Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't think is official confirmation, but Luke Evans said in an interview that Helen Mirren is indeed playing the mother of the Shaw brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Good, good.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm still holding out for Helen Mirren as Mama Shaw.

gently caress yeah.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

The MSJ posted:

I don't think is official confirmation, but Luke Evans said in an interview that Helen Mirren is indeed playing the mother of the Shaw brothers.

ninjahedgehog posted:

gently caress yeah.

This. Amazing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Now we just need Timothy Dalton as the patriarch of the family and we are set.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Either him or Kurt Russell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Vince MechMahon posted:

Now we just need Timothy Dalton as the patriarch of the family and we are set.

He was so amazing in Hot Fuzz, perfect and if it weren't for him it would miss something. I wish he'd do more comedy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gatts posted:

He was so amazing in Hot Fuzz, perfect and if it weren't for him it would miss something. I wish he'd do more comedy.

Dalton is the secret best classic Bond, and pretty much always great.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/pj_campbell/status/833824842189135872

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about 4 and 7 (and 6, although to a much lesser extent) just feels off compared to the rest of the series. They feel soulless.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about 4 and 7 (and 6, although to a much lesser extent) just feels off compared to the rest of the series. They feel soulless.

I sort of know what you mean in regards to 7. I think it's represented well in the action scenes. That Caucasus chase scene in the mountains is amazing, but never quite hits the highs of something like Fury Road. It's by no means bad, but it just never gels as well as the vault scene, or the tank scene or the runway chase. There's something ineffably off about its pacing and energy.

4 is just weak as hell. It's not interesting enough to be Tokyo Drift, nor insane enough to be Rio Heist.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KaptainKrunk posted:

7, to me, honestly had the most heart of any of them. The Walker stuff got me choked up all three times I saw it in the theater.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Snowman_McK posted:

I sort of know what you mean in regards to 7. I think it's represented well in the action scenes. That Caucasus chase scene in the mountains is amazing, but never quite hits the highs of something like Fury Road. It's by no means bad, but it just never gels as well as the vault scene, or the tank scene or the runway chase. There's something ineffably off about its pacing and energy.

4 is just weak as hell. It's not interesting enough to be Tokyo Drift, nor insane enough to be Rio Heist.

My problem with 7 is that the Caucasus chase was the best scene in the movie, and it was the first big setpiece. Even with the ridiculous car jumping between buildings bit later, it was all downhill from there, and that's too bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

7, to me, honestly had the most heart of any of them. The Walker stuff got me choked up all three times I saw it in the theater.

That was actually amazing. I didn't expect one of the most sincere and beautiful cinema moments of the year to come in a movie where the Rock kills a drone with an ambulance.

Actually, the more I think about it, it's really just the action scenes that are off. But I'm not going to hold that against Wan. The rythmn behind an action scene is something that takes a really long time to get right. Chan's a master, as is Miller, and, astonishingly, Lin, but the pacing of any action scene is really hard to get. It's so easy for it to end up feeling either so frantic (like Taken 3, for instance) or so languid (like The Force Awakens) that it loses all impact. 7 isn't nearly as bad as either of them, but it isn't 6.

Some goon on here had the remarkable and believable fact that the runway chase took Lin well over a year to fully plan out, how all the pieces in play interacted with each other, never mind film.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The action scens in the lastest Bourne are another example - supposed to be high tension but super boring.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I will never say anything bad about another action scene after seeing Assassin's Creed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

I will never say anything bad about another action scene after seeing Assassin's Creed.

Wait, you actually got to see what was going on? :eyepop:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

lol I am so glad I didn't pay to see that movie. It was just...not good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You know what really makes an action scene fun and exciting? Droning sounds that I guess are technically music playing under them all.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The MSJ posted:

A reminder that Jurassic Park and F&F are both Universal IPs.

:drat:

Now I want The Rock chasing velociraptors on a motorcycle.

Edit: That scene from Jurassic Park with the T-rex chasing the jeep, except it's a bunch of genetically engineered super T-rexes chasing the Family.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roadie posted:

Fast n Furious is still building up to dinos with lasers in space.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

This summer, you will believe that a dinosaur can drift! SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2IWxqvsSY8

We're almost to the glorious future we were promised.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roadie posted:

Edit: That scene from Jurassic Park with the T-rex chasing the jeep, except it's a bunch of genetically engineered super T-rexes chasing the Family.

I was imagining almost the inverse, with raptors frantically driving a car to escape a rampaging Dwayne Johnson.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Barudak posted:

I was imagining almost the inverse, with raptors frantically driving a car to escape a rampaging Dwayne Johnson.

The exact ending of Jurassic Park, but instead of a T-Rex, it's The Rock grabbing raptors and tossing them into hanging dinosaur skeletons.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I hope when it gets closer to next season's Oscars we get Vin Diesel pointing out again that if the Academy wants to stay relevent, Fate of the Furious will win Best Picture. And every subsequent year an FF movie is released.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New trailer with mostly new footage: https://www.facebook.com/UniversalLatino/videos/1221953681185905/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Who will Ruby Rose play when they inevitably put her in the eighth movie?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Her character from xXx, except instead of sniping poachers she ramps them in a car as smol and gay as her

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Just cast everyone from xXx 3 not in F&F already. Donnie Yen, Kris Wu, Nina Dobrev, and of course Ice Cube. Wait, Sam Jackson not in one of these movies yet?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

KaptainKrunk posted:

I feel the same way, but I can excuse both of them. 4 just had a ton of work it had to do to reassemble the franchise's diaspora and set the stage for future movies, and it's hard to get that done while also having a good caper. 7 was likely a very different movie before Paul Walker returned to the source. The shift in perspective to Dom being the audience surrogate had weird tonal consequences - the audience is supposed to have some distance from Dom. He's supposed to have some mystery to him. I hope they figured that out for 8. I'm betting they did.

6, I think, is a victim of 5's success.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New trailer, yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GvX2uexGkA

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
more importantly, tickets are available.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was underwhelmed by the first trailer, but this one has me excited as hell.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I hope he rides that torpedo for a bit :twisted:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anybody else disappointed he didn't tether his waist to the car door and deadlift + throw the torpedo? I was loving POSITIVE thats where the scene was going

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The felt like one of those old trailers where they'd just show a bunch of the movie more or less uninterrupted, rather than the ultra slick editing of modern trailers. It wasn't as well cut as the first one, but hints at some loving insane set pieces.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
loving TORPEDO?

:getin:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
It would be the craziest thing if the plot flips around to being about stolen DVD players like in TF&TF 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Anybody else disappointed he didn't tether his waist to the car door and deadlift + throw the torpedo? I was loving POSITIVE thats where the scene was going

That's what he does to a second torpedo..... i hope

• Locked thread