Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

homullus posted:

My faint hope is that Andromeda is just setting the stage for all kinds of space opera adventures in the Mass Effect IP without needing to worry about "Earth" and "the fate of the galaxy" and "the same iconic protagonist every game." I would pay full price for a ME "imperial agent storyline" game even if it was literally the same with the serial numbers filed off.

That would be very nice. I always thought there was room in the previous series for small stories. Tell me that people wouldn't have thrown money at Bioware for episodic content/dlc that featured Garrus on a covert op or Wrex and Grunt on a field trip through some thresher maw infested valley on Tuchunka.

Deakul posted:

Some guy that apparently played the game says that there's no longer any squad mate power control.
:ohdear: I hope it isn't true... otherwise we're at the mercy of Bioware's... ai.

Pretty sure that contradicts what Bioware has said so far and I'm going to believe them over someone on Neogaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trast posted:

That would be very nice. I always thought there was room in the previous series for small stories. Tell me that people wouldn't have thrown money at Bioware for episodic content/dlc that featured Garrus on a covert op or Wrex and Grunt on a field trip through some thresher maw infested valley on Tuchunka.

My dream game would be Mass Effect: Thief where you play as Kasumi stealing valuable tech and relics from all the disparate races of the Milky Way galaxy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Mass Effect: Blasto

rip and tear across the universe like a gummy doomguy

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

homullus posted:

My faint hope is that Andromeda is just setting the stage for all kinds of space opera adventures in the Mass Effect IP without needing to worry about "Earth" and "the fate of the galaxy" and "the same iconic protagonist every game." I would pay full price for a ME "imperial agent storyline" game even if it was literally the same with the serial numbers filed off.

This is the Dragon Age model, and I'm sure Bioware will use it after the ME3 ending fiasco. They obviously don't want to give up on the Mass Effect IP, and this is the best way forward for the series. It already sounds as if Andromeda is more like DA2 in scope, without world threatening evils to defeat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I believe the Sith Warrior writer is writing Peebee

So if you liked Vette, I guess you may be in luck

Sith Warrior was above average. I didn't hate Miranda or Sera or Vette, and Peebee sounds more interesting than Liara, so I guess I may indeed be in luck.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

This is the Dragon Age model, and I'm sure Bioware will use it after the ME3 ending fiasco. They obviously don't want to give up on the Mass Effect IP, and this is the best way forward for the series. It already sounds as if Andromeda is more like DA2 in scope, without world threatening evils to defeat.

DA2 sure, the other 2 DA games still do the whole epic hero's journey thing. DA:I really didn't need it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

homullus posted:

Sith Warrior was above average. I didn't hate Miranda or Sera or Vette, and Peebee sounds more interesting than Liara, so I guess I may indeed be in luck.

i really hope her eyebrows come up in conversation at least once and it turns out she's a mutant and super self conscious and so slathers the black face paint on to try to hide them

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

homullus posted:

Light Side Sith Warrior is easily the 1b to the Imperial Agent storyline's 1a.

Driving Jedi to the dark side of the force by being super nice to them will never not be amazing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dexo posted:

Light Side Sith Warrior is easily the 1b to the Imperial Agent storyline's 1a.

Driving Jedi to the dark side of the force by being super nice to them will never not be amazing.

Especially since you get to lecture them about their weak moral fiber during and after.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It was posted earlier, but I am posting it again: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

Does a great job of explaining why Mass Effect is pretty good and why Mass Effect 2 and 3 are 90% poo poo.

For example, why Miranda is terrible:

quote:

Miranda is a disaster of conflicting purposes. We’re supposed to believe that this lady is a brilliant medical researcher, and a badass merc, and a super-biotic, and the leader of the research project that CURED DEATH, and a natural team leader, and she barely looks thirty. Even Wesley Crusher wasn’t that big of a miracle child. And then on top of this she’s got this ongoing sob story about growing up fabulously rich and having high expectations placed on her. So on top of her amazing abilities and her insufferable smugness, she’s got this horrible case of daddy issues and first-world problems.

And then she has the nerve to be an rear end in a top hat towards Jack, who was literally tortured as a child by Cerberus. The moment Jack gets on the ship, Miranda starts antagonizing her in the most childish, highschool-drama-bullshit kind of way. If Miranda is so smart, then why would she support the idea of recruiting an unstable psycho killer for a serious mission? And even if we buy that, how stupid and childish is it to deliberately provoke and taunt her like this? If Miranda is such an awesome leader, then why is she doing the thing most likely to make Jack freak out and cause problems? (And it does indeed cause problems later.)

This would be fine, in a “drama resulting from different viewpoints” kind of way, but you can’t call her out on her bullshit. Like Jacob, she trusts Cerberus and thinks they’re okay despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, but she never discusses why. She doesn’t have to defend Cerberus because the writer doesn’t allow you to challenge her on Cerberus. Technically that’s the writer’s fault, not hers, but the problem arises when the player is talking to her and so she ends up taking the blame for Shepard’s neutered dialog wheel.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
See what I said about the obsessive nature of hatred for ME.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mass Effect 2 is still an overall superior game to ME1. Most of the cast in ME1 aren't actual characters, they're mouthpieces for an almanac about their species or an archetype Bioware has already done before wearing a rubber alien suit (Wrex).

Also Mass Effect 1s core gameplay is awful. It's a bad RPG and a bad shooter taped together.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

It was posted earlier, but I am posting it again: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

Does a great job of explaining why Mass Effect is pretty good and why Mass Effect 2 and 3 are 90% poo poo.

It was posted earlier and I think people here did a good job of tearing it apart. It's not a good critique and is too focused on an imagined cultural shift.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AlternateAccount posted:

counterpoint: I'm an assman

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
I repeat, that review is an incredibly long and tedious screed that both goes into way too much detail on why obviously bad things are bad, and is just flat wrong much of the time. Based on his criticism of Miranda, if he rewrote all the characters to be to his liking, they'd all be bland, boring, morally unambiguous heroes.

The bad thing about Miranda's character is that you're listening to her tearful sob story about her kidnapped sister while staring up her rear end in a top hat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If I were permitted to psychoanalyse Shamus Young I'd probably point out that giant essay series as saying more about the scifi novel he was having difficulty writing at the same time as ME3's release and which he abandoned shortly afterwards.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

counterpoint: I'm an assman

fuckin right

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mirandas core character concept is perfectly fine though the execution is wanting at times. She's a literal engineered ubermenschen who is smug as hell to mask the fact that, because she is a literal ubermenschen, she doesn't entirely feel like she's earned her achievements. It's a good scifi premise.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

AlternateAccount posted:

Don't worry man I still read that giant thing and enjoyed the parts I agreed with.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AlternateAccount posted:

Nah, this is pretty much a garbage autistic over analysis of a pulpy scifi video game series.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did Bioware ever say anything about why they had the organization that revives Shepard be Cerberus? Or rather, why they bothered connecting it to ME1's Cerberus in the first place? It would have solved a lot of it if Shepard had never encountered them before. The whole "are they terrorists or just looking out for number one" thing is stupid on its own because we knew already that yes, they are, and really lovely ones who keep killing themselves at that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 22, 2017

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Captain Oblivious posted:

Mass Effect 2 is still an overall superior game to ME1.

ME2 is a superior game to basically everything from that entire generation to be fair.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm sure there's a codex entry somewhere, but is it explained how all of these alien races speak perfect English? I assume there's some babelfish gizmo in everyone's ears but can't recall. I'll be interested to see how they address it with a bunch of brand new non-Citadel races but won't be surprised if it never comes up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm sure there's a codex entry somewhere, but is it explained how all of these alien races speak perfect English? I assume there's some babelfish gizmo in everyone's ears but can't recall. I'll be interested to see how they address it with a bunch of brand new non-Citadel races but won't be surprised if it never comes up.

Omni tools translate in real-time iirc. There was a thing they were doing leading up to ME3 about how a new species just was discovered and the tools had to update their libraries.

It must suck to be those guys; if they had waited like a week to go to space they wouldn't have to have dealt with giant squid robots.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Automatic translator computers that somehow work just as well as the translator microbes from Farscape.

It doesn't really make sense, but tbh I prefer it this way over the alternative.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, I am pretty sure I am not the only one that felt that the tonal shift between the first game and the sequels was massive and bad. The major plots of 2 and 3 were nonsensical and pretty much utter trash.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
On one hand, I want Andromeda to be a success, because for better or worse, I'd like there to continue being Mass Effect games. On the other, I want it to fail enough that EA and/or what's left of BioWare come to the conclusion that yeah, nuking awesome universe we established in the first game was a really dumb way to end a trilogy, and they retcon the poo poo out of ME3 to give us more games in the Milky Way, and perhaps bring back certain characters for cameos from time to time.

It just feels lovely to be starting over 600 years later with nothing to show for our time as Shepard, though perhaps it's an apt metaphor for games in general. We're just wasting our time on stupid toys.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Hobo Clown posted:

it's basically that -- everyone has an auto-translator

there was a missed opportunity for a mission against the Reapers where they disable your autotranslators and suddenly Garrus is purr-clucking at you in High Turian or whatever

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh, in case anyone was wondering, the 7 day free trial of origin access does give you the ten percent off purchased if you are inclined toward pre-purchasing MEA with a small discount. It's also covered under their GREAT GAMES guarantee, so if you decide it's hot garbage, you can get your money back even in extremely anti-consumer US.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mass Effect 3 is fine, the ending is fine, most of the poor writing in the game is down to fundamental flaws in Bioware's general writing style and aren't unique to ME3, the biggest problem with the ending is the editing/pacing is really off.

RBA Starblade posted:

Did Bioware ever say anything about why they had the organization that revives Shepard be Cerberus? Or rather, why they bothered connecting it to ME1's Cerberus in the first place? It would have solved a lot of it if Shepard had never encountered them before. The whole "are they terrorists or just looking out for number one" thing is stupid on its own because we knew already that yes, they are, and really lovely ones who keep killing themselves at that.

Original plan was for the True Geth to resurrect Shepard, hence the original ME2 teaser featuring a geth wearing the N7 armour (which would eventually become Legion's design). I think this would've been too tricky to implement, but the core of the idea is that Shepard is teaming up with former enemies to take on the real threat of the Reapers and their Collector patsies, and that made it through into the final Cerberus plotline.

I think you just have to write off the Cerberus portrayal in ME1 as a bad first draft - ruthless shadow government is far better than the aimless incoherent incompetent rogue black ops group with no real agenda or MO.

AlternateAccount posted:

AlternateAccount if you are going to continue to post Shamus Young in this thread then I feel you should address the following concerns:
  • why is Shamus unable to accurately recall basic details about the game, like what exactly is happening with the Temple of Athame on Thessia or the tone of voice Miranda uses in the ME2 intro
  • why is Shamus unable to commit to making a point without walking it back with a proviso
  • why is Shamus unable to make analogies to anything aside from basicbro nerd mass media, i.e. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Trek and Star Wars (and why he has to make so many in the first place)
  • why is Shamus unable to discuss anything other than the plot of the game, e.g. music, art direction, colour palette, gameplay mechanics
  • why is Shamus unable to explain the "themes, ideas, philosophy and tone" of the series despite promising to do so
or just not post him. thanks.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Miranda is a bad character cuz there's no way an Australian, even a space-Australian, would ever be that competent. She also talks a huge amount and never utters the word 'fella' once, poo poo is just unrealistic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I think you just have to write off the Cerberus portrayal in ME1 as a bad first draft - ruthless shadow government is far better than the aimless incoherent incompetent rogue black ops group with no real agenda or MO.

Yeah, that's mostly what you have to do even if you took the background that makes it sort of a big deal (I did lol). That's been talked to death though. It being a holdover from a more general plot about allying with all your old enemies has it make more sense.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
cards against humanity is doing a thing:

https://totallyfuckablealiens.com/

quote:

The Mass Effect Pack is a collaboration between Cards Against Humanity and BioWare — 14 brand new cards* about valuable intellectual property: Mass Effect™.

We thought if we wrote a pack with BioWare, they would let us play the new Mass Effect game early. That did not happen, but here we are anyway.

Claim your limited–edition pack for $1 (including U.S. shipping) now. Our brand synergy is “out of this world.”

*Missing cards to be sold later as DLC.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kaptainkaffeine posted:

How are Mordin and Thane alive in this fanart? Not Canon

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They better have Quarian/Tali sweat as a card

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

kaptainkaffeine posted:

quote:

Frequently Asked Questions
Should I buy this if I've never played the Mass Effect series?
Probably not.
Does this have Andromeda spoilers?
No, they wouldn't let us play it.
Is this a limited run?
We'll sell these until we run out. Together we can stop Sovereign!
Can I cancel my order?
We don't have to submit to the Reapers. We can beat them! You can't cancel your order.
I want to complain about the ending of Mass Effect 3.
Still? Okay, email EntitledWhining@cardsagainsthumanity.com

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to email that address and see if it's an actual thing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure there's an :ironicat: large enough for Lt. Danger trying to :iceburn: Shamus Young but there we are.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

orcane posted:

I'm not sure there's an :ironicat: large enough for Lt. Danger trying to :iceburn: Shamus Young but there we are.

Maybe just link his LP of ME3 if you feel that strongly about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Come fight me cowards