Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

This happened on the same day that Manfred got rid of the 4-pitch intentional walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Unironically glad this will literally never happen in the MLB.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
One of my absolutely favorite things about the sport of baseball is that every single year, without fail, I get to witness something that I have never ever seen happen on the playing field and I think it would be wrong to rob others of that joy. Even for something as dumb as botched IBBs.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm still not sure how to reconcile the goals of "make games shorter" and "increase offense"

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
If you can't lob 4 balls then eat a bag of poo poo.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That episode always reminds me that Steve Sax used to be a thing.

if sports jeopardy ever has a category about the 1988 Dodgers championship team, it has to be titled "Orel Sax"

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

So Carl Edwards Jr. wrote a thing. It's good.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I don't understand why anyone gives a poo poo about IBB.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

A coworker's friend is starting a vintage baseball team (apparently Wisconsin has a pretty active vintage league) and I'm thinking of joining. It sounds pretty fun. Have any of you done something like that? They play with late-1800s period equipment and uniforms so I'm guessing I'll have to bat Brooks Conrad style to keep my hands from getting torn up.

Just remember to stand up perfectly straight with your legs about 6 inches apart and hold the bat at hip height and completely horizontal as if you can barely hold the weight of your bat, you'll be %95 of the way there.

We had a SAS Baseball Players thread but it fell into archives over the winter break unfortunately :( I've had no one to show all the stupid poo poo I bought over winter in an effort to stave of insanity of no baseball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Der Meister posted:

They need something to be fake mad about so people will pay attention to them.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

For real though. I guess watching Homer at the Bat during my formative years glitched my brain into assuming he and Scioscia were elite players like all the others, but neither had a career OPS over .700!

I think Steve Sax was on the show because one of the writers was a big fantasy baseball player and Sax was very valuable due to batting average and steals compared to other 2nd basemen.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Has there been any more talk of starting up an MLB.tv share thread? I'm interested in sharing an account as early as this weekend if anyone else wants to. I looked around for a thread but couldn't find one.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TheChaosPath posted:

That still sounds like a lot of days, man

It is fewer days than before. Don't crap on it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

:smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

Has there been any more talk of starting up an MLB.tv share thread? I'm interested in sharing an account as early as this weekend if anyone else wants to. I looked around for a thread but couldn't find one.

It's a shame that information like this isn't consolidated in an easy to find place, like the beginning of a thread. Possibly in bold and titled appropriately.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Oh wow, I had no idea about that when I made my avatar.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

It's a shame that information like this isn't consolidated in an easy to find place, like the beginning of a thread. Possibly in bold and titled appropriately.

Hey shut up I already read that post once it's not like that information ever changes!!!!

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

IcePhoenix posted:

They need something to be fake mad about so people will pay attention to them.

Or maybe we're just annoyed at Manfred pushing a bunch of asinine rule changes that do nothing to actually address the length/pace of a typical game.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Der Meister posted:

Seems like there could be a slight increase in walks now that they can be over quick enough you really don't have to weather any fan reaction, and the coaches don't have to worry about throwing the pitcher off his rhytm (probably not a valid fear anyway, but the coaches don't know that).

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Or maybe we're just annoyed at Manfred pushing a bunch of asinine rule changes that do nothing to actually address the length/pace of a typical game.

I would argue that keeping IBB the way they are is completely asanine.

Like yes, it does not address the actual issue of length of game but it removes a completely boring thing that literally no one outside of maybe 1% of baseball fans enjoy watching.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ALFbrot posted:

I'm still not sure how to reconcile the goals of "make games shorter" and "increase offense"

Probably something like pitch clocks + batters can't leave the box when calling for time + smaller strike zone. It all probably wouldn't add up to games being significantly shorter in total time, but the pace would certainly pick up. As a lot of people have pointed out here, it's the dead air between pitches that causes the feeling of the game dragging, not the total time itself. Meanwhile a smaller zone would theoretically generate more offense, although I'm not a fan of it personally. That's also a package of some pretty significant changes and if people aren't happy with something as innocuous as automatic IBB's, I'm not sure how all that would go over.

:smith: Poor kid.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IBBs happen once every 5 games played. That means, on a day when every team played, you'd only see 3 intentional walks if you watched every game to completion. This is a useless idea unless you're going to go nuclear on pace of play and simultaneously introduce a pitch clock, enforce batters staying in the box by way of in-game penalty, and put mound visits on a clock.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

A coworker's friend is starting a vintage baseball team (apparently Wisconsin has a pretty active vintage league) and I'm thinking of joining. It sounds pretty fun. Have any of you done something like that? They play with late-1800s period equipment and uniforms so I'm guessing I'll have to bat Brooks Conrad style to keep my hands from getting torn up.

All you need to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkSZGXmuvIo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

An actual, for real, neckbeard in the wild. And not on an Amish man. Impressive.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Not anymore.

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/834467894683717641

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

tadashi posted:

I think Steve Sax was on the show because one of the writers was a big fantasy baseball player and Sax was very valuable due to batting average and steals compared to other 2nd basemen.

I think they wanted Ryne Sandberg initially and he turned them down, so they went with Sax.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Burns pulling Strawberry because the pitcher was a lefty is more relevant today than ever before

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Do any CSN Sportsnet goons know how to stream NBC Sports on the desktop? I've got the NBC Sports app on my iPhone and there I can just input my cable account info and watch a livestream of CSN Bay Area. The screen on my computer is way bigger though, but I can't figure out how to stream NBC online through http://www.nbcsports.com/live.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm not sure if it would really work, but Olney has an interesting idea of rewarding players who pick up their pace instead of implementing harsh rule changes:

quote:

Rather than focusing on putting teeth into the rules and trying to think of ways to penalize the violators, Major League Baseball could financially reward the players who are compliant, so they gradually build new habits and a faster-paced culture... Let's say that every hitter who does not leave the batter's box for at least 10 plate appearances in a given week gets an envelope of $1,000 in cash. Let's say that every pitcher who works at least two innings a week and averages 22 seconds or less between pitches gets an envelope of $1,000 in cash. That would mean that every Sunday, the traveling secretary for each team would walk about the clubhouse and hand out those envelopes. Wade Miley (who averaged 17.8 seconds between pitches last year), here you go, thanks for helping out. Doug Fister, here's some cash, have fun in the poker game on the flight to Seattle. Gary Sanchez, thanks for staying in the batter’s box between pitches -- kudos... this would appeal to the human nature of a lot of players: young players, who have been making almost nothing in the minors; older players, who'd like a little extra money on the road; players who'd like to pass on the cash to their favorite charity.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
That's pretty dumb

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I'm not sure if it would really work, but Olney has an interesting idea of rewarding players who pick up their pace instead of implementing harsh rule changes:

Yeah I don't much care for this idea, you're paying out bonuses for following the rules, which seems like a bad precedent.

MLB should probably actually enforce fines for pace of play stuff before they worry about bonuses.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Also no player would actually be incentivized by that. If anything a bunch of players would probably slow down and step out of the box more as a middle finger to the league. Players are already superstitious enough, if you try to take away their rituals they'll inevitably blame their poor performance on the MLB attempting to make the speed up the game.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The least intrusive way to enforce pace of play rules is to do so very stringently at the minor league level and thus ingrain habits as players develop.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every time you step out of the box it's a strike, every time you step off the rubber it's a ball

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Fund the incentives with fines for slow players. Tell slow players the exact breakdown of where their fine is going.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
After every pitch the mount moves away from the batter at ~6"/min. Faster working pitchers get an effectively faster pitch.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ichiro was involved in an outfield collision and is being held out of workouts for today with a quad. :ohdear: They said he'll be okay though.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Let the players arm themselves and allow them to shoot whoever they think is too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm not crying! YOU'RE CRYING! :cry:

• Locked thread