, but little in the way of actual tactics.

Covok posted:

I can see Strike!, even if it isn't my cup of tea. Of course, the question becomes "does she like tac combat?"
She'd better. I'm pretty sure she'll be pissed if I make her hunt for palladium deposits, though.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Mass Effect Hacks

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ed9ownvlarltf/Mass_Effect_RPG_Hacks

Enjoy.

Re: Mutant Year Zero discussion

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3777631&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post469635025

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 22, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The other day I stumbled across a comic series that would be a great campaign setting for Unknown Armies, Mage either of them, the God Machine Chronicles or Dresden.

The Black Monday Murders

All Hail God Mammon

Anyone interested in an occult take on international Finance mixed with plentiful and necessary ritual murder needs to check this out.

Similar to how From Hell weaved a supernatural mythology around the Ripper killings, The Black Monday Murders (all hail God Mammon) builds a daemonical backstory around the tragedies in the esoteric world of the Rothschilds, money and the Stock Market.

And it's host to a straight occult detective story to boot!

Have some quotes:

Grigoria Rothschild "... So... I understand you've become a teacher. I have to say I was suprised when I heard, but it seems to suit you. You look well."

Alexi "I admit. I like it more than I though I would."

GR "And how does this year's crop of future financial titans look?"

Alexi "Oh. Smart. They are smarter every year, it seems. But they are, unfortunately, a flawed generation. Children of the summer, you seen. They all believe money falls from the sky. Not that it is pulled from the Earth.

But they will learn. They always do."

---

Viktor (to classroom of new financiers) "So. You want real advice? Here it is. The first million dollars you make is self-financed. You earn it with your own blood. The cost is your own health, your family, your friends.

You pay, understand?

The most common mistake is believing that you can accrue even more by continuing this behavior. You cannot. If you're going to earn more...if you are going to earn real money-- accumulate real power-- then that is done on the backs of others.

Call them workers, call them proles, even call them slaves. I do not care. Just know, it is they who you will sacrifice for gain.

This sounds callous, I know. But you're going to learn very quickly how insignificant the rules you have lived by truly are. What we do falls outside all societal norms... This is the older pact. Man's very first trade."

All Hail God Mammon

Image Comics: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/the-black-monday-murders-vol.-1-all-hail-god-mammon-tp

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jimbozig posted:

Ditch it because it's a garbage mechanic that only exists to paper over deficiencies in the AI.

e: I mean there's nothing wrong with a fight receiving reinforcements on a set trigger, but a blind chance that making an otherwise tactically correct decision will gently caress you up isn't great to begin with, and then there's the way activation actually works which is even worse.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 22, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ditch it because it's a garbage mechanic that only exists to paper over deficiencies in the AI.

This, but if you really need for there to be some kind of thing: Give enemy units a 'spaces per turn' move mechanic the same as your players, and start them at one or two spawn points, and move them yourself on the GM turn. Be your own AI.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Error 404 posted:

This, but if you really need for there to be some kind of thing: Give enemy units a 'spaces per turn' move mechanic the same as your players, and start them at one or two spawn points, and move them yourself on the GM turn. Be your own AI.

Alternatively make the trade-off explicit instead of a gamble. "You can grab the high ground to get an advantage over your enemies, but you'll be visible from far away and their base will probably send more troops to investigate (in a few turns)" or something. Let them grab a payoff at a price instead of "oops, Mutons."

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If it was used for fog of war, rather than a roll on a random encounter chart, it seems fine to me. Similar to the blips in Space Hulk

edit: VVV that's essentially what space hulk does. You move around tokens that on the face up side have a motion scanner blip and on the face down side it has 0-6 aliens. Only the alien player knows what's underneath until a marine gets line of sight on the blip.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 22, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Alternatively make the trade-off explicit instead of a gamble. "You can grab the high ground to get an advantage over your enemies, but you'll be visible from far away and their base will probably send more troops to investigate (in a few turns)" or something. Let them grab a payoff at a price instead of "oops, Mutons."

This is also good. I was just imagining a 4E style map with tokens kind of deal, where you just move the enemy tokens and it makes no real difference until the players get within range or line of sight.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Error 404 posted:

No squad would ever survive any mission in xcom if the aliens were controlled by a human instead of being on patrols and stuff. Aliens could just take their time, surround the enemy, and destroy them by attacking all at once.

The "oops, now you are fighting two packs" mechanic is what makes XCOM fun. If you only ever faced one pack at a time, it'd be too easy, and if you always had to face two or more packs at a time it'd be too hard and you'd keep losing to attrition.

The game thrives on decisions like "If I run out there for the flank and I trigger those thin men I've been hearing, how hosed am I? Okay, now I just missed two 70% shots in a row. How hosed am I if I don't take that flank?"

And if you miss those shots and get forced to attempt the flank, and the flank triggers the thin men... That's XCOM! If you want to take out the "sometimes the RNG fucks you and you wipe" factor, then you aren't implementing XCOM faithfully (which is what we were talking about here). Losing dudes is legitimately part of the fun. That's why there is a memorial, that's why you run multiple squads, and that's why you can always recruit more dudes.

It's also why the game would only really work as 1 v 1 and not 1 v many.

Anyway, I need to look up what you guys are talking about with the "blips" because that sounds really interesting.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So I've been looking through my old RPG poo poo and I came across the boxed set for Buck Rogers XXVc. Now, I know that game gets a lot of poo poo because it was basically the product of Lorraine Williams and Flint Dille and their family shenanigans. But reading the setting material, it's pretty good. I think it was just shackled to a cornball license that doesn't actually have much to do with it beyond a couple namedrops here and there. It's sort of a gritty use of pulp tropes, like it has rocketships and all that, but also reworks things so instead of aliens, it has genetically engineered beings, etc. It's kind of like FEAR Agent if you've ever read that comic. It's also topical since a futuristic alliance between Russia and America is the main villain group in the game. I think I'm going to redo it using a sane modern system, with the Buck Rogers poo poo filtered out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

No offense, but Rolemaster always seemed to me like one of the many many games that have a lot of rules for combat, but little in the way of actual tactics.

Because of the way your rolls start taking penalties as you get progressively more wounded, the game seems to emphasize "alpha strikes" and winning initiative.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rolemaster is not to be played, the books are to be looked through for enjoyment and inspiration for off the wall standard fantasy stuff for use in good games.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lightning Lord posted:

So I've been looking through my old RPG poo poo and I came across the boxed set for Buck Rogers XXVc. Now, I know that game gets a lot of poo poo because it was basically the product of Lorraine Williams and Flint Dille and their family shenanigans. But reading the setting material, it's pretty good. I think it was just shackled to a cornball license that doesn't actually have much to do with it beyond a couple namedrops here and there. It's sort of a gritty use of pulp tropes, like it has rocketships and all that, but also reworks things so instead of aliens, it has genetically engineered beings, etc. It's kind of like FEAR Agent if you've ever read that comic. It's also topical since a futuristic alliance between Russia and America is the main villain group in the game. I think I'm going to redo it using a sane modern system, with the Buck Rogers poo poo filtered out.

They actually had a pair of PC games made out of that. They were done in the Gold Box style and were oddly enough my first exposure to Buck Rogers.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

They actually had a pair of PC games made out of that. They were done in the Gold Box style and were oddly enough my first exposure to Buck Rogers.

Yeah, Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed. They're actually not very good introductions to Buck Rogers because all the characters from that do is show up for five seconds to be all "Nice work, <PCNAME>!" it's much more focused on the original setting itself.

I think what happened is that Williams wanted to launder money or get the license to Buck Rogers renewed or something, and had her brother Flint write up a brief bible for that. Then Mike Pondsmith and Jeff Grubb turned it into an actual workable setting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Rolemaster is not to be played, the books are to be looked through for enjoyment and inspiration for off the wall standard fantasy stuff for use in good games.

I keep thinking that Arms Law is usable and playable, especially since it began life as intended to be an overlay on top of AD&D's combat, you just don't want to use the extremely tedious character creation and skill system.

I've written up two attempts to make a game out of it. One based on converting from B/X D&D, and another based on converting from Searchers of the Unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

About the only things I remember about them was that the ship combat let you board enemy ships to kill their life support or fight pirate captains.

• Locked thread