Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

chutche2 posted:

It's standard format. I don't know how big the magic scene is but it's big enough for them to host successful PPTQs.

I guess since half our players have moved they don't see us as being valuable anymore. A shame because the next closest store for warmachine is an hour and a half away.

A successful PPTQ is like thirty people, it's not like the old days when most stores couldn't run them and it wasn't absurd to break 200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Yo, here's my 'brief' summary of all the Grymkin details they put in the latest PPPPPPPPPPodcast:

You pick the 2 extra arcana each game after seeing opponents army. There's one that provides something similar to arcane vortex (eats spells). Trump cards and arcana will be public information after selection. One card per turn, your turn or opponent turn.

The Shadow (Arcana) - When an enemy model enters the melee range of yours, if the enemy model base size is bigger than the base size of your model approached, you can place a (temporary) heavy warbeast into play within 5" of that enemy model. Lasts for one round, cannot advance but gets full turn to attack.

Warlocks are very diverse with different playstyles. Some are infantry heavy (faction has incredible infantry in general), some will be beast heavy. Every unit has a very specific role on the table. They are damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't punishing faction.

King of Nothing - Hates everything. No melee or ranged attack, CMD 1. Aura of ARM debuff, affects both enemies and friendly models. Fury 8, casts a ton of spells. When things die, he can cast spells. Has burning ash, scything touch.

The Child - Plays like Kromac2, gets up in your face. Very aggressive. Abuse for her warbeasts. MAT 8, 2 pow 15 initials, retaliatory strike, bulldoze, gets stronger as she gets damaged (+str/+arm). Fury 7

The Heretic - The most straightforward. Guided on PS14 weapon. Fury 7. Has spell Fury, Hex-blast, wall of fire, gallows. Less tricky, more direct. Trump card: When an enemy destroys a warrior model, your army gets prey against that model. If you kill that model, you can move the prey-like-token to a new target. Can steal spells.

The Wanderer - Defensive warlock. Focused around denail, frustrating the opponent, ruining their plans. Fury 6. Fog of War, Starcrossed, Admonition. Infantry focused, but can run beasts. Ranged weapon is a lantern, Spray 10, has Beacon and Flare (but no damage). Can put down 3 crossroads tokens. If anything touches them, they go away. At the start of his next turn, he can teleport to one. His trump card is when you touch one of these, it befuddles d3+3 of the opponents models. So there's a risk anytime you try to get rid of a crossroad marker.

The Dreamer - Most awkward/weird of the casters. No damaging attacks, but has an influence gun that makes them stationary after the influence move/attack. Artifice of Deviation, Enfeeble (-2 to attack and damage for target model/unit), Mirage. Hat Trick (passive ability) - When you kill an enemy model, she can spend a fury to turn that model into 1 of 3 phantasms. Small base, medium base, large base. Only one of each in play at a time. Small base one is a teddy bear holding a rifle with a khador hat, has marked target. Medium base one is channeler. Large one is titan gladiator pinata, bulldoze and when it's destroyed enemy upkeeps within 8" go away. All 3 have annoyance as well.

Old Witch 2/3 - OW2 is a Khador Caster, OW3 is a Grymkin Warlock. Almost identical stats, same feat, almost identical spell lists. Respawn/Rebuild. The scrapjack special ability list is different between OW2/OW3. OW3 has a feat, does not use arcana cards at all.

Only 2 heavies in the faction:
Skin and bones - Reach spd 6 heavy. POW 16, gets stronger with corpses.
Cage Rager - Defensive, arcane denial. Tankier than Skin and Bones, SPD 4. Support heavy.

3 lights:
Frightmare - Ranged light warbeast. Horse on two legs with face coming out of it's mouth. AoE Corrosion gun, counterblast.
Gorehound - Super cheap, extended range. Like a Raek in stats/role. Has pull on his reach weapon to be a threat extender.
Rattler - Infantry lawnmower. Can gain berzerk, currently has sidestep (may become overtake). MAT 6, POW13, 2 initials.

Lesser warbeast:
Crabbits - Crab rabbits. King of Nothing works well with them. Shredder with shield guard that can hop.

Death Knell - Battle engine collects corpses (enemy and friendly, but you cannot kill own stuff) within 8" and protects army. Has protective aura (like Krielstone, but uses corpses instead). Can hand off corpses to other models to help out Cage Rager and the like. Entropic Force, Finisher. Very important for the faction, will show up in a lot of lists (most lists will start from a perspective of Death Knell or not).

Glimmer Imp - Little imp, Has a spoon to steal eyeballs, blinds on hit. Autodamage. Debuff aura, if enemy has LoS and in his CMD of 5", enemy get -2 DEF.

Neighslayer - Gremlins riding hobby horses (with actual horse heads). POW 7 AP, small based cav unit. 1 damage box each.

Piggybacks - Heavy infantry, goblins with pigs riding on their backs. Multiple wounds, shield wall, tough, snacking, impervious flesh. Some form of recursion as well (based on other units to be talked about next cast)

More Infantry and solos to come in the next Primecast, which will land during the CID for this faction.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Well hello there, fellow goon. Will you be attending the "auction" this Sunday?

Also, for anyone in the Philadelphia area, Showcase Comics Swarthmore is having an auction of a bunch of Warman's stuff. If people are interested, I can post up a list of the "lots" for you guys to see. Lots of 40K poo poo, and a few people dumped their entire warmahorde collections (mainly trolls and convergence).

I put auctions and lots in quotes because it's not an actual auction so much as a bunch of nerds in a room waving signs and screeching numbers for mandollies.

I dumped my entire Circle into it, and I'm hoping to pick up the full Rhulic army

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

CaptCommy posted:

Only 2 heavies in the faction:
Skin and bones - Reach spd 6 heavy. POW 16, gets stronger with corpses.
Cage Rager - Defensive, arcane denial. Tankier than Skin and Bones, SPD 4. Support heavy.

This is dumb. This is real dumb.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Unless they have the rage animus I see stuff like Hark just walking over them.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Unless they have the rage animus I see stuff like Hark just walking over them.

Well, they do have a unit of small based weaponmasters. And an arm debuff aura.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 22, 2017

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

chutche2 posted:

Well, they do have a unit of small based weaponmasters. And an arm debuff aura.

And a unit of POW 7 AP cav (infantry hitting Khador jacks at dice - 3 is not a bad start). They're meant to be an dude focused faction; it was repeated a number of times through the cast that their infantry is the real strength.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

CaptCommy posted:

And a unit of POW 7 AP cav (infantry hitting Khador jacks at dice - 3 is not a bad start). They're meant to be an dude focused faction; it was repeated a number of times through the cast that their infantry is the real strength.

So *THIS* is why Cryx got taken out back and shot in the head...

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

CaptCommy posted:

Yes, and mark 3 contains a metric gently caress ton of infantry hate and a requirement to take a bunch of points in beasts.

Also, as a long time troll player lol @ protective aura battle engine good luck with that.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Kithkar posted:

Yes, and mark 3 contains a metric gently caress ton of infantry hate and a requirement to take a bunch of points in beasts.

Also, as a long time troll player lol @ protective aura battle engine good luck with that.

So a lot of their casters are just going to run at minimum beast points with the arcane vortex guy, and either some lights or some shield guard lessers. So what? That's 75 points of fantastic infantry.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

chutche2 posted:

So a lot of their casters are just going to run at minimum beast points with the arcane vortex guy, and either some lights or some shield guard lessers. So what? That's 75 points of fantastic infantry.

Like I just said, there is a lot more infantry hate this edition and also you should wait till the end of the CID before calling anything fantastic. Also, without variety in list building poo poo will get old quick.

Also, 2 heavies seems lazy as poo poo considering almost everything else they put out is a multi kit these days. Just come up with another set of arms or some poo poo and give people list building options.

I'm not saying its gonna be bad, I'm saying its not well thought out given this is a limited faction.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Not sure how they'd do possible shipping or whatever (or if they're selling to people who aren't there) but I may be in the market for some convergence, depending on what's available/price.

You have to be there in person to bid. I would offer to help you out, but my phone gets zero signal in the shop.

However, a local gaming store I frequent on Thursday may still have some convergence models laying around. Someone came in and dumped a bunch of models, and the store owner has been trying to offload them on someone ever since. I'll check to see if he still has it for you. Anything specific you want?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I dumped my entire Circle into it, and I'm hoping to pick up the full Rhulic army

I was looking into starting a second army, but I think I'm going to save my money for that new Grymdank faction announced. I'll just pretend most of the rhulic stuff does not exist.

Besides, my eyes are on terrain and whatnot. The other store I play at has a serious terrain problem (in that it lacks any good terrain).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Feat turn from hark would still be brutal for ap 7, because of all the boxes to go through.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Feat turn from hark would still be brutal for ap 7, because of all the boxes to go through.

The AP unit can get scything touch put on them. And the caster with scything touch has in addition an arm debuff aura. And they have a solo that on death gives +1 attack and damage for a round for the entire army. And if you are fighting hark I'm sure you'll have a chance to pick arcana that counter that.

I think it'll be ok

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The guy with 1 cmd? Is is aura the size of his command? It probably is if they're mentioning it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The guy with 1 cmd? Is is aura the size of his command? It probably is if they're mentioning it.

They said in primecast that the 1 cmd thing rarely comes up, the only thing it's relevant for is some arcana have a cmd range. They're still testing the range of the debuff.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ah okay. Well it'll be cool to see if it works. Maybe it'll keep the miserable metal mountain honest and force them to take one unit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

chutche2 posted:

The AP unit can get scything touch put on them. And the caster with scything touch has in addition an arm debuff aura. And they have a solo that on death gives +1 attack and damage for a round for the entire army. And if you are fighting hark I'm sure you'll have a chance to pick arcana that counter that.

I think it'll be ok

whoa whoa whoa whoa that's dangerously close to something like cautious optimism, sir

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

S.J. posted:

whoa whoa whoa whoa that's dangerously close to something like cautious optimism, sir

I mean obviously I'm not going to buy them because this is a dying game and their warbeasts have garbage models but mechanically the faction seems sound so far

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
The more I hear about the new Hordes faction, the more convinced I get to buy into it. I've been looking for a new reason to bitch about the game being poo poo ever since my Cygnar mans became best faction.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ShowTime posted:

Don't think you are superior because you play a different game then someone else. I only mention those other games because the average player age is much lower than the average age of a magic player. Trust me, magic players talk about minis players and their toys as much as minis players talk about magic players and their cardboard.

Like for sure that first sentence is legit as gently caress, no two ways. But I would say I am primarily a magic player, and a Warmachine player second. HOWEVER, I would take the community from smog con over the community from any magic event I've been to, every time. Seriously amazing crowd.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The last time I played magic: the gathering my opponent won by 2 life and 1 turn, then proceeded to egt out of his seat, throw his arms in the air, and yell "YEAH" in the store. I don't play magic any more.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Jimmy Hats posted:

The last time I played magic: the gathering my opponent won by 2 life and 1 turn, then proceeded to egt out of his seat, throw his arms in the air, and yell "YEAH" in the store. I don't play magic any more.

Last time I played M:TG, it was a release event about a year ago. I told my event partner that for me to stay and play, I had to be drunk. He was cool with it, so we got blitzed half hour before the midnight release, and between matches would take shots to keep the good feelings going strong.

We only got away with this because me and my event partner know the event organizer. The EO only threatened to throw us out twice for being loud.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

We only got away with this because me and my event partner know the event organizer. The EO only threatened to throw us out twice for being loud.

I don't really think this is something to brag about. Being that loud, obnoxious guy isn't something most people are proud of.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

ShowTime posted:

I don't really think this is something to brag about. Being that loud, obnoxious guy isn't something most people are proud of.

You can't tell me what to do. You ain't my real dad.

But you are right - I shouldn't be proud of this. I still am though, because I'm a terrible person with no redeemable qualities.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

I still am though, because I'm a terrible person with no redeemable qualities.

Magicplayer.text

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

!Klams posted:

Like for sure that first sentence is legit as gently caress, no two ways. But I would say I am primarily a magic player, and a Warmachine player second. HOWEVER, I would take the community from smog con over the community from any magic event I've been to, every time. Seriously amazing crowd.

Smogcon was amazing. Except death to timed turns. Mostly just blasted around in the Iron Arena, and played in one SR. Dallas' painting stuff was amazing.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

ShowTime posted:

What if your just that all the time, and it only gets WORSE when you drink?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I'm excited as h*ck for the next KingdomCon and that's almost entirely due to the community of Warmachine people who end up making the trek every year.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ShowTime posted:

I don't really think this is something to brag about.

I agree, nobody should be proud about playing magic in public

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

ShowTime posted:

Being that loud, obnoxious guy isn't something most people are proud of.

Those people are just jealous of how much fun I am having.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mp5 posted:

I'm excited as h*ck for the next KingdomCon and that's almost entirely due to the community of Warmachine people who end up making the trek every year.

Hell yeah buddy but I'm really more excited for it because of Drunkquest.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

theironjef posted:

Hell yeah buddy but I'm really more excited for it because of Drunkquest.

The one and only time I played Drunkquest there (2015), I sat next to someone who was pregaming with a bottle of wine.

naturally he didn't make it through DQ

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Lightweight.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

mp5 posted:

The one and only time I played Drunkquest there (2015), I sat next to someone who was pregaming with a bottle of wine.

If you pregame on wine, you have a problem.

Now I want to play beer machine to feed my alcoholism.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
How does one play Beer Machine?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mp5 posted:

I won my table and woke up with someone's vape in my pocket. Still not sure what happened there. Our table also had three people bring extra drinks since apparently they run out sometimes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just your friendly every day reminder that timed turns are godlike and amazing and death clocks are for losers

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 23, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

How does one play Beer Machine?

Take a drink for rerolls or something. You gain benifits for drinking, which leads to bad calls and the need for those benifits in a death spiral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!

rydiafan posted:

My local store banned YuGiOh after somebody poo poo on the floor.

No, this isn't hyperbole or a joke.

Why!?!

My old local area had mtg "hustlers" who would scam newer players out of money cards.